Humans sicken me [TRIGGER WARNING: RAPE]

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Box Boy
WINNING

Re: Humans sicken me [TRIGGER WARNING: RAPE]

Postby Box Boy » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:29 pm UTC

scrovak wrote:
Sockmonkey wrote:Were any of the observers female?

Does it really matter all that much?

Not reakky, but I'd be a bit more disgusted if they were.
Signatures are for chumps.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:30 pm UTC

Everything I have seen has only mentioned male participants/spectators.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:48 pm UTC

sophyturtle wrote:Everything I have seen has only mentioned male participants/spectators.

Though, I doubt they would report if any woman were watching; it doesn't make for a good story if women were watching another woman get raped.(well, maybe a good story but now its about how everyone not just a group is cool)
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:31 pm UTC

I'm still not sure how to put into words how I feel about this. Normally, I'm pretty pragmatic and utilitarian with my thoughts on crime and punishment, but in this case I've got some pretty deep urges to the contrary. I'm also deeply, deeply unnerved.

On a somewhat better note, it looks like the victim is doing better physically, at least - she was released from hosptial Wednesday. I imagine she still has a long, long road ahead of her, but she's well enough to be at home, at least. Also, according to this NPR transcript, it looks like they might charge some of the bystanders with aiding and abetting. Which, personally, I consider a good thing. As well, those charged are, apparently, being tried as adults - something I was wondering about, and am glad to hear.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:41 pm UTC

Given the prevalence of rape in our culture. At least, according to most of the sources cited on this board, I'm interested in what this says about how many men are rapists. We have many statistics on the proportion of rape victims, but if we are going to look at the violence against women as a men's issue as well, wouldn't this statistic also be important? Although I imagine it would be much much much harder to obtain.

Also, another issue I am interested in, when people are skeptical of women saying they were raped, how often are the people they tell mutual acquaintances or friends with their rapist? Because I think part of this "Woman are liars WRT rape" idea comes from the fact that it's easier to believe that one of your friends/acquaintances is a horrible liar than another of your friends/acquaintances is a horrible horrible rapist. And that is happens precisely because rape is a horrible crime. It's like trying to convince someone that someone else is a murderer, the most common reaction is going to be skepticism. And, if most people aren't really aware at all of how common rape is, then it seems like skepticism would actually be the logical response. If this is the case, it seems like simply making people AWARE of those statistics would be one of the easiest ways to alleviate that problem. It would certainly be far easier than trying to overturn some monolithic beast called rape culture.
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:52 pm UTC

Marbas wrote:Given the prevalence of rape in our culture. At least, according to most of the sources cited on this board, I'm interested in what this says about how many men are rapists. We have many statistics on the proportion of rape victims, but if we are going to look at the violence against women as a men's issue as well, wouldn't this statistic also be important? Although I imagine it would be much much much harder to obtain.

They are, but there are still such statistics out there. This pdf suggests between 5% and 15%, depending on the study and on precisely what was being measured (i.e. whether completed or attempted, whether rape or sexual assault in general, etc.)

Also, another issue I am interested in, when people are skeptical of women saying they were raped, how often are the people they tell mutual acquaintances or friends with their rapist?

I'm sure that's sometimes the case, but certainly every bit of skepticism at a news story isn't explainable this way, and I've heard plenty of other accounts of someone not being believed about a rape even without ever telling anyone who the rapist was. So I doubt that plays a terribly large role, really.

And, if most people aren't really aware at all of how common rape is, then it seems like skepticism would actually be the logical response.

Well yeah. If you're ignorant, of course you're going to react differently to things than if you know what the hell you're talking about. But the problem is that the sorts of people who are skeptical of individual rape claims tend to doubt the statistics, too. Talk more about the statistics and a lot of them will just talk more about how those are numbers commonly bandied about without being based on any real information, or some such bullshit.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Maduyn

Postby Maduyn » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:08 am UTC

Just to change speeds here.

What do you all think the appropriate actions are in so far as:
Prevention
Prosecution
I was once asked why i am a pacifist.
I simply said "Because I have finally understood what it is to die"

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:39 am UTC

But the problem is that the sorts of people who are skeptical of individual rape claims tend to doubt the statistics, too. Talk more about the statistics and a lot of them will just talk more about how those are numbers commonly bandied about without being based on any real information, or some such bullshit.

Well...that blows sweaty alligator chunks.
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:47 am UTC

Marbas wrote:Given the prevalence of rape in our culture. At least, according to most of the sources cited on this board, I'm interested in what this says about how many men are rapists.
I once read a statistic about potential rapists, in which 30% of male university students (in the US, iirc) answered "Yes" to the question, "Would you rape a woman if you thought you'd get away with it?". And as an illustration of society's fucked up ideas about what rape even is, when the question was changed to, "Would you force a woman to have sex if you thought you'd get away with it?", 59% of respondents answered "Yes".

Disclaimer: I have no citation for this, as I'm not about to google "would you rape a woman" from my office desk. But I'm pretty sure I read it in The Beauty Myth by Naomi Wolf.

TheSkyMovesSideways

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:33 am UTC

Amarantha wrote:I once read a statistic about potential rapists, in which 30% of male university students (in the US, iirc) answered "Yes" to the question, "Would you rape a woman if you thought you'd get away with it?". And as an illustration of society's fucked up ideas about what rape even is, when the question was changed to, "Would you force a woman to have sex if you thought you'd get away with it?", 59% of respondents answered "Yes".

Disclaimer: I have no citation for this, as I'm not about to google "would you rape a woman" from my office desk. But I'm pretty sure I read it in The Beauty Myth by Naomi Wolf.

Google delivers: Briere, J. and Malamuth, N. M., 'Self reported likelihood of sexually aggressive behaviour', Journal of Research in Personality vol 17 (1983)

The questions assessed "likelihood to rape" and "likelihood to use sexual force". (They seem to define "sexual force" as "Forcing a female to do something she really didn't want to do".) 28% of participants indicated some likelihood of both rape and sexual force and 30% indicated some likelihood of force but not rape (plus an additional 2% indicating likelihood of rape but not sexual force, however that would work). So yeah, 60% identified as potential rapists. Pretty worrying.

(The overall goal of the study seems to be more about males' attitudes toward rape (victim blaming, belief of rape claims, etc) compared to their likelihood to commit rape, not so much about perceptions of a difference between rape and sexual force. In fact, it looks like even the researchers considered "sexual force" and rape to be different.)
I had all kinds of plans in case of a zombie attack.
I just figured I'd be on the other side.
~ASW

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:35 pm UTC

Marbas wrote:Given the prevalence of rape in our culture. At least, according to most of the sources cited on this board, I'm interested in what this says about how many men are rapists. We have many statistics on the proportion of rape victims, but if we are going to look at the violence against women as a men's issue as well, wouldn't this statistic also be important? Although I imagine it would be much much much harder to obtain.

Also, another issue I am interested in, when people are skeptical of women saying they were raped, how often are the people they tell mutual acquaintances or friends with their rapist? Because I think part of this "Woman are liars WRT rape" idea comes from the fact that it's easier to believe that one of your friends/acquaintances is a horrible liar than another of your friends/acquaintances is a horrible horrible rapist. And that is happens precisely because rape is a horrible crime. It's like trying to convince someone that someone else is a murderer, the most common reaction is going to be skepticism. And, if most people aren't really aware at all of how common rape is, then it seems like skepticism would actually be the logical response. If this is the case, it seems like simply making people AWARE of those statistics would be one of the easiest ways to alleviate that problem. It would certainly be far easier than trying to overturn some monolithic beast called rape culture.

I very much wish that this were a more common discussion. I was raped in high school and my very best friend refused flat out to even stop being friends with the guy who raped me. It's apparently much easier to imagine that rape is just some unfortunate misunderstanding than a huge societal flaw in which we never hold rapists accountable, on a personal level. Like when I see the article about that sports team what barricaded two women in a room and gang raped them. "this was so out of character!" No, it probably wasn't. It would just be terrible, I guess, if we actually force these people to take responsibility for these actions as one person to another. "hey, you're a rapist, did you know that? I'm going to never speak to you again ok? Great."
It's like the rest of society is the same thing as these spectators. We're watching our friends be raped and brutalized and we're not doing anything about it.

I talk about these things daily with my friends, women and men, but there is a huge divide between the two. Most of my female friends are public survivors of rape or sexual assault. Most of those who talk about their rape admit that it has happened more than once. Not one man I know has ever taken responsibility publicly for such a crime, even long after the statute of limitations is past.* I feel odd having these conversations, because i always get this mental image in my head where I'm on a boat, and everyone I know is standing in the middle. I ask all the women who will admit to having been raped to stand on the port side of the boat, and it begins to list to port... and if I say then, "all men who have raped or sexually assaulted or forced a woman move to starboard" and nobody moves. Maybe one person.
So the port side of the boat is underwater and the women are drowning. And all the men are standing in the middle saying, "hey, how come nobody ever taught you how to swim?"

*I don't think I actually have friends who would have to admit to this now, but this is undoubtedly self selection, now that I am a young professional person of 28. Self selection of friends who maybe were/weren't rapists in say, High School and College? Not quite as great, I assure you. I'm 100% sure at least two close friends I went to high school with that didn't rape *me* are in fact rapists, upon thinking about the way they acted in retrospect. I try not to think about the others, but from what I remember... I'm really glad I was shunned by most people in high school. But if someone said to me 'your friend _____ is a rapist' I would probably be surprised, but not entirely skeptical.

**Edited twice cause I"m having problems with words this morning.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:31 am UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:I feel odd having these conversations, because i always get this mental image in my head where I'm on a boat, and everyone I know is standing in the middle. I ask all the women who will admit to having been raped to stand on the port side of the boat, and it begins to list to port... and if I say then, "all men who have raped or sexually assaulted or forced a woman move to starboard" and nobody moves. Maybe one person.
So the port side of the boat is underwater and the women are drowning. And all the men are standing in the middle saying, "hey, how come nobody ever taught you how to swim?"

Oooooohhhh. NOW I get the cruise ship thing.

Owijad
1000 posts and still no title

Postby Owijad » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:35 am UTC

I should mention that observer inaction in the face of blatant brutality is a well documented psychological phenomenon, that provokes a massive "what's wrong with humans" every time it hits the news.

The theory is that when a single person encounters an emergency situation, they have to assess the problem, make a decision, and act. But when three people encounter the situation, they pay as much attention to each other as to the crisis, and base their decisions as much upon each other as upon the emergency. As they look around, the other people present are pretty laid back, because they're busy looking at the people around them rather than acting. Each individually concludes that the others' inaction is evidence of non-crisis. This is compounded by deferment of responsibility, a la "There are three people here, why do I have to be the one to deal with this? Both of them have probably called the cops already."

The evidence indicates that this glitch in human rationality gives us a responsibility in potential crises. Upon witnessing a suspect situation, we have to process, cognitively, if something bears the symptoms of an emergency, and then process, cognitively, how we ought to respond to those symptoms. The gut just isn't good enough. As a victim in a crisis, the best way to provoke a crowd is to make it undeniable that the situation is in fact an emergency, despite how witnesses are behaving (say, by loudly stating it as such), and then to point out a single person whose responsibility it is to take action.

Before throwing stones at the bystanders, it's important to note that (by my read through), no one has brought this fact up in the thread. If you didn't know this circumstance happens with consistent regularity in this type of environment, how were they supposed to?

Cultural attitudes towards rape don't help the situation a lick, but this happens every day with murder, muggings, strokes, bullies, and beatings.
And if you win you get this shiny fiddle made of gold,
But if you lose, the devil gets your sould!

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:57 am UTC

Spoiler:
Owijad wrote:I should mention that observer inaction in the face of blatant brutality is a well documented psychological phenomenon, that provokes a massive "what's wrong with humans" every time it hits the news.

The theory is that when a single person encounters an emergency situation, they have to assess the problem, make a decision, and act. But when three people encounter the situation, they pay as much attention to each other as to the crisis, and base their decisions as much upon each other as upon the emergency. As they look around, the other people present are pretty laid back, because they're busy looking at the people around them rather than acting. Each individually concludes that the others' inaction is evidence of non-crisis. This is compounded by deferment of responsibility, a la "There are three people here, why do I have to be the one to deal with this? Both of them have probably called the cops already."

The evidence indicates that this glitch in human rationality gives us a responsibility in potential crises. Upon witnessing a suspect situation, we have to process, cognitively, if something bears the symptoms of an emergency, and then process, cognitively, how we ought to respond to those symptoms. The gut just isn't good enough. As a victim in a crisis, the best way to provoke a crowd is to make it undeniable that the situation is in fact an emergency, despite how witnesses are behaving (say, by loudly stating it as such), and then to point out a single person whose responsibility it is to take action.

Before throwing stones at the bystanders, it's important to note that (by my read through), no one has brought this fact up in the thread. If you didn't know this circumstance happens with consistent regularity in this type of environment, how were they supposed to?

Cultural attitudes towards rape don't help the situation a lick, but this happens every day with murder, muggings, strokes, bullies, and beatings.

Honestly, that doesn't change my opinion of the situation. I don't say murderers aren't that bad because there are a lot of them.

I do hate to sound like an ass about that, but its my genuine thought on the matter. Maybe it is because I am worried I would do the same thing and want to sound self righteous, but I refuse to justify people being cowards.
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:39 pm UTC

mmmcannibalism wrote:I refuse to justify people being cowards.

owijad's post didn't justify them being cowards, it just explained it. It explained that someone doesn't have to be an obviously horrible malicious person to stand idly by while something terrible happens, because *everyone's* mind tends to work that same way.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:26 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
mmmcannibalism wrote:I refuse to justify people being cowards.

owijad's post didn't justify them being cowards, it just explained it. It explained that someone doesn't have to be an obviously horrible malicious person to stand idly by while something terrible happens, because *everyone's* mind tends to work that same way.

It was in response to
Spoiler:

Which suggests that we shouldn't critizice them for not doing anything just because its "normal".

General_Norris

Postby General_Norris » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:43 pm UTC

There has been a similar case recently in Spain. Sad, sad thing.

@Owijad

I have seen this happen quite a lot with fire alarms. It always sickened me when the teacher refused to stop teaching because there might be a fire. I tell you, it will happen some day and everyone at my old school will die. And there's nothing worse than being laughed at because you were the only one who stood up.

Owijad
1000 posts and still no title

Postby Owijad » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:11 am UTC

mmmcannibalism wrote:It was in response to
Spoiler:

Which suggests that we shouldn't critizice them for not doing anything just because it's "normal".

That makes sense. Really though, my point is that while their actions were unacceptable, we get nothing out of vilifying those involved. They weren't being awful humans, they were just being humans. Pointing them out as some special brand of subhuman scum divorces them from ourselves in a way which is precisely the opposite of helpful.
And if you win you get this shiny fiddle made of gold,
But if you lose, the devil gets your sould!

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:58 am UTC

So, they're humans. We can acknowledge that. We can also acknowledge that they committed reprehensible scumsucking horrific actions. Even if this phenomenon happens repeatedly all the time, so what? That doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to behave differently or change the culture in which people invite other people to a gangrape like it's some frakking party.
Last edited by podbaydoor on Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:01 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:58 am UTC

Spoiler:
Owijad wrote:
mmmcannibalism wrote:It was in response to
[spoiler]

Which suggests that we shouldn't critizice them for not doing anything just because it's "normal".

That makes sense. Really though, my point is that while their actions were unacceptable, we get nothing out of vilifying those involved. They weren't being awful humans, they were just being humans. Pointing them out as some special brand of subhuman scum divorces them from ourselves in a way which is precisely the opposite of helpful.
[/spoiler]

Agreed, if I said something that implied I was villifying the bystanders my bad. My only point was that I don't consider it acceptable just because other people did the same wrong thing.

Return to “News & Articles”