Thank you, President Bush

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Re: Thank you, President Bush

Postby mosc » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:12 am UTC

I don't give him a pass on fostering a culture of ignoring Islamic extremists in government either. People forget Clinton went on the offense in the middle of the election and Bush blasted him for wasting money and promised to not do the same. Thanks, jackass. He took off how many days after the inauguration? I think the stat was he was on retreat more than actually in the office those first 6 months.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

LeopoldBloom

Postby LeopoldBloom » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:29 am UTC

And thanks for giving all us none Americans a pleasant feeling of superiority :D
Nuke the Gay Islamic Whales for Jesus!!!!!

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:52 am UTC

In January, more American soldiers died from suicide than were killed in Iraq. 24.

We have asked for repeated sacrifice and failed to support our veterans.

Bubbles McCoy

Postby Bubbles McCoy » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:52 am UTC

The 2008 army suicide rate (128) was still significantly lower than the national average of 17 per 100,000 seeing as there are a million active members...

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:56 am UTC

LeopoldBloom wrote:And thanks for giving all us non-Americans a pleasant feeling of superiority :D

Fixed it for you. Just noticed this now when the thread got resurrected.
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

StonewallSteiny

Postby StonewallSteiny » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:12 am UTC

I think, for people who seem to be above the average intelligence from everything I've ever seen on this site, you are all being VERY biased.

History has several examples of cases where the public's opinion of a president changed drastically after he left office, and they have been stated in this thread, and still many of you continue to say, "I HATE HIM, HE'S THE WORST PRESIDENT."

I am in NO WAY stating that opinions of him will change, but I am saying that no matter your opinion of him, you should still recognize that it is near impossible to tell the effects of a president's actions right after he has left office.

I really never thought I'd ever defend Bush, but you guys are being pretty ignorant for the smartest forum I frequent.

P.S. The financial crisis we are currently facing is much more a product of horrible business standards than mis-management on the government's side.

mosc

Postby mosc » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:42 am UTC

StonewallSteiny wrote:P.S. The financial crisis we are currently facing is much more a product of horrible business standards than mis-management on the government's side.
Bullshit. He passed a ridiculous "tax cut" bill that put us on a spiral of borrowing and seriously hampered the funding of many of the social institutions (like mortgage assistance for sub-prime borrowers) which could have seriously cushioned this fall. It also directly led to "investment" in these high interest mortgages (sub-prime mostly). Banks trading these high-risk mortgages as ASSETS was a route cause in this nonsense.
Last edited by mosc on Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:47 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:46 am UTC

Hmm, so I guess variable-rate mortgages and banks lending money to anyone and their dog who couldn't afford it but were suckered anyway didn't play a part at all, huh?

(I'm not defending Bush, but businesses have AT LEAST as much blame as the government)
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

mosc

Postby mosc » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:49 am UTC

Read the damn link. It changed the classifications for mortgage based investments to essentially asset level which made them extremely attractive holdings for many banks that had no business in such high risk positions. The sub-prime mortgage crisis is in many ways directly related to the 2003 tax cuts.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:02 am UTC

And I'm not saying Bush isn't responsible for his share. Saying he (or the government in general) is the only one responsible is stupid. Tons of businesses made very bad decisions then, and not just those I mentioned in my previous post.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

Habz

Postby Habz » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:37 am UTC

Which is why it would be nice if majority of the elected officials were smart enough not to pass such bills to begin with. After that it was just greedy people being greedy. Free-market-capitalism fuck yah!

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:08 pm UTC

Habz wrote:Which is why it would be nice if majority of the elected officials were smart enough not to pass such bills to begin with. After that it was just greedy people being greedy. Free-market-capitalism fuck yah!

But the elected offials just passed the tax cut because of partizanship and lobbiest, so the polotitians were just greedy people being greedy. Therefore the public should have elected better officials. Or the founding fathers should have set up a better system to prevent lobbists and the two party system.

OR we could blame people for their actions and not excuse businesses who saw a flawed system and exploited it knowing that it might eventually hurt the whole country. They should have been blowing whistles not making bank.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Habz

Postby Habz » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:25 pm UTC

Actually, it was pretty much the elected republicans passing the tax cut. So the republicans were just being greedy. And yes, the public should have elected better officials. (Are we on to something here perhaps...?)

Of course it might have been the democrats voting against the bill just because. Somehow I don't believe it though.

The two party system in the U.S seems nowadays reduced to just waving e(lectoral)-peens all over the Legislative Branch, which doesn't appear as a very effective way of governing a country...

StonewallSteiny

Postby StonewallSteiny » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:30 pm UTC

BoomFrog wrote:OR we could blame people for their actions and not excuse businesses who saw a flawed system and exploited it knowing that it might eventually hurt the whole country. They should have been blowing whistles not making bank.

'Hurt the whole country' should be preceded by 'make themselves go bankrupt, and'

It wasn't just greed that made the businesses do this, it was stupidity. Yes they made money in the short term but look where it has gotten them, barely afloat and begging the government for money.

And really it seems, to me at least, that it's never the case that one party is right, and the other is wrong. One party does things one way, and takes the country toward their view of ideal, and then everyone gets sick of that ideal and the other party takes it back to the middle ground. Everyone wants moderation, so we need both sides. PLEASE try to keep so objectivity when looking at the political scene, it helps to not be immediately biased when listening to politicians.

Return to “News & Articles”