UAE fines mother over baby death

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5943
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

UAE fines mother over baby death

Postby Angua » Tue May 05, 2009 3:17 am UTC

I can't believe this, the death of an unborn child is bad enough without being prosecuted for it. link
Spoiler:
A court in Dubai has found a woman who lost her unborn child in a traffic accident guilty of manslaughter in what is said to be an unprecedented ruling.

The Lebanese woman, who was nine months pregnant at the time, was also ordered to pay blood money. She said she had not caused the accident.

The judge based the ruling on Islamic law. The court said the rights of unborn babies needed to be protected.

Prosecutors had argued that the verdict should act as a deterrent.

The accident happened in October last year. The court found that she had failed to keep a safe distance from the car ahead of her.

Several cars were involved in the accident, English-language daily The National reports. The paper says the woman's vehicle was hit by the car following hers when she braked suddenly.

The female foetus died after the umbilical cord was cut.

Dubai's traffic court ordered the bereaved mother to pay US$5,450 in blood money and fined her for "unintentional homicide".

Salah Bu Farousha, head of traffic prosecution, said women in the third trimester of pregnancy should avoid driving altogether to protect their own and their foetuses' lives.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: UAE fines mother over baby death

Postby Jahoclave » Tue May 05, 2009 3:24 am UTC

Yay dipshit patriarchal cultures that have suffered from years of colonial oppression. Oh British Empire, how much more can we make your fault?

User avatar
Velict
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:07 pm UTC
Location: Icecrown Citadel

Re: UAE fines mother over baby death

Postby Velict » Tue May 05, 2009 3:38 am UTC

Colonial rule has its problems, but it seems overly simplistic to regard the rise of Islamic fundamentalism as being solely (or even primarily) caused by colonialism. If anything, the existence of fundamentalist revolutions like the Iranian Revolution in 1979, in a state that had never experienced colonial rule, points to a minimal impact on fundamentalism.

Sharia law is undoubtedly a violation of civil liberties, however.

Kain
Posts: 1140
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:29 am UTC
Location: At the center of the observable universe.

Re: UAE fines mother over baby death

Postby Kain » Tue May 05, 2009 3:49 am UTC

Setting aside the debate on the ethical and moral considerations of Sharia law, there is another issue I have with the article: The woman is said to be Lebanese, though whether this is a statement of ethnicity or of nationality is not specified. What that had me wonder is whether the UAE would be placing these fines on a non-muslim member of its populace (as a good percentage of Lebanese citizens are christian, as should be common knowledge thanks to their civil war in the 80s) and whether it would place these fines on a Muslim citizen of another nation.
I am reasonably sure that in the later case, the fines would be levied, but what about the former case, and what if the woman just happened to be a Christian or non-religious citizen of Lebanon? Would she still be fined according to Sharia law?

Let me point out that I do not believe the fine is justified, unless of course the woman was drunk driving or doing some other outrageously reckless act (such as high speed racing), in which case fines could be more easily supported.
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

User avatar
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: UAE fines mother over baby death

Postby Jahoclave » Tue May 05, 2009 4:28 am UTC

Velict wrote:Colonial rule has its problems, but it seems overly simplistic to regard the rise of Islamic fundamentalism as being solely (or even primarily) caused by colonialism. If anything, the existence of fundamentalist revolutions like the Iranian Revolution in 1979, in a state that had never experienced colonial rule, points to a minimal impact on fundamentalism.

Sharia law is undoubtedly a violation of civil liberties, however.

Yes, but I do love to blame the British Empire, even if it is only remotely responsible. Tea just isn't the same if it doesn't come with oppressional baggage.

User avatar
Malice
Posts: 3894
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:37 am UTC
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Re: UAE fines mother over baby death

Postby Malice » Tue May 05, 2009 4:42 am UTC

I'm not sure I see anything wrong with this.

My personal belief is that a fetus is, legally, partway a person and partway property. The mother can kill it, if that's what she wants; if anybody else does it against her will, however, that's murder. In that sense, recklessly endangering the unborn child's life should be a crime, even if the person doing it is the mother (consider a mother who decides to drink during her pregnancy).

The only odd bit left (in my eyes) is that I'm not sure I'd criminalize it if she said, "I'm going to kill my fetus by getting into a car crash." Whereas the accident, if caused recklessly, should be punished ("I'm going to drive at 100mph and I don't care if I kill my fetus"). Although in the first case, she'd be punished for endangering everybody else's life who was on the road.
Image

User avatar
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: UAE fines mother over baby death

Postby Jahoclave » Tue May 05, 2009 5:16 am UTC

Though, the thing is, if they're finding her guilty for following the car infront of her too closely, why exactly is the person behind her not being find even more? Clearly they were following her car too closely as well. That's what annoys me the most. She didn't cause the accident, the person behind her did. It doesn't really matter worth a damn how close you're following somebody. I could be an inch from somebodies bumper. It doesn't matter for shit. The person behind me should be far enough back to stop in time.

Kain
Posts: 1140
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:29 am UTC
Location: At the center of the observable universe.

Re: UAE fines mother over baby death

Postby Kain » Tue May 05, 2009 5:22 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:Though, the thing is, if they're finding her guilty for following the car infront of her too closely, why exactly is the person behind her not being find even more? Clearly they were following her car too closely as well. That's what annoys me the most. She didn't cause the accident, the person behind her did. It doesn't really matter worth a damn how close you're following somebody. I could be an inch from somebodies bumper. It doesn't matter for shit. The person behind me should be far enough back to stop in time.


Well, thats not entirely accurate. If you are tailgating, you are inheritantly causing a risk to the driver in front of you. If they do not notice you tailgating, and are forced to stop suddenly, they will get rear ended. On the other hand, if they recognize that you are tailgating them, they will be less likely to stop if the need presents itself, and more likely to swerve to avoid whatever the obstacle may be, increasing the risk of a head-on collision with oncoming traffic, or with a building of to the side of the road.
Thus, if the woman was indeed following the car too closely, she would be concievably liable for part of the accident, as a result of her reckless driving.
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

User avatar
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: UAE fines mother over baby death

Postby Jahoclave » Tue May 05, 2009 5:36 am UTC

Kain wrote:
Jahoclave wrote:Though, the thing is, if they're finding her guilty for following the car infront of her too closely, why exactly is the person behind her not being find even more? Clearly they were following her car too closely as well. That's what annoys me the most. She didn't cause the accident, the person behind her did. It doesn't really matter worth a damn how close you're following somebody. I could be an inch from somebodies bumper. It doesn't matter for shit. The person behind me should be far enough back to stop in time.


Well, thats not entirely accurate. If you are tailgating, you are inheritantly causing a risk to the driver in front of you. If they do not notice you tailgating, and are forced to stop suddenly, they will get rear ended. On the other hand, if they recognize that you are tailgating them, they will be less likely to stop if the need presents itself, and more likely to swerve to avoid whatever the obstacle may be, increasing the risk of a head-on collision with oncoming traffic, or with a building of to the side of the road.
Thus, if the woman was indeed following the car too closely, she would be concievably liable for part of the accident, as a result of her reckless driving.

Still, that's not what the accident was. It was the person behind her. And that person wasn't put on trial.

Princess Marzipan
Posts: 7717
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 5:28 am UTC
Location: neither a road, nor an island

Re: UAE fines mother over baby death

Postby Princess Marzipan » Tue May 05, 2009 5:48 am UTC

Malice wrote:I'm not sure I see anything wrong with this.

My personal belief is that a fetus is, legally, partway a person and partway property. The mother can kill it, if that's what she wants; if anybody else does it against her will, however, that's murder. In that sense, recklessly endangering the unborn child's life should be a crime, even if the person doing it is the mother (consider a mother who decides to drink during her pregnancy).

The only odd bit left (in my eyes) is that I'm not sure I'd criminalize it if she said, "I'm going to kill my fetus by getting into a car crash." Whereas the accident, if caused recklessly, should be punished ("I'm going to drive at 100mph and I don't care if I kill my fetus"). Although in the first case, she'd be punished for endangering everybody else's life who was on the road.


So if you intend to do it, it's not a crime, but if it's an accident, it's illegal. ... I'll have to be extra precise in my stabbings to make sure I kill efficiently. Wouldn't want someone to ACCIDENTALLY die.

This is seriously the most bass-ackwards thing I have EVER seen you say.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

psyck0
Posts: 1651
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:58 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: UAE fines mother over baby death

Postby psyck0 » Tue May 05, 2009 6:00 am UTC

Velict wrote:Colonial rule has its problems, but it seems overly simplistic to regard the rise of Islamic fundamentalism as being solely (or even primarily) caused by colonialism. If anything, the existence of fundamentalist revolutions like the Iranian Revolution in 1979, in a state that had never experienced colonial rule, points to a minimal impact on fundamentalism.

Sharia law is undoubtedly a violation of civil liberties, however.


The revolution was due to an extension of colonialism, which saw a democratically elected leader in Iran deposed by the CIA and MI6 because he was leaning towards the USSR. In his place, the Shaw was appointed, who was essentially an irreligious despot. Religious fundamentalism was the natural counter.

Green9090
Posts: 516
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:40 pm UTC
Location: California

Re: UAE fines mother over baby death

Postby Green9090 » Tue May 05, 2009 6:18 am UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:
Malice wrote:I'm not sure I see anything wrong with this.

My personal belief is that a fetus is, legally, partway a person and partway property. The mother can kill it, if that's what she wants; if anybody else does it against her will, however, that's murder. In that sense, recklessly endangering the unborn child's life should be a crime, even if the person doing it is the mother (consider a mother who decides to drink during her pregnancy).

The only odd bit left (in my eyes) is that I'm not sure I'd criminalize it if she said, "I'm going to kill my fetus by getting into a car crash." Whereas the accident, if caused recklessly, should be punished ("I'm going to drive at 100mph and I don't care if I kill my fetus"). Although in the first case, she'd be punished for endangering everybody else's life who was on the road.


So if you intend to do it, it's not a crime, but if it's an accident, it's illegal. ... I'll have to be extra precise in my stabbings to make sure I kill efficiently. Wouldn't want someone to ACCIDENTALLY die.

This is seriously the most bass-ackwards thing I have EVER seen you say.

Agreed, that entire post read like somebody was ignoring logic on purpose to mess with me.
Belial wrote:A man with more arms than the entire hindu pantheon and thirty goddamn dicks has no time for logic! He must consume ever more bacon to fuel his incalculable manhood!

User avatar
d33p
Happy Fun Ball
Posts: 1714
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:06 am UTC
Location: La Maison de la Liberté

Re: UAE fines mother over baby death

Postby d33p » Tue May 05, 2009 6:25 am UTC

I'm pretty sure what Malice meant was, if a mother smokes/drinks/does crack/rides in a fast car - she's guilty of endangering an 'unborn'. If she decides to stab herself in the belly/get an abortion/throw herself down the stairs - she's okay.

There's some bizarre equivocation in there that simply doesn't parse. So yeah, try again.
Parka wrote:I assume this is yours. I don't know anyone else who would put "kill a bear" on a list.

User avatar
BoomFrog
Posts: 1070
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:59 am UTC
Location: Seattle

Re: UAE fines mother over baby death

Postby BoomFrog » Tue May 05, 2009 7:14 am UTC

Malice wrote:The mother can kill it, if that's what she wants; if anybody else does it against her will, however, that's murder. In that sense, recklessly endangering the unborn child's life should be a crime, even if the person doing it is the mother (consider a mother who decides to drink during her pregnancy).


What if she gets in a car accident on the way to the abortion clinic?
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

User avatar
Malice
Posts: 3894
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:37 am UTC
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Re: UAE fines mother over baby death

Postby Malice » Tue May 05, 2009 8:01 am UTC

d33p wrote:I'm pretty sure what Malice meant was, if a mother smokes/drinks/does crack/rides in a fast car - she's guilty of endangering an 'unborn'. If she decides to stab herself in the belly/get an abortion/throw herself down the stairs - she's okay.

There's some bizarre equivocation in there that simply doesn't parse. So yeah, try again.


I admit that I'm beginning with cases and working backwards from there to some sort of consistent theory. The flaw in that strategy appears to be that my reactions to specific cases are not coherent with each other. (I have no specific opinion on the medical/theological ideas here, and am trying to consider things in utilitarian terms.)

I think women should be allowed to abort. (Because that helps society.)
But I also think a woman who endangers her unborn child should be charged (if it results in harm). (Because that discourages "unintended abortions" and birth defects; discouraging those also helps society.)

I can't quite reconcile those two ideas legally without either saying "A woman should only be allowed to abort if a doctor does it" (or some such). But that law doesn't make any sense to me. The issue really is the intent. Hmm...

Princess Marzipan wrote:
Malice wrote:I'm not sure I see anything wrong with this.

My personal belief is that a fetus is, legally, partway a person and partway property. The mother can kill it, if that's what she wants; if anybody else does it against her will, however, that's murder. In that sense, recklessly endangering the unborn child's life should be a crime, even if the person doing it is the mother (consider a mother who decides to drink during her pregnancy).

The only odd bit left (in my eyes) is that I'm not sure I'd criminalize it if she said, "I'm going to kill my fetus by getting into a car crash." Whereas the accident, if caused recklessly, should be punished ("I'm going to drive at 100mph and I don't care if I kill my fetus"). Although in the first case, she'd be punished for endangering everybody else's life who was on the road.


So if you intend to do it, it's not a crime, but if it's an accident, it's illegal. ... I'll have to be extra precise in my stabbings to make sure I kill efficiently. Wouldn't want someone to ACCIDENTALLY die.


I'm pretty sure that if somebody dies while you're stabbing them, it's not an accident. If you were generally applying the notion of "intended = crime, accident = legal", you did it incorrectly. Besides, they don't generally apply; they only apply with regards to an unborn child, which may or may not be legally protected from harm. Unlike the general population, which always is.

The best way I can reconcile my beliefs are to treat the fetus in a wave/particle fashion. When the mother wants to kill it, it's property she can do what she wants with. When she neglects it, or acts with reckless disregard, it's a person upon whose right to life she can't infringe.
The other way to reconcile it would be to say "A fetus is always a person, but in the case of abortion the right of the mother to bodily autonomy outweighs the right of the fetus to live." I guess my issue with that is that I'm somewhat comfortable with a double-think legal fiction but not very comfortable with coming down on either side of the "is it a person?" debate.
Image

User avatar
Gellert1984
Posts: 588
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:07 pm UTC
Location: South Wales UK

Re: UAE fines mother over baby death

Postby Gellert1984 » Tue May 05, 2009 10:01 am UTC

I sort of understand what they're trying to do here. Pregnant women do have a tendancy to forget that they're living for two or people (though how is beyond me).

BUT:-
1. I dont see how they can justify not prosecuting the person who drove into the back of her.
2. I would be interested to see how this would have gone if a male had been driving with her in the passenger seat, would he have been prosecuted?
3. I can see it being pushed for, that all pregnant women are no longer allowed to drive, possibly they'll backslide as far as not even leaving the house.
The only time I question the right to Free Speech is when I watch Fox News, probably due to the fact that I don't think they really believe in it. -Elisa Scaldaferri

User avatar
Delalyra
Posts: 1812
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:39 am UTC
Location: Western Mass
Contact:

Re: UAE fines mother over baby death

Postby Delalyra » Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am UTC

Malice, you don't think that a mother who wants to stay pregnant won't try pretty hard to not damage her fetus? And that, if her fetus dies, she'd probably be pretty upset about it without having to be charged?

Oh wait, but pregnant women are public property. How'd I forget that?
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

User avatar
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks
Posts: 8314
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:17 pm UTC
Location: I FUCKING MOVED TO THE WOODS

Re: UAE fines mother over baby death

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Tue May 05, 2009 11:36 am UTC

Gellert1984 wrote: Pregnant women do have a tendancy to forget that they're living for two or people (though how is beyond me).

O.o

I'm sorry, what?
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

User avatar
lesliesage
Posts: 1729
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 8:07 pm UTC
Location: Washington, DC
Contact:

Re: UAE fines mother over baby death

Postby lesliesage » Tue May 05, 2009 11:49 am UTC

puzzle
Last edited by lesliesage on Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30450
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Re: UAE fines mother over baby death

Postby Belial » Tue May 05, 2009 11:56 am UTC

Delalyra wrote:Oh wait, but pregnant women are public property. How'd I forget that?


Gods, Dela, get with the program. Everyone knows that once a woman gets pregnant, her womb belongs to *everyone*. It's like a public park, but people look at you funny if you play frisby there.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them

User avatar
scrovak
Posts: 784
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:54 pm UTC
Location: Harford County, MD [USA]
Contact:

Re: UAE fines mother over baby death

Postby scrovak » Tue May 05, 2009 11:57 am UTC

But again, regardless of how the woman was driving (and I'm going off of U.S. traffic law here so stop me if I'm wrong), it is a driver's duty to mind the operating end of their vehicle. If you operate forward or reverse, and the back (if reverse) or front (if forward) end of the vehicle strikes anything, it is automatically your fault. Now the article stated the woman was tailgating the vehicle in front of her, following too close. According to the article, when she hit the brakes, she was rear-ended, resulting in a multi-vehicle pile-up. Now say there was no rabbit crossing the road or anything to cause this, just the tapping of the brakes. She could very well have been trying to back off the car in front of her. If she herself was being tailgated, it is very difficult to extricate yourself from that dangerous trap. Still, the vehicle behind her rear-ended her. In American court, that driver is responsible for hitting her, and for causing her vehicle to impact the vehicle in front (if it did so). If that driver was driving erratically, had a BAC level, or other distractions preventing him/her from proper operation of the vehicle, he could certainly be charged with negligent homicide. The woman, however, should not be charged for being hit by the car. If they want to go that route, it would seem more logical to charge the doctor who cut the umbillical cord, as he technically contributed to the death more than the woman's driving.

Thank you, America, for your logical, though sometimes not enforced, separation of Church and State.
MrGee wrote:I would never eat a person. Have you seen the conditions they're raised in?
kapojinha wrote:You're amazing, which is why I'm going to marry you.

Angua wrote:coordinated baby attacks

User avatar
lesliesage
Posts: 1729
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 8:07 pm UTC
Location: Washington, DC
Contact:

Re: UAE fines mother over baby death

Postby lesliesage » Tue May 05, 2009 12:03 pm UTC

deleted
Last edited by lesliesage on Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:52 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Delalyra
Posts: 1812
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:39 am UTC
Location: Western Mass
Contact:

Re: UAE fines mother over baby death

Postby Delalyra » Tue May 05, 2009 1:34 pm UTC

lesliesage wrote:First of all, Malice is a retard.
Ablist. /just sayin'

But the video is... wow. Hey guys, how about we stop and realize that there are babbys in wombs, but the wombs are attached to real, breathing women, with more of a sense of bodily autonomy than the baby has. It's not about the baby. It's about the women.

It's not about whether the accident was her fault or not (god, does that smack of victim-blaming to anyone else?). It's about a tragic loss, and a shitty, needless conviction.
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

Princess Marzipan
Posts: 7717
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 5:28 am UTC
Location: neither a road, nor an island

Re: UAE fines mother over baby death

Postby Princess Marzipan » Tue May 05, 2009 1:42 pm UTC

The comments for that video are horrifying.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

User avatar
SJ Zero
Posts: 740
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:10 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: UAE fines mother over baby death

Postby SJ Zero » Tue May 05, 2009 2:15 pm UTC

I would like to point out that even though Iran wasn't subject to British colonialism, it was subject to the softer American colonialism where the Americans helped destroy the democratically elected government in the 60s because they were talking about nationalising the oil industry.

The beautiful irony is that the same regime the US is so afraid of today was installed by the US. They do that a lot. Saddam Hussein, anyone? (Oh, and the Taliban!)

User avatar
Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind
Posts: 2256
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:12 pm UTC
Location: St. Heraldwulf's Stone
Contact:

Re: UAE fines mother over baby death

Postby Will » Tue May 05, 2009 2:45 pm UTC

lesliesage wrote:
scrovak wrote:Thank you, America, for your logical, though sometimes not enforced, separation of Church and State.
Excuse me I said YOU MUST WATCH THIS VIDEO. At least 4:15-5:15. Or 2:15-5:15.

There will be none of this "phew aren't we better than them!"

It's bull. fucking. shit.


That is one of the most disgusting things I have ever seen.
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

User avatar
Gellert1984
Posts: 588
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:07 pm UTC
Location: South Wales UK

Re: UAE fines mother over baby death

Postby Gellert1984 » Tue May 05, 2009 2:50 pm UTC

I sort of understand what they're trying to do here. Pregnant women do have a tendancy to forget that they're living for two or more people (though how is beyond me).


corrected.

Sorry what I meant was that a lot of women run around as they normally would trying to continue their lives as normal right up to the point of birth. While I don't think the law should be able to impinge on a mothers freedom, I do think that 'rolemodel' type people, often but not always celebrities, need to stop with the whole 'back in work a week after giving birth' crap.

And I realise that that sounds like sexist tripe, sorry I dont mean it to be, but I cant really put it any better. If a woman chooses to have a baby then she should have to look after, if a couple choose to have a baby, then they should both have to look after it.

Hell that sounds just as bad...I give up.

Oh and about the video. Thats screwed up, I couldnt believe the one about 'a sheriff strapped her legs together' while in labour then dragged her to a hearing, WTF?
The only time I question the right to Free Speech is when I watch Fox News, probably due to the fact that I don't think they really believe in it. -Elisa Scaldaferri

User avatar
scrovak
Posts: 784
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:54 pm UTC
Location: Harford County, MD [USA]
Contact:

Re: UAE fines mother over baby death

Postby scrovak » Tue May 05, 2009 3:02 pm UTC

Actually, my exwife rode and trained horses as a profession. She was 9 months pregnant and riding on horse back. 2 weeks after the baby, she was back on horse back. My daughter had no damage from it, and while she could've been injured if the exwife fell off the horse, well actually I see your point now. Now I'm angry. But not at that woman, she was just driving a car.
MrGee wrote:I would never eat a person. Have you seen the conditions they're raised in?
kapojinha wrote:You're amazing, which is why I'm going to marry you.

Angua wrote:coordinated baby attacks

User avatar
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks
Posts: 8314
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:17 pm UTC
Location: I FUCKING MOVED TO THE WOODS

Re: UAE fines mother over baby death

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Tue May 05, 2009 3:04 pm UTC

The important thing is that two men have already decided they know more about what's good for a pregnant woman than she does.

/thread.

Edit: Really, people think that pregnant women in general can possibly have a tendency to forget they are pregnant?
You live in a different universe than me. I shall use that as a good excuse for the fact that you have terrible opinions.
Last edited by (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ on Tue May 05, 2009 3:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30450
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Re: UAE fines mother over baby death

Postby Belial » Tue May 05, 2009 3:04 pm UTC

And I realise that that sounds like sexist tripe, sorry I dont mean it to be, but I cant really put it any better. If a woman chooses to have a baby then she should have to look after, if a couple choose to have a baby, then they should both have to look after it.

Hell that sounds just as bad...I give up.


Consider that it sounds bad for a reason.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them

User avatar
SJ Zero
Posts: 740
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:10 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: UAE fines mother over baby death

Postby SJ Zero » Tue May 05, 2009 3:10 pm UTC

It doesn't sound bad. If I buy a house, I should be prepared to pay for it. If I get a dog, I should be prepared to feed and walk it. If I get a child, I should be prepared to spend time with it.

I know from experience that having kids is a titanic responsibility. You should expect your time and resources to be completely dedicated to your children for at least a decade, after which your time and resources will still be substantially dedicated to them.

Acting like nothing has changed is horrendously irresponsible.

That said, there's no good argument for fining this mother for the death of her child. Risk exists everywhere, and if she was acting responsibly (and I haven't heard any evidence she wasn't), the car crash wasn't her fault -- she was doing everything possible to mitigate the risk by driving cautiously.

User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30450
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Re: UAE fines mother over baby death

Postby Belial » Tue May 05, 2009 3:14 pm UTC

Look one post above mine.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them

Kain
Posts: 1140
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:29 am UTC
Location: At the center of the observable universe.

Re: UAE fines mother over baby death

Postby Kain » Tue May 05, 2009 3:14 pm UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:The important thing is that two men have already decided they know more about what's good for a pregnant woman than she does.

/thread.

Edit: Really, people think that pregnant women in general can possibly have a tendency to forget they are pregnant?
You live in a different universe than me. I shall use that as a good excuse for the fact that you have terrible opinions.


I personally agree with you that a pregnant womant is generally the one person who knows best what is best for her, but I would have to include an exception for the case of a doctor familiar with the woman throughout her pregnancy.
In other words, I would see the fines as being somewhat justified if (and only if) the woman was driving that day against the explicit orders of the appropriate medical professionals. Barring that, the most I could comprehend as being justified would be a fine for agressive driving.

Just to clarify, though: I am not a medical professional, nor a pregnant woman, nor am I a legal expert on secular and religious law in the United Arab Emirates. As such my opinion is hardly relevant to the topic.
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

User avatar
SJ Zero
Posts: 740
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:10 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: UAE fines mother over baby death

Postby SJ Zero » Tue May 05, 2009 3:16 pm UTC

Many women drink and smoke during pregnancy, causing Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. Don't act like mothers are messianic figures capable of committing no sin.

User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30450
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Re: UAE fines mother over baby death

Postby Belial » Tue May 05, 2009 3:17 pm UTC

In other words, I would see the fines as being somewhat justified if (and only if) the woman was driving that day against the explicit orders of the appropriate medical professionals.


How would fines make any kind of sense for a woman endangering her own fetus? It is inside her body. It has nothing, no life, no sustenance, no health, that it doesn't leech from her in the most literal of senses. In this country, she could KILL IT WITH COMPLETE LEGAL IMPUNITY. But putting it in a slight chance of death is an actionable offense?
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them

Kain
Posts: 1140
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:29 am UTC
Location: At the center of the observable universe.

Re: UAE fines mother over baby death

Postby Kain » Tue May 05, 2009 3:27 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
In other words, I would see the fines as being somewhat justified if (and only if) the woman was driving that day against the explicit orders of the appropriate medical professionals.


How would fines make any kind of sense for a woman endangering her own fetus? It is inside her body. It has nothing, no life, no sustenance, no health, that it doesn't leech from her in the most literal of senses. In this country, she could KILL IT WITH COMPLETE LEGAL IMPUNITY. But putting it in a slight chance of death is an actionable offense?


I was actually thinking about the risk that she would be putting herself in, but you raise a good point. In OUR countries, we have laws that protect the rights of the living, and generally (with a few exceptions of religious zealots) agree that an unborn fetus is just that, and unborn fetus. However, the UAE is not OUR country, but rather a Muslim majority country with a long history of religious and political intertwining. I am not, as previously mentioned, well versed in their law, but I do know that they are a federal constitutional multi-monarchy, with democratically elected officials.
Yes, the UAE follows Sharia law, and yes, from OUR perspective it often seems abusive and unjust. Try to remember though that we do not have a right to force other countries to change their laws to suit our views of morality, just as they do not have the right to force us to adopt Sharia.
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30450
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Re: UAE fines mother over baby death

Postby Belial » Tue May 05, 2009 3:33 pm UTC

Kain wrote:Yes, the UAE follows Sharia law, and yes, from OUR perspective it often seems abusive and unjust. Try to remember though that we do not have a right to force other countries to change their laws to suit our views of morality, just as they do not have the right to force us to adopt Sharia.


No, but we're fully within our rights to call them abusive and unjust.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them

Kain
Posts: 1140
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:29 am UTC
Location: At the center of the observable universe.

Re: UAE fines mother over baby death

Postby Kain » Tue May 05, 2009 3:40 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
Kain wrote:Yes, the UAE follows Sharia law, and yes, from OUR perspective it often seems abusive and unjust. Try to remember though that we do not have a right to force other countries to change their laws to suit our views of morality, just as they do not have the right to force us to adopt Sharia.


No, but we're fully within our rights to call them abusive and unjust.


I well agree with you there, just so you know.
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

User avatar
SJ Zero
Posts: 740
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:10 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: UAE fines mother over baby death

Postby SJ Zero » Tue May 05, 2009 3:41 pm UTC

Who would disagree with something like that?

User avatar
Gellert1984
Posts: 588
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:07 pm UTC
Location: South Wales UK

Re: UAE fines mother over baby death

Postby Gellert1984 » Tue May 05, 2009 3:42 pm UTC

Well I'm going to do a medium sized U-turn and say that Belial and Meaux are right. Realistically there is no need for a law to cover this, based on the video that leslie posted (which scared the bejusus outta me they strapped her legs together and dragged to a hearing, while in labour?!?) we actually need laws to protect a woman from the law.

This does raise an interesting point about fools with good intentons trying to write laws without properly thinking them through.
The only time I question the right to Free Speech is when I watch Fox News, probably due to the fact that I don't think they really believe in it. -Elisa Scaldaferri


Return to “News & Articles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests