In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Adacore

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Adacore » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:03 am UTC

yurell wrote:I think the same should hold for PE — my experience of PE hasn't been 'let's help he kids get fit and lose weight!', but 'let's let the sporty kids excel at something and have fun, while those who don't like exercise can stand on the sideline / be shamed by competing against people who are ludicrously out of their league.'

Maybe if they did that I wouldn't be so fat today. Instead, PE has instilled a life-long hatred of physical exercise.

This is certainly my experience of any kind of organised physical exercise. It's really fun for a while (a period that can be up to several years of participating), then suddenly you hit a point where they expect you to start being serious and competitive, rather than just doing it for fun. At that point, if you're not one of the naturally sporty types, it's easy to just give up on physical exercise entirely - you're clearly not wanted.

It wasn't until I left uni and started playing some racquet sports with my workmates that I realised I actually enjoy playing sports.

johnny_7713

Postby johnny_7713 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:43 am UTC

Randomizer wrote:"Hey, fatty, go on a diet or you're gonna flunk math!"
"But I work so hard at this class, and I spend so much time studying that I don't have time for exercise!"
"That's not what's important! You see those kids? They don't do as well on the tests as you, but they're acing the class. You know why? They're thin. That's what matters. And if you ever want to get anywhere in this world, that's what you're going to be, too!"
*Sobs* "But I just want to learn. I want to do well in math. Why are you punishing me for how much I weigh?"
"Weight is a math problem! What's 158 minus 10? Answer: How many pounds you better be by the end of this semester!"
*Cries until the end of class, later goes home feeling helpless and unable to change the situation, eventually drops out of school because being overweight has killed all hope of academic success*

Yeah, punishing people for being heavy sounds like a great idea. :roll:

If the kids aren't exercising enough, give them more PE time. Geeze.

Admittedly I'm not sure how the scoring of the bacelaureat works, but I think the idea is to add an extra exam subject, which would count towards your final average grade. So it's not like you would fail math on the basis of your weight. Also the article states that you would be rewarded for achieving and maintaining a BMI between 18 and 25, so no bonuses for being underweight.

None of the above should be taken to imply that I think this is a good idea, because I don't for the same reasons other people have already mentioned. At high school we got a mark for PE which counted towards the end of year average (though not the final exam). It was based on both athletic performance and effort / participation, with poor performance, but good effort still netting you a decent mark.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:30 am UTC

Hmm - I definitely think that PE could be a very positive force for the population's health, and one that is currently not having much effect. The idea of remedial PE is interesting, and making physical health be recognised by an awarding body could help make it more desirable for children and young adults. Putting it in a school context would allow better delivery of information and exercise and healthy eating ia a lot easier when there's an existing structure for it, just as inactivity and unhealthy eating is reinforced by a structure where you sit at a desk all day and eat salty, greasy chips for lunch.

Obviously there is a risk of incentivising unhealthy behaviour, but there's a whole science that deals with this! It should be possible to score someone on health.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

yurell

Postby yurell » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:37 am UTC

johnny_7713 wrote:Also the article states that you would be rewarded for achieving and maintaining a BMI between 18 and 25, so no bonuses for being underweight.

Does that mean that people who work out heavily for muscles will still be in that category? And what about those with medical issues that cause their weight?
Added to that, isn't it encouraging people to deliberately fatten themselves up before they start the IB, so they can lose it for a higher score?
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:51 am UTC

All the criticisms of a health measurement also apply to the academic achievement measurements though. At least it's consistent!

I think Dukan is trolling in his precise suggestion however.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:50 am UTC

johnny_7713 wrote: Also the article states that you would be rewarded for achieving and maintaining a BMI between 18 and 25, so no bonuses for being underweight.

It's worth remembering that the BMI range for neither obese nor underweight has varied quite a bit over the years and is surprisingly arbitrary, although the fact that upper range numbers have always been a multiple of 5 is kind of a big tip. A score of 18 is 92 pounds for a person who's 5 foot and 132 for someone who's 6 foot. If someone's hypothetical grade is in danger because they're below 18 BMI, maybe they should be receiving counseling rather than a dropped grade.

Kulantan

Postby Kulantan » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:26 pm UTC

It's worth remembering that basing anything, least of all grades, on BMI is the stupidest idea since... well this.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

phlip wrote:(Scholars believe it is lost to time exactly which search engine Columbus preferred... though they are reasonably sure that he was an avid user of Apple Maps.)

Blog.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:11 pm UTC

yurell wrote:
Randomizer wrote:If the kids aren't exercising enough, give them more PE time. Geeze.

Just like there's remedial, normal and advanced maths classes, I think the same should hold for PE — my experience of PE hasn't been 'let's help he kids get fit and lose weight!', but 'let's let the sporty kids excel at something and have fun, while those who don't like exercise can stand on the sideline / be shamed by competing against people who are ludicrously out of their league.'

Maybe if they did that I wouldn't be so fat today. Instead, PE has instilled a life-long hatred of physical exercise.

I agree. I had a total hatred of PE and didn't physically exercise at all except what we were forced to do in high school. (I still have similar shaky reactions in martial arts classes.) It wasn't until I got to college and discovered the Dance Dance Revolution club that I really realized that physical exercise did not have to be associated with hate and unpleasant classmates.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:43 pm UTC

Religion based on Filesharing.

Stop oppressing my right to religion, bro!

ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby ShootTheChicken » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:56 pm UTC

BBC wrote:File-sharing as a means to pirate content is becoming yesterday's technology

?
SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:35 pm UTC

Whatever one of the greatest scienficic minds in the 21st century said... must be true.

But does it really take a genius of his level to figure that out?

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/01/05 ... -universe/

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:43 am UTC

Goddammitsomuch. Someone I respect for their brains, talent, whathaveyou, spends years impressing me with their whathaveyou, only to mouth off about their ignorance about 51% of the species. Because they're old now, so they must be uttering shiny pearls of wisdom rather than showing off their ignorance.

Sorry. It's a peeve. An irritatingly recurrent one.
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount

Postby Qaanol » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:55 am UTC

poxic wrote:Goddammitsomuch. Someone I respect for their brains, talent, whathaveyou, spends years impressing me with their whathaveyou, only to mouth off about their ignorance about 51% of the species. Because they're old now, so they must be uttering shiny pearls of wisdom rather than showing off their ignorance.

I don’t understand what you’re saying. The meaning of this post is a complete mystery to me.

*ducks*
wee free kings

Ghostbear

Postby Ghostbear » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:07 am UTC

poxic wrote:Goddammitsomuch. Someone I respect for their brains, talent, whathaveyou, spends years impressing me with their whathaveyou, only to mouth off about their ignorance about 51% of the species. Because they're old now, so they must be uttering shiny pearls of wisdom rather than showing off their ignorance.

I agree with this feeling. Even as a man, it's always very grating to hear other guys do the whole "women are so confusing, amirite?" asshattery. I mean, I don't understand women, but I don't understand men either*! People in general are a mystery, I don't see any reason to specify one half of us. I don't think it's just old guys that get away with it though- I've seen lots of people perpetrate that line of thinking over the years, from people I knew to TV shows to comedians to anything else. It's a common line of bullshit that many (though obviously, not all) guys go with.

* I'd actually say I probably have understood the women I've known slightly better than the men, so if anything, it's the opposite for me. Which isn't to say I've ever had a great understanding of people in general.

Sizik

Postby Sizik » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:02 am UTC

I think it was a joke guys (and gals).
she/they
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:29 am UTC

One we've heard over and over and over again. It's tiring to serve as the punch line to a bad joke -- every day. :|
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:29 am UTC

As I see it, it's a joke that basically assumes the heteronormative and states 'relationships are confusing', which I think most people agree can be pretty accurate.

EDIT: I suppose there's added sexism in that it's normally stated from the male perspective.

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:48 am UTC

Adacore wrote:As I see it, it's a joke that basically assumes the heteronormative and states 'relationships are confusing'

That only works if women only exist as things to have relationships with.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:53 am UTC

Otherwise we'd hear "men are impossible to understand" every bit as often as we hear "women are impossible to understand".

Which we don't. Just thought I'd point that out.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:02 am UTC

poxic wrote:Otherwise we'd hear "men are impossible to understand" every bit as often as we hear "women are impossible to understand".

I hear that quite often.... at least when I hang around women. Maybe not the same amount, but I tend to be around a lot more men so I don't really know.

Actually the one that comes up a lot is "Your a guy, you wouldn't understand" often used when talking about fashion(a slight hobby of mine).
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:05 am UTC

Silly man, fashion is something your feeble brain isn't equipped to understand. You should stick to simple things like physics or comic books.

Ghostbear

Postby Ghostbear » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:07 am UTC

I always heard a bit "women are impossible to understand... because they're illogical, unlike us men" in it myself. Which makes it even worse.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:13 am UTC

http://www.stockholmnews.com/more.aspx?NID=8250%20 wrote:
File sharing recognized as religion

File-sharers own religion, "kopimism", has been officially recognized as a religion in Sweden. "Copying and sharing is one of our core beliefs," says the spiritual leader of kopimism, Isaac Gerson, to the news agency TT.

Kopimismen has now received formal approval and has been recognized as a religion in Sweden after a decision by the Legal, Financial and Administrative Services Agency. The Missionary Church of Kopimism have links to the pirate movement, and share address with Young Pirates, the Pirate Party’s youth league.

“But we really have no other links to the Pirate Party other than that we have many overlapping members,” says Gerson, who normally is a philosophy student in Uppsala, north of Stockholm.

Being accepted as a religion in Sweden means that the movement is "engaged in religious activities" and is allowed to register as a religious community.

What counts as religious activities?

“It's very simple. It is about a nonprofit organization and its self-image. It shall include a church service, but the state does not assess the content of the religious activity,” says Bertil Kallner, chief lawyer at the Legal, Financial and Administrative Services Agency, to public broadcaster SVT.

So there is no practical significance, as for example the right to avoid persecution as a religious minority?

“No.”

The belief teachings of the Missionary Church of Kopimism does not say anything about illegal file sharing, but Isaac Gerson says that "Many people are worried about ending up in jail when they copy and remix. I hope it will change in the name of Kopimism."

But being a religion has no significance when it comes to violations of Swedish law.

"It is equally illegal whether you are a registered as a religious community or not," says Bertil Kallner.

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:54 am UTC

Taken from the BBC (hence each sentence on it's own line, pah!)... and the intertubes in general.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16426024

A French fashion retailer has apologised for a photo in which a naked man appeared behind a group of children advertising beachwear - but the image has gone viral on the internet.

In a tweet La Redoute said that it "apologises for the photo published on its site and is doing what's necessary to remove it".

But montages appeared on the internet showing the naked man in some iconic images, such as the Moon landing.

The nudist has not been identified.

In one of the spoof images the face of the disgraced former International Monetary Fund chief, Dominique Strauss-Kahn, was pasted onto the naked man.

La Redoute is one of France's biggest mail-order retailers.

A spokeswoman for La Redoute, quoted by the AFP news agency, said an internal inquiry had been launched to determine how the error had happened.

And here's the part that elevates this from merely funny to hilarious:

The error was compounded by the fact that La Redoute provided a magnifying glass so that people could examine the beachwear close-up.

Try an image search on "La Redoute Man", there's loads of brilliant 'shops out there, my personal favourite is this one:

Spoiler:
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:06 pm UTC

I only read that in passing this morning; I had no idea it was so deeply hilarious, or so memeworthy.

Randomizer

Postby Randomizer » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:57 pm UTC

I think the gravest error here is that they didn't get a model release.
Belial wrote:I'm all outraged out. Call me when the violent rebellion starts.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:04 pm UTC

Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop faces weapon, drug charges

Maybe he thought no one would be able to remember his name?

Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount

Postby Qaanol » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:00 am UTC

poxic wrote:Otherwise we'd hear "men are impossible to understand" every bit as often as we hear "women are impossible to understand".

What I have heard include “Men have one-track minds”, “Men are simple to understand”, and “Men are easy to figure out”.

Negative stereotypes are negative?
wee free kings

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:57 am UTC

I've always figured that the confusion between sexes arises because women operate on several levels at once, and assume men do the same: They assume we have as much depth as them, when often we're more like rain puddles......

Or, if you like, Men are Dzur/Dragons, Women are Issola/Yendi. (Well, except without the negative associations usually tied to Yendi. Like Pel, instead of the Sorceress-in-Green.)
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:10 am UTC

Aikanaro wrote:I've always figured that the confusion between sexes arises because women operate on several levels at once, and assume men do the same: They assume we have as much depth as them, when often we're more like rain puddles......

Or everyone operates on several levels at once, and accepts that the opposite gender is weird and confusing because of groupthink.

adho

Postby adho » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:51 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:
Aikanaro wrote:I've always figured that the confusion between sexes arises because women operate on several levels at once, and assume men do the same: They assume we have as much depth as them, when often we're more like rain puddles......

Or everyone operates on several levels at once, and accepts that the opposite gender is weird and confusing because of groupthink.

I personally find both genders equally incomprehensible.
With the majority of society heterosexual, it makes sense to me that you would hear many men complaining women are confusing/weird/crazy.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:02 am UTC

Man, what's up with humans, right? Homo sapiens be crazy.

There have been three separate news articles posted since this started, let's move on to those as this has rarely been a productive avenue of discussion in the past.

Link

Postby Link » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:53 pm UTC

Fish mimics octopus that mimics fish.

Spoiler:
xzibit-yo-dawg-238x130.jpg
Yo dawg, I heard you like mimicry...
xzibit-yo-dawg-238x130.jpg (8.05 KiB) Viewed 6352 times

addams

Postby addams » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:57 pm UTC

Ghostbear wrote:

I agree with this feeling. Even as a man, it's always very grating to hear other guys do the whole "women are so confusing, amirite?" asshattery. I mean, I don't understand women, but I don't understand men either*! People in general are a mystery, I don't see any reason to specify one half of us. I don't think it's just old guys that get away with it though- I've seen lots of people perpetrate that line of thinking over the years, from people I knew to TV shows to comedians to anything else. It's a common line of bullshit that many (though obviously, not all) guys go with.

* I'd actually say I probably have understood the women I've known slightly better than the men, so if anything, it's the opposite for me. Which isn't to say I've ever had a great understanding of people in general.

Yeah. People. Men. Women.
Really? You get along with women? How?

It is the whole, "I shouldn't have to tell you; You should know." thing.
Men do that, too.

If, it is not labeled, then, it is not Science.
If, it is labeled, then, what is the point, if, you don't tell me?

What am I supposed to know about women? I am one. Those Girlie Girls are difficult. They come in both genders.

eww. It's dead!
eww. My shoes are getting dirty.
eww. I just fell in a hole full of cold water. A hand up, please.
Not all girls are the same.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:27 pm UTC

I found the Tsunami girl story from that site to be particularly warming. I would like to know more!
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

buddy431

Postby buddy431 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:14 pm UTC

Not funny, but interesting, Alaska has been having a pretty severe season - several towns have had the National Guard called in after snow collapsed some roofs. Due to a late storm, the last fuel shipment to Nome was cancelled, and the city is now running out of fuel for heating and running vehicles. To remedy this, an unprecedented winter delivery is being attempted, with a Russian tanker and U.S. icebreaker trying to reach the city. Naturally, parallels are being drawn to the 1925 1925 serum run by dogsled. Currently, the tanker has about 150 miles to go, and I think they're hoping to get in by the end of the week.
Gellert1984 wrote:Also, bomb president CIA al qaeda JFK twin towers jupiter moon martians [s]emtex.

Randomizer

Postby Randomizer » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:42 pm UTC

I was about to say, "Roof collapses due to snow, in Alaska? These people have to know how build buildings that can deal with snow." Then I read how much snow it was... 18 feet this winter... :shock:
Belial wrote:I'm all outraged out. Call me when the violent rebellion starts.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:33 am UTC

George Lucas thinks Hollywood hates black people , apparently.

The guy that created Jar Jar (Space Haitian), Watto (Space Jew), the Trade Federation (Space Chinese), Sand People (Space Bedouins), the Empire (Space Roman), and Jabba (Space Italian) talks about racism...
Last edited by CorruptUser on Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:41 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

yurell

Postby yurell » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:39 am UTC

To me it seems more along the lines of Hollywood expecting its audience to be racist (although I won't disagree that they are acting racist as well).

Amendment upon further reading: Since Lucas paid for it and everything, they're being downright racist pricks.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

Return to “News & Articles”