Computer illiteracy responsible for college dropout

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

tehmikey

Computer illiteracy responsible for college dropout

Postby tehmikey » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:02 pm UTC

I did a search of Ubuntu, Dell, and Linux and I was surprised that nobody has posted this. As a Linux fan boy, the article as well as the comments frustrate me.

http://www.wkowtv.com/Global/story.asp? ... menu1362_2

Summary: A girl orders a computer from Dell with Ubuntu installed. She has trouble setting up the internet with the Verison installer CD and using Microsoft Word. These troubles cause her to drop out of college.

You can read the comments or the follow up article to catch up on the Linux community lashing out against bad journalism. The girl was harrased on Facebook by people as well. I am mostly confused on how she accidentally ordered a dell computer with Ubuntu as you have to actively go to a separate section of the Dell site to buy a Linux system.

All in all, there were a series of poor actions from the journalist, a subset of the Linux community, and the girl for not taking responsibility for her mistakes.
Last edited by tehmikey on Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:36 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

IggyJack

Re: Ubuntu Responsible for College Dropouts

Postby IggyJack » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:55 pm UTC

I guess thats just her failing to be all she can be. Well, nevermind. I've never considered a computer making you drop out, because i would think after two hours of setbacks with the thing, you'd just get rid of it and get a better computer.
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man. -Thomas Paine.
My country is the world, and my religion is to do good. -Thomas Paine.

someguy

Postby someguy » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:05 pm UTC

Our Consumer Reporter Dan Cassuto wrote a story Tuesday that caused a bit of a stir among computer-lovers...extreme computer lovers. Some of you are scratching your heads out there. You're thinking...if it's not Windows then it's Mac. What's this "ubuntu" ... a made up word?

Huh? I'm not even an Ubuntu user myself, but are these people stupid? The whole article, in fact... I mean it couldn't have even been a joke, it's like they weren't even trying.
aleflamedyud wrote:Plenty of people have confidence without any base of actual virtue or accomplishment beneath it. We call these people "douchebags".

roc314
Is dead, and you have killed him

Postby roc314 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:43 pm UTC

How about a title change? Computer illiteracy responsible for college dropout?

EDIT: Dell should start releasing computers that come with Linux but without X already installed. Just so I get more entertainment.
Hippo: roc is the good little communist that lurks in us all
Richard Stallman: Geeks like to think that they can ignore politics, you can leave politics alone, but politics won't leave you alone.
suffer-cait: roc's a pretty cool dude

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:29 am UTC

Wait, so installing internet is more difficult than sticking the ethernet cable in the cable modem and the network hole in the back of the laptop?

Code: Select all

Schubert's computer came with Open Office, a word processing software package that is compatible with Microsoft Word.  She says she wasn't aware it was compatible.  MATC promised to show her how to save documents in compatible formats so she could enroll in online courses again.

This chick didn't even try. She just didn't want to go to college, which her parents were probably making her do, so she wouldn't mooch off of them, so she used her ineptitude with a relatively simple machine to drop out of 2 semesters of college. I don't see how it takes 2 semesters to make a computer work. If I had access to a chimpanzee, I'd give it a keyboard hooked up to a terminal, and I'm sure, with 2 semesters of sugary snacks and random pushing of buttons, the chimp could not only get the internet working, but open up the openoffice equivilant of ms word.

That, or I'd eat the chimpanzee. I've wanted to try monkey brains ever since I've seen it on Indiana Jones. It's probably healthier than eating her brains, or lack thereof.

Oh wait, she's in the outskirts of madison, WI? I'm surprised she has electricity. :\

cerbie

Postby cerbie » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:34 am UTC

Nice. There are many lessons to learn, here. I think these are the two most important:
1) If you don't know what a configuration option means, other than the cost associated with it, research it.
2) Always have a second working computer with an internet connection.

What surprises me most, though, is that she appears to have failed a semester, apparently due to not being able to do what she needed with that notebook. How long does it take to figure out that this notebook isn't what you wanted, and do something about it? What was her school doing through this? Did she have anyone there take a look at it? Did she do any research about what she needed for the school?

The Reaper wrote:Wait, so installing internet is more difficult than sticking the ethernet cable in the cable modem and the network hole in the back of the laptop?
Does it say anywhere what kind of internet? Given the difficulty, and that it was Verizon, I assumed it was one of those gizmos for mobile access. If it was indeed plain old cable or DSL, then yeah...she should have been able to call them, and then get it working easily.

OT: so, Nethack has Top ramen? I'd figure they would have Nissin, Sapporo Ichiban, etc..
DSenette: (...) on the whole, even a trained killer cow is kind of stupid.

roc314
Is dead, and you have killed him

Postby roc314 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:38 am UTC

cerbie wrote:Does it say anywhere what kind of internet? Given the difficulty, and that it was Verizon, I assumed it was one of those gizmos for mobile access. If it was indeed plain old cable or DSL, then yeah...she should have been able to call them, and then get it working easily.
Does her school have no public ethernet ports? Or, for that matter, computers available to students?

The more I look at this, the harder I have placing the blame on anyone but her.
Hippo: roc is the good little communist that lurks in us all
Richard Stallman: Geeks like to think that they can ignore politics, you can leave politics alone, but politics won't leave you alone.
suffer-cait: roc's a pretty cool dude

frezik

Postby frezik » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:40 am UTC

I went to the college in question for a little while. Being a tech college, there are often courses specific to Microsoft software, which would make OpenOffice a bad choice for those particular classes. Other than that, OpenOffice makes a perfectly good alternative for anything you need there. Even if you have to use Word, I never had a problem finding an unused computer lab between classes.
I do not agree with the beer you drink, but will defend to the death your right to drink it

Solt

Postby Solt » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:52 am UTC

roc314 wrote:How about a title change? Computer illiteracy responsible for college dropout?

Yea, someone who can't pick up a phone and start dialing any and all support numbers found on a piece of equipment probably doesn't deserve a college degree. Employers for skilled positions expect a minimum degree of competency, and I'm betting calling for help instead of giving up and complaining to the media falls under that minimum.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:04 am UTC

"My computer doesn't work, so I'll drop out of college"? What? Really?! Would have she done the same if she was using a Windows laptop and it broke down? It really sounds like she wasn't planning on sticking around anyway if that's all it took. Maybe she just doesn't want to explain that to her parents.

It says she "wasn't aware" Open Office was compatible with Word. So she didn't even bother trying to open a .doc with it? She didn't ask anyone? It sounds like she didn't spend more than a single minute, if that, trying to sort this out. I'm willing to bet she turned on the laptop, saw the weird new logo, and thought "fuck it, this is as good an excuse as any", and picked up the phone.

RealGrouchy
Nobody Misses Me As Much As Meaux.

Postby RealGrouchy » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:53 am UTC

tehmikey wrote:I did a search of Ubuntu, Dell, and Linux and I was surprised that nobody has posted this.
Maybe because we all read it on Slashdot yesterday?

- RG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., lock'd
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to REMOVE THE GAP BETWEEN HIS QUOTES....
Sungura wrote:I don't really miss him. At all. He was pretty grouchy.

GourdCaptain

Postby GourdCaptain » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:06 am UTC

I thought OpenOffice.org was registered to open .doc files by default in Ubuntu. She didn't even click on it. I do have experience with this kind of user - my grandmother is one. She's been using an Apple ][ C for the last twenty years or so, and this year she expressed interest in modern computers. It's been fun. Unfortunatly, while she is somewhat competent, the other people who use that computer are not. Then she gets lost when they move the taskbar to the right side of the screen. (I have never before seen a time I wished Deep Freeze was installed on a computer.)

LeopoldBloom

Postby LeopoldBloom » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:09 am UTC

New title- Idiocy and laziness responsible for college drop-out.

RealGrouchy wrote:
tehmikey wrote:I did a search of Ubuntu, Dell, and Linux and I was surprised that nobody has posted this.
Maybe because we all read it on Slashdot yesterday?

- RG>

pretty much. .
Nuke the Gay Islamic Whales for Jesus!!!!!

Return to “News & Articles”