Wasilla HS bans Bohemian Rhapsody b/c written by a gay man

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

sje46

Wasilla HS bans Bohemian Rhapsody b/c written by a gay man

Postby sje46 » Fri May 13, 2011 2:18 pm UTC

http://www.frontiersman.com/articles/20 ... 524721.txt
WHS choir, school caught in landslide over Queen song

By K.T. McKee
Frontiersman
WASILLA — When members of Wasilla High School’s symphonic jazz choir heard Friday it wouldn’t be singing the popular Queen hit “Bohemian Rhapsody” at this year’s graduation ceremony after working on it all year, the students couldn’t get their heads around it.

WHS Principal Dwight Probasco reportedly had received complaints from at least one parent that the 1975 hit written by Freddie Mercury wasn’t appropriate for the ceremony simply because Mercury was gay.

“The whole thing was just ridiculous,” senior Rachel Clark said Monday. “They’d played the song on the school intercom and we played it at prom. It’s a great song and the choir was really excited to be singing it. And the senior class felt like it defined them.”

Choir member Casey Hight, a junior, was angry enough to contact a gay and lesbian support organization in Anchorage for help. They told her to contact an attorney at the American Civil Liberties Union.

“I felt like the school was discriminating for sexual orientation and I felt it was wrong,” Hight said Monday. “It’s so stupid because there’s nothing sexual in the song. There aren’t even any cuss words.”

Although Probasco wouldn’t comment on the issue Monday, Senior Class Advisor Deb Haynes said Probasco has now agreed to allow the choir to sing an edited version of Bohemian Rhapsody that doesn’t include lyrics in one section about killing a man.

“The kids had put a lot of time into the song, but at graduation we really try to accommodate anything that might be a sensitive issue for anybody,” Haynes said, adding she didn’t understand why the song would have been a problem in the first place. “I’ve heard it a hundred times and it’s never bothered me.”

Hight said she believes Probasco decided to put the song back on the graduation program because he didn’t want any problems with the ACLU.

Clark said it didn’t make sense for the school district to tout tolerance for all and then turn around and allow homophobia to dictate something such as graduation music.

“We were joking about singing Elton John’s ‘Candle in the Wind,’ instead,” Clark said. “I guess no matter what you do, someone’s feathers are going to get ruffled.”

Clark said she’s glad the choir will be able to sing the song after all, because several of the singers have solos.

“The whole attitude of the song just seems to fit our class,” she said.

Contact K.T. McKee at kate.mckee@frontiersman.com or 352-2252.

If anyone didn't know, Wasilla is the town Sarah Palin is from/was mayor of.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

podbaydoor

Re: Wasilla HS bans Bohemian Rhapsody b/c written by a gay m

Postby podbaydoor » Fri May 13, 2011 2:32 pm UTC

At least it seems like the complainant was an extreme minority. Everyone else is appropriately baffled and indignant. Some refreshing sentiments expressed by the students and teachers.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School

Postby Radical_Initiator » Fri May 13, 2011 2:38 pm UTC

No "Bohemian Rhapsody"? Fine, how about a rousing rendition of the Samwell classic "What What (In the Butt)"?
I looked out across the river today …

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri May 13, 2011 2:48 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:Although Probasco wouldn’t comment on the issue Monday, Senior Class Advisor Deb Haynes said Probasco has now agreed to allow the choir to sing an edited version of Bohemian Rhapsody that doesn’t include lyrics in one section about killing a man.

Uh so someone complained that the song was written by a gay man and the compromise was to not include the section about killing a man. What?

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri May 13, 2011 2:56 pm UTC

They gots to enforce their MORALS somehow.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Fri May 13, 2011 2:58 pm UTC

Chen wrote:
sje46 wrote:Although Probasco wouldn’t comment on the issue Monday, Senior Class Advisor Deb Haynes said Probasco has now agreed to allow the choir to sing an edited version of Bohemian Rhapsody that doesn’t include lyrics in one section about killing a man.

Uh so someone complained that the song was written by a gay man and the compromise was to not include the section about killing a man. What?

I think the edit was probably there all along, it's just Bad..err..Typical Journalism that mentions it at that point in the article.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Fri May 13, 2011 3:55 pm UTC

Chen wrote:

I'm assuming this was some sort of face-saving gesture by the school. It's a pretty stupid one, but that's all I can figure.

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Fri May 13, 2011 3:59 pm UTC

Spoiler:
LaserGuy wrote:
Chen wrote:

I'm assuming this was some sort of face-saving gesture by the school. It's a pretty stupid one, but that's all I can figure.

Theory A. the school really removed it because of this edit they were going to make and it somehow got out that a parent had complained about the singer

Theory B. the school removed it because of bullshit, but later made this edit in accordance with reasonable* policy.

*I don't know the song or lyrics so not sure if it was necessarily reasonable.
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Fri May 13, 2011 4:12 pm UTC

mmmcannibalism wrote:
Spoiler:
LaserGuy wrote:
Chen wrote:

Theory A. the school really removed it because of this edit they were going to make and it somehow got out that a parent had complained about the singer

Theory B. the school removed it because of bullshit, but later made this edit in accordance with reasonable* policy.

"Mamma, Just Killed a man
Put a gun against his head
Pulled my trigger, now he's dead."

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that part was edited out of the school-approved version long before the 'written by a gay' thing happened. I doubt there's many schools that would let that line be sung at graduation.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Fri May 13, 2011 4:26 pm UTC

Radical_Initiator wrote:No "Bohemian Rhapsody"? Fine, how about a rousing rendition of the Samwell classic "What What (In the Butt)"?

Personally I'd be going for "Bobby Brown [Goes Down]" from Zappa's 'Sheik Yerbooti' as it has lyrics to offend the sensibilities of just about every social grouping I can think of (but all of them will offend social conservatives).
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri May 13, 2011 4:29 pm UTC

Good thing too; I hear if you hear the music of the gays you can catch it. The gay.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Fri May 13, 2011 4:35 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:“I felt like the school was discriminating for sexual orientation and I felt it was wrong,” Hight said Monday. “It’s so stupid because there’s nothing sexual in the song. There aren’t even any cuss words.”

I would submit that "scaramouche" is probably a cuss word.

More seriously, the song also invokes the name of the devil. I bet you a nickle that line isn't sung by the time the graduation ceremony rolls around.

jules.LT

Postby jules.LT » Fri May 13, 2011 4:38 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Good thing too; I hear if you hear the music of the gays you can catch it. The gay.

There was a movie about this.
A teacher is called gay by a former student on TV, and in the end it turns out that all of the school has turned gay. Powerful stuff.
Last edited by jules.LT on Fri May 13, 2011 4:40 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Bertrand Russell wrote:Not to be absolutely certain is, I think, one of the essential things in rationality.
Richard Feynman & many others wrote:Keep an open mind – but not so open that your brain falls out

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Fri May 13, 2011 4:39 pm UTC

Tirian wrote:I would submit that "scaramouche" is probably a cuss word.

Actually he's singing 'scary moose'. It's a reference to Sarah Palin.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri May 13, 2011 4:48 pm UTC

Tirian wrote:I would submit that "scaramouche" is probably a cuss word.
Nope.

Anyway, whoever complained seems to have done a counterproductive. They took something that wasn't about sexuality at all, and convinced a bunch of people to get really active about it. On the pro-gay side.

Keep up the good work?
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Maurog

Postby Maurog » Fri May 13, 2011 8:18 pm UTC

I think whoever thought of this stupid idea should stop using any and all devices powered by an alternating-current generator invented by gay Nicola Tesla.
Slay the living! Raise the dead! Paint the sky in crimson red!

IcedT

Postby IcedT » Fri May 13, 2011 8:48 pm UTC

Maurog wrote:I think whoever thought of this stupid idea should stop using any and all devices powered by an alternating-current generator invented by gay Nicola Tesla.

Tesla was gay?

*The more you know...*

WaterToFire

Postby WaterToFire » Fri May 13, 2011 8:52 pm UTC

What I've read has stated that as a possibility, but as far as I know there isn't really much evidence of him having any sexuality at all.

sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?

Postby sourmìlk » Fri May 13, 2011 9:16 pm UTC

Maurog wrote:I think whoever thought of this stupid idea should stop using any and all devices powered by an alternating-current generator invented by gay Nicola Tesla.

And I'm sure they don't use computers or logical circuits of any kind, as they're modeled after the Turing machine which was invented by a gay man.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

dumbzebra

Postby dumbzebra » Sat May 14, 2011 11:09 am UTC

They should sing "Cocaberra sits on an old gum tree" just to fuck with the parents.
As the great philosopher Socrates once said: "No."

aldonius

Postby aldonius » Sat May 14, 2011 11:20 am UTC

Cocaberra

You possibly refer to the kookaburra?

EDIT: song

dumbzebra

Postby dumbzebra » Sat May 14, 2011 11:26 am UTC

Yeah, was too lazy to actually spell check. In my defense: me no speak no americano
As the great philosopher Socrates once said: "No."

aldonius

Postby aldonius » Sat May 14, 2011 11:29 am UTC

Haha, me no speak Americano either. English (Australian variant, hence the catch) for the win :)

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Sat May 14, 2011 12:03 pm UTC

WaterToFire wrote:What I've read has stated that as a possibility, but as far as I know there isn't really much evidence of him having any sexuality at all.

I figure he was probably a Robosexual... I mean look at how much time he spent with electromechanical devices!
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Sat May 14, 2011 3:27 pm UTC

IIRC he was fond of pigeons. When his favorite one died he was devestated.

wtspman

Postby wtspman » Sat May 14, 2011 8:14 pm UTC

mmmcannibalism wrote:
Spoiler:
LaserGuy wrote:
Chen wrote:

I am in favour of the idea that this was a face-saving move by the school to avoid looking like total dicks. I bet if the students had chosen to sing another song with a repentant killer as the narrator, but written by a straight man (e.g. Fulsom Prison Blues, or the Green Green Grass of Home) there would have been no controversy, and no alteration of the lyrics.

legopelle

Postby legopelle » Sat May 14, 2011 9:09 pm UTC

Sockmonkey wrote:IIRC he was fond of pigeons. When his favorite one died he was devestated.

Who wouldn't be?
The Reaper wrote:I'm still fine with people having reactors, and still against them weaponizing the leftovers.

Walter Bishop wrote:Why would anyone kill a scientist? What have we ever done?

sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?

Postby sourmìlk » Sat May 14, 2011 9:11 pm UTC

legopelle wrote:
Sockmonkey wrote:IIRC he was fond of pigeons. When his favorite one died he was devestated.

Who wouldn't be?

Lisa Simpson.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Return to “News & Articles”