Slate Article on Peter Theil

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Slate Article on Peter Theil

Postby Dark567 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:54 pm UTC

http://www.slate.com/id/2271265/

The article discusses Peter Theil(founder of PayPal, and the first outside investor in facebook) is offering to pay young entrepreneurs to drop out of college before they are 20. I am not sure why it is so important to him that they be under 20 and don't finish college, other than to shove it to the man.

The article and wikipedia also had a lot of more interesting tidbits on this guy:
    He's openly gay
    He believes giving women the right to vote is partly wrecking the country
    He believes that capitalism and democracy are incompatible, therefore we need to jettison democracy
    The goal of PayPal was not just as a payment system, but to create a global currency system beyond the reach of taxation and central banking
    He's on the steering committee of the Bilderburg Group
    He has previously been a lawyer and a hedge fund manager
    He sees facebook as a way to build supranational communities
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Re: Slate Article on Peter Theil

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:04 pm UTC

Indoctrinate the youth!

Dude seems like a loon.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Korrente

Postby Korrente » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:06 pm UTC

How much is he paying? Can we go back to college after we get the money? I need to know before November, I'm running out of time.

Dangermouse

Postby Dangermouse » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:39 pm UTC

How exactly can you be a 'hyper libertarian' and not support the right of women to vote?

Hello, cognitive dissonance.

thc

Postby thc » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:41 pm UTC

Dangermouse wrote:How exactly can you be a 'hyper libertarian' and not support the right of women to vote?

Rights only apply to people.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:01 pm UTC

So, with the awknowledgement of his craziness, I poked at this a bit;
http://thielfoundation.org/index.php?op ... &Itemid=19

The foundation isn't simply telling people to drop out, it's awarding people for executing innovative ideas. Let at least accurately report on what the dude is up to.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Silknor

Postby Silknor » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:06 pm UTC

Dangermouse wrote:How exactly can you be a 'hyper libertarian' and not support the right of women to vote?

Apparently (from what I can tell based on the article), he believes women are inclined to vote against his conception of freedom, e.g. women are disposed to voting for economic regulation, the welfare state/social safety net, and redistribution of wealth.

And I'm not sure "not support the right of women to vote" is the correct conception, it's probably closer to "if we let people vote, they (in part because they includes women) will make bad or self-interested decisions that don't benefit me or don't agree with my idea of freedom/capitalism, so we should reject democracy. It is ( or seems to be, but then I'm generous) the difference between, in a democracy, people (the majority of whom may be women) who disagree with me will have power, so lets reject democracy, and a democracy should only have male voters.

Edit: In general, ignoring the speculation about women voting differently then men, it's not hard to see why libertarianism may be incompatible with democratic rule not subject to sharp constraint. If it's possible that the people can vote themselves wealth, then since most people are below average in wealth, there's a temptation to try to redistribute wealth. That's fairly clearly not libertarian, and let without strong external limits on the power of the voters (or the power of government), it may be a natural tendency in a society with a certain set of cultural values. This doesn't mean democracy has to be anti-libertarian, but if you combine the potential for a strong government that redistributes wealth with a society where many people agree with that kind of policy, it's not surprising that you end up with tension between libertarianism (or freedom) and democracy.
Nikc wrote:Silknor is the JJ Abrams of mafia modding

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:29 am UTC

That article told be more about the mindset and insecurities of the author, Jacob Weisberg than Peter Theil. He accuses Theil of trying to clone himself, and then he decries Theil for potentially, "diverting a generation of young people from the love of knowledge for its own sake and respect for middle-class values." So I guess he's happy with universities popping out millions of Jacob Weisberg clones. He criticizes the causes that Theil donates to, which has always struck me as a rather pathetic way for someone to try to feel superior to a philanthropist. The Methuselah foundation does medical research that's outside of the mainstream, I don't see why that's such a terrible thing for someone to give money to. NASA is growing more uninspiring by the day, so I really hope private industry or private charity can get going on the whole space thing, but I guess it makes Theil a sci-fi nut. Apparently one who is so despite to get laid that he has to set up offshore communities to get have orgies. I guess pointing and shouting, "NEEERD!!" doesn't really work in text, but Weisberg does a pretty good job of making his opinion of Theil clear.

The article says that Paypal originally, "sought to create a global currency beyond the reach of taxation or central bank policy," which is true. I actually say Theil speak at a conference, and he explained that the idea of starting Paypal was something along the lines of, "sometimes governments manipulate their currency and turn people's life savings into so much worthless paper. The wealthy have the resources and financial savvy to largely themselves from such manipulations, is there some way we can use technology to give middle and lower class people the same ability?" It turns out the idea turned into something much more useful than they ever imagined and it's helping millions of people do business. If that's what libertarian techno-utopianism looks like, I think the world could use more libertarian techno-utopianism.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:23 pm UTC

Silknor wrote:

Apparently (from what I can tell based on the article), he believes women are inclined to vote against his conception of freedom, e.g. women are disposed to voting for economic regulation, the welfare state/social safety net, and redistribution of wealth.
Sounds like he and Ann Coulter are in agreement.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:43 pm UTC

Hello, cognitive dissonance.
Are you really that unimaginative?

The easiest way is to say "no one gets the right to vote." Boom, hyper libertarianism and not supporting the right of women to vote.

Most libertarian thinkers are the sort that, if given the choice between liberty and democracy, will take liberty over democracy. There are reasons to hope the two are compatible- democracy does have a number of positive features- but as a source of ideals democracy is pretty weak.

Izawwlgood wrote:The foundation isn't simply telling people to drop out, it's awarding people for executing innovative ideas. Let at least accurately report on what the dude is up to.
Not to mention that the article is full of pointless attacks. Milton Friedman's grandson wears pyjamas- clearly that means... what? And the links don't support that claim, unless they just mean he's an idealist.

folkhero wrote:That article told be more about the mindset and insecurities of the author, Jacob Weisberg than Peter Theil.
Exactly.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Crius

Postby Crius » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:31 pm UTC

The worst best part of the article has to be this bit:

Seasteading, a movement to create law-free floating communes based on voluntary association. Led by Milton Friedman's pajama-wearing grandson, this may be the most elaborate effort ever devised by a group of computer nerds to get invited to an orgy. (Let's build our own Deepwater Horizon with legal prostitution!)

Return to “News & Articles”