Classiest soap opera ever.

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Torvaun

Classiest soap opera ever.

Postby Torvaun » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Hubsi Kramar is producing a satirical soap opera based on Josef Friztl, the Austrian man who kept his daughter prisoner for 24 years, not to mention fathering 7 children with her via countless rapes.

link
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

apeman5291

Re: Classiest soap opera ever.

Postby apeman5291 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:02 pm UTC

In b4 flood of soap opera name puns.

But really? "Fritzl's Bed and Breakfast?" Wow... All I can say is that I'm glad it's a comedy, and not serious.
What you don't understand, you can make mean anything.

cwoodin

Postby cwoodin » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:24 am UTC

Yeah, I'd probably watch this.
He said he never tells a lie!
He was lying about that.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:27 am UTC

Umm. Isn't this severely trivializing both rape and child abuse? That is really . . ..horrible.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

roc314
Is dead, and you have killed him

Postby roc314 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:41 am UTC

sje46 wrote:Umm. Isn't this severely trivializing both rape and child abuse? That is really . . ..horrible.
If done correctly, no. Sweeny Todd didn't trivialize cannibalism, it just made it funny.

If done wrongly, yes.

I think this has a lot of potential (and a lot of potential to royally fuck things up). I hope they do it well.
Hippo: roc is the good little communist that lurks in us all
Richard Stallman: Geeks like to think that they can ignore politics, you can leave politics alone, but politics won't leave you alone.
suffer-cait: roc's a pretty cool dude

JazzyG

Postby JazzyG » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:33 am UTC

Way too soon, surely.
"Never teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig" - anon

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:50 am UTC

Ever thought that the intent of some media is solely to incite shock?

Either it'll be funny, or shocking, or shocking and funny. As long as it came out the way the author intended it's a win for him.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:37 pm UTC

I lol'd

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:32 pm UTC

roc314 wrote:
sje46 wrote:Umm. Isn't this severely trivializing both rape and child abuse? That is really . . ..horrible.
If done correctly, no. Sweeny Todd didn't trivialize cannibalism, it just made it funny.

"Correctly"? Sorry, but I'm just not seeing the potential for "making it funny" in decades of incestuous rape and sickeningly severe child abuse. I guess I'm weird that way.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:48 pm UTC

Jack Saladin wrote:"Correctly"? Sorry, but I'm just not seeing the potential for "making it funny" in decades of incestuous rape and sickeningly severe child abuse. I guess I'm weird that way.

I concur, and as if that wasn't enough, Sweeny Todd wasn't real, and even if he was it wasn't in living memory.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:49 pm UTC

Seriously. If you can't see the difference between a darkly humorous and exaggeratedly gruesome urban myth, and a terrible and very recent real life rape case, then, well, I really don't know what the fuck is wrong with your head.

roc314
Is dead, and you have killed him

Postby roc314 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:55 pm UTC

Jack Saladin wrote:
roc314 wrote:If done correctly, no. Sweeny Todd didn't trivialize cannibalism, it just made it funny.
"Correctly"? Sorry, but I'm just not seeing the potential for "making it funny" in decades of incestuous rape and sickeningly severe child abuse. I guess I'm weird that way.
It would have to be really dark humor and ensure that the father is a blatantly unsympathetic character, but if the satire was done correctly, it could work. A lot of the stuff that happens in soap operas would be considered horrible if it happened in real life, and taking something even more horrific from real life and transferring it to a soap opera is potentially excellent satire of the genre.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid that it's going to turn out that the soap opera's being made only for shock value, and so won't have any value beyond that.

EDIT:
Jack Saladin wrote:Seriously. If you can't see the difference between a darkly humorous and exaggeratedly gruesome urban myth, and a terrible and very recent real life rape case, then, well, I really don't know what the fuck is wrong with your head.
I do agree that it is probably too soon, but the idea of mixing fiction and fact seems central to the satire of the work.
Hippo: roc is the good little communist that lurks in us all
Richard Stallman: Geeks like to think that they can ignore politics, you can leave politics alone, but politics won't leave you alone.
suffer-cait: roc's a pretty cool dude

sje46

Postby sje46 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:57 pm UTC

And about cannibalism . . .that's really not a problem. I doubt that the trivialization of cannibalism is a big deal. If you make a humorous play about the Andes survivors right after they were found, that would probably be offensive. Sweeny Todd is much different though.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.

stapleface

Postby stapleface » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:20 am UTC

I don't see how this is any different to having comedies about the second world war, or about korea/vietnam. The Brass Eye special on paedophilia was funny, even though it had emotive subject matter.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:40 am UTC

stapleface wrote:I don't see how this is any different to having comedies about the second world war, or about korea/vietnam. The Brass Eye special on paedophilia was funny, even though it had emotive subject matter.

I didn't see Brass Eye, so I can't comment on that. I will give this quote from wikipedia:
Defenders of the show argued that the media reaction to the show reinforced its satire of the media's hysteria and hypocrisy on the subject of paedophilia.

It seems that they aren't saying "LOL let's go pedorize some children LOL" but rather making fun of the media.
You can combine things, and you can laugh about serious things, too. MASH was a good show because it combined humor with the horrors of war, without trivializing war. You can joke about things without trivializing things, but I really doubt it with this comedy. If MASH has jokes like "LOL that idiot is dead LOL let's see if we can build a pyramid out of the dead soldiers LOL", then that would be offensive. What they did was separate the two things. They managed to have a show that respected the soldiers that died, and didn't trivialize war.
My point is that I kinda see it as impossible that Fritz's Bed and Breakfast will manage to have jokes without trivializing what happened. If the premise is "A man keeps his children locked up in a basement for years and rapes them" and the genre is "comedy", I don't think it can work out. IF they made it a drama, then it would be fine, and can still manage a few jokes, like all dramas can. Although it would be very tough with the subject matter.

LeopoldBloom

Postby LeopoldBloom » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:42 am UTC

I just don't see the point of this, nothing clever or funny just blatant publicity garnering from an awful crime.
Nuke the Gay Islamic Whales for Jesus!!!!!

Malice

Postby Malice » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:47 am UTC

sje46 wrote:
stapleface wrote:I don't see how this is any different to having comedies about the second world war, or about korea/vietnam. The Brass Eye special on paedophilia was funny, even though it had emotive subject matter.

I didn't see Brass Eye, so I can't comment on that. I will give this quote from wikipedia:
Defenders of the show argued that the media reaction to the show reinforced its satire of the media's hysteria and hypocrisy on the subject of paedophilia.

It seems that they aren't saying "LOL let's go pedorize some children LOL" but rather making fun of the media.
You can combine things, and you can laugh about serious things, too. MASH was a good show because it combined humor with the horrors of war, without trivializing war. You can joke about things without trivializing things, but I really doubt it with this comedy. If MASH has jokes like "LOL that idiot is dead LOL let's see if we can build a pyramid out of the dead soldiers LOL", then that would be offensive. What they did was separate the two things. They managed to have a show that respected the soldiers that died, and didn't trivialize war.
My point is that I kinda see it as impossible that Fritz's Bed and Breakfast will manage to have jokes without trivializing what happened. If the premise is "A man keeps his children locked up in a basement for years and rapes them" and the genre is "comedy", I don't think it can work out. IF they made it a drama, then it would be fine, and can still manage a few jokes, like all dramas can. Although it would be very tough with the subject matter.

From the description of the show, it sounds like the point isn't to make fun of rape, but to use a terrible circumstance to satirize traditional sitcom and television values. Very much like Oliver Stone did with the sitcom portion of Natural Born Killers (giving spousal abuse a laugh track). The point is less "rape is funny ha ha" and more "the creative juxtaposition between rape and normal dumb comedy forces both shock humor and social commentary".

Return to “News & Articles”