South Park Censored

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26818
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: South Park Censored

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:33 pm UTC

Sorry, should have said something like "other people's morality" there.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...
Posts: 3113
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:31 pm UTC

Re: South Park Censored

Postby Ixtellor » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:46 pm UTC

http://townhall.com/columnists/MikeAdam ... _diversity

Here is a conservative columnist being a dick to Muslims because of the South Park episode.

Reading through all the posts, and can't decide if some posters agree with any of his premises, or if you would be equally offended by his 'dickishness'.

Here is the most important
Dear Revolution Muslim:

I am offended by your recent threats against the creators of South Park. I am offended specifically that the creators of South Park were threatened with death and that I received no similar threat. I have made statements against Mohammad that are far more offensive. What can I do to get you to threaten me with death - aside from calling you on the carpet as effeminate and cowardly?
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: South Park Censored

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:03 pm UTC

mosc wrote:Free speech is when an individual is denied by an extension of the government from doing something.


Shouldn't that be "The First Amendment" and not "Free Speech", Free Speech is only slightly related to government.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Kayangelus
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:37 am UTC

Re: South Park Censored

Postby Kayangelus » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:07 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:http://townhall.com/columnists/MikeAdams/2010/04/26/how_to_offend_barbarians_and_promote_diversity

Here is a conservative columnist being a dick to Muslims because of the South Park episode.

Reading through all the posts, and can't decide if some posters agree with any of his premises, or if you would be equally offended by his 'dickishness'.

Here is the most important
Dear Revolution Muslim:

I am offended by your recent threats against the creators of South Park. I am offended specifically that the creators of South Park were threatened with death and that I received no similar threat. I have made statements against Mohammad that are far more offensive. What can I do to get you to threaten me with death - aside from calling you on the carpet as effeminate and cowardly?

You might want to read it with a bit more care. He is not being a dick to Muslisms. He is being a dick to Revolution Muslim, the people who sent out the threat. There is a difference. Being a dick to someone who gives out death threats and encourages death of others for making use of their freedom of speech, is totally fine. Being a dick to an entire religion because of a few idiots who made the news is not okay.

User avatar
Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...
Posts: 3113
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:31 pm UTC

Re: South Park Censored

Postby Ixtellor » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:48 pm UTC

Kayangelus wrote:You might want to read it with a bit more care.


I was thinking more about his last 3 letters in that piece.

The one where he is going to make and wear a "Fuck Mohammad" T-shirt.
Where he was going to smear dung all over Mohammad, etc.

I get what he is doing, but if you follow Adams, he really is a dick about other religions and goes out of his way to insult them because he thinks Christians have to suffer, so why not others.
Also read his pieces on homosexuality... mega dick.
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

Asylumer
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:34 pm UTC

Re: South Park Censored

Postby Asylumer » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:03 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:I was thinking more about his last 3 letters in that piece.

The one where he is going to make and wear a "Fuck Mohammad" T-shirt.
Where he was going to smear dung all over Mohammad, etc.

I get what he is doing, but if you follow Adams, he really is a dick about other religions and goes out of his way to insult them because he thinks Christians have to suffer, so why not others.
Also read his pieces on homosexuality... mega dick.


He certainly sounds like a dick and, if his actions are motivated by a persecution complex, it's even rather pathetic, but I'd rather combat his ideas than his ability to say them.

User avatar
aleflamedyud
wants your cookies
Posts: 3307
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:50 pm UTC
Location: The Central Bureaucracy

Re: South Park Censored

Postby aleflamedyud » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:12 pm UTC

mosc wrote:Comedy Central is a wholly owned subsidiary of Viacom which is a publically traded company and has a financial obligation to MAKE AS MUCH FUCKING MONEY AS POSSIBLE, not to defend your god damned free speech. They are in business, and pissing off customers is bad business. Stop fucking inserting your morality over what is fundamentally a business decision on how to make the most money. They are required by law to ignore your morals whenever legally possible when they conflict with their ability to make money. If they don't, they should be fired and replaced with those that will.

Free speech is when an individual is denied by an extension of the government from doing something. It is NOT self censorship. That's called having a fucking brain. The government didn't stop South Park from airing an image of the Prophet Mohamed, the guy paying the bills, investing his money, and demanding a financial return did AKA the shareholder.

You claim that RevolutionMuslim are among the customers of Viacom/Comedy Central? Are you saying that they might boycott or something?

Or do you claim that Comedy Central will lose money due to a terrorist murder? I would say that they have an obligation to stand up for the pillars of our society, especially free speech, that enable them to do business. As a for-profit company, they should care about free speech and censorship precisely because they make their living off skirting that line so very often.

South Park Studios sold the rights to that episode, so that right isn't theirs to exercise. That's a contract, not censorship.

And if I were Matt and Trey, I would look at the contract and triple-check it for any clause saying that South Park must go uncensored. If they had any sense, they must have obtained some contractual guarantee in that regard.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

User avatar
skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist
Posts: 6142
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:09 am UTC
Location: San Francisco

Re: South Park Censored

Postby skeptical scientist » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:34 pm UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:And if I were Matt and Trey, I would look at the contract and triple-check it for any clause saying that South Park must go uncensored. If they had any sense, they must have obtained some contractual guarantee in that regard.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-
excuse me
-AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The cable company, not the artists, are the ones holding most of the cards in these deals, since they're the ones with the money. You can bet there is nothing even resembling such a clause, because Comedy Central would never sign such a contract. If Matt and Trey were unwilling to sign a contract that didn't prohibit network censorship, you'd be lucky if South Park even existed as a series of a few 10 minute YouTube videos.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

User avatar
Dream
WINNING
Posts: 4338
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:20 pm UTC
Location: The Hollow Scene Epic

Re: South Park Censored

Postby Dream » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:09 pm UTC

skeptical scientist wrote:If Matt and Trey were unwilling to sign a contract that didn't prohibit network censorship, you'd be lucky if South Park even existed as a series of a few 10 minute YouTube videos.

Yeah, but at lest Kenny would have gotten laid in Major Boobage.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

User avatar
Malice
Posts: 3894
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:37 am UTC
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Re: South Park Censored

Postby Malice » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:59 am UTC

Apparently, according to subtitles on the Chinese version of the episode, Comedy Central censored the speech at the end specifically because of Revolution Muslim's death threats. See here.
Image


Return to “News & Articles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: pex and 18 guests