More extremists denied UK entrance: Phelps Family

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen
Posts: 5101
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:12 am UTC
Location: C:\Users\Xeio\
Contact:

Re: More extremists denied UK entrance: Phelps Family

Postby Xeio » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:56 am UTC

Minerva wrote:http://www.godhateseveryoneexceptforus.com/
Nooooo, I'm a cuddley animal enabler! Whyyyyy

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: More extremists denied UK entrance: Phelps Family

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:58 am UTC

ParanoidAndroid: I believe it's Leviticus 20:13;

"If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads"

Most Christians will say that the old testament is not applicable to modern day society and that it only serves as a history. However WBC probably do not believe that is the case (only probably, I might be wrong), thus it's a logical conclusion from verses like the one above.

Whereas abandoning the morality/instructions-for-life of half of the bible because (1) The church/Pope/pastor/etc. said it's not applicable any more and/or (2) because of a subjective/spiritual/emotive interpretation of Jesus' death etc. is generally not considered to be under the process of "logic".

That being said I think most Christians do not believe that logic is the be-all-end-all and so it's not much of a problem for them to ignore the old book.


Edit: In any case, I'm pretty sure this topic should probably be about the WBC guys being assholes and not about how the WBC's beliefs compare to that of the "average" Christian.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

User avatar
TheStranger
Posts: 896
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:39 pm UTC
Location: The Void which Binds

Re: More extremists denied UK entrance: Phelps Family

Postby TheStranger » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:11 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:ParanoidAndroid: I believe it's Leviticus 20:13;

"If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads"

Most Christians will say that the old testament is not applicable to modern day society and that it only serves as a history. However WBC probably do not believe that is the case (only probably, I might be wrong), thus it's a logical conclusion from verses like the one above.


Actually, and not to derail the thread, but if I recall correctly the teachings of JC supersede the rules found in the OT books like Leviticus. So the whole be nice to each other trumps the stoning bit.
"To bow before the pressure of the ignorant is weakness."
Azalin Rex, Wizard-King of Darkon

User avatar
Phen
Posts: 1184
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:50 pm UTC
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: More extremists denied UK entrance: Phelps Family

Postby Phen » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:48 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:
Minerva wrote:http://www.godhateseveryoneexceptforus.com/
Nooooo, I'm a cuddley animal enabler! Whyyyyy

God doesn't hate us! ... Or at least, it's just unfounded, pure hatred, with neither reason nor respite.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

User avatar
EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator
Posts: 2567
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:36 pm UTC
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: More extremists denied UK entrance: Phelps Family

Postby EsotericWombat » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:00 pm UTC

TheStranger wrote:Actually, and not to derail the thread, but if I recall correctly the teachings of JC supersede the rules found in the OT books like Leviticus. So the whole be nice to each other trumps the stoning bit.


You're right. But the Christian Right specifically ignore this teaching in order to square their bigotry with their faith.

And I'm not saying that it's the natural progression from what all Christians believe. But the ones who get up on the soapbox and say that gay marriage will ruin our society? The ones who hijacked our political system over the past eight years? It follows pretty fucking easily from what those assholes believe.
Image


Return to “News & Articles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: gd1 and 10 guests