NBA Thread - with 99.9999% less posters

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

jakovasaur

Re: NBA Thread - with 99.9999% less posters

Postby jakovasaur » Tue May 18, 2010 1:33 am UTC

Telchar wrote:Inadvertant use of plurals aside, I still maintain Steven Nash as the best PG in the NBA, and I don't think I'm being a homer. I think the stats back me up.

Rondo gets it done on both ends of the floor. Nash's defense isn't as bad as some people say, but Rondo is by far the best defensive PG in the league.

bonzoWhale

Postby bonzoWhale » Tue May 18, 2010 6:04 am UTC

I know it's too early to say, but another Lakers-Celtics would be pretty neat! :P

Telchar
That's Admiral 'The Hulk' Ackbar, to you sir

Postby Telchar » Tue May 18, 2010 6:32 am UTC

Yeah, it was disappointing tonight. It's weird when you shoot 43% and the other team shoots 62 and you're still in the game.

Phoenix just didn't establish the 3's. And, as much as I like Lopez, I think taking him out would be better. He can't match up with most of the Laker's bigs, so why not put in Frye and JRich and try and dominate the 3's and not worry about the paint.

Anyway, should be a good game 2, but why are they waiting to play game 3 till Sun?
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Tue May 18, 2010 5:13 pm UTC

jakovasaur wrote:
Telchar wrote:Inadvertant use of plurals aside, I still maintain Steven Nash as the best PG in the NBA, and I don't think I'm being a homer. I think the stats back me up.

Rondo gets it done on both ends of the floor. Nash's defense isn't as bad as some people say, but Rondo is by far the best defensive PG in the league.

Everyone forgets about Derron Williams because he plays in Utah. Rondo would have serious matchup problems with Chanucy Billups and a lot of the other larger point guards where Derron Williams does not. Williams is also capable of covering 2 guards very well on a switch. Rondo gets more steals it's true, but he also takes more changes. I'd still take Williams over Rondo.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Tue May 18, 2010 7:01 pm UTC

They do. He is a god.
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

mosc

Postby mosc » Tue May 18, 2010 7:51 pm UTC

He's a better shot than people give him credit and not the "pass only" guard people generalize. All the great passers have had amazing range. That said, he's not that good a defender and although there are no better passers in the league, there are comparable guards that are a lot younger. Rondo and Paul don't shoot the outside shot well, but Williams is at least as good a shooter as Nash if not better. Better defender too.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Telchar

Postby Telchar » Tue May 18, 2010 9:25 pm UTC

Generally speaking I rank Nash as 1, Paul as 2, Deron as 3, Rondo and Rose as 4 and 5. It's tough to judge Chris Paul this season because he didn't hardly play at all, but when he's healthy.....man.
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.

jakovasaur

Postby jakovasaur » Tue May 18, 2010 9:46 pm UTC

Telchar wrote:Generally speaking I rank Nash as 1, Paul as 2, Deron as 3, Rondo and Rose as 4 and 5. It's tough to judge Chris Paul this season because he didn't hardly play at all, but when he's healthy.....man.

Yeah, that's the beauty of sports. All 5 of those guys have a claim to best PG in the league, depending on the criteria you're using. Nash is the best playmaker, the best shooter, and has had the best career. In 07 and 08 CP3 had two seasons that, statistically, are better than any PG's season in a long, long time. Williams has arguably the most consistent, complete game right now. Rondo can do things no other PG can do on both ends, and is the best defender of the bunch, but he has some weaknesses compared to the other top 5. And Rose is as athletically gifted as any PG has ever been, and might have the highest ceiling out of all of them.

And then you have guys like Lamar Odom, who is as gifted as any player I've ever seen, but only shows up once in a blue moon (last night). Like the saying goes, that's why they play the games.

Telchar

Postby Telchar » Wed May 26, 2010 5:34 pm UTC

I just woke up from my drunken celebratory stupor and would now like to shout...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Channing Frye you sonova bitch!

mosc

Postby mosc » Wed May 26, 2010 6:04 pm UTC

Don't worry, he'll leave his shot in Phoenix and you'll sober up soon enough ;)

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Fri May 28, 2010 3:47 am UTC

Lakers take game five on the strength of a last-second Kobe Bryant airball

Filed under: a win is a win is a win

Kuji

Postby Kuji » Fri May 28, 2010 5:27 am UTC

LeBron James wouldn't have played with some of Nash's injuries during the playoffs. Like the most recent one...

Youtube video below:

Really, Nash is a warrior. I'd have him lead my team anytime. All time, for me, he is right behind Magic Johnson and Pete Maravich.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:12 pm UTC

So LeBron and Chris Bosh are going to Miami to play with Wade. Dan Gilbert (of the Cavs) writes a letter that makes him look like a crazy person, in comic sans, including a guarantee that Cleveland will win the title before LeBron which is BOLDED AND IN ALL CAPS. Other things to note in the letter include a weird reference to going to heaven and having to die to get there and an abundance of out-of-place quotation marks.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

Telchar

Postby Telchar » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:28 pm UTC

Yeah, I've nevet done such a 180 on love/hate as fast as I did after that. I don't care that he left, but dragging this whole thing out and making "The Decision" on ESPN is just kicking Cleveland in the sack. I really hope the chemistry is destroyed and the Heat never get out of the first round of the playoffs.

It's gotta be about playing with friends. Otherwise, Chicago is a much better place. Wade/LBJ just don't mesh as well as Noah/Rose/LBJ. And besides Chaumers, who do you have? All 3 are going to have to play 44+ minutes because you're going to have 7 minimum salary nobodies behind them. I dunno, I don't beleive the superteam hype.

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:20 am UTC

Not to mention Tom Thibideau as head coach. I would have been terrified of that combination in Chicago.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:42 pm UTC

Nothing against Tom Thibodeau, but I hear that that Pat Riley guy can coach too. They are going to need big bodies to go against Dwight Howard and so that Bosh can play at PF, but I expect roll players will come, if only for the chance to play with guys with so much talent. Remember, they have played together before, with great success. Granted, they won't have a PG who can distribute nearly as well as Kidd, but LeBron and Wade are good passers, so I don't think it will end up like the AI and Melo Nuggets where they take turns shooting. If they have to play 40+ minutes per game, who cares? They are used to playing that many minutes and having other star players will mean less of a burden each possession.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

Readout

Postby Readout » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:47 pm UTC

You guys lost me at "sportsball"....
Anyone who can identify the language these people are really speaking wins three internet cookies

Telchar

Postby Telchar » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:24 pm UTC

I guess I look at the other "super teams" of the past 10+ years and I don't see Lebron/Bosh/Wade being as succesfull. You have 3 really good players, and then Chaumers, and then nothing. Kobe has Odom/Bynum/Gasol/Fisher/Artest. Thave have some bad players like Vujacic (Who's actually so bad, the Slovenians kicked him off their Olympic team. Apparently, Slovenia is good enough without NBA players....) but they also have a ton of those role players. The Celtics have Sheed as their 9th best player. I also don't think Dwayne Wade and Lebron compliment eachother as well as Rose/Mello/Noah could've.

All in all, I think he did it because he wants to have fun playing with guys he likes. And that's fine. He doesn't owe anyone an explanation.

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:44 pm UTC

Readout wrote:You guys lost me at "sportsball"....

You know, if that were the case, I really don't think you would have clicked on the thread title

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:38 pm UTC

Portland needs to get Chris Paul...very badly.

The 'Blazers need to get rid of Oden, or get another Center. Przyzyzyzyz isn't going to be good enough for much longer, and Oden seems to be Sam Bowie redux.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

Telchar

Postby Telchar » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:34 pm UTC

I'm really nervous about the Suns trade for Turk. Even at it's best (Turk circa 2008) it still isn't a replacement for Amare in the post. Lopez is gonna need to really step it up. I still think we make the playoffs, but we won't win until we have a legitimate big defender.

nowfocus

Postby nowfocus » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:01 pm UTC

Telchar wrote:I'm really nervous about the Suns trade for Turk. Even at it's best (Turk circa 2008) it still isn't a replacement for Amare in the post. Lopez is gonna need to really step it up. I still think we make the playoffs, but we won't win until we have a legitimate big defender.

As someone from Toronto - I'm guite happy about it :).

Realistically though - without Bosh or Amare I doubt either of our teams we win for the next decade at least.
Jahoclave wrote:Besides if you observe romance, you change the outcome. Especially if you put his/her friend Catherine in a box.

Menacing Spike wrote:Was it the copper hammer or the children part that caused censoring?

mosc

Postby mosc » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:17 pm UTC

Telchar wrote:I'm really nervous about the Suns trade for Turk. Even at it's best (Turk circa 2008) it still isn't a replacement for Amare in the post. Lopez is gonna need to really step it up. I still think we make the playoffs, but we won't win until we have a legitimate big defender.

Turk is a terrible fit for that team. He's never moved well without the ball and his best asset is as a passer. Orlando's greatest success with him was running him as a point forward essentially. I think you have a 2 time MVP you might prefer having the ball instead though so I can't see that working AT ALL.

Return to “News & Articles”