NBA Thread - with 99.9999% less posters

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

NBA Thread - with 99.9999% less posters

Postby Ixtellor » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:44 pm UTC

http://www.nba.com/games/20100112/LALSA ... 0020900556

LAKERS LOSE to the Spurs of Doom!!!!!!!!

Very interesting season so far.
West Rules, East Drools... whats up with the East now? 5 winning teams?

I hope my Spurs turn it on, but the Cavs, Lakers and Celtics look brutal.

Ixtellor - Now that the football season is almost over I can focus on B BAll.
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

Indon

Re: NBA Thread - with 99.9999% less posters

Postby Indon » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:23 pm UTC

Yeah, I love sportsball! The local sportsball team scored so many points last game, it was crazy!
So, I like talking. So if you want to talk about something with me, feel free to send me a PM.

My blog, now rarely updated.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:48 pm UTC

Indon wrote:Yeah, I love sportsball! The local sportsball team scored so many points last game, it was crazy!

Your location says Alabama... did you watch the National Championship? I thought 'your' (assuming) team did great and picked them to win the game and cover the spread.

This reminds me of the "Cars are full of Science" thread.
Where there are some cool societal factors that create some kind of headbutting between science/math peeps and sports fanaticism.

I guess I am actually the odd duck, because I love cars(read Mustangs), sports, science, education,building computers, playing video games, literature, politics, and XKCD. (oh and my Wife!)

Ixtellor - odd man out :cry:

Phen

Postby Phen » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:29 am UTC

Indon wrote:Yeah, I love sportsball! The local sportsball team scored so many points last game, it was crazy!

<3
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:24 am UTC

Phen wrote:

<3

Here, have some of my Internets.

Chobbes

Postby Chobbes » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:33 am UTC

Argh...a basketball thread shouldn't only have 5 replies...

Longtime Laker hater right here.

Mavs fan since JKidd took the reins.

I'm watching this Laker team though...unless the Mavs/Cavs/Celtics/Magic make a trade to bring in a big piece...ARGH I hate it when LA wins.
The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:44 am UTC

I default to cheering for the Spurs because they seem like a pretty classy team, and I'm from Texas. When the Spurs play the Mavericks, I root for the Mavs because I'm from the DFW area. Otherwise, it's the Spurs. Other-otherwise, I don't really care about sports, unless some hot athlete shows up in a ravishingly attractive magazine photoshoot, or something.

/promotes female stereotypes
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:09 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:I default to cheering for the Spurs because they seem like a pretty classy team,

O rly?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFvk4qHkT10 (just for a giggle, start typing "bruce bowen" into youtube and see what it suggests)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBxc-b6wlkY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEef1T_lqwA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnSxGriD6GA
http://theassociation.blogs.com/the_association/2007/05/robert_horry_sa.html
http://basketbawful.blogspot.com/2008/04/word-of-day-duncan-face.html (my sister does a great Duncan face btw)

Yes I am a bitter Suns fan, but I don't think NBA fans outside of Texas have thought of The Spurs as "classy" for some time now.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:29 am UTC

Ohhhh, that thing. I meant more in terms of the players' personal lives. Then again, I haven't kept up on the news on that front since 2007 either, so that may well have changed. I still like Ginobili for purely superficial reasons.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Lounge

Postby Lounge » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:45 pm UTC

I liked the Spurs back when the Admiral still played. (Awhile ago.)

Duncan looks like the world is going to explode whenever a foul is called against him.

I'm rooting for Boston this year because I'm a fan of Garnett, and I have no idea what the Timberwolves have decided to do with their team. Even if they get a high draft pick after this year I'm sure they'll draft a third point guard.
Dibley wrote:"This plot makes no sense! That's not really a lion, it's a guy in a lion suit!"

Telchar
That's Admiral 'The Hulk' Ackbar, to you sir

Postby Telchar » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:59 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Ginobili

RAAAAAGGGEEEE!!!!!

....Suns fan here.
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.

Indon

Postby Indon » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:37 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:Your location says Alabama... did you watch the National Championship? I thought 'your' (assuming) team did great and picked them to win the game and cover the spread.

I'll be honest, pretty much the entire point of my post, other than to get some sympathy bumpage going on for a rare sports topic, was for the Dresden Codak reference, which two people seem to have gotten.
So, I like talking. So if you want to talk about something with me, feel free to send me a PM.

My blog, now rarely updated.

tpow

Postby tpow » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:28 pm UTC

Personally, NCAA basketball has always been more appealing to me than the NBA. It's less "give me da ball" and more team oriented. But I still enjoy a game now and then.
Teams I like to see do well- the hornets, bucks, suns, celtics, thunder, and bulls.
Teams I like to see lose- the lakers, spurs, mavs, and kings.

Odd duck here too. my past hobbies have included football, speech and debate, pole vaulting/high jumping, writing and editing for my school's newspaper, bowling, academic team, basketball, and science bowl team. I have held jobs at a baseball stadium, a construction supply company, a logistics company, and interned at an astrophysics lab.
"We should take harpoons!"
"And dynamite!"
"Don't you think that is going a bit over-board..."
"These aren't regular sharks..."

Garm

Postby Garm » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:43 pm UTC

Basketball is boring. During the vast majority of the game no single basket is statistically meaningful. The last three minutes of a close game take thirty minutes or more to play (close being 12 or fewer points) and all other games amount to blow-outs where one team gives up. The effect that one player can have on a game is disproportionate to pretty much all other team sports. The refs are basically totally corrupt (see Tim Donaghy's book) and David Stern doesn't really care. According to a "Moneyball" type statistical analysis of the NBA the best player in the pro game is Shane Battier. Is there anything I missed?
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

Telchar

Postby Telchar » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:08 am UTC

Garm wrote:The effect that one player can have on a game is disproportionate to pretty much all other team sports.

Unless you don't consider baseball a team sport, something that I might agree with but is uncommon, then I'd have to call you out on this. I'd even say there are other similar sports (Cricket comes to mind because of it's similarity, and Soccer/Hockey due to the low scoring nature) which are worse. I could also point to 10 players in the NFL who have inordinate amounts of impact on their games (I'm looking at YOU Jake Delhomme).
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.

jakovasaur

Postby jakovasaur » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:23 am UTC

Garm wrote:Basketball is boring. During the vast majority of the game no single basket is statistically meaningful. The last three minutes of a close game take thirty minutes or more to play (close being 12 or fewer points) and all other games amount to blow-outs where one team gives up. The effect that one player can have on a game is disproportionate to pretty much all other team sports. The refs are basically totally corrupt (see Tim Donaghy's book) and David Stern doesn't really care. According to a "Moneyball" type statistical analysis of the NBA the best player in the pro game is Shane Battier. Is there anything I missed?

The effect one player can have on the game is THE BEST PART of the NBA. Watching Kobe or Lebron (or Jordan in his prime) decide to exert their will over everyone else on the court is one of my favorite parts of sports. The refs are bad, but no more so than other sports (facemask on Aaron Rodgers the other night is proof of that). And there are many different statistical methods, but none of them will say Shane Battier is the best player in the game. In fact, Battier is one of the players whose contributions to the game "don't show up in the box score", and as such, is often underrepresented by some statistical analysis. Those are all the things you have missed.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:49 pm UTC

Wow thanks for all the thread support.

Few things:
folkhero wrote:Yes I am a bitter Suns fan, but I don't think NBA fans outside of Texas have thought of The Spurs as "classy" for some time now.

I think he was talking about off the court.
Additionally, we have had 2 dirty players in the last 15 years.
Bruce Bowen was kind of dirty - but lots of people chalk it up to a super aggressive man up Defense.
Danny Ferry was always considered a dirty player and we hade him for several years.
Robert Horry was never considered a dirty player, but his hip check of the golden canadian was a dirty move. Although I think Nash milked it.

Off the Court nearly ever Spur is a married family man. They don't get drunk, go to clubs, womanize, use guns, use drugs etc. They don't like 18 year old kids who just hit the lottery. They act like professionals.
David Robinson is the most righteous man to ever play in the NBA. He donanted $50million dollar to help start a school for underprivledged youth and he is envolved into the day to day operations of the school. He doesn't just write checks then forget about it.

Garm wrote:The effect that one player can have on a game is disproportionate to pretty much all other team sports.

Nah. There are tons of examples where a team got a GOD like player and was unable to capitalize. You can't win without a solid team. Kobe learned this hard way. When he was being a ballhog, his team suffered. Once he started getting his team involved and let them contribute more, they became the scary thing they are today.

Or look at Baseball. A pitcher can make or break a single game. In football the QB. Look at the performance of teams when their Star QB goes down. (See Patriots last year)

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:27 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:I think he was talking about off the court.
Bruce Bowen was kind of dirty - but lots of people chalk it up to a super aggressive man up Defense.
Danny Ferry was always considered a dirty player and we hade him for several years.
Robert Horry was never considered a dirty player, but his hip check of the golden canadian was a dirty move. Although I think Nash milked it.

Off the Court nearly ever Spur is a married family man. They don't get drunk, go to clubs, womanize, use guns, use drugs etc. They don't like 18 year old kids who just hit the lottery. They act like professionals.
David Robinson is the most righteous man to ever play in the NBA. He donanted $50million dollar to help start a school for underprivledged youth and he is envolved into the day to day operations of the school. He doesn't just write checks then forget about it.

So, Horry gets frustrated and takes a cheap shot on Nash. Not a classy move, but such things happen in the heat of competition. That cheap shot unintentionally gives the Spurs a huge advantage when Stoudemire and Diaw get suspended. Instead of keeping his damn mouth shut, Horry accused Nash of flopping in a tremendous act of affably evil victim blaming.

Kicking your leg out under a jump shooter isn't super-aggressive defense, it's intimidation based on the threat of injury. It's not a legitimate defensive move it's just dirty and dangerous. Kicking a guy with a history of knee problems in the back of the ankle isn't man up defense. He's a very nice guy off the court, and people that have meet him seem to love him, but that's some serious Dorian Gray shit. At least he's gone now and has been replaced with Jefferson who seems like a good guy.

Oberto was a dirty player, just not as important to the team as Ferry or Bowen. Ginobili is one of the most notorious floppers in the game. I have nothing but respect for Robinson, but how long has it been since he's retired?

On a completely different topic, my favorite random moment in NBA history:
Walter Herrmann, a blond, Aryan-looking, South American with a Germanic last name is traded for Nazr Mohammed who's first name is pronounced "Nazi." (the z making the English "z" sound, not the German "ts")

jakovasaur

Postby jakovasaur » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:55 pm UTC

folkhero wrote:
Ixtellor wrote:I think he was talking about off the court.

So, Horry gets frustrated and takes a cheap shot on Nash. Not a classy move, but such things happen in the heat of competition. That cheap shot unintentionally gives the Spurs a huge advantage when Stoudemire and Diaw get suspended. Instead of keeping his damn mouth shut, Horry accused Nash of flopping in a tremendous act of affably evil victim blaming.

Kicking your leg out under a jump shooter isn't super-aggressive defense, it's intimidation based on the threat of injury. It's not a legitimate defensive move it's just dirty and dangerous. Kicking a guy with a history of knee problems in the back of the ankle isn't man up defense. He's a very nice guy off the court, and people that have meet him seem to love him, but that's some serious Dorian Gray shit. At least he's gone now and has been replaced with Jefferson who seems like a good guy.

Oberto was a dirty player, just not as important to the team as Ferry or Bowen. Ginobili is one of the most notorious floppers in the game. I have nothing but respect for Robinson, but how long has it been since he's retired?

On a completely different topic, my favorite random moment in NBA history:
Walter Herrmann, a blond, Aryan-looking, South American with a Germanic last name is traded for Nazr Mohammed who's first name is pronounced "Nazi." (the z making the English "z" sound, not the German "ts")

I think you and I would get along swimmingly as basketball fans. Yeah, Horry's was a cheap shot, but the rules are the rules. You can't leave the bench! Protest Stern, not Horry.

I also agree with the Bruce Bowen bit, and the Spurs commentary in general. Tim Duncan never gets any shit from announcers for it, but he is the whiniest player in the league. Also, Tony Parker has a French rap video.

Philwelch

Postby Philwelch » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:58 pm UTC

tpow wrote:Odd duck here too. my past hobbies have included football, speech and debate, pole vaulting/high jumping, writing and editing for my school's newspaper, bowling, academic team, basketball, and science bowl team. I have held jobs at a baseball stadium, a construction supply company, a logistics company, and interned at an astrophysics lab.

...what is this, a college application essay? Or maybe your resume?

Telchar wrote:

Unless you don't consider baseball a team sport, something that I might agree with but is uncommon, then I'd have to call you out on this. I'd even say there are other similar sports (Cricket comes to mind because of it's similarity, and Soccer/Hockey due to the low scoring nature) which are worse. I could also point to 10 players in the NFL who have inordinate amounts of impact on their games (I'm looking at YOU Jake Delhomme).

The thing about soccer is that a single player can't reliably improve a team's outcome. Simply passing and advancing through the midfield can be a challenge. You need about 3 good plays from different people to set up a goal in most cases. That's why you don't see players like Beckham or Ljungberg lighting up against MLS opposition all that often.

In the NFL, the best way to have inordinate amounts of impact is to screw up. (I'm looking at you, Brett Favre.) More on this in a bit.

Ixtellor wrote:Or look at Baseball. A pitcher can make or break a single game. In football the QB. Look at the performance of teams when their Star QB goes down. (See Patriots last year)

The role of the QB and RB is vastly overrated. How many franchises have you seen where they seem to always have a good running game, no matter who's carrying the ball? How many starting running backs have flopped when they lose their blocking players? The mid-00's Seahawks and Packers for instance--Shaun Alexander was a mediocre back at best who fell down the first time he was hit and didn't have great moves, but Mack Strong and the Seahawks line blocked him to an MVP. The Packers got the job done with Ahman Green, Najeh Davenport, Tony Fisher, Samkon Gado...but only when William Henderson was a rock at FB and the line was great.

There is occasionally a running back who achieves greatness instead of mere goodness--someone like Barry Sanders or Adrian Peterson--but in most cases, a running game is dictated by the blocking, not the running back.

The QB has more impact, but largely because he can single-handedly screw up permanently. (So can the RB if he is a fumble machine, but that's more rare.) But...look at Aaron Rodgers at the beginning of this season. He could have been the best QB in the league for all we knew, but if you have to run around and get sacked that much we'll never know, and in the meantime, that 40 year old guy in the next state with all the crutches in the world (a truly great running back, a good line, an effective defense) has a better season.

Back to hoops--the Spurs play a dull name, punctuated by Tim Duncan staring in disbelief every time he gets called on a foul. As an old Sonics fan from the days of Gary Payton though, I do have to respect Bowen's approach to defense.
Fascism: If you're not with us you're against us.
Leftism: If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

Perfection is an unattainable goal.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:16 pm UTC

Garm wrote: According to a "Moneyball" type statistical analysis of the NBA the best player in the pro game is Shane Battier.

I'm not sure where that info came from, but if it's true, what's wrong with that? Battier isn't a big name and he doesn't fill up the box score with gaudy stats, in many ways he is an anti-star. He is extremely intelligent when it comes to the game of basketball, he uses that intelligence to help his team be more efficient, and sabotage the efficiency of the other team. He makes the play that makes the team better instead of the play that makes him look better. When he went to Houston from Memphis, Memphis got bad really quickly and Houston got quite a bit better despite almost constant injuries by their two star players. I don't particularly like the guy, but after reading this* column, I respect the hell out of him.

*It's a long column, but definitely worth reading if you're an NBA fan.

jakovasaur

Postby jakovasaur » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:28 pm UTC

folkhero wrote:
Garm wrote: According to a "Moneyball" type statistical analysis of the NBA the best player in the pro game is Shane Battier.

I'm not sure where that info came from, but if it's true, what's wrong with that? Battier isn't a big name and he doesn't fill up the box score with gaudy stats, in many ways he is an anti-star. He is extremely intelligent when it comes to the game of basketball, he uses that intelligence to help his team be more efficient, and sabotage the efficiency of the other team. He makes the play that makes the team better instead of the play that makes him look better. When he went to Houston from Memphis, Memphis got bad really quickly and Houston got quite a bit better despite almost constant injuries by their two star players. I don't particularly like the guy, but after reading this* column, I respect the hell out of him.

*It's a long column, but definitely worth reading if you're an NBA fan.

It's just not true. He certainly scores well on certain statistics like win-shares (but never #1), but in things like PER, he does very poorly. This is consistent with everyone's perception of him, which is a "glue" guy who does the right things and helps his team win, but rarely puts up big numbers.

A very interesting (to me anyways) statistical issue is raised by Henry Abbott in this column about Kevin Durant last year. Everyone acknowledges that he has elite, upper-echelon talent, but had by far the worst +/- ratio in the league last year. How could he be that good, and yet hurt his team when he is on the floor? This year, however, he has made one of the biggest leaps ever in that statistic.

Garm

Postby Garm » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:55 pm UTC

Telchar wrote:

Baseball is a team sport. It's a very unique in that the majority of the time you can't score by yourself, you require a teammate to bring you in. It's just a team sport that happens to revolve around what many people view as a one on one duel (pitcher vs. batter). Sure a pitcher can pitch a perfect game, but that's only happened 16 times in the last 110 years. Likewise, a batter might hit the homerun that wins the game. In that case you need to factor in the performance of all his teammates (particularly the pitcher if it ends a 1-0 game) that brought the team to the point where the homerun could be hit to win the game.

Soccer is, as someone already mentioned, not a sport where one player can dominate. Sure there are lots of youtube videos of Kaka slashing past defenders but how many goals does he really score after making those runs? Not many. Going coast-to-coast isn't something that's in a soccer player's lexicon. It just doesn't happen enough to merit a phrase. The reason that Barca just won every club medal there is to win isn't because they have Messi. It's because they have Messi and Ibrahimovic and Xavi and Dani Alves and Toure and Henry (and everyone else) and they pass beautifully. One goal last season was scored after 30 something good passes. That's absurd. That's team work. That's why they're the best club in the world.

Meanwhile in basketball, Carmelo Anthony, a player who has never lived up to his potential, is averaging 29.8 points this season, 27% of his team's nightly scoring average. Over in Laker-land Kobe also accounts for about 27% of his teams points and LeBron scores almost 30% of the Cavs nightly total. That night in, night out, a disproportionate impact by one person, especially considering that most teams have 8+ players averaging 10 or more minutes a game.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/magazine/15Battier-t.html?_r=1&hp

This is a link about how Shane Battier is totally the Moneyball player of the NBA.

As for the refs... NBA refs aren't just bad, they're corrupt.

http://deadspin.com/5392067/excerpts-from-the-book-the-nba-doesnt-want-you-to-read

And this just in, I'd rather watch NFL Football (still boring) than Basketball even though only about 6% of each broadcast is action.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704281204575002852055561406.html
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

Occams_Razor

Postby Occams_Razor » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:43 pm UTC

Could any of you more knowledgeable fellows tell an interested foreigner how Toronto are looking this year/season?

It's not good is it... it never is. :(

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:22 am UTC

Garm wrote:
Meanwhile in basketball, Carmelo Anthony, a player who has never lived up to his potential, is averaging 29.8 points this season, 27% of his team's nightly scoring average. Over in Laker-land Kobe also accounts for about 27% of his teams points and LeBron scores almost 30% of the Cavs nightly total. That night in, night out, a disproportionate impact by one person, especially considering that most teams have 8+ players averaging 10 or more minutes a game.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/magazine/15Battier-t.html?_r=1&hp

This is a link about how Shane Battier is totally the Moneyball player of the NBA.

As for the refs... NBA refs aren't just bad, they're corrupt.

http://deadspin.com/5392067/excerpts-from-the-book-the-nba-doesnt-want-you-to-read

Did you even read the Battier article? It said that he was one of the most underrated players, not that that he was one of the best, even using the "moneyball' analysis. I still don't understand why you think it's a bad thing that a smart, team-first player who is unimpressive to casual fans is actually very good and helps his team win.

I won't go too far to defend the NBA refs, but an ex-ref who got kicked out for cheating because he got in gambling debts might not be the most credible source, especially when he has a strong incentive to make the book he's selling more exciting or controversial.

Sure, top scorers score a lot of points, but point alone aren't everything, as the Battier article points out in detail (seriously, did you read the whole thing?) Without a strong team, a great scorer is generally a high volume, low percentage scorer and the team will not do well. The Lakers were middling before they got Gasol, same with Denver before they got Billups and the Cavs have been struggling for years to get LeBron a good supporting cast. Championship level teams are almost never about just one player, even when the 76er's were elite with Iverson and a bunch of other guys, they were good because the 'other guys' were gritty defenders and good rebounders. Falling into the trap of only valuing scoring in the NBA, ignoring all the other statistics and intangibles makes about as much sense as saying that placekicker is the most important position in the NFL because all the top scorers are placekickers.

jakovasaur

Postby jakovasaur » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:28 am UTC

Redacted
Last edited by jakovasaur on Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:23 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Occams_Razor

Postby Occams_Razor » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:52 am UTC

*sigh* Another year of mediocrity for my North American sports teams.

I don't think I've seen a good season from the raptors or the blue jays since I began my vague intrest in American sports.

Still at least they have one good player, perhaps they'll begin to build a solid franchise around him, but I can't see it myself.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:06 am UTC

Outside of the top 4 teams, the Eastern conference is so weak that Toronto is very much in the playoff picture. I think that they would be a 6 seed if the playoffs started today. I don't watch the Raptors very often, but I do like that they have a more European style of play than you usually see in the NBA.

jakovasaur

Postby jakovasaur » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:14 am UTC

folkhero wrote:Outside of the top 4 teams, the Eastern conference is so weak that Toronto is very much in the playoff picture. I think that they would be a 6 seed if the playoffs started today. I don't watch the Raptors very often, but I do like that they have a more European style of play than you usually see in the NBA.

Yeah, they certainly should make the playoffs, but that arguably makes the whole thing more infuriating for fans, I'd imagine, as you get to see them that much closer to the promised land, before they ultimately shit the bed.
Anyways, how bout that Jamal Crawford game-winner tonight? AND Sundiata Gaines sticking it to Lebron last night!

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:53 pm UTC

Lounge wrote:I'm rooting for Boston this year because I'm a fan of Garnett, and I have no idea what the Timberwolves have decided to do with their team. Even if they get a high draft pick after this year I'm sure they'll draft a third point guard.

The funny thing is that if the Timberwolves do get the #1 overall pick, the best (by a wide margin) player will be John Wall, a point guard. At least he won't have the option of staying in Spain.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:49 pm UTC

And if they draft him, I wouldn't call it a bad pick. The t-wolves aren't going to win a championship next year, they know that. Any good player is a trade asset. Draft talent, build through trade.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Sat May 08, 2010 4:49 am UTC

Necro'd the thread to brag about my Suns getting a 3-0 lead against San Antonio; so close to sweet, sweet vengeance.

Also Orlando is putting on a good impersonation of a buzz-saw.

Telchar

Postby Telchar » Sat May 08, 2010 4:55 am UTC

folkhero wrote:Necro'd the thread to brag about my Suns getting a 3-0 lead against San Antonio; so close to sweet, sweet vengeance.

This.

I really love what Gentry has done for the bench. Game 2 it was Fry and Dudley (although I don't know if I call Jarron Collins a starter....that situation is weird even w/o Robin Lopez) and now it's Dragic catching on fire.

So happy. It could only be better if Nash hip checked Ginobelli into the announcers table with 4 seconds to go.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Mon May 10, 2010 6:51 am UTC

Steve Nash doesn't need depth perception to be the best player on the court.

jakovasaur

Postby jakovasaur » Mon May 10, 2010 6:55 am UTC

I have secretly subscribed to this theory since last year's playoffs, and I am no longer afraid to admit it:
Rajon Rondo is the best PG in the league, and a top 12 player in the NBA.

As the Big 3 starts to fade, Rondo will come to the forefront and be a perennial All-NBA selection.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Mon May 10, 2010 12:48 pm UTC

folkhero wrote:Necro'd the thread to brag about my Suns getting a 3-0 lead against San Antonio; so close to sweet, sweet vengeance.

Suns did a great job of exposing the weaknesses in my beloved Spurs.

We had a terrible off-season IMHO, and didn't get any role players we needed. (Read 3 pt shooting).
It also didn't help that we paid Jefferson top dollar to lure him in, and were paid back with the worst season of his career.

Fry and Dudley were killers. Also... it looks like someone taught your team how to play defense... going to make you tough for years to come.

Steve Kerr is your President -- Former Spur... We are EVERYWHERE.

PLEASE beat the lakers, will be a suns fan for 1 series.

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Mon May 17, 2010 10:41 pm UTC

jakovasaur wrote:I have secretly subscribed to this theory since last year's playoffs, and I am no longer afraid to admit it:
Rajon Rondo is the best PG in the league, and a top 12 player in the NBA.

As the Big 3 starts to fade, Rondo will come to the forefront and be a perennial All-NBA selection.

I'd believed that he'd become a monster ever since I got to see him at the Garden for the first home exhibition game for the 2007-08 season. He was still in Beta mode, but you could tell where he was headed.

as far as I'm concerned, the only PG who might be better than him is Derrick Rose.

Telchar

Postby Telchar » Mon May 17, 2010 11:57 pm UTC

I know Canadians who are better than Rondo....

nowfocus

Postby nowfocus » Tue May 18, 2010 12:06 am UTC

Telchar wrote:I know Canadians who are better than Rondo....

Plural? Steve Nash and...Leo Rautins?
Jahoclave wrote:Besides if you observe romance, you change the outcome. Especially if you put his/her friend Catherine in a box.

Menacing Spike wrote:Was it the copper hammer or the children part that caused censoring?

Telchar

Postby Telchar » Tue May 18, 2010 12:10 am UTC

Inadvertant use of plurals aside, I still maintain Steven Nash as the best PG in the NBA, and I don't think I'm being a homer. I think the stats back me up.

Return to “News & Articles”