Japan's new Anime/Manga Restrictions

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Triangle_Man
WINNING
Posts: 1500
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 8:41 pm UTC
Location: CANADA

Japan's new Anime/Manga Restrictions

Postby Triangle_Man » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:03 pm UTC

Now here's an interesting story for you guys to look at.

It appears that Tokyo is attempting to pass a bill that would limit the depiction of sexual acts in Anime and Manga, mainly those that are considered disgusting or morally wrong by society in general (such as 'pedophilia' (for lack of a better term), incest, rape, etc), as well as things such as nudity and apparently 'depictions of homosexuality' and is mainly aimed at material that could be accessed by those under 18 years of age.

The Huffington Post and associated commentators seem to approve of these measures.

Others are calling it tantamount to censorship.

This is the wiki page on the man who is behind this ban, Tokyo governor Shintaro Ishihara, whom has earned the wrath of every single anime/manga fan on the entire internet.

What do you guys think?
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

Spambot5546
Posts: 1466
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:34 pm UTC

Re: Japan's new Anime/Manga Restrictions

Postby Spambot5546 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:10 pm UTC

How is this going to affect tentacle porn?
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

User avatar
Triangle_Man
WINNING
Posts: 1500
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 8:41 pm UTC
Location: CANADA

Re: Japan's new Anime/Manga Restrictions

Postby Triangle_Man » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:12 pm UTC

Spambot5546 wrote:How is this going to affect tentacle porn?


Might get hit by it.

It only really seems to affect material that may be seen by minors, or people 18 years and younger. Anything for an older audience would be fine.
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

User avatar
Sizik
Posts: 1260
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:48 am UTC

Re: Japan's new Anime/Manga Restrictions

Postby Sizik » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:13 pm UTC

Spambot5546 wrote:How is this going to affect tentacle porn?


From the second link he posted:
A post by Brian Ashcraft has clarified some of the details about the bill:
. . .
The bill also does not target material that is 18-years-old and up as that material is already inaccessible to minors.
she/they
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

Glass Fractal
Posts: 497
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 2:53 am UTC

Re: Japan's new Anime/Manga Restrictions

Postby Glass Fractal » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:59 pm UTC

Spambot5546 wrote:How is this going to affect tentacle porn?


It could make it even more bizarre. I've heard that tentacle porn was born out of early Japanese censorship laws.

The Reaper
Posts: 4008
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:37 am UTC
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Contact:

Re: Japan's new Anime/Manga Restrictions

Postby The Reaper » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:17 pm UTC

So no more lolicon, but what are they going to do about the 18yr olds with growth deficiencies?

User avatar
Oregonaut
Posts: 6511
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:58 pm UTC
Location: Oregon

Re: Japan's new Anime/Manga Restrictions

Postby Oregonaut » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:27 pm UTC

Every single loli must now face the camera and state plainly that they are 18 at the time of this scene.

Every hentai will now conveniently take place at the Loli's 18th birthday party.

Every loli will now have a tattoo on their butt saying "I'm 18" on it.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

Glmclain
Posts: 442
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 12:51 pm UTC

Re: Japan's new Anime/Manga Restrictions

Postby Glmclain » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:56 am UTC

Not my hentai! :(
You Samoans are all the same! You have no faith in the essential decency of the white man's culture!

The Reaper
Posts: 4008
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:37 am UTC
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Contact:

Re: Japan's new Anime/Manga Restrictions

Postby The Reaper » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:49 am UTC

"We need more Japanese to be born! We're being overrun by foreigners! We are a dying race!"
"... How about we ban porn?"
"BRILLIANT!"

Bright Shadows
Posts: 645
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:56 pm UTC

Re: Japan's new Anime/Manga Restrictions

Postby Bright Shadows » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:37 am UTC

<.<
It's not a porn ban, guys. Everyone knows that Japan couldn't sustain a ban on their number one export. It's regulating what content can be in an anime or manga for people under 18.

I don't have an inherent problem with the idea, but a some of the things in question are just petty.
Image

User avatar
The Great Hippo
Swans ARE SHARP
Posts: 7368
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:43 am UTC
Location: behind you

Re: Japan's new Anime/Manga Restrictions

Postby The Great Hippo » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:48 am UTC

Triangle_Man wrote:as well as things such as nudity and apparently 'depictions of homosexuality'
It's this part that irritates me. Although I'd need to know more for my irritation to grow to full bloom. Are similar depictions of heterosexuality also banned (and the reference to homosexuality is just a case of people focusing on the wrong words), or is the narrative here that homosexuality is innately more lurid than heterosexuality?

User avatar
Triangle_Man
WINNING
Posts: 1500
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 8:41 pm UTC
Location: CANADA

Re: Japan's new Anime/Manga Restrictions

Postby Triangle_Man » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:35 am UTC

The Great Hippo wrote:
Triangle_Man wrote:as well as things such as nudity and apparently 'depictions of homosexuality'
It's this part that irritates me. Although I'd need to know more for my irritation to grow to full bloom. Are similar depictions of heterosexuality also banned (and the reference to homosexuality is just a case of people focusing on the wrong words), or is the narrative here that homosexuality is innately more lurid than heterosexuality?


I used the term apparently because in at least one of the articles cited, the governor pushing for this bill complained about homosexuals causally appearing on television. I don't know why I put that in, though, as it doesn't appear to be a part of the bill itself. Still, this guy is very, very anti-homosexual in his attitudes, and the wiki gives a full description of some of his more...interesting attitudes.
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Japan's new Anime/Manga Restrictions

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:32 am UTC

The article doesn't seem to mention how this might affect doujin artists. Anyone know whether this legislation applies to doujin artists as well? I think that would be difficult legislation for for random amature artists selling their hentai at comiket to adhere to.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

User avatar
Vash
Posts: 488
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:14 pm UTC
Location: The planet Gunsmoke

Re: Japan's new Anime/Manga Restrictions

Postby Vash » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:13 pm UTC

The bottom line is that it is meaningless at its goal because of the internet, but it will hurt the comic industry.

Sporky McForkinspoon
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:36 pm UTC

Re: Japan's new Anime/Manga Restrictions

Postby Sporky McForkinspoon » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:15 pm UTC

Vash wrote:The bottom line is that it is meaningless at its goal because of the internet, but it will hurt the comic industry.


Not really, I think the point here isn't what will get on the internet, and porn and doujin artists really won't be effected, because, as has been stated repeatedly, this only effects things intended for those under 18. This is far more insidious, as it will primarily effect widely published anime and manga, many of which, particularly when directed toward a teenage audience, have depictions of nudity. Particularly, if the depiction of homosexuality is disallowed... That would have major effects on quite a few mainstream publications. I haven't looked hard enough, would this grandfather in things already in existence? This is pretty terrible, and I hope it doesn't get enacted.

User avatar
thc
Posts: 643
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:01 am UTC

Re: Japan's new Anime/Manga Restrictions

Postby thc » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:30 pm UTC

Glass Fractal wrote:
Spambot5546 wrote:How is this going to affect tentacle porn?


It could make it even more bizarre. I've heard that tentacle porn was born out of early Japanese censorship laws.

You heard wrong. Tentacle porn in japan is centuries old (really)!

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5494
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: Japan's new Anime/Manga Restrictions

Postby KnightExemplar » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:43 pm UTC

thc wrote:
Glass Fractal wrote:
Spambot5546 wrote:How is this going to affect tentacle porn?


It could make it even more bizarre. I've heard that tentacle porn was born out of early Japanese censorship laws.

You heard wrong. Tentacle porn in japan is centuries old (really)!


Citation please. :twisted: </joke joke>
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

User avatar
harpyblues
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:19 am UTC
Location: Chicago

Re: Japan's new Anime/Manga Restrictions

Postby harpyblues » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:47 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:
thc wrote:
Glass Fractal wrote:
Spambot5546 wrote:How is this going to affect tentacle porn?


It could make it even more bizarre. I've heard that tentacle porn was born out of early Japanese censorship laws.

You heard wrong. Tentacle porn in japan is centuries old (really)!


Citation please. :twisted: </joke joke>


Joking or not, google "Dream of the Fisherman's Wife". That was made in the 1700s, dude. Japan's had that shit for ages.

Now, the loli genre was essentially the result of early Japanese censorship laws- since you couldn't show pubic hair. It backfired pretty horrifically for government censors.
michaelandjimi wrote:But these are zombies of cuteness!

User avatar
Vash
Posts: 488
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:14 pm UTC
Location: The planet Gunsmoke

Re: Japan's new Anime/Manga Restrictions

Postby Vash » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:56 pm UTC

Sporky McForkinspoon wrote:Not really, I think the point here isn't what will get on the internet, and porn and doujin artists really won't be effected, because, as has been stated repeatedly, this only effects things intended for those under 18. This is far more insidious, as it will primarily effect widely published anime and manga, many of which, particularly when directed toward a teenage audience, have depictions of nudity. Particularly, if the depiction of homosexuality is disallowed... That would have major effects on quite a few mainstream publications. I haven't looked hard enough, would this grandfather in things already in existence? This is pretty terrible, and I hope it doesn't get enacted.


I see. I did not realize it effected mainstream comics. Yeah, depictions of homosexuality being banned certainly is also a bad thing in itself.

I suppose someone may look for old comics on the internet, but not just because it is banned.

I was not sure that porn was banned for people under 18 in Japan. I thought there was porn marketed to teenagers and even to tweens. Though, with lack of enforcement, they could be purchased even if illegal, I am sure.

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5494
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: Japan's new Anime/Manga Restrictions

Postby KnightExemplar » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:28 am UTC

harpyblues wrote:
KnightExemplar wrote:
thc wrote:
Glass Fractal wrote:
Spambot5546 wrote:How is this going to affect tentacle porn?


It could make it even more bizarre. I've heard that tentacle porn was born out of early Japanese censorship laws.

You heard wrong. Tentacle porn in japan is centuries old (really)!


Citation please. :twisted: </joke joke>


Joking or not, google "Dream of the Fisherman's Wife". That was made in the 1700s, dude. Japan's had that shit for ages.

Now, the loli genre was essentially the result of early Japanese censorship laws- since you couldn't show pubic hair. It backfired pretty horrifically for government censors.


Interesting. I thought it was bukkake that was born out of censorship laws. This is the first time I heard of both tentacle / loli being because of censorship. (tentacle obviously being disproven by your post of course)
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.


Return to “News & Articles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests