Teen steals airplane, flies to Bahamas?

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

The Cat

Re: Teen steals airplane, flies to Bahamas?

Postby The Cat » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:13 pm UTC

It takes some fiddling to even taxi to a runway...

Agree, I was all over the road the first few times. I kept overcompensating. 6'5 is a big kid, I'm surprised he didn't accidentally engage the brakes. Heels down! I'd like to see the airport layout. Certainly an act of desperation.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:31 pm UTC

Overcompensating is always the problem, and its even worse because video games often show how easy it is to change the angle of attack on fighter jets. Even a flight simulator program is still far off...

(just try banking a commercial aircraft 60º like those jets on war games and see what happens.)
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

juststrange

Postby juststrange » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:09 pm UTC

Steax wrote:(just try banking a commercial aircraft 60º like those jets on war games and see what happens.)

Banking turn, true, lots of force. But last I checked commercial aircraft were rated to 1G manuvers, which inludes barrel rolls. Which is why there is photographic and video proof of a test pilot doing a barrel roll in a 747 during a press release.

Yea... almost lost his job over that one.

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:20 pm UTC

Agree. His adrenaline must have been pumping, yet his mind was calm and cool. Sloooow turn, maintain heading, check altitude, and................ belly this biotch. I love this kid. FLY, YES! LAND, NO!

Samsoneffect

Postby Samsoneffect » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:20 pm UTC

juststrange wrote:Banking turn, true, lots of force. But last I checked commercial aircraft were rated to 1G manuvers, which inludes barrel rolls. Which is why there is photographic and video proof of a test pilot doing a barrel roll in a 747 during a press release.

Yea... almost lost his job over that one.

I believe it was a 707, and he did lose his job over that one - briefly. When the airline saw that he could roll the plane, they were sold, and the guys that fired him pretty much had to hire him back.
Most people would post something witty, humourous, or perhaps offensive in their signature. Unfortunately, you won't find anything like this here.

ATCG

Postby ATCG » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:28 pm UTC

The Cat wrote:6'5 is a big kid, I'm surprised he didn't accidentally engage the brakes.

Well, he'd be tough to shoehorn into a Cessna 152. But I know for a fact that you can stuff a 6'8" NBA player into the front seat of a Cessna 172 without interfering with the controls (rudder pedals included) - if you move the seat all the way back. The luxury of being a thief is that cost is no object: If you're going to steal an airplane, you might as well pick one with enough legroom.

Samsoneffect wrote:I believe it was a 707, and he did lose his job over that one - briefly. When the airline saw that he could roll the plane, they were sold, and the guys that fired him pretty much had to hire him back.

Just to set the record straight: Yes, it was what would ultimately evolve into the Boeing 707 that Tex Johnston rolled over Lake Washington (video). But while he was called on the carpet by Boeing's president, he kept his job.

Incidentally, transport category aircraft certified under FAR Part 25 have, at a minimum, limiting load factors of -1.0G and +2.5G (+1G being the load factor in straight and level flight). As a point of comparison, +2.0G is the load factor experienced in a 60° coordinated bank.
"The age of the universe is 100 billion, if the units are dog years." - Sean Carroll

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:31 am UTC

Agree on all points. I had a hard time with my feet on the pedals. More specifically my heal catching on the floor or toe flirting with the break.

Tricks Choices

Postby Tricks Choices » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:02 am UTC

The Barefoot Bandit strikes again. Have y'all heard about the other things he's done? It's just simple crimes and basic breakins, but it's funny and agitates the authorities. He's had a fanbase for a while now. I first heard his story when People magazine did a story on him. It's like something out of a novel or something - made me smile.

Return to “News & Articles”