Wind turbine hit by UFO.

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

dic_penderyn

Wind turbine hit by UFO.

Postby dic_penderyn » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:32 am UTC

Very odd story.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/linc ... 817378.stm
I cant think what could have hit the turbine blades to cause so much damage and still leave with no trace.
It rules out aircraft surely?

tgjensen

Re: Wind turbine hit by UFO.

Postby tgjensen » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:12 pm UTC

Last year this happened to a Danish wind turbine after the internal brakes failed during a storm. Perhaps this one also failed, and one wing broke off and damaged the other.

dic_penderyn

Postby dic_penderyn » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:20 pm UTC

Yes I just found that video too.
The problem is that if the turbine fails in that way , its a catastrophic failure. The UK turbine failure is different IMO.
There are also very credible reports of a low flying plane in the area seen by at least 30 people.
Its just odd that whatever hit it, managed to limp away .

Klapaucius

Postby Klapaucius » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:56 am UTC

dic_penderyn wrote:Yes I just found that video too.
The problem is that if the turbine fails in that way , its a catastrophic failure. The UK turbine failure is different IMO.
There are also very credible reports of a low flying plane in the area seen by at least 30 people.
Its just odd that whatever hit it, managed to limp away .
No airborne object of that size that is capable of limping could possibly be of terrestrial origin.
500%!

harpyblues

Postby harpyblues » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:56 am UTC

UFOs and drunk driving, don't do it, kids.
michaelandjimi wrote:But these are zombies of cuteness!

Zak

Postby Zak » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:12 am UTC

UFOs and drunk driving, if you do do it, take some credible pictures fer chrissakes! None of that shakey inebrieated photoghraphy stuff here.
*waggles eyebrows*

CivilDefense700

Postby CivilDefense700 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:51 pm UTC

You know what we can gather from this right?
Aliens don't want us to fix our energy issues, they want us to destroy our planet and thus our selves because they see us as too hostile.
Or they want to claim the new toasty planet all for themselves.
"I happen to have access to one of the sexiest lasers on the eastern seaboard."

Godskalken

Postby Godskalken » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:57 pm UTC

If you read some of the other articles on this, it becomes obvious what it is. For example http://www.windaction.org/news/19391 .
Mr John Harrison, Saltfleetby described how on Saturday night, January 3 he looked out of his landing window to see a 'massive ball of light' with 'tentacles going right down to the ground' over Conisholme wind farm.

The windmill was Touched by His noodly appendage.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:18 pm UTC

The spokesman says it could have been caused by something 'the size of a cow'. That's not very heavy.

Could it have been caused by a particularly big bird? They don't weigh as much as cows, obviously, but perhaps the spokesperson was overestimating the force required.

Another possibility is ice falling off an aircraft. Blocks of ice falling off aircraft are known to happen. Since ice would melt after hitting the ground (assuming it wasn't freezing there... hmmm), it wouldn't leave a trace either. Assuming it took them a while to discover something was wrong, of course.

Neither are particularly good explanations. I realize that. But it's the best I could come up with. And whatever the origin is, it has to be something very rare, so we are free to include some unlikely stuff in our explanations.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:28 pm UTC

If we're going to trust the spokesperson even within an order of magnitude, I strongly doubt the ice hypothesis. Blocks of ice the size of a cow (or even close) are not going to be on any plane allowed to take off.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Mercurius

Postby Mercurius » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:22 pm UTC

To be honest, if I had travelled from another solar system to find out I was in Lincolnshire, I'd be tempted to violently damage something as well. Its really quite explainable when you think about it like that.
You know, I'm not really sure what "socioeconomic class" I am. I'm richer than my parents, I don't have a real job, and my mannerisms tend to match up with whomever I'm talking to.

...is "con man" a social class?

wst

Postby wst » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:25 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:The spokesman says it could have been caused by something 'the size of a cow'. That's not very heavy.
I wasn't playing with my trebuchet that night...
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:30 pm UTC

Sorry guys, my fault. Was testing out my new railgun on my neighbour's car.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Dr_Gonzo

Postby Dr_Gonzo » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:32 pm UTC

BTW, lmfao@the name of the County Councillor's name. Robert Palmer look it up. XD
"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." -Richard Dawkins

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:59 pm UTC

Godskalken wrote:
Mr John Harrison, Saltfleetby described how on Saturday night, January 3 he looked out of his landing window to see a 'massive ball of light' with 'tentacles going right down to the ground' over Conisholme wind farm.
Sounds like ball lightning.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:59 pm UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:
Godskalken wrote:
Sounds like ball lightning.

HAIL YOG-SOTHOTH!
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Return to “News & Articles”