In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Decker
Posts: 2071
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:22 pm UTC
Location: Western N.Y.

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Decker » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:57 pm UTC

DSenette wrote:a man packing a dozen peckers in his pants. apparently a dutch fellow tried to smuggle a bunch of humming birds on a plane in his underwear......this seems less than comfortable

I feel worse for the hummingbirds.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

DSenette
Posts: 2418
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:08 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby DSenette » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:10 pm UTC

Decker wrote:
DSenette wrote:a man packing a dozen peckers in his pants. apparently a dutch fellow tried to smuggle a bunch of humming birds on a plane in his underwear......this seems less than comfortable

I feel worse for the hummingbirds.

i do as well...but still....youch
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

User avatar
rigwarl
Posts: 759
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:36 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby rigwarl » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:21 pm UTC


Falling
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:30 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Falling » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:33 pm UTC



Oooh, it's always terrifying when I agree with the Republicans on anything..

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School
Posts: 1374
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:39 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Radical_Initiator » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:48 pm UTC

Falling wrote:


Oooh, it's always terrifying when I agree with the Republicans on anything..


I know! I actually agree with the basic idea, but not in the same way they do, though, so I feel slightly better.
I looked out across the river today …

Falling
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:30 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Falling » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:14 pm UTC

Radical_Initiator wrote:
Falling wrote:


Oooh, it's always terrifying when I agree with the Republicans on anything..


I know! I actually agree with the basic idea, but not in the same way they do, though, so I feel slightly better.


Yea, I guess I can take solace in that... still makes me feel kinda dirty though.

User avatar
podbaydoor
Posts: 7548
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:16 am UTC
Location: spaceship somewhere out there

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:15 pm UTC

'Cept they're railing against an outdated notion of affirmative action and ignoring that it existed in the first place because minorities were being screwed out of cupcakes, period, for a very long time. Yeah, the issue is more complex now, but it is a real fact that blacks and Hispanics and Native Americans (especially on reservations) are still being screwed out of cupcakes more systemically than whites are. Metaphorically speaking.

It would be more accurate if they drew a circle around their cupcake table and labeled it "college." Then, outside the circle, there are more cupcake vendors with the same prices for everyone, and the only way to get cupcakes is to get a job with a different cupcake vendor, only there are screening processes for getting a cupcake job and if you have the wrong name or wrong face you'll be turned away more often for cupcake jobs, and if you do get a cupcake job you're less likely to be promoted to higher cupcake jobs, so you'll be stuck with the crappy discount cupcakes on the other side of the plaza.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

User avatar
Dauric
Posts: 3989
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:58 pm UTC
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Dauric » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:47 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:'Cept they're railing against an outdated notion of affirmative action and ignoring that it existed in the first place because minorities were being screwed out of cupcakes, period, for a very long time. Yeah, the issue is more complex now, but it is a real fact that blacks and Hispanics and Native Americans (especially on reservations) are still being screwed out of cupcakes more systemically than whites are. Metaphorically speaking.

It would be more accurate if they drew a circle around their cupcake table and labeled it "college." Then, outside the circle, there are more cupcake vendors with the same prices for everyone, and the only way to get cupcakes is to get a job with a different cupcake vendor, only there are screening processes for getting a cupcake job and if you have the wrong name or wrong face you'll be turned away more often for cupcake jobs, and if you do get a cupcake job you're less likely to be promoted to higher cupcake jobs, so you'll be stuck with the crappy discount cupcakes on the other side of the plaza.


Clearly this is a plot of the Cupcake Lobby.

(Yeah, I'm tired enough to think cupcake metaphors of most anything are terribly funny at the moment. Probably won't get better for a month or so.)
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School
Posts: 1374
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:39 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Radical_Initiator » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:58 pm UTC

Dauric wrote:
podbaydoor wrote:'Cept they're railing against an outdated notion of affirmative action and ignoring that it existed in the first place because minorities were being screwed out of cupcakes, period, for a very long time. Yeah, the issue is more complex now, but it is a real fact that blacks and Hispanics and Native Americans (especially on reservations) are still being screwed out of cupcakes more systemically than whites are. Metaphorically speaking.

It would be more accurate if they drew a circle around their cupcake table and labeled it "college." Then, outside the circle, there are more cupcake vendors with the same prices for everyone, and the only way to get cupcakes is to get a job with a different cupcake vendor, only there are screening processes for getting a cupcake job and if you have the wrong name or wrong face you'll be turned away more often for cupcake jobs, and if you do get a cupcake job you're less likely to be promoted to higher cupcake jobs, so you'll be stuck with the crappy discount cupcakes on the other side of the plaza.


Clearly this is a plot of the Cupcake Lobby.

(Yeah, I'm tired enough to think cupcake metaphors of most anything are terribly funny at the moment. Probably won't get better for a month or so.)


So this is what Project Brilliant Sprinkles has come to, has it?

I'm definitely not going to argue that blacks, Hispanics and Native Americans have been and are still being screwed; as you said, it's fact. But how do we change it? Try to screw it the other way? Sure, that's easy, and because it's a social problem leading to economic and other problems, an easy solution is guaranteed to work, right?
I looked out across the river today …

User avatar
podbaydoor
Posts: 7548
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:16 am UTC
Location: spaceship somewhere out there

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:18 pm UTC

Affirmative action does not automatically mean "screwing the other way." In some incarnations, it does (I won't pretend that it's flawlessly executed). But in other incarnations, it succeeds better at compensating for historical and current systemic problems that aren't always immediately obvious to the people outside the program.

As a Chinese descendent, I'm arguably even more outside affirmative action programs than white people are. However, I recognize that I had several natural advantages: 1) model minority stereotype means I'm not as likely to be turned down for jobs and merit scholarship applications as blacks and Hispanics are, 2) I descended from a culture that systemically encourages education, so it was a given that my parents would boost my education, 3) many East Asian immigrants come to America already educated and qualified for white-collar jobs, 4) I do not exist in a culture that tells me at every turn that I will inevitably fail (see: model minority).

All of these boost a child's education and bankability in enormous ways right from infancy. This is the most important thing: affirmative action programs at the college level are about 18 years too late for a child to correct for systemic race and cultural disparities. Blacks, Hispanics, and south Asians (especially refugees) do not have the advantages that I had: my parents had the time and ability to teach me to read at age 3, instead of a public school teaching me in 2nd grade, and that meant my brain was going to absorb language faster and I'd learn faster and that's a huge advantage that only compounds over the course of years. And that's just one of the multipliers that I can think of off the top of my head - and these multipliers are very much tied to the way race and economic classes are treated together. By the time you get to college level, those minorities who are being "charged less" have already been eating subpar and discount cupcakes for years.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

User avatar
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...
Posts: 8337
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:57 pm UTC
Location: Soviet Canuckistan

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Jessica » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:53 pm UTC

A reply to the above article. I didn't write it.

Spoiler:
Here's a fun idea for a cookie sale:

UC Berkeley student senators voted Sunday to condemn discriminatory behavior on campus - even if done in satire - in response to a Republican student group's plans for an "Increase Diversity Bake Sale," with pastries labeled according to race and gender.
The 19-0 vote, with one absence, came during a special meeting of the Associated Students of the University of California, as the debate over affirmative action reignited in Berkeley.

...

The bake sale - which the Berkeley College Republicans still plan to hold Tuesday - is an effort to denounce a bill now on Gov. Jerry Brown's desk that would allow the University of California and California State University to consider race, ethnicity and gender in student admissions.

...


The Republicans' posting describes five price levels for their bake sale, with pastries described as "White/Caucasian" going for $2, "Asian/American American" for $1.50, "Latino/Hispanic" for $1, "Black/African American" for 75 cents, and "Native American" for a quarter. A 25-cent discount is offered for women.
"If you don't come, you're a racist," the post declares.

Hmmm. Here are my most obvious thoughts on all this:

First, explicit consideration of gender in admissions would probably benefit men, not women, if such considerations are applied to general admissions. This is because women are currently the majority in the university system. That suggests the 25-cent discount should be given to men.

Second, the White/Caucasian category actually benefits under the current admission policies. If the policies were based on nothing but test scores and grades, the California higher education system would take in more Asian-Americans and less from all other ethnic groups, including whites. I grant that most people don't know that whites benefit under the current admission rules. Nevertheless, the price for Asian-Americans should be higher than the price for whites.

Third, what about all the other groups who get "preferential" treatment in admissions? What about athletes, with their scholarships? What about children of the alumni? What about the so-called development cases, the children of very rich parents? How much would they pay for their pastries at this bake sale? A few in these groups get free lifetime pastries.

Finally, and most importantly, comparing higher education admissions to buying pastries fails on several levels.

The most obvious one is that in terms of that bake sale some buyers only have 25 cents, some only have a dollar, and so on. If all the pastries are priced at 2 dollars, then only those who have 2 dollars can buy them. This could be handled through considerations of family income in admissions.

But acquiring a college education is not like eating a pastry. We can all do the latter. Universities test people to see if they can do the former. It's more like selecting people to BAKE the pastries and THEN eat them, and what is used as the signals of the students' abilities ARE affected by their past training.

That, in turn, is affected by their family background, the quality of their schools and their family income. Ethnicity and race, when used in combination with income measures, can capture some of those past training differences. Ignoring them completely will make the system give precedence to those who had most help earlier on, even if their future potential is limited.

One might also argue that having a diverse student body has wider societal benefits. It's a bit like trying to avoid a world where bakeries have nothing but apple pie on their shelves.
-----
I have not read the new bill so I cannot comment on the changes it proposes. This post is about the bake sale, not about the bill itself.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School
Posts: 1374
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:39 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Radical_Initiator » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:00 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Affirmative action does not automatically mean "screwing the other way." In some incarnations, it does (I won't pretend that it's flawlessly executed). But in other incarnations, it succeeds better at compensating for historical and current systemic problems that aren't always immediately obvious to the people outside the program.

As a Chinese descendent, I'm arguably even more outside affirmative action programs than white people are. However, I recognize that I had several natural advantages: 1) model minority stereotype means I'm not as likely to be turned down for jobs and merit scholarship applications as blacks and Hispanics are, 2) I descended from a culture that systemically encourages education, so it was a given that my parents would boost my education, 3) many East Asian immigrants come to America already educated and qualified for white-collar jobs, 4) I do not exist in a culture that tells me at every turn that I will inevitably fail (see: model minority).

All of these boost a child's education and bankability in enormous ways right from infancy. This is the most important thing: affirmative action programs at the college level are about 18 years too late for a child to correct for systemic race and cultural disparities. Blacks, Hispanics, and south Asians (especially refugees) do not have the advantages that I had: my parents had the time and ability to teach me to read at age 3, instead of a public school teaching me in 2nd grade, and that meant my brain was going to absorb language faster and I'd learn faster and that's a huge advantage that only compounds over the course of years. And that's just one of the multipliers that I can think of off the top of my head - and these multipliers are very much tied to the way race and economic classes are treated together. By the time you get to college level, those minorities who are being "charged less" have already been eating subpar and discount cupcakes for years.


I think you're absolutely right. And I'm not convinced that including race as part of the admissions process will necessarily lead to reverse discrimination of the sort that some conservatives seem to think it must. I would still disagree with the CA senate bill in question, however, because race, religion, sexual orientation (remember the talk about Elmhurst College including it on their apps) shouldn't have a place in deciding who gets into a school. Then again, I think of what would happen if admissions policies removed all reference to ethnicity, religion, sexual preference, etc. - going even so far as to remove names (Hey, this kid's named Chang - better let him into the Engineering College!), addresses (Oh, Smith here lives in Bel-Air? His parents must be loaded), and anything else that might give socioeconomic information - and forced admissions committees to look solely at academic records. Even then, we've still failed, exactly for the reasons you mention. Underfunded schools, uninterested parents, undeveloped academic activities in the neighborhoods, general apathy - all of it means some groups are disadvantaged before they leave the cradle. But is there any way to really filter for that? We don't share similar ethnic backgrounds, but our parents at least shared similar philosophies on teaching us to read. It would seem it put us well ahead of our contemporaries. As much as people seem to think race is tied to that, however, it need not be.

I may be rambling. The basic point: you're absolutely right when you say such programs at the college level are much too late. In this case, is compensating 18 years after the fact really going to arrive at a better outcome? Or does it absolutely have to start earlier, and when we try to compensate later, is it possible we're doing more harm than good in getting it to that point?

Edit:
Jessica wrote:A reply to the above article. I didn't write it.


I can't help but realize the reply you posted is most likely right in the practical aspects of race/gender/socioeconomic discrimination. Some people thought that when America elected a black President, we would be in some sort of "post-racial society". Are we? Of course not. The only time we will be is when no one asks the question. How do we get there sooner?
I looked out across the river today …

adho
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:21 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby adho » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:45 am UTC

None of this is humorous!
(Though I am kind of shocked by this proposed law. Doesn't America have a Bill of Rights precisely so things like this don't happen?)

I was eating bugs before it was cool.

User avatar
Iulus Cofield
WINNING
Posts: 2917
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:31 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Iulus Cofield » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:40 am UTC

Bugs make sense. No reason to pass on a good source of nutrition.

KittenKaboodle
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:36 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby KittenKaboodle » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:08 am UTC

adho wrote:None of this is humorous!
(Though I am kind of shocked by this proposed law. Doesn't America have a Bill of Rights precisely so things like this don't happen?)

I was eating bugs before it was cool.


By Bill of Rights do you mean the first ten ammendments to The Constitution Of The United States Of America? or some other Bill of Rights? (you did say "America" so I guess the former)

Certianly not, note for example the 13th amendment, ratifed 3 score and 14 years after the Bill of Rights.
Well, the 13th is probably not a great example, because it also phrohibited white, asian, native american, etc slaves, Probaly the 15th and 19th amendments are more realvent, the fact that they were needed ilustrates shortcomings ofthe "Bill of Rights"

However, the link the OP (of this sub-topic) provided says:
"If signed into law, S.B. 185 would be in direct opposition to Proposition 209, also known as the California Civil Rights Initiative, a ballot proposition approved in 1996 that amended the state's constitution to prohibit public institutions from considering race, sex or ethnicity during the admissions process."
So apperently the California Constitution (as amended) does phrohibit "things like this"

adho
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:21 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby adho » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:30 am UTC

KittenKaboodle wrote:By Bill of Rights do you mean the first ten ammendments to The Constitution Of The United States Of America? or some other Bill of Rights? (you did say "America" so I guess the former)

I have always heard Bill of Rights used to mean, collectively, the first ten.
Certianly not, note for example the 13th amendment, ratifed 3 score and 14 years after the Bill of Rights.
Well, the 13th is probably not a great example, because it also phrohibited white, asian, native american, etc slaves, Probaly the 15th and 19th amendments are more realvent, the fact that they were needed ilustrates shortcomings ofthe "Bill of Rights"

To be honest, I had kind of assumed anti-discrimination law would be contained within a bill of rights.
I am hardly well versed in American law.
However, the link the OP (of this sub-topic) provided says:
"If signed into law, S.B. 185 would be in direct opposition to Proposition 209, also known as the California Civil Rights Initiative, a ballot proposition approved in 1996 that amended the state's constitution to prohibit public institutions from considering race, sex or ethnicity during the admissions process."
So apperently the California Constitution (as amended) does phrohibit "things like this"

Hum. The things you find out.
It just seems entirely foreign to me, Australia has federal anti-discrimination law, I've never thought of it as a state issue.

User avatar
broken_escalator
They're called stairs
Posts: 3312
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:49 am UTC
Location: _| ̄|○

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:18 pm UTC

Radical_Initiator wrote:
Dauric wrote:
podbaydoor wrote:It would be more accurate if they drew a circle around their cupcake table and labeled it "college." Then, outside the circle, there are more cupcake vendors with the same prices for everyone, and the only way to get cupcakes is to get a job with a different cupcake vendor, only there are screening processes for getting a cupcake job and if you have the wrong name or wrong face you'll be turned away more often for cupcake jobs, and if you do get a cupcake job you're less likely to be promoted to higher cupcake jobs, so you'll be stuck with the crappy discount cupcakes on the other side of the plaza.


Clearly this is a plot of the Cupcake Lobby.

(Yeah, I'm tired enough to think cupcake metaphors of most anything are terribly funny at the moment. Probably won't get better for a month or so.)


So this is what Project Brilliant Sprinkles has come to, has it?

Will the cupcake lobby stop at nothing to achieve their goals?! Truly vengence will be ichy-sweet, like their frosting.
Spoiler:
tumblr_lp2vx4WUJg1qaod8z.jpg
tumblr_lp2vx4WUJg1qaod8z.jpg (19.33 KiB) Viewed 6719 times

User avatar
buddy431
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:21 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby buddy431 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:39 pm UTC

Man Survives 6 days after driving off of cliff

I suspect there's more to the story than what's initially being reported - there's apparently another car that also went off the road, whose occupant didn't survive. It's not really clear at the moment where this guy was going, or anything.
Gellert1984 wrote:Also, bomb president CIA al qaeda JFK twin towers jupiter moon martians [s]emtex.

User avatar
broken_escalator
They're called stairs
Posts: 3312
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:49 am UTC
Location: _| ̄|○

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:43 pm UTC

I think it's pretty obvious... he was going off the cliff. :wink:

User avatar
Inglonias
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:54 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Inglonias » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:19 pm UTC

'America the Beautiful' accompanies China rocket launch.

... What?

Spoiler:
China's state TV accompanied coverage of the historic launch of the country's first space laboratory with a patriotic US song, America the Beautiful.

The song is regarded by many as an unofficial national anthem for the US, and features the line: "America! America! God shed his grace on thee."

Some Chinese people say that CCTV must have made a mistake with the music. The broadcaster has not commented.

Millions watched the take-off of Tiangong-1 on Thursday.

Viewers of CCTV were treated to a minute-long animation set to the American song.

The video features only the music from the song and not the lyrics.

"At the time, I was eating in a hotel with foreigners from an American company and Chinese clients and we were watching the live broadcast," posted one user on Sina Weibo, China's equivalent of Twitter.

"All the Chinese there wanted to disappear."

The song was composed by a New York church organist in 1882, and has long been a favourite of US patriots.

It has been proposed as a replacement for Star-Spangled Banner as the US national anthem.

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 10495
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby CorruptUser » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:57 am UTC

NYPD has fashion police. That one is actually more sad than humorous. Basically, the NYPD is telling women to cover up so they don't get raped.

Image

User avatar
Iulus Cofield
WINNING
Posts: 2917
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:31 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Iulus Cofield » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:01 am UTC

I dunno. In normal circumstances I agree with you, but if there's a serial rapist on the loose, I don't see how this is different from advising people to not hitchhike when there's a known serial killer targeting hitchhikers. As the article points out, the police aren't arresting people or anything, just warning them that they fit the pattern of victims. I'd like to know if I was a likely target for any kind of violent crime.

User avatar
buddy431
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:21 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby buddy431 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:25 am UTC

The CIA opporative who created an international incident when he shot and killed two men in Pakistan is now facing charges in Colorado when he got in a fight over a parking spot.

At least he didn't have a gun this time.
Gellert1984 wrote:Also, bomb president CIA al qaeda JFK twin towers jupiter moon martians [s]emtex.

User avatar
Triangle_Man
WINNING
Posts: 1500
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 8:41 pm UTC
Location: CANADA

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Triangle_Man » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:33 am UTC

buddy431 wrote:The CIA opporative who created an international incident when he shot and killed two men in Pakistan is now facing charges in Colorado when he got in a fight over a parking spot.

At least he didn't have a gun this time.


Sooner or later, Karma's gonna come back and bit you in the ass, especially when you act like one.

No exceptions.
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:55 am UTC

I wish that were true, but I've seen too many shits not get what's coming to them.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?
Posts: 6393
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:53 pm UTC
Location: permanently in the wrong
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby sourmìlk » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:09 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I wish that were true, but I've seen too many shits not get what's coming to them.


For example: I'm still kicking around these fora.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

User avatar
Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.
Posts: 7590
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:43 pm UTC
Location: Nederland

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Zamfir » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:35 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:I wish that were true, but I've seen too many shits not get what's coming to them.


For example: I'm still kicking around these fora.

Now I hear John Lennon singing Instant Karma's gonna get you/gonna knock you right on the head

Must. Resist. The. Urge

User avatar
sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?
Posts: 6393
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:53 pm UTC
Location: permanently in the wrong
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby sourmìlk » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:51 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:
sourmìlk wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:I wish that were true, but I've seen too many shits not get what's coming to them.


For example: I'm still kicking around these fora.

Now I hear John Lennon singing Instant Karma's gonna get you/gonna knock you right on the head

Must. Resist. The. Urge


John Lennon? I'm so sorry.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

User avatar
Gellert1984
Posts: 588
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:07 pm UTC
Location: South Wales UK

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Gellert1984 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:18 pm UTC



Personally I think they were taking the piss. Hear that republicans! The commie pinko chinamen are laughing at you and your lack of colonising Mars!
The only time I question the right to Free Speech is when I watch Fox News, probably due to the fact that I don't think they really believe in it. -Elisa Scaldaferri

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Роберт » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:10 pm UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:I dunno. In normal circumstances I agree with you, but if there's a serial rapist on the loose, I don't see how this is different from advising people to not hitchhike when there's a known serial killer targeting hitchhikers. As the article points out, the police aren't arresting people or anything, just warning them that they fit the pattern of victims. I'd like to know if I was a likely target for any kind of violent crime.

Except all the attempted attacks were on women wearing skirts, and he's warning a woman who is wearing shorts about her outfit.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Chen
Posts: 5576
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Chen » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:15 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:
Iulus Cofield wrote:I dunno. In normal circumstances I agree with you, but if there's a serial rapist on the loose, I don't see how this is different from advising people to not hitchhike when there's a known serial killer targeting hitchhikers. As the article points out, the police aren't arresting people or anything, just warning them that they fit the pattern of victims. I'd like to know if I was a likely target for any kind of violent crime.

Except all the attempted attacks were on women wearing skirts, and he's warning a woman who is wearing shorts about her outfit.


And he warned 2 people wearing skirts. The thought process of "person targeting women who are showing their legs" is not really that far out there.

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Роберт » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:35 pm UTC

Chen wrote:
Роберт wrote:
Iulus Cofield wrote:I dunno. In normal circumstances I agree with you, but if there's a serial rapist on the loose, I don't see how this is different from advising people to not hitchhike when there's a known serial killer targeting hitchhikers. As the article points out, the police aren't arresting people or anything, just warning them that they fit the pattern of victims. I'd like to know if I was a likely target for any kind of violent crime.

Except all the attempted attacks were on women wearing skirts, and he's warning a woman who is wearing shorts about her outfit.


And he warned 2 people wearing skirts. The thought process of "person targeting women who are showing their legs" is not really that far out there.

So the message is "don't wear skirts or dresses or shorts?"

Does this mean long pants only or am I missing something?
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

User avatar
Vash
Posts: 488
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:14 pm UTC
Location: The planet Gunsmoke

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Vash » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:42 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:Scientists attempt to create most annoying song possible

This happened three years ago, but it's too great not to post. I don't know if I'd call it annoying... I don't think there's yet an adjective for this. o_o


I think they missed the point, but it's definitely interesting.

User avatar
omgryebread
Posts: 1393
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:03 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby omgryebread » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:43 pm UTC

Chen wrote:
Роберт wrote:
Iulus Cofield wrote:I dunno. In normal circumstances I agree with you, but if there's a serial rapist on the loose, I don't see how this is different from advising people to not hitchhike when there's a known serial killer targeting hitchhikers. As the article points out, the police aren't arresting people or anything, just warning them that they fit the pattern of victims. I'd like to know if I was a likely target for any kind of violent crime.

Except all the attempted attacks were on women wearing skirts, and he's warning a woman who is wearing shorts about her outfit.


And he warned 2 people wearing skirts. The thought process of "person targeting women who are showing their legs" is not really that far out there.

Muggers target guys who have pockets. Why isn't the NYPD out there warning dudes not to wear pants?
avatar from Nononono by Lynn Okamoto.

User avatar
podbaydoor
Posts: 7548
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:16 am UTC
Location: spaceship somewhere out there

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:47 pm UTC

Honestly? I don't think their intentions are slut-shaming, like that Canadian police officer. The results here look somewhat similar to slut-shaming, and they need to frame it in different language. But in a general sense, if the police are seeing a pattern with a specific serial rapist, then it's not a bad thing that they try to warn people who fit into the pattern.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

DSenette
Posts: 2418
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:08 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby DSenette » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:51 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Honestly? I don't think their intentions are slut-shaming, like that Canadian police officer. The results here look somewhat similar to slut-shaming, and they need to frame it in different language. But in a general sense, if the police are seeing a pattern with a specific serial rapist, then it's not a bad thing that they try to warn people who fit into the pattern.

right, "there is a guy who is raping 15-25 year old white girls who are in this park after 9pm, are wearing skirts, and have blond hair" is not the same as "if you are a girl who is 15-25 years old, are in this park after 9pm, are wearing a skirt and have blond hair....you will get raped by a dude and you should have expected it to happen and prevented it by changing any of the previously mentioned characteristics of yourself"
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Роберт » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:01 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Honestly? I don't think their intentions are slut-shaming, like that Canadian police officer. The results here look somewhat similar to slut-shaming, and they need to frame it in different language. But in a general sense, if the police are seeing a pattern with a specific serial rapist, then it's not a bad thing that they try to warn people who fit into the pattern.

Sure.... I was just amused when he was warning people who DIDN'T fit the pattern.

The comments section on that article was full of people suggesting the girls wear whatever they want plus a gun. I was in a good mood today so I was amused.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Chen
Posts: 5576
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Chen » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:29 pm UTC

DSenette wrote:right, "there is a guy who is raping 15-25 year old white girls who are in this park after 9pm, are wearing skirts, and have blond hair" is not the same as "if you are a girl who is 15-25 years old, are in this park after 9pm, are wearing a skirt and have blond hair....you will get raped by a dude and you should have expected it to happen and prevented it by changing any of the previously mentioned characteristics of yourself"


I don't think anyone said the latter.

User avatar
podbaydoor
Posts: 7548
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:16 am UTC
Location: spaceship somewhere out there

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:04 pm UTC

Yeah...no one said the latter. That's why it doesn't qualify as classic slut-shaming.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

User avatar
buddy431
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:21 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby buddy431 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:52 pm UTC

Nobel Prize Winner Died Days before the Prize was announced

Though the Nobel Prize isn't supposed to be awarded to dead people, they're still going to give it to him, because the committee didn't know he was dead when they decided on the winners.
Gellert1984 wrote:Also, bomb president CIA al qaeda JFK twin towers jupiter moon martians [s]emtex.


Return to “News & Articles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: KittenKaboodle and 20 guests