Aliens land in Jerusalem, lay claim to Dome of the Rock

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Maurog

Aliens land in Jerusalem, lay claim to Dome of the Rock

Postby Maurog » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:26 pm UTC

Or something to that effect.

Short version: On January 28, 2011, a globe of light falls from the sky until it hovers right above the Dome of the Rock, waits for a while, then shoots up, up and away, at unreasonable speed. This is documented by two guys from slightly different angles. Then a third video comes which is then promptly debunked as a hoax. Then a fourth video surfaces which seems to match the first two. Aliens? Secret Military Tech? Hoax? You be the judge:

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/02/02/close ... salem-ufo/

Article transcript:
Spoiler:
Do you like a good UFO mystery? Then try your hand at this one: In the past week, several videos have appeared on the Internet depicting an amazing UFO sequence over the Dome of the Rock, an Islamic shrine, on the Temple Mount in the Old City of Jerusalem.

But are these videos real or faked? It's causing quite an online ruckus as people debate the issue of what really occurred in the early morning on Friday.

The first video that emerged shows a bright object hovering over the Dome of the Rock and slowly descending until it stops above the shrine. After a few moments, there's a flash of light from the area surrounding the religious structure, and the UFO suddenly shoots straight up in the air. When the camera pans up, several red lights or objects can be seen rotating clockwise in the sky.

The interesting thing about this video is the presence of a man in the foreground who is also filming the UFO with a cell phone. And his version of the UFO activity showed up on YouTube the day after the first video.

What seems to help the credibility of these two videos is the fact that they were shot by two different people and at slightly different angles and they reveal the same unusual event.

It's what the skeptics always call for: corroboration.

But then a third video emerged, from a much closer proximity to the Dome of the Rock, showing a close-up of the UFO as it stopped in the air and its subsequent rapid acceleration straight up.

Also, all three videos include the audio reaction of people who witnessed this UFO encounter, especially their responses when the object suddenly shot up in the air.

So what's the problem, you might ask? Here are at least three different videos presented by different people from different angles. Isn't this excellent proof of something extraordinary being documented?

The Dome of the Rock is a major Islamic landmark located at the Temple Mount in Jerusalem. Did cameras capture UFOs appearing over the shrine?
There are some who don't agree. And it seems that the third video -- the close-up one -- is coming under the most skeptical attacks. One analysis suggests that the audio track was, in fact, edited from several different tracks and laid over the video to make it seem as if there were people there.

In addition, there is criticism that this same video isn't even a video -- that it's actually a still photo onto which the UFO was digitally placed. The same critique as above points out that if you look carefully at the so-called video, you'll notice right away that, other than the UFO in question, there is no movement of anything else, i.e. traffic, people, even the twinkling of street lights.

But let's at least try to give this incident some kind of broader context. If any of it sounds even vaguely familiar, it's probably because of another UFO sighting last week in Utah where three red lights were reported and videotaped in the night sky, and these objects were seen dropping bright white flarelike objects to the ground.

With the proliferation of video cams and cell phone cams, sure, there's much more opportunity for people to capture unusual things seen in the sky. Even die-hard skeptics cry out for photographic evidence taken by different people from different angles.

While this Jerusalem sighting certainly meets that criteria, it's not as simple as saying, "See, there's the proof you need. Aliens are visiting us, and we can see it from three angles."

It will most likely be awhile before the Jerusalem UFO story reaches its conclusion -- many more people will be chiming in on YouTube or UFO blogs, picking apart every frame and pixel and shadow and movement in these videos.

And the likely outcome will probably be as it's always been with this subject: no definitive answer will come forward to satisfy everyone.

Unless "they" decide to land on the White House lawn for all to see and are willing to pose for photo ops with any and all camera buffs -- at least those who are able to get past the main gate at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

YouTube time sync of the three "good" videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHSqRKmhQcs

Debunking attempts and discussion at HowStuffWorks:
http://blogs.howstuffworks.com/2011/01/ ... y-28-2011/
Slay the living! Raise the dead! Paint the sky in crimson red!

justaman

Re: Aliens land in Jerusalem, lay claim to Dome of the Rock

Postby justaman » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:34 pm UTC

One word: Collaboration... if you are good with photoshop (or similar) and digital editing, then it shouldn't be a problem to put objects in a slightly different angles and to"luckily" have someone else also filming in your shot... it stinks of a fake to me, without even watching the videos.
Felstaff wrote:"deglove"? I think you may have just conjured the sickest image within my mind since I heard the term "testicle pop".

JBJ

Postby JBJ » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:52 pm UTC

What's missing from this story are the eyewitnesses who didn't film it. If something like this happened over a major city like Jerusalem, the local police and news outlets would have gotten a number of reports from other people who saw it. If their independent description of events backed up the video, then I'd be more inclined to believe it was a real phenomenon. Such as the Phoenix Lights, where a number of people filmed it from different angles as well as hundreds of other people reporting it to the police and the media.

So far, the only people who supposedly saw the UFO are the ones who put up videos.
So, you sacked the cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker?
The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:02 pm UTC

But do the aliens recognise the state of Israel?
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Samsoneffect

Postby Samsoneffect » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:02 pm UTC

This one's already been shown to be a fake; there are a few ways to tell, too. One video debunking it actually had zoomed in close enough to distinguish individual pixels of an LCD screen on the video, as well as the sound having been spliced in (in one of the videos, you hear the audio clip out and then a totally different sound comes in from the one that went out). Additionally, notice how none of the lights except the one pegged as the UFO are twinkling.

Ultimately, this one was a still photo that people added a moving light to.
Most people would post something witty, humourous, or perhaps offensive in their signature. Unfortunately, you won't find anything like this here.

PeterCai

Postby PeterCai » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:05 pm UTC

the true solution to middle-east crisis

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:07 pm UTC

So you really can tell from some of the pixels, and from seeing quite a few fakes in your time?
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:17 pm UTC

So THAT'S why they keep building settlements.

Samsoneffect

Postby Samsoneffect » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:44 pm UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:So you really can tell from some of the pixels, and from seeing quite a few fakes in your time?

The disclaimer here is that I didn't do the actual work, just saw a video posted that showed the work. But I felt like there was something fishy with the sound at first blush, and I kinda conditioned myself to take things like this with a truckload of salt.

Here is the video that takes care of the third view. Not sure how big a fan I am of the comments being disabled; that said, looks like he's done the work.
Most people would post something witty, humourous, or perhaps offensive in their signature. Unfortunately, you won't find anything like this here.

villadelfia

Postby villadelfia » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:52 pm UTC

Samsoneffect wrote:
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:So you really can tell from some of the pixels, and from seeing quite a few fakes in your time?

The disclaimer here is that I didn't do the actual work, just saw a video posted that showed the work. But I felt like there was something fishy with the sound at first blush, and I kinda conditioned myself to take things like this with a truckload of salt.

Here is the video that takes care of the third view. Not sure how big a fan I am of the comments being disabled; that said, looks like he's done the work.

Never enable comments on youtube if you want to retain your sanity.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:51 pm UTC

The dialogue is poorly written "It must be a helicopter, it's not allowed to fly there." Why the hell would you be filming a light that you think is a helicopter?
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Amora

Postby Amora » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:00 am UTC

Everybody's thinking it, I'm just saying it: REPENT!
Bloody Orange lover.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:03 am UTC

I didn't realise the Second Coming would be followed so quickly by the Second Going.

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:24 am UTC

The lights over the temple are extremely unusual, but I'd like to see more evidence than three home-shot videos before we can make a claim as to whether or not it was a UFO.

I mean, UFO sightings have been faked in the past, and it stands to reason that the majority of sightings are a result of factors not related to aliens.
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

Levi

Postby Levi » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:38 am UTC

The thing that looked the most fake to me was the part where it suddenly went oval when it shot up.

Vash

Postby Vash » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:59 am UTC

UFOs exist. They are unidentified secret military airplanes.

Amora wrote:Everybody's thinking it, I'm just saying it: REPENT!

Actually, I don't even know what you are talking about. Not really, at least. It had to be suggested to me, and I still was not sure of what you were saying. Definitely not even part of the thought process.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:02 am UTC

Vash wrote:UFOs exist. They are unidentified secret military airplanes.

THIS, very much. Please remember what UFO stands for, folks. If it's airborne, and you don't know what it is... :P
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:26 am UTC

It's probably just a viral campaign for some big science fiction movie that'll tank.

That, or swamp gas.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:51 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:It's probably just a viral campaign for some big science fiction movie that'll tank.

That, or swamp gas.

Or the Church of Scientology is also laying claim to the Holy Land in order to legitimize itself as a religion. I suppose they feel left out since they never got to have a holy war to recapture it.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:43 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:It's probably just a viral campaign for some big science fiction movie that'll tank.

That, or swamp gas.

Or the Church of Scientology is also laying claim to the Holy Land in order to legitimize itself as a religion. I suppose they feel left out since they never got to have a holy war to recapture it.

Wow, looks like Scientology figured out Middle East peace: unite the Jews and Muslims in hatred of the Scientologist infidel. We can all agree on this!

Also, I don't think we ought to rule out Borg.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:44 am UTC

Personally, I've always felt that we should declare war on Mars in order to secure world peace.
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

Inny Binny

Postby Inny Binny » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:57 am UTC

Been lurking around these forums for a while...

There are four videos, the third is obviously rubbish as nothing else is moving, seems like a bandwagon video.

The other three videos in that synced up version though are quite interesting. Most likely explanation is obviously a collaboration, but interesting nonetheless.

Hate to link to Above Top Secret but some guy 'FlySolo' pointed something out with the Jerusalem weather cam (don't know if this link will work as this is my first post, I'll put a space between):

http://www.above topsecret.com/forum/thread656737/pg79

Lack of eyewitness reports is the biggest problem definitely.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:31 am UTC

Triangle_Man wrote:Personally, I've always felt that we should declare war on Mars in order to secure world peace.

Actually:

letterX

Postby letterX » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:13 am UTC

I was going to post the exact same thing, but was convinced that it existed in some form different from a T-shirt (like, a comic somewhere? Or maybe just an addendum to a comic? Something like that?) so I refrained. Alas. Google returned nothing helpful.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:08 pm UTC

letterX wrote:I was going to post the exact same thing, but was convinced that it existed in some form different from a T-shirt (like, a comic somewhere? Or maybe just an addendum to a comic? Something like that?) so I refrained. Alas. Google returned nothing helpful.

I think most of a softer word's merch is generally unrelated to the actual strips themselves.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:40 pm UTC

Hawknc wrote:I didn't realise the Second Coming would be followed so quickly by the Second Going.

God: Wtf guys, I leave you home for a measly 2 Millennium with the keys to the planet and this is what I come back to? Fuck it, I'm going for a drink.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:34 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:
Triangle_Man wrote:Personally, I've always felt that we should declare war on Mars in order to secure world peace.

Actually:

You mean we're gonna need.... a BIGGER DRILL? >8-D
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

dedwrekka

Postby dedwrekka » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:47 am UTC

In addition, there is criticism that this same video isn't even a video -- that it's actually a still photo onto which the UFO was digitally placed. The same critique as above points out that if you look carefully at the so-called video, you'll notice right away that, other than the UFO in question, there is no movement of anything else, i.e. traffic, people, even the twinkling of street lights.

Third one seems like a hoax (why are they speaking english?), but the 4th one has clearly moving traffic and is from a close angle similar to the 3rd. However, the 3rd one shows the light much closer to the dome than any of the other three, while the 1st, 2nd, and 4th appear to have the light at a relatively similar distance from the temple.

Also, god is clearly trying to perfect the sleeper with his yo-yo

Bright Shadows

Postby Bright Shadows » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:18 am UTC

Xeio wrote:
Hawknc wrote:I didn't realise the Second Coming would be followed so quickly by the Second Going.

God: Wtf guys, I leave you home for a measly 2 Millennium with the keys to the planet and this is what I come back to? Fuck it, I'm going for a drink.

A ball of light, a priest, and a rabbi walk into a bar...

M.C.

Postby M.C. » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:09 am UTC

Bright Shadows wrote:
Xeio wrote:

Prompting an illuminating religious discussion?
Nobody likes Milhouse!

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:56 pm UTC

M.C. wrote:
Bright Shadows wrote:
Xeio wrote:

Prompting an illuminating religious discussion?

No, the Imam declares that the forces of Western Empire are colluding to exclude Arabs and further oppress them with their decadent ways.

userxp

Postby userxp » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:22 pm UTC

I wonder if you could adapt this to work on a bigger scale. No seriously, a few holograms strategically positioned above some religious places claiming to be God and you could provoke some interesting reactions.

That being said, even if we couldn't prove the video to be fake it would still be far too weak evidence to believe in aliens. You need a lot of evidence to accept something that drastically collides with your vision of the world. Even if we had a dozen videos in high definition that show a rock flying rock say "we are aliens and we come to invade earth", it'd be more likely to be viral marketing than to be actual aliens.

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:54 pm UTC

1. Shoot a few minutes of video from each view site, use cell phone calls to and synced watches to line them up time-wise

2. Open video in After Effects, Motion, or whatever you use.

3. Add an oval with some bloom or gaussian blur.

5. Add some flashes

4. Scale vertically as you keyframe it up out of the shot.

JOB DONE!

Anyone with any basic experience in motion graphics or VFX could have faked this in well under a half an hour. Also notice the lack of auto-exposure reactions when it flashes.
Shishichi wrote:Applies a sexward force to counter the sexpression effect that Forward Advection can apply to fluid density, particularly along sextainer boundaries. In this way, the sextribute attempts to conserve the overall fluid volume ensuring no density loss.
(he/him/his)

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:55 am UTC

letterX wrote:I was going to post the exact same thing, but was convinced that it existed in some form different from a T-shirt (like, a comic somewhere? Or maybe just an addendum to a comic? Something like that?) so I refrained. Alas. Google returned nothing helpful.

http://www.asofterworld.com/index.php?id=533

Title Text: Many problems. One solution. No moon by 2030.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Return to “News & Articles”