Wave of anti-abortion bills advance in the states

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

morriswalters

Re: Wave of anti-abortion bills advance in the states

Postby morriswalters » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:45 pm UTC

Just for clarity when I say remove the desire I don't mean remove the consequences, I mean become asexual. Having a vas just makes it impossible to emit sperm. It doesn't make you not want sex. There are people who don't desire sex.

My point is that, like breathing, the desire is past conscious control for the most part. We do things to take away the consequences or we do damage control when those measures fail. The disincentive of the inconvenience of having children isn't as great as the push to satisfy the biological mechanism to have sex.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:03 pm UTC

No, removing the desire for sex is like removing the desire for meat. It's not like if you go too long without sex you will rape someone, though those people do exist.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:34 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:No, removing the desire for sex is like removing the desire for meat. It's not like if you go too long without sex you will rape someone, though those people do exist.
No, I suppose not.

wumpus

Postby wumpus » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:20 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:And if you remove the reproductive component, they have more if it, according to every religious anti-sex group ever. So obviously, the reproductive portion is generally a disincentive for sex.

I can't help but think that if such groups insisted that the sky was blue I would have to step outside to check. Is there any real data for this?

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:26 pm UTC

I imagine concern over accidental pregnancies is something many people have. Obviously, concerns affect behavior. The question is merely how good of a disincentive it is.

Studies generally show "not very", but...it's the kind of thing that's hard to control for properly, since usually grabbing a population and sterilizing half of them at random is considered "unethical".

Return to “News & Articles”