Surprise: Alaskans dislike Sarah Palin

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Lazar
Landed Gentry
Posts: 2151
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:49 pm UTC
Location: Massachusetts

Surprise: Alaskans dislike Sarah Palin

Postby Lazar » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:44 am UTC

From Public Policy Polling: although every state surveyed by PPP has a net unfavorable opinion of Sarah Palin, it is her own home state of Alaska that dislikes her the second most, trailing only Massachusetts. 58% of Alaskans have an unfavorable view of her, versus 33% favorable. Myself, I'm glad to see her know-nothing demagoguery paying off.
Exit the vampires' castle.

User avatar
broken_escalator
They're called stairs
Posts: 3312
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:49 am UTC
Location: _| ̄|○

Re: Surprise: Alaskans dislike Sarah Palin

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:28 pm UTC

Wasn't there an inquiry to her embezzling from when she was the governor of Alaska? That seems to ring a bell and would be a pretty good reason for Alaskans to hate her. Y'know, aside from the obvious reasons.

wokattack
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:06 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Surprise: Alaskans dislike Sarah Palin

Postby wokattack » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:05 pm UTC

There was that, supporting the bridge to nowhere, funding the very expensive new sports fascilities while mayor, politicly throwing mother-in-law to the hounds and reportedly trying to ban a host of books from local libraries.

User avatar
Gellert1984
Posts: 588
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:07 pm UTC
Location: South Wales UK

Re: Surprise: Alaskans dislike Sarah Palin

Postby Gellert1984 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:09 pm UTC

I'm not sure whats more surprising, that somebody felt the need to poll whether alaskans like Sarah Palin or that some alaskans voted favourably towards her, presumably they've been trapped in a yeti's ice cave for the past few years.
The only time I question the right to Free Speech is when I watch Fox News, probably due to the fact that I don't think they really believe in it. -Elisa Scaldaferri

nowfocus
Posts: 948
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:34 am UTC

Re: Surprise: Alaskans dislike Sarah Palin

Postby nowfocus » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:39 pm UTC

I think it has a lot to do with her quiting as Governor part way through her term so she could be a celebrity.

And I thought they liked the bridge to nowhere.
Jahoclave wrote:Besides if you observe romance, you change the outcome. Especially if you put his/her friend Catherine in a box.

Menacing Spike wrote:Was it the copper hammer or the children part that caused censoring?

User avatar
Internetmeme
Posts: 1405
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:16 pm UTC
Location: South Carolina, USA

Re: Surprise: Alaskans dislike Sarah Palin

Postby Internetmeme » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:13 pm UTC

nowfocus wrote:I think it has a lot to do with her quiting as Governor part way through her term so she could be a celebrity.

Exactly. If you can't commit to being the governor of your state for the whole term, then don't run, and don't whine when people dislike you for skipping out on it. If she runs for president, I think that the fact that she up and left her seat as governor when there was nothing wrong will be a major issue.
Spoiler:

User avatar
mmmcannibalism
Posts: 2150
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:16 am UTC

Re: Surprise: Alaskans dislike Sarah Palin

Postby mmmcannibalism » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:15 pm UTC

How does this(including every other state) compare to opinion of Obama or Mccain or Romney etc.?
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: Surprise: Alaskans dislike Sarah Palin

Postby Роберт » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:13 pm UTC

mmmcannibalism wrote:How does this(including every other state) compare to opinion of Obama or Mccain or Romney etc.?

I have a vague idea that it's typical to have higher than average support in your home state, but no hard numbers.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

User avatar
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow
Posts: 3819
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm UTC
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Re: Surprise: Alaskans dislike Sarah Palin

Postby Giant Speck » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:18 pm UTC

nowfocus wrote:And I thought they liked the bridge to nowhere.

Not everyone did. I'd imagine that even a resident of Anchorage doesn't give a shit about a bridge in Ketchikan. Hell, even Palin herself flip-flopped on the issue of the bridge, initially supporting it but later becoming opposed to it.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

pizzazz
Posts: 487
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:44 pm UTC

Re: Surprise: Alaskans dislike Sarah Palin

Postby pizzazz » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:52 pm UTC

Internetmeme wrote:
nowfocus wrote:I think it has a lot to do with her quiting as Governor part way through her term so she could be a celebrity.

Exactly. If you can't commit to being the governor of your state for the whole term, then don't run, and don't whine when people dislike you for skipping out on it. If she runs for president, I think that the fact that she up and left her seat as governor when there was nothing wrong will be a major issue.


The primary reason she gives in her book for quitting is because of excessive complaints. In Alaska, it is legal for anyone, even people who have never been to Alaska, let alone live there, to file a complaint against the governor, and as I recall they have to be answered individually by the governor him/herself. So people were effectively harassing her by filing huge number of complaints (the number of complaints filed against her umped several times within a year), preventing her from actually doing her job. Most of the complaints were nonsense, often completely fabricated or nonsense or repeatedly filing of the same complaint. None of them amounted to anything, but they were a tremendous drag of time (note that I cannot personally account for the veracity of these facts, only that that is what she wrote in Going Rogue)

wokattack wrote:reportedly trying to ban a host of books from local libraries.

I don't know about most of the rest of it, but this is pretty much crap. As far as I know the only thing Palin did was ask the librarian what would be required to remove a particular book from the library (which is a far cry from "banning" anything anyway).

User avatar
mmmcannibalism
Posts: 2150
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:16 am UTC

Re: Surprise: Alaskans dislike Sarah Palin

Postby mmmcannibalism » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:09 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:
mmmcannibalism wrote:How does this(including every other state) compare to opinion of Obama or Mccain or Romney etc.?

I have a vague idea that it's typical to have higher than average support in your home state, but no hard numbers.


I'm thinking of the national opinion specifically; since that would mark how her ideology is doing.
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

User avatar
folkhero
Posts: 1775
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:34 am UTC

Re: Surprise: Alaskans dislike Sarah Palin

Postby folkhero » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:04 am UTC

nowfocus wrote:And I thought they liked the bridge to nowhere.

I think it's like when you and your friends rob a bank, and then one of them starts making a lot of ostentatious displays of wealth: buying an expensive car, burning $100 bills at the bar and bringing way more attention than any of you want.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

User avatar
Internetmeme
Posts: 1405
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:16 pm UTC
Location: South Carolina, USA

Re: Surprise: Alaskans dislike Sarah Palin

Postby Internetmeme » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:06 am UTC

mmmcannibalism wrote:
Роберт wrote:
mmmcannibalism wrote:How does this(including every other state) compare to opinion of Obama or Mccain or Romney etc.?

I have a vague idea that it's typical to have higher than average support in your home state, but no hard numbers.


I'm thinking of the national opinion specifically; since that would mark how her ideology is doing.

I think her ideology is more or less in line with the Tea Parties. And we all can see what support they're garnering there.

In fact, a few top people in the GOP a few months ago were trying to figure out ways to stop her from running for president. Why? Because she would curbstomp anyone in the primaries...but then go on to get curbstomped by the Democratic candidate in the presidential race.

Because we all know how well the populist candidates have fared. Hell, even Teddy Roosevelt ran for re-election under a 3rd party (Bull Moose Party...because his nickname was Bull Moose (isn't Palin's the "Mama Grizzly"?)) and got beat. The US is not, and never will be, a three-party system. Any time a third party has garnered enough support to be a major force, one of the three has always withered away.
Spoiler:

User avatar
mmmcannibalism
Posts: 2150
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:16 am UTC

Re: Surprise: Alaskans dislike Sarah Palin

Postby mmmcannibalism » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:17 am UTC

I think her ideology is more or less in line with the conservative wing of Tea Parties. And we all can see what support they're garnering there.


google libertarian tea party; its well known there are two seperate groups of people that make up the tea parties. Personal guess, they are going to break apart once the gop agenda turns from economics to abortion and gay marriage
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

User avatar
Jave D
chavey-dee
Posts: 1042
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:41 pm UTC

Re: Surprise: Alaskans dislike Sarah Palin

Postby Jave D » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:03 am UTC

pizzazz wrote:
wokattack wrote:reportedly trying to ban a host of books from local libraries.

I don't know about most of the rest of it, but this is pretty much crap. As far as I know the only thing Palin did was ask the librarian what would be required to remove a particular book from the library (which is a far cry from "banning" anything anyway).


If President Obama made a similar inquiry - say, about a book by Glenn Beck - would you defend that too as a harmless non-event unworthy of any criticism or concern?

User avatar
mmmcannibalism
Posts: 2150
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:16 am UTC

Re: Surprise: Alaskans dislike Sarah Palin

Postby mmmcannibalism » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:36 am UTC

Jave D wrote:
pizzazz wrote:
wokattack wrote:reportedly trying to ban a host of books from local libraries.

I don't know about most of the rest of it, but this is pretty much crap. As far as I know the only thing Palin did was ask the librarian what would be required to remove a particular book from the library (which is a far cry from "banning" anything anyway).


If President Obama made a similar inquiry - say, about a book by Glenn Beck - would you defend that too as a harmless non-event unworthy of any criticism or concern?


Do we have any clue what Palin was inquiring about? I would be equally outraged if she was trying to get something banned for clearly political reasons; but we don't know if thats the case or if she just thought a certain gardening book was useless.
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

User avatar
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow
Posts: 3819
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm UTC
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Re: Surprise: Alaskans dislike Sarah Palin

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:38 am UTC

mmmcannibalism wrote:Do we have any clue what Palin was inquiring about? I would be equally outraged if she was trying to get something banned for clearly political reasons; but we don't know if thats the case or if she just thought a certain gardening book was useless.

Shh... He's just trying to trap people in a situation where he can call them out for their "conservative bias".
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

User avatar
Jave D
chavey-dee
Posts: 1042
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:41 pm UTC

Re: Surprise: Alaskans dislike Sarah Palin

Postby Jave D » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:53 am UTC

mmmcannibalism wrote:
Jave D wrote:
pizzazz wrote:
wokattack wrote:reportedly trying to ban a host of books from local libraries.

I don't know about most of the rest of it, but this is pretty much crap. As far as I know the only thing Palin did was ask the librarian what would be required to remove a particular book from the library (which is a far cry from "banning" anything anyway).


If President Obama made a similar inquiry - say, about a book by Glenn Beck - would you defend that too as a harmless non-event unworthy of any criticism or concern?


Do we have any clue what Palin was inquiring about? I would be equally outraged if she was trying to get something banned for clearly political reasons; but we don't know if thats the case or if she just thought a certain gardening book was useless.


Now why does that possibility not seem very likely to me? This IS Sarah Palin, after all. Her staunch opposition to all things liberal is well-known, whereas I've never even heard of her anti-poor-quality-gardening book position.

Giant Speck wrote:
mmmcannibalism wrote:Do we have any clue what Palin was inquiring about? I would be equally outraged if she was trying to get something banned for clearly political reasons; but we don't know if thats the case or if she just thought a certain gardening book was useless.

Shh... He's just trying to trap people in a situation where he can call them out for their "conservative bias".


Is he? Then how come he's never even used the phrase "conservative bias?" Also, why are we talking about him in the third person? He does try to trap people, but sometimes even he just asks questions without an ulterior and malignant agenda.

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 10485
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: Surprise: Alaskans dislike Sarah Palin

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:12 am UTC

Jave D wrote:If President Obama made a similar inquiry - say, about [banning a] book by Glenn Beck - would you defend that too as a harmless non-event unworthy of any criticism or concern?


There is a similar case with Obama, actually. Obama's admin once prevented Fox News from attending a presidential press conference. The response was overwhelming negative press about the issue from every major news corp. The news corporations might loathe each other, and complain all you want about Fox being an overgrown tabloid, but the news corps understand very well the lesson of ganders and geese...

Though, not many seemed to mind Fox's absence from the DNC debates in 2008.

User avatar
Jave D
chavey-dee
Posts: 1042
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:41 pm UTC

Re: Surprise: Alaskans dislike Sarah Palin

Postby Jave D » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:18 am UTC

That's sorta similar, but not really. A President would seem to have authority as far as who can attend his press conferences.

User avatar
mmmcannibalism
Posts: 2150
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:16 am UTC

Re: Surprise: Alaskans dislike Sarah Palin

Postby mmmcannibalism » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:48 am UTC

Now why does that possibility not seem very likely to me? This IS Sarah Palin, after all. Her staunch opposition to all things liberal is well-known, whereas I've never even heard of her anti-poor-quality-gardening book position.


I had this weird notion that trying to stick to attacks that are fully grounded in reality is much more constructive to political discourse then trying to use every event that maybe indicates something to make an attack. If there was a story that Palin tried to get some book by say Carter banned there is an appropriate response; that doesn't mean if we here that she inquired about maybe removing something we should use that response.
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

bobjoesmith
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:32 pm UTC

Re: Surprise: Alaskans dislike Sarah Palin

Postby bobjoesmith » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:48 am UTC

...im just going to throw out what i heard once: Palin's primary qualification is being like us... the vanilla mortal citizen. She says it: Im a hockey mom. Well you know what? I dont want someone like me. I want someone who went to Harvard, then Colombia, or Yale, who knows his stuff, talks with adequate amount of fluency, and whose perhaps common American habits or family values wouldnt be the cause of a war with Russia.

thats just my two cents... and for the record i lean a little right... but palin... she could be a GREAT PTA mom, but president... eh my qualifications match hers: not having any (I mean I've been to Alaska... and frankly theres less people in the whole freaking state than less than half of brooklyn (this is true: ~900k vs. +2.5mil)

User avatar
Jave D
chavey-dee
Posts: 1042
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:41 pm UTC

Re: Surprise: Alaskans dislike Sarah Palin

Postby Jave D » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:54 am UTC

mmmcannibalism wrote:
Now why does that possibility not seem very likely to me? This IS Sarah Palin, after all. Her staunch opposition to all things liberal is well-known, whereas I've never even heard of her anti-poor-quality-gardening book position.


I had this weird notion that trying to stick to attacks that are fully grounded in reality is much more constructive to political discourse then trying to use every event that maybe indicates something to make an attack. If there was a story that Palin tried to get some book by say Carter banned there is an appropriate response; that doesn't mean if we here that she inquired about maybe removing something we should use that response.


Because we don't know which book she "inquired about maybe removing" it's a non-event now? Hum. As for grounded in reality goes, the reality is Sarah Palin has a notorious anti-anything-liberal stance, but no anti-gardening book stance. I'll stick with what is plausible rather than your implausible alternative. The woman should not be "inquiring" about removing ANY book from public access, period.

User avatar
mmmcannibalism
Posts: 2150
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:16 am UTC

Re: Surprise: Alaskans dislike Sarah Palin

Postby mmmcannibalism » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:11 am UTC

Because we don't know which book she "inquired about maybe removing" it's a non-event now? Hum


Yes, unless of course you prefer mindless assaults on palin to attacking her stance on issues(which is about as hard as breaking glass with a nuclear bomb).

As for grounded in reality goes, the reality is Sarah Palin has a notorious anti-anything-liberal stance, but no anti-gardening book stance. I'll stick with what is plausible rather than your implausible alternative.


So its plausible that she wanted a book removed because of its political stance, but not plausible that she wanted it removed for a different reason? If there is actual evidence that she was trying to get something banned for political reasons; then it should be reported because that is important information for the voting public. Speculating wildy just contributes to a culture of cheap personal attacks and talking points.

The woman should not be "inquiring" about removing ANY book from public access, period.


So there are no circumstances whatsoever where you can see removing a book from a public library as ethical?

I just think its odd that people find the need to look for the tiniest things to go after Palin for, its not like she is an intellectual giant that you can't take down on issues.
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

Dictator
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:28 am UTC

Re: Surprise: Alaskans dislike Sarah Palin

Postby Dictator » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:15 pm UTC

Top two reasons Alaskans hate Sarah Palin:

1. She quit. We don't like quitters.

2. She makes us look bad. Not all of are that dumb, but she is the most well known Alaskan now.

I would like to point out that Alaska is overwhelmingly Republican. For 58% of us to hate a politician from our state and (probably) party says a lot about our fealings for that woman.

User avatar
EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator
Posts: 2567
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:36 pm UTC
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Surprise: Alaskans dislike Sarah Palin

Postby EsotericWombat » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:50 pm UTC

ka-Snopes

Palin tried to fire the librarian who told her that any attempt to ban books would be rebuffed because she didn't feel she had her "full support"

If that doesn't make your Orwell sense tingle, you ought to get that shit checked out
Image

User avatar
mmmcannibalism
Posts: 2150
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:16 am UTC

Re: Surprise: Alaskans dislike Sarah Palin

Postby mmmcannibalism » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:54 pm UTC

EsotericWombat wrote:ka-Snopes

Palin tried to fire the librarian who told her that any attempt to ban books would be rebuffed because she didn't feel she had her "full support"

If that doesn't make your Orwell sense tingle, you ought to get that shit checked out


Yeah that's rather disturbing.
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

User avatar
podbaydoor
Posts: 7548
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:16 am UTC
Location: spaceship somewhere out there

Re: Surprise: Alaskans dislike Sarah Palin

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:31 pm UTC

But not surprising. She's constantly angry at the "intellectual elite." It makes sense that she'd want to try to control any representation of the branch of knowledge.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.


Return to “News & Articles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests