Woman Pops Out 8 Kids In One Sitting In California

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Soundwave Guy

Woman Pops Out 8 Kids In One Sitting In California

Postby Soundwave Guy » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:22 pm UTC

The mother, who was not identified, gave birth Monday to six boys and two girls weighing between 1.8 pounds and 3.4 pounds. The eighth baby was a surprise to the parents and doctors who had been expecting only seven children.

Two of the newborns — the world's second live-born set of octuplets — were initially put on ventilators but their breathing tubes have been removed.

Read The Full Story
If you're reading this, it's because I'm still a noob.

Woofsie

Re: Woman Pops Out 8 Kids In One Sitting In California

Postby Woofsie » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:27 pm UTC

Soundwave Guy wrote: the world's second live-born set of octuplets

Wow. The Simpsons totally made me think this was more common than it is.

joshz

Postby joshz » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:30 pm UTC

Soundwave Guy wrote:The eighth baby was a surprise to the parents and doctors who had been expecting only seven children.
Right, because seven kids at once is such a small amount.
You, sir, name? wrote:If you have over 26 levels of nesting, you've got bigger problems ... than variable naming.
suffer-cait wrote:it might also be interesting to note here that i don't like 5 fingers. they feel too bulky.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:54 pm UTC

And what did we learn about bathing in fertility drugs?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:03 pm UTC

Soundwave Guy wrote:the world's second live-born set of octuplets
I thought it was the US's second live-born set of octuplets?
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Paranoid__Android

Postby Paranoid__Android » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:30 pm UTC

Hmm, I doubt they foresaw this when they were doing their family planning. That is one hell of a family.

I hope all the kids make it out alive...
The Great Hippo wrote:Paranoid__Android,
... truly, you are a champion among champions. ...

Mysidic

Postby Mysidic » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:21 am UTC

I remember a family in my area had 6 kids, or something like that. Every once in a while I see the father outside pushing a 6 seat stroller(easily 4-5 meters long) and him on rollerblades. Always get a kick out of seeing that.

Wonder what you do with a family that big? And what would you do if they say, were all identical? D= Don't think I could deal with that.
""Thou shalt not lie": in other words, beware, my dear philosopher, of telling the truth." ~Nietzche

theliontakescontrol

Postby theliontakescontrol » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:24 am UTC

From what I've heard and read, all of the babies are doing very well... Five of them started bottle feeding, and three of them are anticipated to start soon-ish.

It must be so exciting, but do you ever wonder what will happen a few years down the road? I hope that their emotional/financial needs will be met when the media is out of the picture!

They should turn them into a band, a la the partridge family...hehe..

Does anybody remember when they (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCaughey_septuplets) were big?
I was FASCINATED with them (and large multiple births in general) when I was a kid...

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:22 am UTC

Oh my god. I can't believe what they did with the Dionne quintuplets. Fucking Ontario.

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:26 am UTC

Mysidic wrote:Wonder what you do with a family that big? And what would you do if they say, were all identical?

Social experiments.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:57 am UTC

Pez Dispens3r wrote:
Mysidic wrote:Wonder what you do with a family that big? And what would you do if they say, were all identical?

Social experiments.

Seriously, though, how do you bond with eight children you can barely tell apart? Even twins suffer a loss of identity, even with their families, and resent being subconsciously thought of as a single person. But eight? It's not even the matter of raising that many children (even though it would be difficult), but it would be hard to raise them all healthy.

I thought of Apu's kids too :).

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:39 am UTC

It's safe to say they're not identical. Multiple births are more often than not from multiple eggs. Also, there's both males and females, meaning they couldn't have come from a single egg. And natural births tend to stop at triplets. Anything above that is from fertility drugs that pop more eggs out.

Anyway, I hope they get help. Eight babies! I can't even imagine dealing with newborn twins, let alone octuplets.
...It made more sense in my head.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:15 am UTC

The woman in question evidently *already* has 6 children, and lives with her parents in a 2-3 bedroom house. *Facepalm.* Why would someone with so many children and a lack of independence take fertility drugs?!
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:18 am UTC

Sarah, you may want to sit down for this one.

People... are idiots.

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

wst

Postby wst » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:38 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:Sarah, you may want to sit down for this one.

People... are idiots.
I don't know about Sarah, but my pneumatic cylinder chair thing just sank about a foot. Good job I wasn't standing!

8 kids is okay, but at once? Ouuch. You know the 'shitting a watermelon analogy'?
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:42 pm UTC

C-section.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:44 pm UTC

Nonono, let wst keep thinking that people give birth to 8 people via their vagina.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:50 pm UTC

Did I say C-section? I meant from her nostrils.

wst

Postby wst » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:52 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:Nonono, let wst keep thinking that people give birth to 8 people via their vagina.
I just read '8 kids', and really, I think having my abdomen ripped open is a close second place in the 'HOLY FUCK THAT HURTS' scale of things.
First would be gall stones.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:10 pm UTC

deleted
Last edited by lesliesage on Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:48 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:16 pm UTC

lesliesage wrote: My vagina could do that with one labium tied behind my back.

Well, I just got one of the strangest visuals ever. And that's saying something.

But yeah, they were pretty little. I think I read between 1.8 and 3 pounds each.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:38 pm UTC

deleted
Last edited by lesliesage on Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:48 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

cin[em]atic

Postby cin[em]atic » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:53 pm UTC

And now we wait until they get their own show on TLC...
d33p wrote:Em, did you ever know that you're my hero? You are the adorable crinkly-nosed freckles beneath my wings.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:09 am UTC

Now the woman is trying to get support from Oprah and/or Diane Sawyer in order to earn sponsorhips. Apparently, she'll be going through 250 diapers a week. Link.

The best quote of that article (unrelated to this new development -- just hilarious):
The babies, born nine weeks prematurely by C-section, were attended to by 46 medical staff, who expected seven babies. When the eighth - a boy - appeared, doctors were “confounded”.
kira wrote:*piles up some limbs and blood and a couple hearts for good measure*
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.
*...pokes at it with a stick*

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:41 am UTC

I should have added a link I found last night, now I can't find it :(

Apparently a lot of doctors are questioning the ethics behind what has happened. Apparently most fertility clinics would not have given her fertility drugs or embryo implants based on the number of children she already had. It mentioned what kind of "help" she had, but I don't remember (in vitro? I don't remember what kind that is). But the article did mention somewhere that fertilization clinics when they stick embryos in don't put in more than 2-4 , and it's unheard of to have 8.

There was also talk about how stuff like this drives up the insurance premiums because of all the resources it takes to care for so many premature babies.

There was also mention that the mother is well off-ish, isn't on welfare, shouldn't be, and they don't seem to have a father. She refused to have some of the babies culled when so many had taken.

Some doctors though were saying that they wouldn't have stopped her since it's not their decision how many children she can have. (Kind-of interesting when you consider the ones that refuse to give birth-control or abortion referrals).

cin[em]atic

Postby cin[em]atic » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:42 am UTC

My mind is officially blown. 14 kids under the age of 8? I remember babysitting for 5 boys under the age of 7 and that was horrifying, and I'm usually handle kids really well too. And apparently they were conceived via a sperm donor? When she was single, unemployed, and already had 6 kids? Does not compute.
d33p wrote:Em, did you ever know that you're my hero? You are the adorable crinkly-nosed freckles beneath my wings.

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:42 am UTC

Ahh I found the article about it. I'm not sure if it's the exact article, but it covers the same basic stuff.

Ethics stuff

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:43 am UTC

Okay, I just learned that the mom has 14 kids from different men, none of them supported by said men. Goddamn, what the fuck is she doing?? Not to be mean, but I don't want my taxes to help her. She should have thought of that before popping out 14 kids.
...It made more sense in my head.

tgjensen

Postby tgjensen » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:27 am UTC

Your taxes are going to help the kids, not the mother. And they are going to need that help very badly.

someguy

Postby someguy » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:20 pm UTC

Clumpy wrote:
Seriously, though, how do you bond with eight children you can barely tell apart?

Tattoos, naturally. ON THEIR FOREHEADS.
aleflamedyud wrote:Plenty of people have confidence without any base of actual virtue or accomplishment beneath it. We call these people "douchebags".

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:39 pm UTC

If I were her I'd give at least some of those kids up for adoption. Because, frankly, there is no way you are going to be able to raise fourteen kids, eight of whom are the same age. That annoying crazy family that's always on TLC only does it because they have the older kids raise the younger kids in a crazy assembly line, which won't work here.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

Ubik

Postby Ubik » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:59 pm UTC

I can't believe no one has said this yet: Her factory to make more of herself is quite efficient.

Iv

Postby Iv » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:33 pm UTC

Idiocracy. It spreads...

I saw a reaction from other obstetrician doctors in my local newspaper saying that they considered this operation a complete failure. That one doesn't let 8 foetus develop, that care is taken for this not to happen. The article mentioned that the mother however did not want to "kill" these foetus after their implementation, believing that is was an unethical decision to remove a one-week old egg.

I really think that people who do not accept to remove any supernumerary foetus for religious belief should not receive this kind of birth help : it endangers both the mother and all the future babies.

For people who don't understand why one would want 14 babies : there is such a psychological condition where some women procreate as fast as they can. I don't manage to find the complicated word for this but it happens and usually triggers a spiral of misery if not handled properly. It also happens a lot in societies where you give dolls that look like babies to 5 years old girls.

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:03 pm UTC

william wrote:If I were her I'd give at least some of those kids up for adoption. Because, frankly, there is no way you are going to be able to raise fourteen kids, eight of whom are the same age. That annoying crazy family that's always on TLC only does it because they have the older kids raise the younger kids in a crazy assembly line, which won't work here.
Intellectually, yes. But could you decide which of your 14 children were your favourite and then kick the rest out?

I'd probably have them battle to the death.*

I read on this site that she lives with her parents, so that's 3 carers, which is at least something.

*Dead baby jokes. Always funny.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:08 pm UTC

I have to admit, her intentionally continuing to have more children is... disturbing. At some point I have to start asking the question of why she wants more children. That point probably happened somewhere between 4 and 14.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Iv

Postby Iv » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:46 pm UTC

22/7 wrote:That point probably happened somewhere between 4 and 14.

She got a pretty doll, was told that having children was the most marvelous thing in the world. You would be surprised by the number of people who actually believe it. I'm sure that there are a lot of teenagers to call her lucky.

Megatriorchis

Postby Megatriorchis » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:04 pm UTC

This is another case involving an irresponsible human being who is allowed to procreate.
The Humanity for the Undead Coalition: Bringing Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to the Undead and Other Supernatural Humanoids. Zombies don't eat people; people eat people!

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:21 pm UTC

Ubik wrote:I can't believe no one has said this yet: Her factory to make more of herself is quite efficient.

As efficient as someone on life supports ability to keep living is.

scwizard

Postby scwizard » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:37 pm UTC

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/02/02/earlyshow/health/main4769209.shtml wrote:Suleman once had a license as a psychiatric technician but that expired. In recent years, she's been an unemployed student.

Heh.

22/7 wrote:I have to admit, her intentionally continuing to have more children is... disturbing. At some point I have to start asking the question of why she wants more children. That point probably happened somewhere between 4 and 14.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/02/02/earlyshow/health/main4769209.shtml wrote:Suleman's mother told Kauffman that, when Suleman was in her mid-20s, she believed she was infertile and became obsessed with having children. That's what a family acquaintance says, as well, telling Kauffman Suleman always hoped for ten kids.

So it turns out she's just crazy like that.
~= scwizard =~

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:50 pm UTC

Iv wrote:
22/7 wrote:That point probably happened somewhere between 4 and 14.
She got a pretty doll, was told that having children was the most marvelous thing in the world. You would be surprised by the number of people who actually believe it. I'm sure that there are a lot of teenagers to call her lucky.
And? She's had a bunch of kids. Hell, she'd already had 6 when she went to a fertility clinic. You can't pawn this off on someone else at that point. She's a big girl, she can make her own decisions.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Return to “News & Articles”