Student arrested for making a map of his school

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Therum

Student arrested for making a map of his school

Postby Therum » Thu May 03, 2007 1:44 am UTC

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Thu May 03, 2007 1:56 am UTC

That's pretty ridiculous if the only reason they arrested him was the map.
i hurd u liek mudkips???

Owijad
1000 posts and still no title

Postby Owijad » Thu May 03, 2007 2:02 am UTC

This belongs in news, methinks.

(He was chinese. Go figure.)
And if you win you get this shiny fiddle made of gold,
But if you lose, the devil gets your sould!

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Thu May 03, 2007 2:10 am UTC

Unbelievable. Though wasn't there a legend that the Columbine shooters made Doom maps of the school?

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Thu May 03, 2007 2:16 am UTC

So John Romero was responsible for Columbine.

The Cosmic Fool

Postby The Cosmic Fool » Thu May 03, 2007 6:29 am UTC

Yeah, the Columbine shooters did make levels for Doom, but they weren't of the school. They're called the Harris levels I believe and are on the net somewhere.
"The future is dark, the present burdensome. Only the past, dead and buried, bears contemplation."

Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Phenriz » Thu May 03, 2007 3:02 pm UTC

what a joke, time to pull the quake 3 map i made of my school, before the gestappo comes to get me.
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Fri May 04, 2007 3:54 pm UTC

I know, I've an idea: civil disobedience.

If a large number of people can be persuaded to put their names underneath a map of their school, and then allow authorities to see it, then see what happens.

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Fri May 04, 2007 4:36 pm UTC

I guess Bagels is In trouble then.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri May 04, 2007 5:47 pm UTC

The entire Wolverine Soft team at the University of Michigan is also in deep trouble, I would guess, for making not just one, but two roleplaying games based on the university's campus...
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Fri May 04, 2007 10:26 pm UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:So John Romero was responsible for Columbine.

John Romero was responsible for awesome. I remember reading an interview with him on computerandvideogames.com a longggg time ago about creating Doom. Ever since then he has had a special place in my heart.

Also, my highschool physics teacher, his brother used to make custom maps for RTCW and I believe made one for our highschool (I didn't play it that much).
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:I still remember the time when Gordon left. I still wake up in the middle of the night crying and screaming his name.
I do that too, but for an entirely different reason.
RealGrouchy wrote:
Gordon wrote:How long have I been asleep?!
Our daughter is in high school now.

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Sat May 05, 2007 12:01 am UTC

There was a Duke Nukem 3D map of my high school. The headmaster's office has strippers in it, and the staff room had a big cache of RPG ammo. The best camping spot was the elevators by the staff room. It was fun.

Owijad

Postby Owijad » Sat May 05, 2007 12:18 am UTC

Okay, we gotta start (or participate in, if it's been started) an international show of solidarity. I say everyone who knows how to map should make a map (if you haven't already, jesus) of their high school and release it in a map pack. Anyone with me?

The big question is, for what game?
Last edited by Owijad on Sat May 05, 2007 2:00 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Fernanthonies

Postby Fernanthonies » Sat May 05, 2007 12:25 am UTC

what if you've been out of high school for 5+ years?

and this reminds me of the time when i was a freshman in college, my stepdad is the deputy chief of police and they put together a training scenario for their officers just in case a school shooting ever did happen. basically they had all their weekday duty officers out on patrol on a saturday afternoon . They didnt know what for exactly, only that there was supposed to be some sort of training exercise.

So they put out a call that there was a shooting at the high school, and the range master was at the entrance to the school so that when any cops showed up, he would take their real gun and give them a replica. The shooter, of course, was yours truly. I got to run around with a replica AR-15 assult rifle while the tactical response team chased me down, ending in my holding hostages in a class room and finally getting tackled by one of the biggest officers on the force.

I gotta say though, i was on an upstairs balcony watching the main entrance when they came in, and i gotta say, seeing 10 cops with assault rifles coming through a door all serious like almost made me shit a brick.
"Set your gearshift for the high gear of your soul!"

cmacis

Postby cmacis » Sat May 05, 2007 12:30 am UTC

You see here the police can shoot you (to stop you or kill as they see the need) even if you're carrying a replica. Though, as the deputy's offspring they might have recognised you if it wasn't pointed out that you were the training exercise.
li te'o te'a vei pai pi'i ka'o ve'o su'i pa du li no
Mathematician is a function mapping tea onto theorems. Sadly this function is irreversible.
QED is Latin for small empty box.
Ceci n’est pas une [s]pipe[/s] signature.

Fernanthonies

Postby Fernanthonies » Sat May 05, 2007 12:34 am UTC

by the time they got to the school, they knew that it was a training deal, and no one except the higher ups had real weapons while inside the school.
"Set your gearshift for the high gear of your soul!"

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Sat May 05, 2007 12:56 am UTC

The only time I've seen cops with guns is overseas, except for one time in an airport... 'course they all have them (locked pretty damn securely I'd imagine) in their cars if they need them.

Also, do we get exclude from the national show of solidarity if we're not from your nation? :P

Owijad

Postby Owijad » Sat May 05, 2007 2:01 am UTC

Owijad wrote:Okay, we gotta start (or participate in, if it's been started) an international show of solidarity. I say everyone who knows how to map should make a map (if you haven't already, jesus) of their high school and release it in a map pack. Anyone with me?

The big question is, for what game?

There ya go.

Messiah

Postby Messiah » Sat May 05, 2007 6:38 am UTC

Ridiculous. As if you don't already walk around school/college/work going "Hmm, I could snipe from there, set up a bottleneck and machine gun from there, I could....." already. Or am I just a freak?

Speaking of cops with guns, anybody else get a slight urge to elbow the cop and pull his gun when you pass one?

Maybe I watch too many action movies....And play too many video games. Oh well. Off to play San Andreas. Gonna kill me some hookers.
"The possession of anything begins in the mind" - Bruce Lee

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Sat May 05, 2007 6:59 am UTC

Messiah wrote:Speaking of cops with guns, anybody else get a slight urge to elbow the cop and pull his gun when you pass one?

The one time I was close to a cop with a gun was when I was overseas in Melbourne and a couple of cops came onto the tram/bus/thing and they both had these guns in holsters on their belts... it really made me feel a lot lesss safe, because I could so imagine someone (i.e. me :) just slipping the guns out...

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sat May 05, 2007 7:28 am UTC

You forget Victoria Police's motto: shoot first...uh, well, that's it really.

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Sat May 05, 2007 10:57 am UTC

My school is set up so that the rooms with all the chemicals are in, are on a balcony that allows things to be dropped down onto people coming in from the main entrance, without being seen.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat May 05, 2007 4:58 pm UTC

Doom being the first game I know of with very good user-map support... everyone within the age group of high school who was making Doom maps made a map of their school. Everyone. I remember way back in the Geocities days of the internet, when blinking text roamed the plains and devoured everything in it's path, you couldn't go to a Doom map site without having to wade through the "Sheboigan High + Gym" maps.

Mapping out a school in a game is basically the same as a young author writing a short story about a young person of about the same age with a similar description, same likes, dislikes, etc as a literal interpretation of "Write what you know".. or in this case, "Map what you know"

The average 14-18 year old has no idea how precisely an office building is laid out. Oh, sure, there's a general idea, but nothing concrete. Not in the same way that they know every inch of their high school.

It's the mapmaker's version of a Mary Sue. Everyone's guilty of it, but most people try not to show it off too much, if they can help it.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jach

Postby Jach » Sat May 05, 2007 9:15 pm UTC

Really stupid, and I can almost see it being so close to the Virginia stuff, but it's hard to see why they would freak out about something so insignificant. What's next, the city of San Andreas will sue Grand Theft Auto for using their city in a violent game?

Arkohn

Postby Arkohn » Sun May 06, 2007 1:36 am UTC

"Fools are always touting the freedom of speech defense when someone does something stupid... what happened to having common sense and tact? Was it really a good idea to make a map of his school RIGHT after a school shooting? The kid's an idiot, and he got what he deserved." - One of the comments from that blog

It was common sense for that kid to not be in the park at midnight, if he gets murdered, it's his own damn fault. :roll:

Kizor

Postby Kizor » Sun May 06, 2007 1:57 am UTC

Not to mention that he made the map BEFORE the massacre - a friend's parent found out the day after, and freaked out.

It should be quite obvious by now that the guy isn't about to go Columbine on anyone; allowing him to the graduation ceremony would be a slight save of face. Anything else is wringing hands and saying "Well, we're pretty sure that he's not going to kill anyone..."

UmbrageOfSnow
Not Fully Human

Postby UmbrageOfSnow » Sun May 13, 2007 5:47 am UTC

I wasn't going to touch this one at all, but reading the comments on the blog linked to by the original link just made me so mad I had to say something. Glad to see when I came back here that all of you seem quite sane, unlike the Texans that posted. And even one or two of the people who think this was unreasonable said the punishment was "too harsh" or that he should be punished somehow, just not this much!

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE. No crime has been committed, the kid did nothing the least bit wrong, any discipline at all for making a map is wrong. He should lawyer up and sue the school, but probably doesn't want the publicity.

I'm definitely in on this solidarity thing, I'll map both my old high school and my current college if I find the time, I'll attach my name to it, and I'll attach it to your pack of them if you name the game and I can get it. I'd like to see someone make an issue out of this, we haven't legally lost Freedom of Speech because of 9/11 or Virginia Tech.

Maybe Berge and I should map out our college and distribute free CDs of it over campus to freak the administration out.
yellie wrote:Confession: I just had to look up the word ubiquitous because I kept seeing it all over the place and had no idea what it meant.

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Sun May 13, 2007 11:32 pm UTC

I believe a couple swedes have something to say about this
I didn't get it at the time, but now it's all becoming clear.
You've just lost twenty dollars and my self respect.

Rat wrote: so i sprinted back down this hill like a fucking mountain goat

Bran

Postby Bran » Mon May 14, 2007 1:13 am UTC

Wow. Yet another total overreaction in the wake of a "terroristic" attack.

Return to “News & Articles”