2016 Olympics winner

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

harpyblues

2016 Olympics winner

Postby harpyblues » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:02 pm UTC

Congrats to Rio.

From CBS:
COPENHAGEN, Denmark (CBS)
CBS
Nearly 50,000 people cheered in celebration when Rio de Janeiro was announced as host of the 2016 Olympics, jumping and shouting in a Carnival-like party on Copacabana beach.

A huge roar was heard at the famed beach the moment International Olympic Committee President Jacques Rogge said the words "Rio de Janeiro" to announce the winner in Copenhagen on Friday.

As popular President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva and football great Pele celebrated in Denmark, the Cariocas, as Rio citizens are known, raised their arms to celebrate on Copacabana, frantically waving flags and hugging each other.

Silva called the win a "sacred day" as he was interviewed in Portuguese by Brazilian reporters in Copenhagen. Brazil's passion, he said, helped Rio win the Olympics against Madrid, Chicago and Tokyo.

"The other countries made proposals," he said. "We presented a heart, a soul, and the passion of Brazil's people."

Chicago got booted out in the first round, followed by Tokyo and then Madrid. Frankly, I'm kind of happy that Rio got it, 'cause South America hasn't had a shot yet while America and Japan has had it a couple times.
michaelandjimi wrote:But these are zombies of cuteness!

General_Norris

Re: 2016 Olympics winner

Postby General_Norris » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:30 pm UTC

I may be biased because I'm Spaniard, live near Madrid and the local goverment has been very involved but I don't think Rio was a good choice, it was the only "bad" choice in my mind.

As far as I know it lacks quite a bit on a structural level and it has hotel issues and stuff. It seems everyone around here thought the same because when Tokyo got the hammer everyone thought we were going to win.

Briareos

Postby Briareos » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:21 pm UTC

Good for Rio. I love Chicago, but I think having the Olympics there would have been a debacle (an Olympic stadium in Washington Park?). Also, I've now heard several times that no city has ever made money hosting the Olympics. I don't know if it's true, but it's eminently plausible.
Sandry wrote:Bless you, Briareos.

Blriaraisghaasghoasufdpt.
Oregonaut wrote:Briareos is my new bestest friend.

Bubbles McCoy

Postby Bubbles McCoy » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:26 pm UTC

I believe Los Angeles in '84 remains the only city to have profited from the Olympics. I think Mitt claimed to turn one on the Salt Lake City Olympics, but I'm not sure if that's factual or just a campaign claim.

AtlasDrugged

Postby AtlasDrugged » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:45 pm UTC

Obama goes out there, charms the organisers with his dazzling wit, and yet Chicago is knocked out in the first round?

There is only one explanation.

Say it with me.

The IOC is RACIST.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:01 pm UTC

I know Vancouver is just HEMMORHAGING money getting ready for the Olympics, but we're a cut-rate province in a lesser economic power. Rio has a metropolitan population of 14,000,000 (slightly more than half of my entire country) and the GDP for the city was R$ 127,956,075,000 (2006), which is about 71 BILLION US dollars.

I think they'll be ok.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:37 pm UTC

AtlasDrugged wrote:Obama goes out there, charms the organisers with his dazzling wit, and yet Chicago is knocked out in the first round?

There is only one explanation.

Say it with me.

The IOC is RACIST.

Or the IOC wants to throw down with Oprah.

Of course, have a nice weekend new networks. You'll be sure to overanalyze whether or not Obama's credibility has been damaged over something nobody honestly gives two shits about; much less even expected him to be victorious on.

Sharlos

Postby Sharlos » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:23 am UTC

Briareos wrote:Good for Rio. I love Chicago, but I think having the Olympics there would have been a debacle (an Olympic stadium in Washington Park?). Also, I've now heard several times that no city has ever made money hosting the Olympics. I don't know if it's true, but it's eminently plausible.

The Sydney Olympics were the first Olympics to make a profit.

Bubbles McCoy

Postby Bubbles McCoy » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:37 am UTC

While kind of straying from the topic, this article makes it seem as though there was a big gap in between 1932 and 1984 where the games were wildly unprofitable, but after LA there have been a string of games that stayed in the green.

frezik

Postby frezik » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:38 am UTC

I was hoping for Chicago. Live a few hours away and was dreaming about going down to see the atmosphere. I don't think I'd go to an event, but I imagine the whole city would be quite an interesting sight.

I can understand the Chicagoians that didn't want it. It'll inevitably cause a backlog of traffic and make a for a bunch of stadiums that get used once and never again. But isn't the same true of any other city?
I do not agree with the beer you drink, but will defend to the death your right to drink it

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:39 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I know Vancouver is just HEMMORHAGING money getting ready for the Olympics, but we're a cut-rate province in a lesser economic power. Rio has a metropolitan population of 14,000,000 (slightly more than half of my entire country) and the GDP for the city was R$ 127,956,075,000 (2006), which is about 71 BILLION US dollars.

I think they'll be ok.

Yea. I've just been thrilled about all the extra construction ruining traffic and the new hyper expensive facilities built in places that are entirely inaccessable to anyone living in the main city area.

Franky I'm going to be thrilled when this is all over. I'm not going to say it's impossible for Olympics to be a good thing for a city/country, but I mean look at the Montreal games. Deficit much? The idea that having the games is some kind of free money pass is really out of tune with reality.

Frankly the only part of the Olympics coming to Vancouver that's given me any joy is that we've finally got a freaking skytrain line to the airport.
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris.

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:19 am UTC

The Vancouver olympics aren't just bankrupting the city, they're dragging the province down the drain. It's just one more awful, awful decision our fucking useless government has made in the last 8 years. I wish the idiots who vote for them would suffer collective brain death due to pure stupidity.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:22 am UTC

I dunno... if they did, the Conservatives Alliance would be in charge. Do you want to explain to your kids why they have to go to school at the gas station? ;)

The Olympics are great for the city.

The Olympics being designed by Vancouver politicians and government-funded engineers is stupidity on a scale not seen since the upside-town elevator.

IggyJack

Postby IggyJack » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:27 am UTC

I read that Rio got picked and I was like "good for them". I don't think South America has ever hosted an Olympic event. Or am I way out of date on my culture references?
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man. -Thomas Paine.
My country is the world, and my religion is to do good. -Thomas Paine.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:52 am UTC

IggyJack wrote:I read that Rio got picked and I was like "good for them". I don't think South America has ever hosted an Olympic event. Or am I way out of date on my culture references?

No, you're completely correct. Which is why no city should have even given a shit with Rio in the running. It's like betting against a Catholic being elected Pope.

cerbie

Postby cerbie » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:54 pm UTC

General_Norris wrote:I may be biased because I'm Spaniard, live near Madrid and the local goverment has been very involved but I don't think Rio was a good choice, it was the only "bad" choice in my mind.

As far as I know it lacks quite a bit on a structural level and it has hotel issues and stuff. It seems everyone around here thought the same because when Tokyo got the hammer everyone thought we were going to win.
But that is not unrelated to why it would be a good choice. They are an emerging economy, doing their best to keep from starving themselves as they grow, and a way to get some better world recognition (w/o nuclear weapons programs and such ;)) is something I've sure they've been itching for for a decade or two. Their desire to use it as an excuse to build transportation infrastructure, and do some politically-delayed environmental cleanup, also doesn't hurt my opinion. A bit of a gamble, sure, but it's also about damn time, and can benefit Brazil a whole lot more than Japan or Spain.
DSenette: (...) on the whole, even a trained killer cow is kind of stupid.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:23 pm UTC

Chicago had tons of pros/cons, but I gotta say, I'm pretty glad it wasn't here. Chicago has a long and proud history of near hostile gentrification, and the LAST thing the city needs is yet another stadium (we've got like 5 + a very very large convention center). Pure and simple it was just a fatcat bid to line the pockets of mayor Daley's affiliates.

But Rio??? I mean... Doesn't Rio have the highest rate of kidnapping in the world? Not that Washington Park was any better, being a few blocks from the highest murder rate in the country just next door, but still.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:42 pm UTC

South America was due. And I'm assuming the Brazillians will make this into a huge party. Can't wait to see their opening ceremony. :mrgreen:
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:59 pm UTC

el_loco_avs wrote:South America was due. And I'm assuming the Brazillians will make this into a huge party. Can't wait to see their opening ceremony. :mrgreen:

tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:04 pm UTC

el_loco_avs wrote:Can't wait to see their opening ceremony. :mrgreen:

There's no way it'll be PG-13.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:29 pm UTC

that's 90% of the reason i'm already looking forward to it!

I hope they get some CSS music in there or something :D
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:34 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
el_loco_avs wrote:Can't wait to see their opening ceremony. :mrgreen:

There's no way it'll be PG-13.

Screw sports, I want to see them compete for the Gold medal in partying.

kapojinha

Postby kapojinha » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:15 am UTC

General_Norris wrote:I may be biased because I'm Spaniard, live near Madrid and the local goverment has been very involved but I don't think Rio was a good choice, it was the only "bad" choice in my mind.

They're offering all of the athletes a private beach. :o
Anyway, I think it's great that Rio got the 2016 Olympics. They have the 2014 World Cup as well, don't they? :D
"My desire for knowledge is intermittent, but my desire to bathe my head in atmospheres unknown to my feet is perennial and constant."

Horwood Beer-Master

Postby Horwood Beer-Master » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:21 pm UTC

Sharlos wrote:
Briareos wrote:Good for Rio. I love Chicago, but I think having the Olympics there would have been a debacle (an Olympic stadium in Washington Park?). Also, I've now heard several times that no city has ever made money hosting the Olympics. I don't know if it's true, but it's eminently plausible.

I bet anything you like London won't. We should never have bid for those dammed games!
Also available on rationalia.

Seraph

Postby Seraph » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm UTC

Sharlos wrote:

Do you have a decent source for this? Because according to every source I can dig up the 1984 Olympics in LA are generally made something like a quarter of a billion dollar profit.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:18 pm UTC

Random article mentioning LA 1984 being profitable:
http://www.lilith-ezine.com/articles/he ... erism.html

However, it seems the numbers are often manipulated.

Question:

Should Olympics be profitable?
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:51 pm UTC

el_loco_avs wrote:Should Olympics be profitable?

If they're not, what city is going to want to host them? *speculation ensues* Cities compete to host the Olympics because of the potential profit. Imagine if hosting the Olympics was a sure thing for a massive deficit. "Host the Olympics, we'll bankrupt your city!" Doesn't have much of a ring to it for the IOC. While I certainly don't think the cities that bid to host expect a massive profit, I do think that they expect to at least break even. *speculation ends*

On that issue though, presently with only a few months to go, Vancouver still has a book full of unfilled neccissary positions for the games.
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris.

Quenouille

Postby Quenouille » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:14 am UTC

The Utilitarian wrote:
el_loco_avs wrote:Should Olympics be profitable?

If they're not, what city is going to want to host them?

I can't imagine Beijing having turned a profit, and for some reason that clearly didn't seem to be the point of the exercise.

MrGee

Postby MrGee » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:18 am UTC

China has massive state-sponsored Olympic training schools that practically abduct small children and train them to be athletes for the honor of the country. Clearly they are not all there when it comes to sporting events.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:59 am UTC

Or rather, they saw sporting events on a world stage as something other than a profit-turner. The worth they got out of the Olympics had nothing to do with money, it was social and political and nationalistic. The people in China saw it as a chance to be legitimized on the world stage, rather like a debutante's "coming out ball," if you will.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

RetSpline

Postby RetSpline » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:48 am UTC

frezik wrote:I can understand the Chicagoians that didn't want it. It'll inevitably cause a backlog of traffic and make a for a bunch of stadiums that get used once and never again. But isn't the same true of any other city?
Having been in the Munich Olympic Park, I can say for certain that the stadiums do not necessarily have to be used just once, for the Olympics. I can't remember who designed the Munich Park, but they did a wonderful job of making sure it'd be usable after the huge crowds of people had left, like making the majority of the seating for the swimming pool temporary; there's only something like 1/100th (going off my bad memory here, so apologies if I'm way off) as many seats there now as there were during the Olympics.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:52 am UTC

How are we measuring "Profit"? Anyway? I mean Olympics increase heaps of things indirectly and having a stadium has other benefits as well...
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Comic JK

Postby Comic JK » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:00 am UTC

There seems to me a distinct possibility that having the Olympics in a city would popularize it and boost tourism for years--especially for a city that rich-country citizens might not have considered, like Rio.

A well-trafficked city like Chicago or London, of course, would receive less of this benefit.
A webcomic funnier than life itself. Updated Monday-Friday.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:05 am UTC

Comic JK wrote:There seems to me a distinct possibility that having the Olympics in a city would popularize it and boost tourism for years--especially for a city that rich-country citizens might not have considered, like Rio.

A well-trafficked city like Chicago or London, of course, would receive less of this benefit.

Exactly, plus there are other indirect benefits in terms of politics and trade and stuff. Plus the deficit of setting up a huge ass stadium are spread across more than just the Olympics (though obviously that isn't the only cost in setting up the olympics).
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

tacticus

Postby tacticus » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:19 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:
Comic JK wrote:There seems to me a distinct possibility that having the Olympics in a city would popularize it and boost tourism for years--especially for a city that rich-country citizens might not have considered, like Rio.

Exactly, plus there are other indirect benefits in terms of politics and trade and stuff. Plus the deficit of setting up a huge ass stadium are spread across more than just the Olympics (though obviously that isn't the only cost in setting up the olympics).

And don't forget the opportunities for excellent mockumentries about the running of them (still imo the best thing to come out of the syd olympics)

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:14 am UTC

I'm not saying hosting the Olympics should be a Montreal-style financial disaster. But... with an increased focus on making profit on the Olympics they have turned into a festival of commercialism as well instead of just celebration of the world together to enjoy sporting events.

I realize that having good tickets for an opening ceremony seat costing $1100 is probably market price. but jesus fucking christ. The average sports lover is not going to be able to see a lot of this.

This was not always the case, I think.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Return to “News & Articles”