Northern Ireland killings...

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Dream
WINNING

Northern Ireland killings...

Postby Dream » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:09 pm UTC

There have been three murders of police and security forces in Northern Ireland in as many days. In the first incident a pizza delivery was used as an opportunity to kill two British soldiers, and in the second, a PSNI member responding to an emergency call was shot through the head. Government and community leaders have been unanimous in condemning the attacks. I honestly believe that the province has moved beyond its history and that this is not a reflection of pooular feeling in republican communities.

But this story really made me choke, and wonder about the minds of people who perpetrate these kinds of attacks:

This.

Who could still believe whatever they believed to bring them to such a point, while staring down the barrel of a gun at an unarmed man, shielding another man's body with his own life? And it almost makes me cry to think about the soldier who was brave enough to save someone at the certain cost of his own life. Some people are quite simply heroes, and can be content in their legacies next to the greatest people in history.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Woofsie

Re: Northern Ireland killings...

Postby Woofsie » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:52 pm UTC

One of the worst parts of this whole thing was the amount of scumbags at my school who were cheering about the "return of the IRA".

Bleh. :evil:

Freakish

Postby Freakish » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:03 pm UTC

Every day I get a little more misanthropic....
Freakish Inc. We completely understand the public’s concern about futuristic robots feeding on the human population

Darkscull

Postby Darkscull » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:10 pm UTC

Dream wrote:Government and community leaders have been unanimous in condemning the attacks.

I don't think the wording of this fully reflects the importance of it's meaning:

BOTH sides are condemning them, and not just condemning the killing bit but the taking of any violent action.

That is something to take heart at, even if some stupid extremist element is trying to restart the troubles.
Physicists do it in an excited state.
m/bi/UK/Ⓐ/chaotic good
b. 1988 d. 20xx

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:41 pm UTC

I truly hope these killings do not escalate.
My thoughts are with the families & friends of the fallen.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:20 pm UTC

They've made some arrests, which is great. Hopefully the dissidents are as compromised and infiltrated as the security services claim. I honestly thought we'd have to wait a generation to see this:
Martin McGuinness wrote:McGuinness, a former IRA commander whose Sinn Fein party represents the Irish Catholic minority, decried the dissidents as "traitors to the island of Ireland."

He called for supporters to break their traditional code of silence and pass tips to the police.

"I want to join with Peter to wholeheartedly appeal to everyone, and anyone, who has any information whatsoever about these killings, to pass that information to the police, north and south," said McGuinness, who throughout the IRA's 1970-97 campaign supported the killing of police. Until two years ago he withheld public statements of support for law-enforcement officials.

"We need to pledge our support to Hugh Orde," McGuinness said as the Englishman stood beside him.

And that the person saying it is McGuinness is almost shocking.

This
Darkscull wrote:BOTH sides are condemning them, and not just condemning the killing bit but the taking of any violent action.
versus this
Woofsie wrote:One of the worst parts of this whole thing was the amount of scumbags at my school who were cheering about the "return of the IRA".
?

I think anyone who is happy to see these events almost by definition hasn't got a clue whats going on in the North.

PhoenixRider

Postby PhoenixRider » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:36 am UTC

I'm debating with myself whether if this is good or bad. Of course any killing is bad, but the deaths were not unarmed citizens and so it is justified. These people are fighting for Ireland's sovereignty and I respect that.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:45 am UTC

PhoenixRider wrote:I'm debating with myself whether if this is good or bad. Of course any killing is bad, but the deaths were not unarmed citizens and so it is justified. These people are fighting for Ireland's sovereignty and I respect that.

Fighting for sovereignty by taking the lives of individuals not engaged in combat, especially through deception?

That's not a cause, just an excuse for murderous hatefulness.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:56 am UTC

PhoenixRider wrote:I'm debating with myself whether if this is good or bad. Of course any killing is bad, but the deaths were not unarmed citizens and so it is justified. These people are fighting for Ireland's sovereignty and I respect that.

You, go read about the Troubles. Now.

You just said a terrible terrible thing.
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:39 am UTC

Unfortunately, this is as unsurprising as it is horrific. Any 'revolutionary army/freedom fighter/terrorist group' will always provide a magnetic attraction to the douches who just want feel all hardcore and justified while killing people, and are not actually interested in the politics of the situation. When 'The Cause' goes away the douches tend to stay. Sometimes I just hate the world :S
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:27 am UTC

Perhaps you should read the line from my post above yours. I'll quote it here again:
Dream wrote:I think anyone who is happy to see these events almost by definition hasn't got a clue whats going on in the North.

This is me being as restrained and polite as I possibly can be. One of the dead soldiers lay covering an innocent bystander with his own body while the gunmen advanced on them. He was certain to be executed, but he didn't run or hide. If you think there was any nationalist politics at play when the murderer shot him dead at point blank range you are the worst kind of gullible fool. This was not part of a war or resistance, it was a cold blooded murder intended to provoke a response from the security services and drag the province back into the sectarianism of the past. These people want the conflict, and they need the atrocities for it to perpetuate. But they represent no constituency, and can claim no support. They are fighting against the peace favoured by 90% of Northern Irish residents. The most ignorant and bigoted of the Paisleys and McGuinnesses are fully behind the democratic, peaceful future of the North. These people are sidelined and irrelevant. So:
Marbas wrote:You, go read about the Troubles. Now.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:58 pm UTC

I at least took some relief from hearing all sides coming together in opposition to violence over these incidents.

What's the mood like in Belfast? Are people being extremely cautious about going out, avoiding public places, that kind of thing?

...there are more things wrong with this post than there are sentences in it.

You're telling me then that if Quebecois separatists came into your town and shot up every police officer that you'd be totally fine with it? Because they only shot people who are armed, and they're fighting for sovereignty? (Even then, this example wouldn't entirely apply, considering the targets weren't all armed.) KF
~Kizyr

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:11 pm UTC

What are the gun laws like over there? There have been a handful of shootings that have made news over here in the US, and I just had a debate with a coworker over gun regulation.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:06 pm UTC

Man, they worked so long and hard to get that damn cease-fire, and then some inbred fucktards are trying to ruin it? I hope they rot. :\

Jahan

Postby Jahan » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:31 pm UTC

:shock: I think you are mistaking Northern Ireland for City 17...

but other people have allready ripped you for this, so I'll leave it at that.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:47 pm UTC

BURN! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Unfortunately, this is as unsurprising as it is horrific. Any 'revolutionary army/freedom fighter/terrorist group' will always provide a magnetic attraction to the douches who just want feel all hardcore and justified while killing people, and are not actually interested in the politics of the situation. When 'The Cause' goes away the douches tend to stay. Sometimes I just hate the world :S

When are these fuckers getting locked up?
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

PhatPhungus

Postby PhatPhungus » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:00 pm UTC

Freakish wrote:Every day I get a little more misanthropic....

Maybe one day misanthropic enough to kill someone?

I have respect for the people who carried out the killings, but not their actions.

Zauderer

Postby Zauderer » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:52 pm UTC

They are not fighting for Ireland's sovereignity, they are fighting against the will of the Northern Ireland people.

PhoenixRider

Postby PhoenixRider » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:18 pm UTC

I know that I'm touching on a very sensitive subject. But the only deaths were two British soldiers and an MP. If this is (and it most likely is) against the will of the majority of the N.Irish people. Then it won't take long to solve this problem. But there always will be people who supported the IRA movement in the past, and will not forget their cause.

Decker

Postby Decker » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:42 pm UTC

PhoenixRider wrote:I know that I'm touching on a very sensitive subject. But the only deaths were two British soldiers and an MP.

There's a large amount of things just WRONG with this sentiment, but I want to point this out. One of the British soldiers (Who are evidently less important than...you know...real people.) Threw himself in front of a civilian. The gunman was targeting a civilian. Not a soldier. The soldier died protecting the civilian.

Edit: After re-reading the article, I see that the gunman opened fire on a crowd of soldiers and injured multiple people. Just getting my facts straight. The fact still stands that the pizza delivery person would likely have died.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:05 am UTC

PhoenixRider wrote:I know that I'm touching on a very sensitive subject. But the only deaths were two British soldiers and an MP. If this is (and it most likely is) against the will of the majority of the N.Irish people. Then it won't take long to solve this problem. But there always will be people who supported the IRA movement in the past, and will not forget their cause.

You're not touching on it, you're shitting all over it. You don't have the first clue about what you're on about. The PSNI is not a military organisation. It is in fact the first ever cross community civilian police force in the history of Northern Ireland. The victim of the second killing was just an ordinary police officer, checking out a routine emergency call.

I also don't know where to begin explaining that "the will of the people of Northern Ireland" is not what makes this a terrible crime. It was murder, and it was a calculated attempt to restart a horrific and bloody sectarian conflict. Perhaps the most significant aspect of the situation is that Martin McGuinness, the highest ranking Republican in the NI Assembly and a former IRA Army Commander is actually telling ordinary republicans to go to the police with information to lead to the capture of these men. You are so far out of alignment with the situation and the population in Northern Ireland that I really can't see how you ended up where you are.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:08 am UTC

PhoenixRider wrote:But there always will be people who supported the IRA movement in the past, and will not forget their cause.

That doesn't justify random murder. It doesn't make these actions *right*.

Considering that they're taking up arms against the government their countrymen support, they're no different than Timothy McVeigh or Terry Nichols.

Jahan

Postby Jahan » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:21 am UTC

PhoenixRider wrote:I know that I'm touching on a very sensitive subject. But the only deaths were two British soldiers and an MP. If this is (and it most likely is) against the will of the majority of the N.Irish people. Then it won't take long to solve this problem. But there always will be people who supported the IRA movement in the past, and will not forget their cause.

If your avatar had a face I would punch it. I would punch your avatar in the face.

What cause?! Do you even know what has happened over the past 10 years let alone the past 100?
Idiots like you saying "yeah fight the power" are why I don't hang around at anti-war rallies.
Last edited by Jahan on Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:24 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

PhoenixRider

Postby PhoenixRider » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:10 am UTC

In light of the recent Irish protests, it would seem like the people don't support the group. With this in mind I've made my decision in whether I should back them or not.

But it would seem as if keeping an open mind is looked down upon here. This groups cause is quite obvious, and I believe that Ireland does have the right to be independent. Although it would seem as if they are the only one who believes that, in which case their group's cause is invalid.

The Great Hippo
Swans ARE SHARP

Postby The Great Hippo » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:15 am UTC

PhoenixRider wrote:But it would seem as if keeping an open mind is looked down upon here.
No, murdering people is looked down upon here.

By the way, Ireland called, and they're ecstatic that you've finally made up your mind. Now things can at last proceed!

PhoenixRider

Postby PhoenixRider » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:23 am UTC

The Great Hippo wrote:
PhoenixRider wrote:But it would seem as if keeping an open mind is looked down upon here.

By the way, Ireland called, and they're ecstatic that you've finally made up your mind. Now things can at last proceed!

Killing armed soldiers as an opposition force is murder?

And thanks for the sarcasm, now I can finally rest in peace, Knowing that "The great hippo" approves.

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:23 am UTC

But it would seem as if keeping an open mind is looked down upon here.

That word? Open-minded? I don't think it means what you think it means.
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

Decker

Postby Decker » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:25 am UTC

PhoenixRider wrote:
The Great Hippo wrote:

Killing armed soldiers as an opposition force is murder?

(Emphasis mine)
Yes
Addendum to sound less smart ass: This wasn't an act of self defense. These soldiers did not have guns drawn on this person when he opened fire. No one is supporting these people. It's murder.

PhoenixRider

Postby PhoenixRider » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:35 am UTC

No one is indeed supporting them, but in the end I wouldn't classify this as murder. Soldiers are a symbol for a country's power, and therefore are a target for any opposition wanting to make a move against the country. I may not support it, but I do understand it. And supporting and understanding are two different things.
Last edited by PhoenixRider on Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:39 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

The Great Hippo
Swans ARE SHARP

Postby The Great Hippo » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:38 am UTC

PhoenixRider wrote:Killing armed soldiers as an opposition force is murder?
In this context? Yes. Very much yes. Incredibly yes. If I said yes any harder, the word would break through the barrier of space and time and come out your monitor to smack against your forehead. And then you'd have to explain to everyone why you have the word 'YES' branded on your temple.

Well, 'YES' with the letters reversed. You get the picture.

Shooting people outside of a combat situation does not magically become 'not-murder' just because those people are soldiers loyal to a government you don't like.

Kaiyas

Postby Kaiyas » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:38 am UTC

PhoenixRider wrote:No one is indeed supporting them, but in the end I wouldn't classify this as murder.

Then please, tell us, what is it?
clintonius wrote:This place is like mental masturbation

Decker

Postby Decker » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:45 am UTC

PhoenixRider wrote:No one is indeed supporting them, but in the end I wouldn't classify this as murder. Soldiers are a symbol for a country's power, and therefore are a target for any opposition wanting to make a move against the country. I may not support it, but I do understand it. And supporting and understanding are two different things.

You don't support it, but you seem to be okay with it. That's really not much better.
Edit: When I tell myself I'm not going to argue anymore, I really should do what I say. I'm out of this thread.
Last edited by Decker on Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:50 am UTC

PhoenixRider wrote:Killing armed soldiers as an opposition force is murder?

Do you actually mean "occupation"? Again, you need to read about the history. Like, the way there are no longer patrols, and "occupation" is over.

And for the last time, these were not armed soldiers. They were taking delivery of a pizza. The only armed guard present was manning the gate, and couldn't fire as there were civilians and his own soldiers in the line of fire. So these attacker gunned down the men, injuring both the soldiers and the civilians, and came forward and executed the soldiers. Take off your rose tinted glasses, and maybe poke yourself in the eyes for good measure.

I note that you also just assumed that the police officer was also a "legitimate target" as the phrase goes in the North, so your "enemy soldier" bullshit isn't even internally sound.

PhoenixRider

Postby PhoenixRider » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:51 am UTC

Thanks for putting words in my mouth so you could try to make a point. Who said occupational?

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:57 am UTC

PhoenixRider wrote:Thanks for putting words in my mouth so you could try to make a point. Who said occupational?

Wow. So you mean killing people just because they symbolize something you don't like is morally right?

Just. No.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:00 am UTC

PhoenixRider wrote:Thanks for putting words in my mouth so you could try to make a point. Who said occupational?

Did you skip the question mark like you skipped the history, ethics and common sense?

PhoenixRider

Postby PhoenixRider » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:04 am UTC

I understand their goal, and they understand the consequences of trying to achieve their goal. If they are willing to kill soldiers to try and achieve their (virtually impossible) goals, then they should be ready to also either face death or the legal system. That's what I believe.

Edit: God damn you people post quickly. :(

Anyways, you guys continue going about with your mob mentality if you wish, but I'm logging off to do some work and I'll be back to answer your posts tomorrow.
Last edited by PhoenixRider on Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:10 am UTC

PhoenixRider wrote:they understand the consequences of trying to achieve their goal

Another few decades of slaughter is their goal. The want to restart the armed conflict, polarize the society once more and undo all the good work of the peace process. This is the goal. Independence is not, unless you count ridiculous pipe-dreams as goals now.

dic_penderyn

Postby dic_penderyn » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:11 am UTC

I do not believe that these people believe in a "cause". I am fucking sick and tired of murderous fucktards attempting to justify their murdering ways.

Its murder plain and simple.
These pieces of shit are probably jobless twats who were bullies in school. Now that they are all grow up they seem to suck at everything they do.
"cause"? fuck off.

When will people realise that bad people do bad things.
Using religion or any other reason in an attempt to justify heinous crimes is just wrong.

luketheduke
Sour Kraut

Postby luketheduke » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:14 am UTC

Hey, asshat, soldiers are humans!

What is your philosophical/ethical justification for ever killing people? I think self-defense is fair game, and if you are in a dilemma where whatever decision you make will lead to people dying, then it sucks to be you, but I won't judge you. Neither of those applies.

So justify yourself, PhoenixRider!
As long as I know how to love / I know I'll stay alive /
'cause I've got all my life to live / and I've got all my love to give / and I'll survive /
I will survive

Return to “News & Articles”