Gorilla HIV in humans

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

The Reaper

Gorilla HIV in humans

Postby The Reaper » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:24 pm UTC

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1 ... nline-news
A new strain of HIV has jumped from gorillas to humans. So far, only one person, a 62-year-old French woman from Cameroon, has been found to be infected with the virus, which closely resembles strains of simian immunodeficiency virus (SIV) recently discovered in western gorillas in the wild.

"It would be surprising if there aren't some more" human cases, says David Robertson, a bioinformaticist at the University of Manchester, UK who analysed the virus's DNA along with colleagues in France. "We don't think this is a direct gorilla-to-human transmission."

Until 2004, the infected woman lived in a suburb of Cameroon's capital city Yaoundé, where she didn't come into contact with apes or eat their meat – SIV's primary route to humans. This means that she probably acquired the infection from another human, likely through sexual contact.

The woman hasn't yet shown any sign of a compromised immune system – the hallmark of AIDS – but tests on laboratory-cultured human cells suggest that the virus can replicate in the same white blood cells as other strains of HIV. However, the new virus should be susceptible to anti-retroviral drugs that slow the growth of other strains of HIV, Robertson says.

Based on its genetic sequence, the virus appears most closely related to a number of SIV strains collected recently in gorilla faecal samples from forests in Cameroon. These viruses also resemble "group O" strains of HIV, which infect far fewer people than other strains of HIV, most of them in Cameroon.

The discovery of a gorilla virus in humans could suggest that some of these group O viruses came from gorillas, Robertson says, but it's also possible that the virus originated chimpanzees and was transmitted independently to gorillas and to humans.

"Until we do more sampling we're also guessing a little bit," Robertson concedes.

Moreover, the virus's discovery adds to growing evidence that new HIV strains may regularly emerge from other primates, says Martine Peeters, a virologist at the University of Montpellier, who led the team that identified the first gorilla SIV strains. "It is just an additional demonstration that these viruses have jumped several times from apes to humans."

Virologists could be missing many of these transmissions because existing HIV tests are biased to identify already circulating strains of the virus. "We're very good at detecting HIV, so unless you do these other more in depth tests, you wouldn't necessarily detect these very divergent viruses," Robertson says.

Journal reference: Nature Medicine (DOI: 10.1038/nm.2016)
Ruh roh.

Gears
Bulletproof

Re: Gorilla HIV in humans

Postby Gears » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:31 pm UTC

If people would just quit shooting up with Gorillas this wouldn't happen.
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.

brakos82

Postby brakos82 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:41 pm UTC

Gears wrote:If people would just quit shooting up with Gorillas this wouldn't happen.

Especially 62-year-old women. :shock:
I am Brakos, and I may or may not approve this message.

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:39 am UTC

I lost for I laughed.

I really wish I knew more about the HIV and AIDs viruses on a more molecular scale. I'd love to research it. Anyways, does this seem a dumb question but isn't is part of HIV "to replicate in human cells"?
Spoiler:
Analysis of the virus in the laboratory has confirmed that it can replicate in human cells.
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:06 am UTC

Cytoplasm wrote:I lost for I laughed.

I really wish I knew more about the HIV and AIDs viruses on a more molecular scale. I'd love to research it. Anyways, does this seem a dumb question but isn't is part of HIV "to replicate in human cells"?
Spoiler:
Analysis of the virus in the laboratory has confirmed that it can replicate in human cells.

Er, if you're asking what I think you're asking, yes. HIV can replicate in certain human cells. But what they have isn't just a random HIV+ person - she seems to have a strain that jumped recently from another species. So it's important to know if it readily replicates in humans.

Oort

Postby Oort » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:01 am UTC

I think he meant, why does a gorilla have human immunodeficiency virus. Eh, maybe I'm wrong.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:46 am UTC

Oort wrote:I think he meant, why does a gorilla have human immunodeficiency virus. Eh, maybe I'm wrong.

well, once it infects humans white cells and not simian white cells, it turns from SIV to HIV?

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:50 am UTC

The Reaper wrote:
Oort wrote:I think he meant, why does a gorilla have human immunodeficiency virus. Eh, maybe I'm wrong.

well, once it infects humans white cells and not simian white cells, it turns from SIV to HIV?

Species isn't actually a definite, well-defined concept free of ambiguity. A gorilla has a virus that mutated and wound up in a human. The categorization doesn't change the fact that it's an individual strain we're just shunting together with other closely related viruses. Basically, categories are for our convenience, they don't reflect reality and tend to break down. Scientists just decided to classify this as HIV instead of SIV is the real answer.

Zorlin

Postby Zorlin » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:51 am UTC

How did she become infected? I assume it was through recieving blood or copious amounts of saliva... right... right...?

Edit: "Until 2004, the infected woman lived in a suburb of Cameroon's capital city Yaoundé, where she didn't come into contact with apes or eat their meat – SIV's primary route to humans. This means that she probably acquired the infection from another human, likely through sexual contact."

A better question... how did the other human become infected?
Mysterious wizard rabbit of unknown proportions.

Check out #xkcd-hugs movie night! Watch movies with your fellow xkcdians.

Meaux_Pas wrote:You're all mad.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:55 am UTC

The most common way for disease to jump to humans is through hunters or farmers. There are people who hunt gorillas for food, then carry the body to the camp over their back. They're cut and bruised from the hunt, the gorilla is bleeding and leaking body fluids everywhere, presto: opportunity for a pathogen to jump to humans. From there, it depends on whether the pathogen can go from human to human.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

Zorlin

Postby Zorlin » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:59 am UTC

poxic wrote:The most common way for disease to jump to humans is through hunters or farmers. There are people who hunt gorillas for food, then carry the body to the camp over their back. They're cut and bruised from the hunt, the gorilla is bleeding and leaking body fluids everywhere, presto: opportunity for a pathogen to jump to humans. From there, it depends on whether the pathogen can go from human to human.

Ah, this makes a lot of sense. I figured it was something like that.

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:34 am UTC

Nah, she was having sex with it and shooting up heroin. True Facts.
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.

Oculus Vespertilionis

Postby Oculus Vespertilionis » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:42 pm UTC

poxic wrote:The most common way for disease to jump to humans is through hunters or farmers. There are people who hunt gorillas for food, then carry the body to the camp over their back. They're cut and bruised from the hunt, the gorilla is bleeding and leaking body fluids everywhere, presto: opportunity for a pathogen to jump to humans. From there, it depends on whether the pathogen can go from human to human.

I want to hear about the gorilla farmers.
-OcV
You do what you can to make relationships and to respect yourself and others. Everything else is bookkeeping.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:08 pm UTC

Zorlin wrote:Ah, this makes a lot of sense. I figured it was something like that.

You know, it said so right in the part you quoted:
Zorlin wrote:"Until 2004, the infected woman lived in a suburb of Cameroon's capital city Yaoundé, where she didn't come into contact with apes or eat their meat – SIV's primary route to humans.

On a separate note, I recently heard that they have found apes with AIDS caused by SIV. Previously, while we of course knew the viruses were closely related, the immunodeficiency that causes such problems for infected humans hadn't been observed in simians.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Zorlin

Postby Zorlin » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:37 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Zorlin wrote:Ah, this makes a lot of sense. I figured it was something like that.

You know, it said so right in the part you quoted:
Zorlin wrote:"Until 2004, the infected woman lived in a suburb of Cameroon's capital city Yaoundé, where she didn't come into contact with apes or eat their meat – SIV's primary route to humans.

On a separate note, I recently heard that they have found apes with AIDS caused by SIV. Previously, while we of course knew the viruses were closely related, the immunodeficiency that causes such problems for infected humans hadn't been observed in simians.

/facepalm

Not sure how I missed that. I remember reading it, even.

I guess this could end up being a good thing - observing things in infected apes might help research t'ward a cure.

Return to “News & Articles”