In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Felstaff » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:35 pm UTC

Chen wrote:What the hell kind of car holds 11 people

I prefer my vehicles to be 28-seaters
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:59 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:regarding

It is in fact completely wrong. The woman who died in that accident wasn't the woman who is protesting it. Someone randomly attributed her name to the unnamed woman. Yay for shitty reporting, and horrible stereotypes.

Link

Now it's actually funny.

Look at how sexist people a really reaching for confirmation that repressing women is OKAY! It's not just lamesauce reports on anecdotes of "look the uppity women getting what's coming to them for trying to be good as men", but the anecdotes they're using aren't even true! Hahahaha!

They're probably right-wing and have a low IQ. (Actually, that's a good study. We know overt racism is correlated with lower IQ and right-wing ideology. What about sexism? I'd guess yes.)
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:44 am UTC

Роберт wrote:
Jessica wrote:regarding

It is in fact completely wrong. The woman who died in that accident wasn't the woman who is protesting it. Someone randomly attributed her name to the unnamed woman. Yay for shitty reporting, and horrible stereotypes.

Link

Now it's actually funny.

Look at how sexist people a really reaching for confirmation that repressing women is OKAY! It's not just lamesauce reports on anecdotes of "look the uppity women getting what's coming to them for trying to be good as men", but the anecdotes they're using aren't even true! Hahahaha!

They're probably right-wing and have a low IQ. (Actually, that's a good study. We know overt racism is correlated with lower IQ and right-wing ideology. What about sexism? I'd guess yes.)

Eh. That law will be repealed eventually. The King would support women driving.

addams

Postby addams » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:55 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:
Chen wrote:What the hell kind of car holds 11 people

I prefer my vehicles to be 28-seaters

I have no idea what that clip was all about. But; It made me laugh. Japanese?
That is weird behavior for Japanese people. What were they doing?
They had a helicopter? So, cool. A helicopter!
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

buddy431

Postby buddy431 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:10 am UTC

Julian Assange to play himself on The Simpsons

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/31/idUS8552258120120131

He apparently recorded his bit last summer while under house arrest in the UK.
Gellert1984 wrote:Also, bomb president CIA al qaeda JFK twin towers jupiter moon martians [s]emtex.

Randomizer

Postby Randomizer » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:56 am UTC

I don't think I've watched the Simpsons in years. I'll have to try to catch that one.
Belial wrote:I'm all outraged out. Call me when the violent rebellion starts.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:02 pm UTC

Would-Be Jedi-clearly-in-training attacks customers in store with lightsabres.

MSNBC.com wrote:PORTLAND, Oregon — An Oregon judge has used his force to order a 45-day jail sentence and mental health evaluation for a would-be Jedi who attacked toy store customers with a pair of lightsabers.

David Allen Canterbury, 33, told Judge Kenneth Walker that he is already seeking mental health treatment. Canterbury also apologized to his victims.

The Oregonian reported that Canterbury pleaded no contest Monday to assault and resisting arrest.

Canterbury had a "Star Wars" lightsaber in each hand as he swung at three customers last Dec. 14 at a Toys R Us store, Portland police said. He carried the lightsabers outside the store and swung at police.

According to The Oregonian, police attempted to shoot Canterbury with a Taser but the suspected deflected one of the wires away.

Officers eventually wrestled him to the ground.

No one was injured, the newspaper reported.

Canterbury has been banned from the toy store.

They call him a would-be Jedi, but clearly he already is strong enough in the force to deflect ranged attacks! He just needs a bit more practice to be able to deflect them back at the cops!
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:03 pm UTC

pair of lightsabers.

Clearly a sith or at least one leaning towards the dark side. Lock him up.

Good guys use one and only one saber.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:22 pm UTC

buddy431 wrote:Julian Assange to play himself on The Simpsons

"Simpsons" executive producer Al Jean told Entertainment Weekly that Assange recorded his part from an undisclosed location last summer, while under house arrest in Britain.

Maybe I'm confused about how house arrest works, but wouldn't they have known the location?
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:23 pm UTC

English source wrote:A Dutch pigeon fancier sold one of his birds for the world record sum of £209,000 during an internet auction on Monday.

Pieter Veenstra auctioned 245 pigeons on the Belgian website Pigeon Paradise, or PIPA, for over £1.6 million, including the record-breaking hen, of the Dolce Vita breed.

The buyer, Hu Zhen Yu, is a Chinese shipping magnate, who bought the bird for breeding rather than racing in China, where pigeon fancying is a fast growing sport and big business.

His purchase beat the previous bestselling pigeon, euro Diamond sold for £142,000 in November last year.

The record breaking price fetched by the bird has sparked a furious debate in the world of pigeon racing, a cult sport in Britain, Belgium, Holland and Germany that is not traditionally regarded as a rich man's pursuit.

Ken Ambler, a fancier from Oxenhope in West Yorkshire, said that the sport pigeon racing had been transformed since he took it up 70 years ago with expensive birds now "housed in luxury" compared to "the basic orange box lofts of yesteryear".

"We must not forget pigeon racing is a simple sport to be enjoyed by all who wish to become involved for the right reasons," he said.

Terence Wright, from Enniscorthy in Ireland, said: "Is it so good to see all these top European birds go to China, to see the best stock leave our shores and to know that soon all our best pigeons blood lines will be no longer available to the fanciers of Europe?"

I grew up in a neighbourhood with many pigeon breeders, and "not traditionally regarded as a rich man's pursuit" describes that neighbourhood pretty well.

But it gets intruiging if we combine it with an article from a year ago:

Also the telegraph wrote:China is training 10,000 messenger pigeons to deliver vital military communications in the event of the country's communication systems breaking down.

According to the Chinese state media, the pigeons are being trained by a special unit of the People's Liberation Army in the central city of Chengdu.

"They will be primarily called upon to conduct special military missions between troops stationed at our borders," said Chen Hong, an air force expert, to China Central Television (CCTV), the state broadcaster.

"In modern warfare, the pigeon is indispensable," he added. "There are as many military pigeons as there are soldiers in the Swiss army, for example." Chen Chuntao, the officer responsible for the pigeon "army" said the birds were the "most practical and effective short and medium distance tool for communications if there is electromagnetic interference or a collapse in our signals".

And we thought we had to worry about a digital Skynet

Webzter

Postby Webzter » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:02 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:
Also the telegraph wrote:China is training 10,000 messenger pigeons to deliver vital military communications in the event of the country's communication systems breaking down.

According to the Chinese state media, the pigeons are being trained by a special unit of the People's Liberation Army in the central city of Chengdu.

"They will be primarily called upon to conduct special military missions between troops stationed at our borders," said Chen Hong, an air force expert, to China Central Television (CCTV), the state broadcaster.

"In modern warfare, the pigeon is indispensable," he added. "There are as many military pigeons as there are soldiers in the Swiss army, for example." Chen Chuntao, the officer responsible for the pigeon "army" said the birds were the "most practical and effective short and medium distance tool for communications if there is electromagnetic interference or a collapse in our signals".

And we thought we had to worry about a digital Skynet

Glad to see someone's finally implementing RFC 1149

Arrian

Postby Arrian » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:10 pm UTC

addams wrote:I have no idea what that clip was all about. But; It made me laugh. Japanese?
That is weird behavior for Japanese people. What were they doing?
They had a helicopter? So, cool. A helicopter!

It's from Japanese TV but it's video from Arizona, probably illegal immigrants getting chased down. Admittedly, it's hard to tell the difference between a human tragedy like that and a Japanese game show...

Zamfir wrote:
The Telegraph wrote:China is training 10,000 messenger pigeons to deliver vital military communications in the event of the country's communication systems breaking down.

I knew it was only a matter of time before someone implemented rfc1149. Didn't really expect the Chinese, though. Tibetans, maybe (all those mountains make both running cable and LOS wireless difficult,) but not the Chinese.

<edit>d'oh! Scooped. </edit>

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:
buddy431 wrote:Julian Assange to play himself on The Simpsons

"Simpsons" executive producer Al Jean told Entertainment Weekly that Assange recorded his part from an undisclosed location last summer, while under house arrest in Britain.

Maybe I'm confused about how house arrest works, but wouldn't they have known the location?

Undisclosed to us, the public.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

wst

Postby wst » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:51 pm UTC

Tiger bread renamed by supermarket chain after pressure from 3 year old girl.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:02 am UTC

wst wrote:Tiger bread renamed by supermarket chain after pressure from 3 year old girl.

She's right. it does look like a giraffe.

Lostdreams

Postby Lostdreams » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:12 pm UTC

..and quarter one sales just went up 68%.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

Sorry, we just learned science.

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:16 pm UTC

wst wrote:Tiger bread renamed by supermarket chain after pressure from 3 year old girl.

I figured it was called Tiger bread because it's yellow-y orange.

kids eh, they're all like, "status quo? what status quo!" brilliant :D wonder if other supermarkets will follow suit... I doubt it.

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:54 pm UTC

Mona Lisa’s ‘twin sister’ discovered in Spain’s Prado art museum

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/112 ... useum?bn=1

for all those art geeks here.

Also this:

Anonymous exposes pedophile ring - hacks Lolita City

http://www.examiner.com/anonymous-in-na ... olita-city

Randomizer

Postby Randomizer » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:42 am UTC

Holy shit, Rosanne Barr is running for President under the Green party. I thought she was joking when I saw her speaking on Russia Today. :shock: (Her part starts at 13:50)
Belial wrote:I'm all outraged out. Call me when the violent rebellion starts.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:26 pm UTC

Anonymous intercepts FBI and Scotland Yard conference call.

I really think that this time they've gone too far. It's kind of amazing that they managed to do it - surely they'd have to have known when the call was going on, unless they managed to download it later from somewhere where it was stored.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:52 pm UTC

Angua wrote:Anonymous intercepts FBI and Scotland Yard conference call.

I really think that this time they've gone too far. It's kind of amazing that they managed to do it - surely they'd have to have known when the call was going on, unless they managed to download it later from somewhere where it was stored.

That article actually did a fairly good job of describing what Anonymous is. And that's pretty awesome that they got that phone call and e-mail.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:17 pm UTC

Law enforcement agencies seem keen to be granted more and more powers to intercept our communications. I'm not going to cry if they have it done to them. After all, if you've got nothing to hide, you've got nothing to fear, right?
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

Krealr

Postby Krealr » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:53 pm UTC

Plasma Man wrote: After all, if you've got nothing to hide, you've got nothing to fear, right?

It would be better if this was an xkcd comic but it was just put up and fits so well

http://abstrusegoose.com/433

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:05 pm UTC

Well yes, but the fact that they have the ability to access "secure" communications in the first place is unsettling. Frankly, if I had to be spied on by someone, I'm not sure whether I'd rather trust the rozzers or Anonymous. On the one hand, Anonymous don't have arrest quotas to fill, on the other, the rozzers can theoretically be held accountable for the shit they pull.

It's a conundrum.

Plasma Man

Postby Plasma Man » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:34 pm UTC

I'd rather that no-one had the ability to spy on my communications. I settle for being insignificant so no-one can be bothered to.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Plasma Man

Postby Plasma Man » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:46 pm UTC

OK, new post for a new story. The UK Advertising Standards Agency have ruled that a Christian group are not allowed to claim that god can heal. The claims were found to be misleading, could encourage false hope and were irresponsible.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:03 pm UTC

Plasma Man wrote:I'd rather that no-one had the ability to spy on my communications. I settle for being insignificant so no-one can be bothered to.

Wouldn't we all. Alas, it doesn't matter how insignificant you are, someone can always spin information in such a way as to make you appear significant.

Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount

Postby Qaanol » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:06 pm UTC

Plasma Man wrote:OK, new post for a new story. The UK Advertising Standards Agency have ruled that a Christian group are not allowed to claim that god can heal. The claims were found to be misleading, could encourage false hope and were irresponsible.

Yay!
wee free kings

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:16 pm UTC

Plasma Man wrote:OK, new post for a new story. The UK Advertising Standards Agency have ruled that a Christian group are not allowed to claim that god can heal. The claims were found to be misleading, could encourage false hope and were irresponsible.

Well that makes perfect sense. If you're not allowed to say that taking a substance will heal you without proof, it shouldn't be any different for other claims.

yurell

Postby yurell » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:50 pm UTC

I do so hope that isn't overturned on appeal. Or if it is, the Church would be liable for being sued under false or misleading advertising ... that would be so golden.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

addams

Postby addams » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:01 pm UTC

Plasma Man wrote:I'd rather that no-one had the ability to spy on my communications. I settle for being insignificant so no-one can be bothered to.

Yes. That is a good plan A.

If, it fails?

Yuck. A bunch of hackers or a bunch of hackers in uniform? Tough choice? Not for me. The ones that don't have on uniforms, then, none at all. Yes. I would miss some of the things that I can see and hear on the internet. But; I would give it up in a NY minute.

What would you miss the most? We can not, really, know until we have tried it.

We can make guesses. Then; Try it.
1. Wikipedia. I would miss wikipedia the very most. You?
2. Google search. Anything, anywhere Google is there.
3. E-mail. Yeah. It is third. What place is right and good?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:32 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:

Well that makes perfect sense. If you're not allowed to say that taking a substance will heal you without proof, it shouldn't be any different for other claims.

The problem I see with this is that they're not really advertising a product. They're saying its their belief that god can heal. A belief they are allowed holding. I mean its akin to join a club that says its the "best in town". That's likely not true either, but very few places would disallow that kind of self-agrandizing advertising. Frankly you can't prove or disprove that god isn't healing people anyways. I mean if one person goes there, prays and says their backpain went away or their cancer went into remission, is this sufficient "proof" one way or another? Do they need to add a little footnote that says "Results may vary for each individual" like they do on all those "Make $1000 /day working at home" things?

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:43 pm UTC

Chen wrote:They're saying its their belief that god can heal.

No, they're not. Otherwise it would have said "We believe God can heal today!". Instead, it said "God can heal today!", which is an objective statement of fact. One that is demonstrably false. They're welcome to believe whatever they want, provided they don't present those beliefs as fact.

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:06 pm UTC

Hawknc wrote:
Chen wrote:They're saying its their belief that god can heal.

No, they're not. Otherwise it would have said "We believe God can heal today!". Instead, it said "God can heal today!", which is an objective statement of fact. One that is demonstrably false. They're welcome to believe whatever they want, provided they don't present those beliefs as fact.

Frankly that's a bit pedantic. I'd imagine the person who complained and started this off would have complained regardless of that minor difference in wording. I do see your point, and if all they need to do is change their wording on the pamphlets I'd be fine with that.

For reference, it is not demonstrably false that god can heal, because you cannot demonstrably even prove that god does not exist. Of course, in that vein, its also impossible to the demonstrably prove that god CAN heal.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:06 pm UTC

Well, there's whether God CAN heal, and whether God WILL heal, they could argue......
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

yurell

Postby yurell » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:14 pm UTC

Aikanaro wrote:Well, there's whether God CAN heal, and whether God WILL heal, they could argue......

No they couldn't (successfully, at least), because when making a positive claim they need to present evidence that it's true, not rant on about how there's no evidence it's not.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

Postby AvatarIII » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:17 pm UTC

I think it's just a semantics issue,

"God can heal" bad
"Need Healing? God can heal today!"

"We believe that God can heal" good
"We're Christian from churches in Bath and we pray in the name of Jesus. We believe that God loves you and can heal you from any sickness."

kiklion

Postby kiklion » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:07 pm UTC

How about banning false and unproveable statements from advertisements? There is a better word than unproveable but I cannot remember it at this time.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:17 pm UTC

I'd be curious if there's more to it than just the fliers, if the people with the leaflets are effectively 'selling' prayer with these ads once people actually come to them. "We'll pray for you, but you'll have to 'donate' first." Government agencies tend to take notice when money is changing hands.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:23 pm UTC

Dauric wrote:I'd be curious if there's more to it than just the fliers, if the people with the leaflets are effectively 'selling' prayer with these ads once people actually come to them. "We'll pray for you, but you'll have to 'donate' first." Government agencies tend to take notice when money is changing hands.

This is likely the case I'd think. It takes a bit for the government to step in, in matters like this. I can't imagine they'd do it for just a regular church advertisement.

Return to “News & Articles”