Westboro Baptist Church: "Australians are sodomites"

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Re: Westboro Baptist Church: "Australians are sodomites"

Postby poxic » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:14 am UTC

YES! I want to hear reports of Aussies simul-butt-humping each other en masse, acting as a visual barrier between the WBCers and those actually participating in the day of mourning.

GO AUSSIES! YOU CAN DO IT!

edit: fab. Page-topper. Just fab. ><
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (14 Jan 1875-1965)

Snowfrost

Postby Snowfrost » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:21 pm UTC

Luthen wrote:Actually turning the other cheek is something of an insult. To quoth Wikipedia:
Wikipedia wrote:At the time of Jesus, striking someone deemed to be of a lower class with the back of the hand was used to assert authority and dominance. If the persecuted person "turned the other cheek," the discipliner was faced with a dilemma. The left hand was used for unclean purposes, so a back-hand strike on the opposite cheek would not be performed. The other alternative would be a slap with the open hand as a challenge or to punch the person, but this was seen as a statement of equality. Thus, by turning the other cheek the persecuted was in effect demanding equality.

Well considering the mind set of the WBC.

Do you think they'll get that we might be subtly insulting them? :D
Vengeance should go to those who are blameless. - Me

Horace wrote:"A wise man in times of peace prepares for war."

dic_penderyn

Postby dic_penderyn » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:44 pm UTC

WBC leaders denied entry to UK.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hamp ... 898972.stm

excerpt:
A father and daughter from a US church which preaches hatred of homosexuals have been banned from entering the UK by Home Secretary Jacqui Smith.

Fred Phelps and his daughter Shirley Phelps-Roper from the Westboro Baptist Church had urged protests against a play being put on in Hampshire.

Queen Mary's College in Basingstoke is staging The Laramie Project, a play about a man killed for being gay.

The UK Border Agency said it opposed "extremism in all its forms".

A spokesman added: "Both these individuals have engaged in unacceptable behaviour by inciting hatred against a number of communities.

T.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:22 pm UTC

Luthen wrote:Actually turning the other cheek is something of an insult. To quoth Wikipedia:
Wikipedia wrote:At the time of Jesus, striking someone deemed to be of a lower class with the back of the hand was used to assert authority and dominance. If the persecuted person "turned the other cheek," the discipliner was faced with a dilemma. The left hand was used for unclean purposes, so a back-hand strike on the opposite cheek would not be performed. The other alternative would be a slap with the open hand as a challenge or to punch the person, but this was seen as a statement of equality. Thus, by turning the other cheek the persecuted was in effect demanding equality.

This is actually pretty clever. Most of Jesus' awesome comebacks weren't violent in nature, but forced others to acknowledge their own hypocrisy or otherwise act in a way that would cause them to lose face. Thus: "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's" or "The baptism of John, was it of God or of men?" In its historical context this is almost the physical equivalent.

Rowan_of_Rin

Postby Rowan_of_Rin » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:35 pm UTC

http://www.godhatesfags.com/schedule.html

02/22/2009 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM Melbourne, AU

Rod Laver Arena - God does not hear the prayers of Australia Swan St. & Batman Ave. One of your local major media outlets sent us an email which reads: "Australia Hates You". YAY! We are in good company because Australia made it clear, decades ago, that they hate God. So, now that all is clear, to wit: God Hates Australia and Australia Hates God, let us speak to the fact that God is causing fires in one part of Australia killing hundreds. Then in another part of Australia God is sending floods. That is called MOCKING people. Then these insincere, violent, feces-eating brutes call themselves having a "Australia National Day of Mourning".

Well, it seems they are coming to Melbourne. Should we do anything? I am tempted to pretend to be gay, and flirt with them all.

Minerva

Postby Minerva » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:24 pm UTC

I can't believe these buggers are coming to my city.

Surely the federal government can step in and refuse to allow them entry to Australia, especially in the wake of the UK doing just that?

I mean, they banned Snoop Dogg from Australia, in order to protect the kiddies from the destructive influences of drugs/rap music/black people.

The hate and douchebaggery these pricks are bringing into Australia is a whole lot more destructive and antisocial than Snoop Dogg's conviction for having a bit of pot or whatever he was charged with.
...suffer from the computer disease that anybody who works with computers now knows about. It's a very serious disease and it interferes completely with the work. The trouble with computers is you play with them. They are so wonderful. - Richard Feynman

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:10 pm UTC

I will be at any protests that anyone feels like organising. We already have Catch the Fire Ministries, we don't need this scum encouraging them.

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:31 pm UTC

If my church service wasn't on at the same time, I'd probably go and protest.

I'm hoping they're just planning to mill around outside the Rod Laver, they haven't actually rented it out or anything, have they? Least they chose a spot which is kinda out of the way (for pedestrians, not cars I guess).

Funnily enough, I can't go to that site because it's banned as hate-speech.

EDIT: Made comments which are stupid in light of where the main service is going to be.
Last edited by Luthen on Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:01 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:00 am UTC

This is tomorrow morning? I can't imagine anything big being organised by then, unless it's by a gay rights organisation. I think I'll go down there just for a freakshow. Depends on how late I'm up tonight. These people aren't worth any effort on anyone's part.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:05 am UTC

Dream wrote:I've been living in Australia since last April, and I can honestly say I have not gotten in on the sexy action as yet. "National sins of the flesh" outrages me. I pay my taxes, and I want my goddamned federally mandated ass to pound! If there is to be National Sodomy for some, there must be National Sodomy for all!

And sig'd.

On topic: I've always felt that the Westboro Baptist Church was beneath contempt. I don't get angry at them, they just make me kind of sad in a vague sort of way.
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:29 am UTC

phlip wrote:I expect some major sodomy to occur at the meetup on Sunday...

Well, Sunday is when they're talking about doing their thing, so if nothing else we have perfect timing.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:36 am UTC

Odd question: What are the laws about public sex over there? And/or if you were to just bring some tents and blankets over there, prop'em up during their meet, and well....
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:43 am UTC

poxic wrote:They're trolls. They fund all their events with money from lawsuits they win when people attack them for "expressing their constitutional right to free speech". The old guy is a lawyer, I think. They know their rights down to chapter and verse, and they use that knowledge to piss off as many people as they can. They *want* to be physically attacked so they can sue.

Parasites of the worst kind. I would have more respect for them if they actually believed what they preached.

At least 11 are lawyers
Kevin Smith is making a movie based off him.
See why God hates your country (according to the WBC)!
The children are the saddest thing. A lot of them don't understand what is coming out of their mouth at all. Don't watch this video unless you want to rage.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:30 am UTC

Aikanaro wrote:Odd question: What are the laws about public sex over there? And/or if you were to just bring some tents and blankets over there, prop'em up during their meet, and well....

Hahahaha... no, public sex is a no-go. I don't think there'll be that big a protest. Australia is not cheap to get to, and I doubt they're swimming in money. I think their only real chance is mustering up support through their site amongst Australian locals, and I can't imagine they'd be very successful.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:39 am UTC

and I doubt they're swimming in money.
Erm, they might not be swimming in money, but they certainly have access to millions, or at least did a while ago. There's been a lot of money shifting around as they alternately are sued and sue for even more. They can definitely afford a ticket to Australia.

Minerva

Postby Minerva » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:50 am UTC

poxic wrote:They're trolls. They fund all their events with money from lawsuits they win when people attack them for "expressing their constitutional right to free speech". The old guy is a lawyer, I think. They know their rights down to chapter and verse, and they use that knowledge to piss off as many people as they can. They *want* to be physically attacked so they can sue.

Do they know their "rights" in Australia? I doubt it.

Here, there are no "constitutional rights", there is no "right to free speech", and for once, I think that this might not be a bad thing for a change.

If you're in Melbourne and you want info on a peaceful counter-protest against these pricks, visit this facebook group:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=63546238114&ref=nf
...suffer from the computer disease that anybody who works with computers now knows about. It's a very serious disease and it interferes completely with the work. The trouble with computers is you play with them. They are so wonderful. - Richard Feynman

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:55 am UTC

... Once they've got you saying things like "thank fuck we have no constitutional rights to free speech!", I'm pretty sure they've won.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:58 am UTC

Minerva wrote:

Do they know their "rights" in Australia? I doubt it.

Here, there are no "constitutional rights", there is no "right to free speech", and for once, I think that this might not be a bad thing for a change.

Amen to that! :wink:
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:05 am UTC

Jack Saladin wrote:... Once they've got you saying things like "thank fuck we have no constitutional rights to free speech!", I'm pretty sure they've won.

Much of the world exists perfectly happily with protected rather than free speech. Important things like political expression and dissent are protected. Others less important aspects of speech come second to people's right to live in peace, free from interference by others, especially malicious others. I think it should be possible to protect innocent people from damage caused with speech, just like any other weapon. Some of the most important freedoms are freedoms from things, rather than freedoms to do things.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:09 am UTC

Oh, I do believe these people should be stopped, but I'm just not comfortable with "fuck free speech!" being the angle it's done with.

Really, I think the adults should be arrested for child abuse, and the children should be taken into state custody to undergo many, many years of counselling. These people are clearly a mix of evil sociopaths, and their utterly deluded and mentally unstable victims.

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:17 am UTC

Aikanaro wrote:Odd question: What are the laws about public sex over there? And/or if you were to just bring some tents and blankets over there, prop'em up during their meet, and well....

I feel like pointing out that its a memorial service for a couple of hundred people that died in a natural disaster. Sure, what they're doing is offensive, but, you know, show a little respect.

I really think that Kizor /threaded early on the first page.

Kizor wrote:Please just quiet down about that lot. I don't think that anyone here wants to hear more about them; rather, we come to the thread to see more of the same for the kind of sick fascination that makes people stop at car accident scenes, knowing that the time spent isn't going to be worth it.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

Sharlos

Postby Sharlos » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:18 am UTC

Australians have the right to free political speech, I don't see how the right to be a member of the KKK or these bunch of idiots is worth protecting though.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:20 am UTC

Sharlos wrote:Australians have the right to free political speech, I don't see how the right to be a member of the KKK or these bunch of idiots is worth protecting though.
But then who gets to decide who's a bunch of idiots, and who's a political dissenter? There's no objective way to sort through those, and it's inevitable that such a clause will be abused at some point. Even if you really hate a bunch of people, it's simply far too dangerous to give governments the power to discriminate based on what someone says, wears, believes, or thinks.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:25 am UTC

Apologies then, Jestingrabbit, I forgot the context in which WBC was appearing, didn't know if they were just doing some rally or something.
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

Minerva

Postby Minerva » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:04 am UTC

jestingrabbit wrote:I feel like pointing out that its a memorial service for a couple of hundred people that died in a natural disaster. Sure, what they're doing is offensive, but, you know, show a little respect.

That's true, I think any response to these guys should be done very sensitively, so the day isn't just all about them. I like the idea of forming a human wall around them so nobody has to look at them or deal with them.

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:09 am UTC

Minerva wrote:
jestingrabbit wrote:I feel like pointing out that its a memorial service for a couple of hundred people that died in a natural disaster. Sure, what they're doing is offensive, but, you know, show a little respect.
That's true, I think any response to these guys should be done very sensitively, so the day isn't just all about them. I like the idea of forming a human wall around them so nobody has to look at them or deal with them.
I had this idea of playing some more positive hymns at them. Try to speak their language (or a tongue of same family), so to speak. Not to attack them with anger but just try and calm them down.

Minerva

Postby Minerva » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:17 am UTC

[youtube]QkjBEE5ugaQ[/youtube]

What a prick.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkjBEE5ugaQ

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:52 am UTC

Minerva wrote:

This is the sort of protest I can get behind.

The only thing that made that bearable was the commentary in the little word box things.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:36 am UTC

Waitwaitwait. They're protesting the bushfire memorial service?

If a thread shows up in N&A tomorrow entitled "Australian man beats WBC members with their own pickets", just don't be all that surprised.

Minerva

Postby Minerva » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:24 am UTC

Well, this sounds like good news:

Hi everyone,

Counter protest now CANCELLED!!!

Great news! We have liaised with the police and other government departments this afternoon about Westboro Baptist Church protesting against the National Day of Mourning at Rod Laver Arena tomorrow. We have been assured they will now be sending out more police officers to deal with this and members of Westboro Baptist Church will be arrested immediately if they turned up to any way near Rod Laver Arena.

Thank you for your passion,
Jamie

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:36 am UTC

Minerva wrote:Well, this sounds like good news:
Hi everyone,

Counter protest now CANCELLED!!!

Great news! We have liaised with the police and other government departments this afternoon about Westboro Baptist Church protesting against the National Day of Mourning at Rod Laver Arena tomorrow. We have been assured they will now be sending out more police officers to deal with this and members of Westboro Baptist Church will be arrested immediately if they turned up to any way near Rod Laver Arena.

Thank you for your passion,
Jamie
Now I'm kinda interested by what angle Today Tonight and A Current Affair are going to take about this. And it's too bad Newstopia isn't on at the moment.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:34 am UTC

What would they be arrested for?
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:41 am UTC

Well, Howard missed out on getting "unAustralianism" listed as a criminal offence, so I would presume something like public nuisance or breaching the peace?

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:32 pm UTC

So, are these people going to be arrested immediately. or is a protest in order?

Sorry, something personal has come up in the interim. If at all possible I will be there, but at the moment it doesn't look like it. If anyone from the fora is there, please remain within the bounds of decency. Don't give these people extra publicity. Do try to prevent them from sullying such a solemn occasion with their hateful agenda. Make us proud to be part of the opposition to their hateful, negative beliefs, without gaining them a single iota of recognition.

See you all tomorrow.

RealGrouchy
Nobody Misses Me As Much As Meaux.

Postby RealGrouchy » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:14 am UTC

Minerva wrote:I can't believe these buggers are coming to my city.
Was this intentional? Because I don't think it's funny.

- RG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., lock'd
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to REMOVE THE GAP BETWEEN HIS QUOTES....
Sungura wrote:I don't really miss him. At all. He was pretty grouchy.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:41 am UTC

"Bugger" is just a general term of disparagement. Or endearment. We're odd like that.

masher

Postby masher » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:43 am UTC

Amarantha wrote:"Bugger" is just a general term of disparagement. Or endearment. We're odd like that.

Australia: The only place on Earth where your worst enemy is "a bit of a bastard" and your best friend is "a real bastard". :lol:

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:53 am UTC

masher wrote:
Amarantha wrote:"Bugger" is just a general term of disparagement. Or endearment. We're odd like that.

Australia: The only place on Earth where your worst enemy is "a bit of a bastard" and your best friend is "a real bastard". :¡This cheese is burning me!:

We also accept "Cobbers" "Chinas" and "Mates"
Always Mates.

Ooh, also Rasco-palli-whacker.

Any word on how all this nonsense turned out, btw?
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:54 am UTC

Maseiken wrote:
masher wrote:

Australia: The only place on Earth where your worst enemy is "a bit of a bastard" and your best friend is "a real bastard". :¡This cheese is burning me!:

We also accept "Cobbers" "Chinas" and "Mates"
Always Mates.

Ooh, also Rasco-palli-whacker.

Any word on how all this nonsense turned out, btw?

I was out in the lounge when the news was on about the memorial thing but they didn't mention any protests.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Mysidic

Postby Mysidic » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:16 pm UTC

Dear WBC: Who do you think are not sodomites/demons/the antichrist, outside of your own church? Anyone?
""Thou shalt not lie": in other words, beware, my dear philosopher, of telling the truth." ~Nietzche

Return to “News & Articles”