The Rent is 2 Damn High-- Greatest Political Party Ever

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

The Rent is 2 Damn High-- Greatest Political Party Ever

Postby EsotericWombat » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:55 pm UTC

The Reaper

Re: The Rent is 2 Damn High-- Greatest Political Party Ever

Postby The Reaper » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:05 am UTC

While I support the view that rent is too damn high, I cannot vote for him because the audio on his site is on an infinite loop and louder than I was prepared for. That, and I don't live in New York. Good party platform tho. Nice, simple, to the point.

KrO2

Postby KrO2 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:10 am UTC

He misspelled tenant. Unforgivable.

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:14 am UTC

Good Lord. The New York Post just revealed that Weirdy McHair pays $800 for a one bedroom apartment in Brooklyn. I can't imagine how the economy would fare if everyone in the state paid Damn less than that.
Last edited by Tirian on Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:18 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:15 am UTC

You can't truly be a fringe party unless your website employs the finest of mid-nineties Geocites web design.

WaterToFire

Postby WaterToFire » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:51 am UTC

According to my local newspaper, he is also a karate expert and is of the opinion that the mountains of New York should be bulldozed to increase the state's independence.

Truly, and tempting choice for the first election I can vote in...

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:27 am UTC

WaterToFire wrote:According to my local newspaper, he is also a karate expert and is of the opinion that the mountains of New York should be bulldozed to increase the state's independence.

Truly, and tempting choice for the first election I can vote in...

Well, given the other candidates, I can't even say he's that far from them on the crazy train.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:52 pm UTC

Nevermind, this man is just another politician telling us what we want to hear. Apparently he hasn't paid rent since the 80s. http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local-be ... 46278.html

wst

Postby wst » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:16 pm UTC

I thought there was only a choice of two political parties in the USA. This confuses my entire understanding of the USA's voting system (though the whole thing is pretty confusing I can at least grasp the concept of two parties that are dire enemies and that supporters of one party don't get on well with supporters of the other party regardless of other personal merits yada yada.)

Please, someone, what happened to allow a third political party?
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Korrente

Postby Korrente » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:24 pm UTC

wst wrote:I thought there was only a choice of two political parties in the USA. This confuses my entire understanding of the USA's voting system (though the whole thing is pretty confusing I can at least grasp the concept of two parties that are dire enemies and that supporters of one party don't get on well with supporters of the other party regardless of other personal merits yada yada.)

Please, someone, what happened to allow a third political party?

Hopefully you're not trolling...
Anyone can run for any election in America under any party (or no party, I suppose) but no one ever gets anywhere because they can't come up with enough money to buy your vote. You can even write-in a person who isn't even running, in some elections.
There were many more parties back in the early days of America, most of them merged with the Rupublicans/Democrats because they were quite similar, or their positions became irrelevant. There are still some that campaign even at the presidential level on more narrow viewpoints, but again, they don't have deep pocket supporters so you don't really hear about them.

scarecrovv
It's pronounced 'double u'

Postby scarecrovv » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:31 pm UTC

There have always been many political parties, but there are only two that matter. This is because we don't use Instant Runoff Voting, like they do in Australia (and presumably everywhere else, because I haven't heard of any more recently created democracies having this problem). Because we use caveman voting, if you vote for a third party, rather than the major party that represents your views only slightly better than the other, then your vote doesn't count because the candidate from your party is going to lose, and now you can't influence the race between the two evils, one of whom is lesser than the other. IRV fixes this problem, because if your first choice loses, then your vote cascades to your second choice, and so on. Unfortunately, while IRV is now technically feasible, it is politically impossible because the people who have the power to change it have invariably just been elected under the old system, so it is in their interest to keep it the old way.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:32 pm UTC

scarecrovv wrote: Because we use caveman voting, if you vote for a third party, rather than the major party that represents your views only slightly better than the other, then your vote doesn't count because the candidate from your party is going to lose, and now you can't influence the race between the two evils, one of whom is lesser than the other.

This isn't really true. The odds of your vote influencing any federal election are so minuscule your vote counts just as much by voting for a third party as it does for one of the two major ones. Hell, it might even be more influential.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

wst

Postby wst » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:06 pm UTC

Korrente wrote:Hopefully you're not trolling...
Irrelevant line, and quite stupid. I'd always heard of the USA's political system being called a "Two party system", I thought there were only two parties and no more. I had no reason to research further because I can't vote. Anyway.

Thanks to the people who explained it, including Korrente. There are an infinite possible amount of parties but only 2 have a chance so it's fundamentally a 2 party system. Got it.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Griffin

Postby Griffin » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:31 pm UTC

Well, at a nationad level anyways. At a state level, there's a lot more third part and independent support, and at the local level a lot more beyond that, though of course this varies depending on where you live.

Technically, the US is a party-less system in that political parties have no functional meaning in government. They are organizations outside the government that exist to promote certain candidates.
Since there are two big groups throwing money around, most politicians align themselves with one or the other (or switch regularly) because they can get more campaign support that way, but ultimately people in America don't vote for parties, they vote for individuals.

Which is why I feel the "party line" option on some ballots to be a terrible perversion of the US election system, but what can you do, eh?
Bdthemag: "I don't always GM, but when I do I prefer to put my player's in situations that include pain and torture. Stay creative my friends."

Bayobeasts - the Pokemon: Orthoclase project.

netcrusher88

Postby netcrusher88 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:45 pm UTC

Parties have no inherent meaning in government. They have all too much real functional meaning.
Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire
They said we would never have a black president until Swine Flu. -Gears

Decker

Postby Decker » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:23 am UTC

Tirian wrote:Good Lord. The New York Post just revealed that Weirdy McHair pays $800 for a one bedroom apartment in Brooklyn. I can't imagine how the economy would fare if everyone in the state paid Damn less than that.

His rent is exceptionally low. I don't think he wants HIS rent lowered as much as the people who are paying, like, twice that much for the same space.
You don't have to suffer to push a cause.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:53 am UTC

Tirian wrote:Good Lord. The New York Post just revealed that Weirdy McHair pays $800 for a one bedroom apartment in Brooklyn. I can't imagine how the economy would fare if everyone in the state paid Damn less than that.

That seems pretty reasonable to me. Sure, its low, but not outrageously so.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:39 am UTC

BlackSails wrote:

That seems pretty reasonable to me. Sure, its low, but not outrageously so.

And yet you could get a extremely snazzy loft with a hottub here in Springfield, MO for about that same price. Which just proves how much people don't want to live in this hellhole.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:42 am UTC

So apparently, he doesn't like Jews.
Exit the vampires' castle.

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:38 am UTC

Decker wrote:His rent is exceptionally low. I don't think he wants HIS rent lowered as much as the people who are paying, like, twice that much for the same space.

Agreed, but when you have no experience in politics and you are seeking high executive office only on the strength of a cause that doesn't affect you, I smell a rat. If the Fates played a dirty trick on New York State and he did win, he'd learn in the first hour of his term that the governor has no control over the rent of private properties. What in the holy hell would he do with the next 35,063 hours of his term?

The thing that I regret is that 50,000 idiots are going to vote for him based on the party name and his amusing clowning and the Rent Is Too Damn High Party is going to be a legitimate minor party for the next four years with guaranteed ballot access throughout the state.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:39 am UTC

Tirian wrote:
Decker wrote:His rent is exceptionally low. I don't think he wants HIS rent lowered as much as the people who are paying, like, twice that much for the same space.

Agreed, but when you have no experience in politics and you are seeking high executive office only on the strength of a cause that doesn't affect you, I smell a rat. If the Fates played a dirty trick on New York State and he did win, he'd learn in the first hour of his term that the governor has no control over the rent of private properties. What in the holy hell would he do with the next 35,063 hours of his term?

The thing that I regret is that 50,000 idiots are going to vote for him based on the party name and his amusing clowning and the Rent Is Too Damn High Party is going to be a legitimate minor party for the next four years with guaranteed ballot access throughout the state.

You do realize that such a single issue third party, when persistent can help shape the political agenda by gaining notoriety for an issue that a dominant party then picks up into their platform in order to gain those votes, right? So even an assclown can help push a legitimate issue. I mean, an assclown pretty much keeps the tea party going.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:54 am UTC

Nothing like hearing him on Hannity (I was bored and listened to it today).

Sean: How much do you pay in rent?

Jimmy: I PAY RENT I HAVE KIDS-

Sean: How much rent do you pay?

Jimmy: I HAVE BILLS I PAY RENT-

Sean: How much is your rent?

and so on...

PhatPhungus

Postby PhatPhungus » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:00 am UTC

He himself is completely unfit to govern, but he has a point, and as was said before, the biggest effect of third parties is raising the visibility of their issues, so that the issue gets addressed by one or both of the major parties. The green party is an example of this. For that reason, if I lived in New York, there's a good chance I would vote for him (with full expectation that he would lose).

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:12 am UTC

Even if this man is insane, he still has a better platform and is better at getting his point across then most politicians nowadays. For that much he needs to be commemorated.
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:37 am UTC

Tirian wrote:If the Fates played a dirty trick on New York State and he did win, he'd learn in the first hour of his term that the governor has no control over the rent of private properties. What in the holy hell would he do with the next 35,063 hours of his term?

Golf, Prostitutes followed by Steak Dinner? I'm fairly sure that's the kind of thing politicians do when the realise they're no-longer a valid part of the system.
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

Return to “News & Articles”