Store Clerk Murdered; Customers Keep Shopping

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

The Reaper

Store Clerk Murdered; Customers Keep Shopping

Postby The Reaper » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:19 pm UTC

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/Convenienc ... 47612.html

A 26-year-old convenience store clerk was shot and killed in broad daylight in Gary, Ind., and police say witnesses stood by and did nothing. CBS 2's Pamela Jones reports there are critical clues that may help crack the case.

Police say one of the four men caught on surveillance video bursting into the clerk's booth at the convenience store was about to commit murder. The video shows a man in red run up an aisle and kick in the door to the booth. Within seconds, the clerk, Gurjeet Singh, was shot in the neck.

"It was senseless. And really all homicides are senseless but what we gather from this, there was very little resistance," said Gary Police Department Commander Anthony Titus. "It didn't have to end the way it did."

But Titus says what's even more senseless is the apparent inaction of bystanders standing near the front door almost the whole time.

Police say there were several customers walking around the store after the crime. But only one called 911 for help.

When asked what he finds most disturbing about the surveillance footage, Titus said, "The fact that people went in and out of the store and didn't call police. There is a man laying there. Nobody thinks to dial 911 or check to see if he's OK or anything."

Police want to talk to people who saw the four men at the mini-mart on 15th and Grant just before 5:20 p.m. Sunday.

At a news conference on Wednesday, community organizers demanded Gary police offer a reward for information about the case. They said the people of Gary needed financial incentive to come forward. Investigators said no reward was planned.

Investigators say two suspects were dressed in black shirts, like one man on the tape who looks to be holding a gun. The other two had red shirts. Police think they were driving a burgundy compact car.

"It's clear enough to the point that if you're familiar with that person, you'd be able to look at it and go, that's someone I know," Titus said.

Investigators hope someone who sees this video will be able to help bring Singh's family some closure. He was doing his job one minute and losing a fight for his life seconds later.
What the fuck is wrong with these people? >:\ Greedy fucking kdsgilhfgadiblnfgads. Argg. -_-

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Re: Store Clerk Murdered; Customers Keep Shopping

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:15 am UTC

Gary is famous in Michigan as that shit-heap that you have to drive through to get to Chicago:

You stay classy, Gary.
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

Indon

Postby Indon » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:23 am UTC

Maybe nobody liked the clerk?
So, I like talking. So if you want to talk about something with me, feel free to send me a PM.

My blog, now rarely updated.

Durandal

Postby Durandal » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:31 am UTC

1) Bystander effect. It's hard to appreciate its power until you witness it firsthand, and I have.

2) Media spinning it for oh-dearism's sake.

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:50 am UTC

Reminds me of an article I read a few months ago where passengers on a Greyhound all got off the bus while another passenger was slowly being decapitated by a man with a hunting knife. I think it took place in Canada, and the article referred to the passengers as being brave or something else completely wrong...

In summation...people are cowards.

Durandal

Postby Durandal » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:14 am UTC

crucialityfactor wrote:Reminds me of an article I read a few months ago where passengers on a Greyhound all got off the bus while another passenger was slowly being decapitated by a man with a hunting knife. I think it took place in Canada, and the article referred to the passengers as being brave or something else completely wrong...

Yes, it was in Canada. My sister actually knew that guy. There are loads of articles you can find on the internet about it; however, it should be said that by the time people realized what was happening the guy was basically dead anyway.

Everyone likes to think they would be the hero in an emergency. This just isn't reality. When things happen, they happen fast. Since it isn't something you've ever experienced, your natural reaction is to either freeze or block out what's happening, especially if there are other people around. It takes an extraordinary amount of willpower to force yourself into action.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:16 am UTC

Durandal wrote:
crucialityfactor wrote:Reminds me of an article I read a few months ago where passengers on a Greyhound all got off the bus while another passenger was slowly being decapitated by a man with a hunting knife. I think it took place in Canada, and the article referred to the passengers as being brave or something else completely wrong...

Yes, it was in Canada. My sister actually knew that guy. There are loads of articles you can find on the internet about it; however, it should be said that by the time people realized what was happening the guy was basically dead anyway.

Everyone likes to think they would be the hero in an emergency. This just isn't reality. When things happen, they happen fast. Since it isn't something you've ever experienced, your natural reaction is to either freeze or block out what's happening, especially if there are other people around. It takes an extraordinary amount of willpower to force yourself into action.

Military training sometimes helps.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:51 am UTC

Indon wrote:Maybe nobody liked the clerk?

Or, they were helping to stimulate the economy. Stopping to help the clerk would have slowed the shopping down and thus stagnated the economy. IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT?! DO YOU WANT MORE COMPANIES TO FAIL? HOW DARE YOU HATE AMERICA SIR! HOW DARE YOU!

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:30 am UTC

Ah, one more reason to hate humanity.

Also, it kinda makes me glad that I am no longer a gas station clerk. While the worst that I had to personally deal with were drive-offs and rude people, one person I worked with did get robbed. Add to that the fact that the only things we were (legally) allowed to defend ourselves with were the... security cameras. Oh, and a silent alarm button. Yeah, that'll put the fear into them.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

Return to “News & Articles”