Self folding origami

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Spen

Self folding origami

Postby Spen » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:37 pm UTC

Found this on the wired site a couple of hours ago:
http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2010/06 ... oat-plane/
The possibilities that this opens up are astonishing, if it can be scaled up to large sheet size then it will be VERY interesting, although structural strength probably won't be all that great...

Ubik

Re: Self folding origami

Postby Ubik » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:48 pm UTC

I want a small laptop with a monitor that unfolds into a larger one while the machine boots. (I think William Gibson has something like that in one of his books.)

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:03 pm UTC

Ubik wrote:I want a small laptop with a monitor that unfolds into a larger one while the machine boots. (I think William Gibson has something like that in one of his books.)

It's been a while since I read the Neuromancer trilogy, but he describes the perception of cyberspace unfolding before the users' "eyes" (or rather in the digital interface of their visual cortex) like origami, but yeah, an ultra-portable pocket-sized computer with a screen that unfolds in to a small laptop sized screen would be an excellent application for this.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:10 pm UTC

Crapballs, that is so freaking neat!
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:13 pm UTC

Piezoelectric?
I've read a lot of sci fi that dealt with smart materials that folded into particular orientations when you ran a charge through them.

I'd like to see the reverse be true too, a fixed shape that provides electricity as it morphs.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:28 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Piezoelectric?
I've read a lot of sci fi that dealt with smart materials that folded into particular orientations when you ran a charge through them.

I'd like to see the reverse be true too, a fixed shape that provides electricity as it morphs.

Just after posting I was thinking of adding a flexible keyboard to the origami screen with it's own origami backing so an entire laptop would fold up in to a pocket-sized device, but Izawwlgood's post would add another interesting twist, if typing on the keyboard could recover some of the energy from the keys moving. Obviously this wouldn't be enough to completely run the device on Key-Power alone, but it could extend the battery life (if by nothing else rather than closing a contact using the main power-supply as the source of the energy, pushing a key "morphs" the keyboard enough to generate electrical current that the CPU takes as a signal.)
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Kyrn

Postby Kyrn » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:24 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Piezoelectric?

I believe there're already similar tools available, and just by movement or acceleration, not morphing. They already do this with some of those "last forever" watches, for instance.
I am NOT a snake.

Opinions discussed are not necessarily the opinions of the people discussing them.

Return to “News & Articles”