BBC to bizzare too be beleived

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

maja
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:10 pm UTC

BBC to bizzare too be beleived

Postby maja » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:16 pm UTC

OK, i had to preserve this for posterity, not a news item in itself, but rather the choice of news items made by BBC, meant to be one of the most respected public broadcasters ever...

So their top three stories at this moment, top three in the world right now are:
That girl's abductor's pleading not guilty,
Michael Jackson's death ruled a homicide and...

wait for it

Spoiler:
Noel Gallagher leaving Oasis.


Seriously that is, according to whatever algorithm they are using, the most important stuff going on?
Is it the stuff they think I will be most interested in? Seriously?
Attachments
bbc idiocy.JPG
screenshot of bbc site 29.8.2009 00:09 gmt
bbc idiocy.JPG (117.07 KiB) Viewed 4537 times

maja
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:10 pm UTC

Re: BBC too bizare to be believed

Postby maja » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:23 pm UTC

Ha ha, and I just noticed at the top, the "latest" item is, of course, the newest Big Brother eviction...

Can I please skip over to one of the parallel universes that have not yet gone completely mental?

User avatar
screech
Posts: 200
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:20 am UTC

Re: BBC too bizare to be believed

Postby screech » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:30 pm UTC

Is it the stuff they think I will be most interested in? Seriously?


If you are an Oasis fan, then possibly. They were a pretty big band, and this means (I assume) they're pretty much over. The Michael Jackson story isn't much more important objectively.

A lot of the stories in "other top stories" look to have much more import ("Murdoch attack on "dominant" BBC)(Although how could they report that objectively?) so the problem just seems to be the underlying populism.
alitheiapsis wrote:HEY NOW DON'T TALK SHIT ABOUT BRONTOSAURUSES

Ended
Posts: 1459
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:27 pm UTC
Location: The Tower of Flints. (Also known as: England.)

Re: BBC too bizare to be believed

Postby Ended » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:31 pm UTC

I dunno, Oasis is a pretty big band which I imagine a lot of people (although not me personally) are interested in. Which news item would you prefer to be in that spot?

I'm reminded of a line from Peep Show:
Mark wrote:I suppose the news should just be a dispassionate list of all the events that occurred the world over during the day. That would be good. Except, of course, it would take forever.


The Big Brother thing is annoying, I'll give you that :)
Generally I try to make myself do things I instinctively avoid, in case they are awesome.
-dubsola

User avatar
Lumpy
I can has morbid obesity?
Posts: 1450
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:19 pm UTC

Re: BBC too bizare to be believed

Postby Lumpy » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:37 pm UTC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8227991.stm

Weapons being intercepted during a shipment from North Korea to Iran is passe.

User avatar
Darkscull
Posts: 798
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:46 am UTC
Location: Now where I want to be

Re: BBC too bizare to be believed

Postby Darkscull » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:41 pm UTC

The articles on the main page are not just the 'top' articles but also the latest. They have to juggle the two concepts and quite often end up with something silly.
Physicists do it in an excited state.
m/bi/UK/Ⓐ/chaotic good
b. 1988 d. 20xx

User avatar
Crius
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:27 pm UTC

Re: BBC too bizare to be believed

Postby Crius » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:46 am UTC

Lumpy wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8227991.stm

Weapons being intercepted during a shipment from North Korea to Iran is passe.


Wait wait wait...

Does this mean that Bush was actually onto something with that whole "axis" thing?

User avatar
dedalus
Posts: 1169
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:16 pm UTC
Location: Dark Side of the Moon.

Re: BBC too bizare to be believed

Postby dedalus » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:07 am UTC

Despite what intellectual elitists might think (myself included), celebrity is news, and it's news that an awful lot of people want to see. Personally, I don't want to actually read any of that crap, but the beauty of the internet is that you don't just have to read whatever stories are on the front page. So unless the bbc sacrifices it's journalistic integrity, or starts missing important world news, I think I can deal with an occasional unimportant trash story grazing the front page. It would be nice to have news websites that completely skipped even reporting on those things and only reported on world issues (if someone knows such a site with good journalism, please post), but most of these sites are made with the primary aim of drawing people to them and not some other site, and cutting out or hiding celebrity gossip under the rug only serves to reduce that.

And hell, I don't mean to stereotype, but on average the people who want real news are much more likely to go searching for it then the people who want celebrity.
doogly wrote:Oh yea, obviously they wouldn't know Griffiths from Sakurai if I were throwing them at them.

The Reaper
Posts: 4008
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:37 am UTC
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Contact:

Re: BBC too bizare to be believed

Postby The Reaper » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:26 am UTC

Crius wrote:
Lumpy wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8227991.stm

Weapons being intercepted during a shipment from North Korea to Iran is passe.


Wait wait wait...

Does this mean that Bush was actually onto something with that whole "axis" thing?

Spoiler:
BUSHINT.jpg
BUSHINT.jpg (123.3 KiB) Viewed 4340 times

But yea, maybe.

User avatar
Darkscull
Posts: 798
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:46 am UTC
Location: Now where I want to be

Re: BBC too bizare to be believed

Postby Darkscull » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:41 am UTC

Crius wrote:
Lumpy wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8227991.stm

Weapons being intercepted during a shipment from North Korea to Iran is passe.


Wait wait wait...

Does this mean that Bush was actually onto something with that whole "axis" thing?


It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Sanctions on Iran and North Korea by everyone means they'll talk to each other. No one else will listen.


edit: That's a gross simplification though, obviously.
Physicists do it in an excited state.
m/bi/UK/Ⓐ/chaotic good
b. 1988 d. 20xx

maja
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:10 pm UTC

Re: BBC too bizare to be believed

Postby maja » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:30 pm UTC

I know celebrity is news, and I know juggling "latest" with "relevant" news items is not a straightforward and objective task...
I'm not naive, wouldn't even consider myself an idealist.
And yes, the intertubes in their infinite amazingness allow us to practice our intelectual elitism with just a little bit of effort, so can't complain there (unless you live in China or some shit like that).
But an institution like the BBC still should have a "juggling algorithm" that would prohibit ALL of their top stories falling under entertainment/voayerism labels. They are there to provide a public service, and that doesn't mean giving the public what it wants.

User avatar
Jesse
Vocal Terrorist
Posts: 8635
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Basingstoke, England.
Contact:

Re: BBC too bizare to be believed

Postby Jesse » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:34 pm UTC

You're operating under the assumption that BBC news is something to be in any way proud of. BBC news is, and probably always will be awful, biased news.

User avatar
Diadem
Posts: 5654
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:03 am UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: BBC too bizare to be believed

Postby Diadem » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:00 pm UTC

Well if you include Michael Jackson including Oasis is not strange. They are a pretty big band, and they are British. It's logical for the BBC to focus more on Britisch news, is it not?

Personally the fact that Michael Jackson is still making headlines upsets me more than the fact that there is a single news article about Oasis splitting up. News like that deserves a mention, as long as you don't obsess over it.

[edit]
And to be quite frank, is the kidnapping of a single girl really worth global headlines?
Last edited by Diadem on Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

User avatar
dedalus
Posts: 1169
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:16 pm UTC
Location: Dark Side of the Moon.

Re: BBC too bizare to be believed

Postby dedalus » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:01 pm UTC

Woah, woah, Jesse. You're going to have to give me some proof of those claims please. I'm not saying you're wrong because you might know more then me, but I was definitely of the impression that the BBC was one of the last few bastions of semi-decent non-consumerist journalism.
doogly wrote:Oh yea, obviously they wouldn't know Griffiths from Sakurai if I were throwing them at them.

User avatar
PhoenixRider
Posts: 195
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:38 pm UTC
Location: Canada, Alberta

Re: BBC too bizare to be believed

Postby PhoenixRider » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:15 pm UTC

Just so you guys know, they aren't as different as CNN.

The reason they were reporting on BigBrother was because Big Brother is an extremely popular show in the UK. In the peek of it's popularity 8 million+ people watched the show and was known as the most popular show in the UK.

Unfortunately Celebrity shit has dominated the news now-a-days for higher ratings. It's like CNN or MSNBC talking about Jon and Kate plus 8.

User avatar
Arancaytar
Posts: 1642
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:54 am UTC
Location: 52.44°N, 13.55°E
Contact:

Re: BBC too bizare to be believed

Postby Arancaytar » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:28 pm UTC

That girl's abductor's pleading not guilty,
Michael Jackson's death ruled a homicide and...


What, they're still talking about MJ?
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.
Image

User avatar
Lumpy
I can has morbid obesity?
Posts: 1450
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:19 pm UTC

Re: BBC too bizare to be believed

Postby Lumpy » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:26 pm UTC

When I said that a few days after his death I got the "don't you dare ruin this moment of grief and tragedy for the mournful masses" treatment (not from here), but I still think that if you're going to cover someone's death like that at all, you might as well cover the whole story instead of leaving it as it was initially reported. Now if only the media would do these updates when it turns out something extraordinary they reported was actually mundane.

User avatar
Jesse
Vocal Terrorist
Posts: 8635
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Basingstoke, England.
Contact:

Re: BBC too bizare to be believed

Postby Jesse » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:37 pm UTC

dedalus wrote:Woah, woah, Jesse. You're going to have to give me some proof of those claims please. I'm not saying you're wrong because you might know more then me, but I was definitely of the impression that the BBC was one of the last few bastions of semi-decent non-consumerist journalism.


http://www.biased-bbc.blogspot.com/ is a fun website I found just now.

WARNING: Heavily Republican, and full of crap. But has the occasional good point about the bias of the BBC.

winegums
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 7:46 pm UTC

Re: BBC too bizare to be believed

Postby winegums » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:50 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:
dedalus wrote:Woah, woah, Jesse. You're going to have to give me some proof of those claims please. I'm not saying you're wrong because you might know more then me, but I was definitely of the impression that the BBC was one of the last few bastions of semi-decent non-consumerist journalism.


http://www.biased-bbc.blogspot.com/ is a fun website I found just now.



trollface.jpg

once you scrape beneath the well-intentioned veneer of being a website exposing bias in the BBC, you should see that this website is just a bunch of racists complaining that the BBC is Basic Human Decency gone made because they don't denounce all Muslims as suicide happy democracy haters..for example...

A sex offender deemed to be a danger to women and children has absconded from a psychiatric unit in West Yorkshire. Mohammed Rafiq Passwala did not return to Fieldhead Hospital, near Wakefield, after being given unsupervised leave. Passwala, who was convicted of sex offences in 1996, is described as Asian, 5ft 7in tall, of stocky build with black/grey hair and a full beard.""Asian", eh? Mmmm, I think there's another word that the BBC appears to have overlooked.


http://biased-bbc.blogspot.com/2009/08/ ... -word.html

Those top stories really do sadden me. Journalism really is going down the tubes, and I'd always hoped that since the BBC doesn't need to fight for ratings (since it doesn't generate income from advertisements) it could just report the news. To be fair, at the time of posting the big stories are Afghanistan and the Lockerbie Bomber, so there's some credibility there.

User avatar
Jesse
Vocal Terrorist
Posts: 8635
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Basingstoke, England.
Contact:

Re: BBC too bizare to be believed

Postby Jesse » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:59 am UTC

Perhaps you missed my glaring warning about it being full of crap. Once again, I state that it has a few good points (Mostly because it's a group of contributors, and one of them occasionally makes sense) but that the rest is pretty awful. It was just the first link I could throw up because I was tired .

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2005/nov/26/bbc.radio

wikipedia wrote:The BBC has also been accused of racism. In a speech to the Royal Television Society, Lenny Henry said that ethnic minorities were "pitifully underserved". Jimmy McGovern in his speech to the RTS called the BBC the most racist institution in Britain.8 The BBC is striving for 12.5% of its staff to be from a black and minority ethnic background (12% at 31 January 2009).9 This is over 4 percent higher than the current percentage of ethnic minorities in the UK. However, it has been argued that much of its ethnic minority staff are cleaners, security guards and other menial labour, rather than as presenters and programme makers10


And, to finish this portion of our album, an amusing quote from John Pilger:
John Pilger wrote:The BBC began in 1922, just before the corporate press began in America. Its founder was Lord John Reith, who believed that impartiality and objectivity were the essence of professionalism. In the same year the British establishment was under siege. The unions had called a general strike and the Tories were terrified that a revolution was on the way. The new BBC came to their rescue. In high secrecy, Lord Reith wrote anti-union speeches for the Tory Prime Minister Stanley Baldwin and broadcast them to the nation, while refusing to allow the labour leaders to put their side until the strike was over. So, a pattern was set. Impartiality was a principle certainly: a principle to be suspended whenever the establishment was under threat. And that principle has been upheld ever since.

User avatar
Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.
Posts: 6491
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:16 am UTC
Location: Boston

Re: BBC too bizare to be believed

Postby Azrael » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:47 am UTC

maja wrote:Seriously that is, according to whatever algorithm they are using, the most important stuff going on?
Is it the stuff they think I will be most interested in? Seriously?

Considering that often times those are bumped based on a combination of how recent they are, or how popular they are: Yes, that's the stuff that 'you' (their readers) are frequently most interested in.

I guess what I'm saying is that you only have 'youself' to blame.

winegums
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 7:46 pm UTC

Re: BBC too bizare to be believed

Postby winegums » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:38 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:Perhaps you missed my glaring warning about it being full of crap.


Apologies, I actually did miss that. Posting late(ish) at night when tired is silly.

User avatar
Felstaff
Occam's Taser
Posts: 5181
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:10 pm UTC
Location: ¢ ₪ ¿ ¶ § ∴ ® © ™ ؟ ¡ ‽ æ Þ ° ₰ ₤ ಡಢ

Re: BBC too bizare to be believed

Postby Felstaff » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:48 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:You're operating under the assumption that BBC news is something to be in any way proud of. BBC news is, and probably always will be awful, biased news.

Don't believe his lies! The BBC is the epitome of impartiality. Consider the case in a state of rest.

Anyway, the reason you saw those three stories is because, hey, guess what, it generates traffic. Yemeni farmers revolting over grain wholesale price increase does not. Your ideals of 'importance' when it comes to newsworthiness is usually trounced by mouseclicks. And even if some band you don't like makes the front page of an internet site for a couple of hours, I'm sure if you were to sell 70 million records, you might make it there too.

In short I'm unsure why this is even a topic in N&A
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

User avatar
TheGrammarBolshevik
Posts: 4878
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:12 am UTC
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Re: BBC too bizare to be believed

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:21 am UTC

Oh, please. Slagging on others' interests is an N&A pastime.
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

MrGee
Posts: 998
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:33 pm UTC

Re: BBC too bizare to be believed

Postby MrGee » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:16 am UTC

My friend has been on BBC radio multiple times, commenting on the Iranian nuclear situation. Apparently they introduce him as some kind of expert.

This is a guy who lives in Massachusetts, never got a college degree, and sits in a lazyboy all day programming blackberry software.

As cool as it was, my faith in the BBC was shaken.

User avatar
Felstaff
Occam's Taser
Posts: 5181
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:10 pm UTC
Location: ¢ ₪ ¿ ¶ § ∴ ® © ™ ؟ ¡ ‽ æ Þ ° ₰ ₤ ಡಢ

Re: BBC too bizare to be believed

Postby Felstaff » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:15 pm UTC

Oh, and also: the Oasis split is pretty big news.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

User avatar
Hoofed Plover
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:09 pm UTC
Location: Long Island, U.S.

Re: BBC too bizare to be believed

Postby Hoofed Plover » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:57 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:Oh, and also: the Oasis split is pretty big news.

:P

I agree with the people who said that while MJ's death may be more important than Oasis, it's not that much more important. But Jesse's points make me sad—I guess the old-timey news organizations really are going downhill. We still have the Economist, or so I think.
Hic labor ille domus et inextricabilis error
—Virgil


Return to “News & Articles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CorruptUser and 10 guests