Osama bin Laden is Dead

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?

Osama bin Laden is Dead

Postby sourmìlk » Mon May 02, 2011 2:51 am UTC

Yes, the Osama. Yes, actually dead.

Take a look

That's all I have so far, TV news announcements. Should get an article soon.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

IcedT

Re: Osama bin Laden is Dead

Postby IcedT » Mon May 02, 2011 2:54 am UTC

AWWWWWWW YEAHHHHHH

Glmclain

Postby Glmclain » Mon May 02, 2011 2:56 am UTC

Hooray! This is fucking monumental, except for the fact it changes nothing :(

Well, at least I have an excuse to drink on a schoolnight.
You Samoans are all the same! You have no faith in the essential decency of the white man's culture!

big boss

Postby big boss » Mon May 02, 2011 2:58 am UTC

pop them champaign bottles
"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothing but the Rain."

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Mon May 02, 2011 2:58 am UTC

Here is an article from some canadian website

I seriously have to get back to my raid.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Mon May 02, 2011 2:59 am UTC

Glmclain wrote:Hooray! This is fucking monumental, except for the fact it changes nothing :(

Yeah, that was basically my first thought.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Mon May 02, 2011 3:01 am UTC

Also, let it be known throughout all time that I, Avi, was the first to let the xkcd fora now that he was dead. I beat jestingrabbit by two minutes.

Yeah, that was basically my first thought.

same

TheStrongest

Postby TheStrongest » Mon May 02, 2011 3:01 am UTC

'MERICA! FUCK YEAH! Mess with us and we'll get you back!

...in about 10 years or so

silvermace

Postby silvermace » Mon May 02, 2011 3:02 am UTC

M.C.

Postby M.C. » Mon May 02, 2011 3:02 am UTC

This would've been important oh, say, 10 years ago. Now it's just some old guy in the desert.
Nobody likes Milhouse!

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Mon May 02, 2011 3:04 am UTC

This is kind of crazy.

I mean, he was the major figure on the world stage, not at least because of his infamy. Of course, I take it his passing doesn't change much?
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Mon May 02, 2011 3:04 am UTC

M.C. wrote:This would've been important oh, say, 10 years ago. Now it's just some old guy in the desert.

Who I have a personal vendetta against. (my dad was a few blocks away from the WTC)

And I thought I was a buzzkill.

Seriously though, maybe it doesn't matter much, but I like to see very evil people get what they deserve
Last edited by sourmìlk on Mon May 02, 2011 3:06 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Mon May 02, 2011 3:06 am UTC

So you're all celebrating that someone was killed. Not brought to trial, not given a chance to answer for his crimes, just off handedly killed in a bomb attack. Whatever happened to being better than the enemy?
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Mon May 02, 2011 3:06 am UTC

I disagree about it not mattering: I suspect stocks are going to have a nice jump from this. No, not for any real logical reason, just because the stock market is weird like that.
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

IcedT

Postby IcedT » Mon May 02, 2011 3:07 am UTC

M.C. wrote:This would've been important oh, say, 10 years ago. Now it's just some old guy in the desert.

Yeah, some old guy in the desert who was a major bastard and one of our mortal enemies. Seriously, cheer the fuck up!

Joeldi wrote:So you're all celebrating that someone was killed. Not brought to trial, not given a chance to answer for his crimes, just off handedly killed in a bomb attack. Whatever happened to being better than the enemy?

FUCK the enemy, that's what happened!
Last edited by IcedT on Mon May 02, 2011 3:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Mon May 02, 2011 3:07 am UTC

Joeldi wrote:So you're all celebrating that someone was killed. Not brought to trial, not given a chance to answer for his crimes, just off handedly killed in a bomb attack. Whatever happened to being better than the enemy?

We didn't kill him by toppling a building carrying thousands of civilians on him, we're better. That said: you don't try every person you're at war with before you kill them. That's not how wars work.

M.C.

Postby M.C. » Mon May 02, 2011 3:07 am UTC

sourmìlk wrote:

Who I have a personal vendetta against. (my dad was a few blocks away from the WTC)

And I thought I was a buzzkill.

I'm not doubting that this is a boost psychologically for the US. It just doesn't do much else. The situation in Iraq does not change, nor is radical Islam dead. Al Qaeda has someone who will take his place.

Also, I don't like the whole partying at someone's death, no matter how monstrously evil they are/were.
Nobody likes Milhouse!

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Mon May 02, 2011 3:08 am UTC

Also, I don't like the whole partying at someone's death, no matter how monstrously evil they are/were.

Normally, sure. But Osama?

M.C.

Postby M.C. » Mon May 02, 2011 3:10 am UTC

sourmìlk wrote:

Normally, sure. But Osama?

I prefer to feel relief for the victims. Relief that justice, in a sense, has been carried out. Bloodlust does not help anyone or anything move on.
Nobody likes Milhouse!

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Mon May 02, 2011 3:11 am UTC

Really this is the only thing I could think off:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWS-FoXbjVI
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Mon May 02, 2011 3:13 am UTC

M.C. wrote:I prefer to feel relief for the victims. Relief that justice, in a sense, has been carried out. Bloodlust does not help anyone or anything move on.

Well obviously that's why I'm happy: justice has been served.

Save Point

Postby Save Point » Mon May 02, 2011 3:13 am UTC

Glmclain wrote:Hooray! This is fucking monumental, except for the fact it changes nothing :(

Well, at least I have an excuse to drink on a schoolnight.

If only it had happened in two weeks. I might crack open a drink anyway while I read about War Powers and wonder if it'll make up for things.
Last edited by Save Point on Mon May 02, 2011 3:13 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon May 02, 2011 3:13 am UTC

I'm not partying over this, but I sure ain't going to waste any sympathy on him.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Mon May 02, 2011 3:14 am UTC

sourmìlk wrote: We didn't kill him by toppling a building carrying thousands of civilians on him, we're better.

I'm not comfortable with this statement, but I'm not sure how to express what I mean, so I'll leave it at that.

That said: you don't try every person you're at war with before you kill them. That's not how wars work.

That's a good point, but you don't also follow up every enemy combatant death with a chorus of "Hoorahs!", unless your life was directly at stake.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

Garm

Postby Garm » Mon May 02, 2011 3:15 am UTC

Does this mean we can leave Afghanistan now?
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

Dark567
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Mon May 02, 2011 3:17 am UTC

Joeldi wrote:That's a good point, but you don't also follow up every enemy combatant death with a chorus of "Hoorahs!", unless your life was directly at stake.

I am perfectly okay with partying when justice is served.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Malt

Postby Malt » Mon May 02, 2011 3:17 am UTC

Good grief, xkcdians. None of you guys waste any time, huh?

IcedT

Postby IcedT » Mon May 02, 2011 3:18 am UTC

Joeldi wrote:
That said: you don't try every person you're at war with before you kill them. That's not how wars work.

That's a good point, but you don't also follow up every enemy combatant death with a chorus of "Hoorahs!", unless your life was directly at stake.
Even when they're the leader and founder of a group that launched an unprovoked attack against a civilian target in your country? This isn't the same as celebrating some poor drafted grunt's death, this is a guy who has made an ideological stance of murdering my people and undermining their ideals and institutions. There are no reservations to my satisfaction at him being removed from this world.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Mon May 02, 2011 3:19 am UTC

Joeldi wrote:
sourmìlk wrote: We didn't kill him by toppling a building carrying thousands of civilians on him, we're better.

I'm not comfortable with this statement, but I'm not sure how to express what I mean, so I'll leave it at that.

The point is that this guy targeted civilians to kill him by the thousands. Us not doing that makes us better than him.

No, but you follow up the death of the leader of said combatants with a chorus of "Hoorah!" If I were alive in '45 you would have seen my cheering when Hitler died.

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Mon May 02, 2011 3:20 am UTC

Joeldi wrote:

The first statement is true, though. Glee at a mass murderer's death is hardly morally equivalent to mass murder. It doesn't somehow bring people to his level. It's morbid, but it's basically impossible to even compare the two without being hyperbolic. They're not in the same galaxy in terms of moral weight.

I mean, jesus, implying that the people feeling glee are no better than Osama? What the fuck?

(And we don't celebrate every enemy combatant's death, but this is hardly a random enemy combatant. Because this thread should just be Godwinned early to get it over with, there's a difference between celebrating private Hans' death and celebrating Adolf HItler's.)

Damn, I have been pre-Godwinned by sourmilk. I am shamed.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Mon May 02, 2011 3:22 am UTC

Oh come on, it's not a Godwin if you're comparing fucking Osama to Hitler.

EDIT: added the word "fucking" for emphasis.

hanecter

Postby hanecter » Mon May 02, 2011 3:22 am UTC

I have a problem with any human being saying that another deserves to die.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Mon May 02, 2011 3:24 am UTC

hanecter wrote:I have a problem with any human being saying that another deserves to die.

In an ultimate, spiritual/moral/religious/philosophical sense, maybe. In a more immediate, practical sense, someone who is willing to kill a large number of people who have done them no harm, merely out of an innate sense of hatred, is someone the world is most likely better off without.
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

Dark567

Postby Dark567 » Mon May 02, 2011 3:26 am UTC

So he was hiding in a Mansion? Not a cave? Odd.

existentialpanda

Postby existentialpanda » Mon May 02, 2011 3:26 am UTC

I believe this is called for. :P

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Mon May 02, 2011 3:26 am UTC

Aikanaro wrote:
hanecter wrote:I have a problem with any human being saying that another deserves to die.

In an ultimate, spiritual/moral/religious/philosophical sense, maybe. In a more immediate, practical sense, someone who is willing to kill a large number of people who have done them no harm, merely out of an innate sense of hatred, is someone the world is most likely better off without.

Those are different statements though. I mean, I actually do find the idea that other people deserve death or suffering rather distasteful. But Osama is also certainly someone that the world is better off without.

Not that it really means much, now.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Mon May 02, 2011 3:27 am UTC

Tell that to Osama.

Wait, too late.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Mon May 02, 2011 3:28 am UTC

I wish he were put to trial first, but at the same time I know it would be a kangaroo court anyway. If you're going to kill the guy, you might as well be straightforward about it and not also make a mockery of the justice system in the process.

On a different note, was there any strategic benefit to killing him at this point? Or was it just a revenge / morale thing?

KingofMadCows

Postby KingofMadCows » Mon May 02, 2011 3:28 am UTC

Is President Obama waiting to interrupt Trump's show to make his statement? It's like a double layered ice cream cake of irony for Obama.

IcedT

Postby IcedT » Mon May 02, 2011 3:33 am UTC

I don't think any human being can say anything in an ultimate moral sense, but I would argue that when someone demonstrates a serious intent to murder indiscriminately, anyone with the strength to do so has something close to a moral imperative to get rid of the guy.

You can be a conscientious objector or a pacifist or whatever you like, but the reality is that you only have the luxury of those beliefs because somebody else is doing the killing and dying for you. Strength makes all other values possible.

Return to “News & Articles”