In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

SlyReaper
inflatable

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:37 pm UTC

Who needs lungs when you have bizarre medical science?

For the record, I am aware this only supplies oxygen, and doesn't solve the problem of getting rid of carbon dioxide.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

zombie_monkey

Postby zombie_monkey » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:56 am UTC

Adacore wrote:In the original Cyrillic (царь), I believe 'ц' is pronounced approximately as 'ts', so if you're basing loan words on the root language then the 't' is not silent. Perhaps the sound that 'ц' truly represents doesn't really exist in English, that's frequently the cause of pronunciation compromises like this.

Well, it was initially "цѣсарь" but yeah. The sound doesn't exist in English. It's an affricate like in English <j> or <ch>, which is not the same as <tsh>, for example.

Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount

Postby Qaanol » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:35 am UTC

zombie_monkey wrote:<ch>, which is not the same as <tsh>

This is news to me.
wee free kings

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:48 pm UTC

I love this part.

Chaka cross-examination of Davis, April 10, 2012
Davis: But as it shows, you also have your hands on his genitals. I mean, why would you take a picture like that?
Chaka: I do not. Let’s look closely at the exhibit right here, Judge. Where is my hand placed in this exhibit?
Judge: I don’t answer questions, Ms. Chaka.
Chaka: Oh, sorry.
Judge: The witness does.
Chaka: Can you tell me where my hand is actually at in this photo?
Davis: It looks like it’s in the genitals to me. I mean your hands are on his genitals. Your hand is on his—
Chaka: Objection.

If anything, Davis in the transcripts sounds halfway reasonable. Chaka is objecting to the answer to her own question.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

zombie_monkey

Postby zombie_monkey » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:08 pm UTC

Qaanol wrote:

This is news to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affricate#Affricates_vs._stop-fricative_sequences
EDIT: Apparently, some dialects of English always turn stop-fricative sequences to affricates, maybe that's your native dialect. And in English it only occurs across morpheme boundaries, and it remains a sequence only when <t> is realised as some other allophone (in Bulgarian it's also only across morpheme boundaries, but it always remains a stop-fricative sequence). In many languages OTOH it's not only across but also within morphemes that you find the contrast.

I wonder where the <cz> in <czar> comes from. Only Polish among the Slavic languages uses this digraph, and it's the same sound as pinyin <zh>. It's spelled <car> in Polish, and I would guess other Western Slavic languages, where it represents the same initial sound as in other Slavic languages for the word.

Edit, checked, as I suspected, <cz> is used in other smaller Western Slavic languages too, for example in Kashubian it's English <ch>. And this English spelling must come from Hungarian:
⟨cz⟩ is used in Polish orthography for /t͡ʂ/ as in About this sound cześć (help·info) ('hello'). In Kashubian, ⟨cz⟩ represents /t͡ʃ/. This digraph was once common across Europe, but has largely been replaced. In French and Catalan, historical ⟨cz⟩ contracted to the ligature ⟨ç⟩, and represents the sound /s/. In Hungarian, it was formerly used for the sound /t͡s/, which is now written ⟨c⟩.

Note: The board font seems to have trouble with the kerning or placement of the tie bar. The Arial Unicode MS bug? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:IPA#Rendering_issues EDIT: I was on a Win machine, looks fine on Linux, so that must be it.

Max™

Postby Max™ » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:12 pm UTC

zombie_monkey wrote:
Qaanol wrote:

This is news to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affricate#Affricates_vs._stop-fricative_sequences
EDIT: Apparently, some dialects of English always turn stop-fricative sequences to affricates, maybe that's your native dialect. And in English it only occurs across morpheme boundaries, and it remains a sequence only when <t> is realised as some other allophone (in Bulgarian it's also only across morpheme boundaries, but it always remains a stop-fricative sequence). In many languages OTOH it's not only across but also within morphemes that you find the contrast.

I wonder where the <cz> in <czar> comes from. Only Polish among the Slavic languages uses this digraph, and it's the same sound as pinyin <zh>. It's spelled <car> in Polish, and I would guess other Western Slavic languages, where it represents the same initial sound as in other Slavic languages for the word.

Edit, checked, as I suspected, <cz> is used in other smaller Western Slavic languages too, for example in Kashubian it's English <ch>. And this English spelling must come from Hungarian:
⟨cz⟩ is used in Polish orthography for /t͡ʂ/ as in About this sound cześć (help·info) ('hello'). In Kashubian, ⟨cz⟩ represents /t͡ʃ/. This digraph was once common across Europe, but has largely been replaced. In French and Catalan, historical ⟨cz⟩ contracted to the ligature ⟨ç⟩, and represents the sound /s/. In Hungarian, it was formerly used for the sound /t͡s/, which is now written ⟨c⟩.

Note: The board font seems to have trouble with the kerning or placement of the tie bar. The Arial Unicode MS bug? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:IPA#Rendering_issues EDIT: I was on a Win machine, looks fine on Linux, so that must be it.

*snorts derisively at windows bugs*

Fricatives are interesting though, fun word to say, but it reminds me of Bugs Bunny for some reason...
mu

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:16 pm UTC

Max™ wrote:Fricatives are interesting though, fun word to say, but it reminds me of Bugs Bunny for some reason...

Sounds more like Daffy Duck: You're fricative.
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (14 Jan 1875-1965)

Max™

Postby Max™ » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:19 pm UTC

Figured out why: http://www.daogreerearthworks.com/1/pos ... abbit.html

Article references two rabbits named Fricassee and Rotisserie, great names.
mu

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:04 pm UTC

We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Ghostbear

Postby Ghostbear » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:14 pm UTC

To be fair, NH has one of (if not the) largest state legislatures per capita in the country. Each state representative represents 3,300 people on average. So you're going to have a high proportion of crazy shitheads, since there is a smaller population of non-shitheads to draw your representatives from.

I love how terrible his logic is though:
Kingsbury [...] said that his analysis was of local crime rates in communities that offered kindergarten versus those that do not offer the educational program.

That's about as scientifically proper as the whole pirates vs. global warming thing:

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:15 pm UTC

Dauric wrote:I have nothing coherent to say about it....

- "We're taking children away from their mothers too soon," Kingsbury said, who also linked higher crime to the lack of boxing classes in high schools
- He said he shared his research with other legislators when he tried to fight mandatory kindergarten in the state.
- Kingsbury, 86, has a history of supporting ideas that differ from his fellow legislators.
- Kingsbury, a vocal United Nations opponent, has also sponsored a bill raising the minimum age to be a judge in New Hampshire from 18 to 60.
- Kingsbury also sponsored a failed effort to tie future state legislation to the Magna Carta, a move that he told colleagues was to honor the English document's history.

Hard to criticise something with coherency when the source material itself struggles with the concept.
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (14 Jan 1875-1965)

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:59 pm UTC

poxic wrote:
Dauric wrote:I have nothing coherent to say about it....

Hard to criticise something with coherency when the source material itself struggles with the concept.

Pretty much this, of course don't forget this shining example:

During a February House committee meeting over supporting statehood for the District of Columbia, Kingsbury questioned the District's crime rate and crime-fighting policies and suggested that statehood could cause New Hampshire's crime rate to rise by 25-percent.

... DC''s statehood could result in a 25% increase in NH's crime rate...
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:22 am UTC

Well duh. Just look at how the creation of OPEC caused the rise in drug related convictions in the US.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:51 am UTC

Ghostbear wrote:That's about as scientifically proper as the whole pirates vs. global warming thing.

Which these days, sadly, doesn't really work anyway, because of Somalia. :(

Max™

Postby Max™ » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:09 am UTC

Adacore wrote:
Ghostbear wrote:That's about as scientifically proper as the whole pirates vs. global warming thing.

Which these days, sadly, doesn't really work anyway, because of Somalia. :(

Well, global warming stalled out...
mu

Postby AvatarIII » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:48 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Who needs lungs when you have bizarre medical science?

For the record, I am aware this only supplies oxygen, and doesn't solve the problem of getting rid of carbon dioxide.

in the comments someone said this
The issue of course is that you would still need to exhale. CO2 would likely transfer itself, through diffusion, as always, into the lung space, which could be forcibly exhaled as normal. There would likely be an extremely wierd feeling as your lungs slowly inflated to match the increasing partial pressure CO2 building in your bloodstream.

anyone know if that's BS or would actually happen?

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:55 pm UTC

Actually, crazy guy might not be totally wrong. The longevity study shows that starting school early leads to unhealthy behaviorsleading to an early death. They didn't specifically study crime, but the idea is that thrusting kids into difficult social and academic situations before they're ready leads to emotional problems.
Atlantic wrote:Yes—as it turned out, starting formal schooling at a very early age turned out not to be a very good idea for most. Children need unstructured play time, and they need to get along with their peers; starting out young seemed to alienate them.
So there is a school of thought that supports waiting until a child is 6 or 7 to begin structured schooling.

He still sounds crazy, though.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:09 am UTC

What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:23 am UTC

Just as an update: Popehat has more articles on the Oatmeal vs Carreon thing, and seriously, it's even better than a war story on cracked.com.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:30 am UTC

Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:21 pm UTC

Ahh, the old no true hero trick... A brilliant strategy for re-election.
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:21 pm UTC

bentheimmigrant wrote:Ahh, the old no true hero trick... A brilliant strategy for re-election.

No true Scotsman?[/lexicon-marxist]

Wouldn't it be much easier and politically acceptable to say

"Yes, she's a hero who gave up a lot for our great nation. Yes, Tammy deserves our praise and support. But being a Representative of the great state of Illinois is more than being willing to serve your country at any cost. It's about negotiation, it's about law, it's about knowing what to do to best serve the interests of both the people of both Illinois and the United States. Ms Duckman has integrity and honor, yes, and while we should commend her service, she isn't the most qualified person to represent Illinois. I, Joe Walsh, am that person. I can and have served out state, doing XXXX, YYYY, and providing ZZZZ. In these trying times, we have to elect and appoint the people that are best suited for the position, not the just the people that are willing to. Vote Joe Walsh!"?

Heh, I should become a speechwriter or something. (Let me know if I merely have delusions of grandeur)

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:53 pm UTC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18715684

Lifeguard fired for saving drowning man's life.

Definition of irony. Or bureaucracy. Even for lifeguards, I suppose.

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:54 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:
bentheimmigrant wrote:Ahh, the old no true hero trick... A brilliant strategy for re-election.

Yes... it's called a reference.

CorruptUser wrote:Wouldn't it be much easier and politically acceptable to say

"Yes, she's a hero who gave up a lot for our great nation. Yes, Tammy deserves our praise and support. But being a Representative of the great state of Illinois is more than being willing to serve your country at any cost. It's about negotiation, it's about law, it's about knowing what to do to best serve the interests of both the people of both Illinois and the United States. Ms Duckman has integrity and honor, yes, and while we should commend her service, she isn't the most qualified person to represent Illinois. I, Joe Walsh, am that person. I can and have served out state, doing XXXX, YYYY, and providing ZZZZ. In these trying times, we have to elect and appoint the people that are best suited for the position, not the just the people that are willing to. Vote Joe Walsh!"?

Heh, I should become a speechwriter or something. (Let me know if I merely have delusions of grandeur)

Yes, that's exactly what he should say. However, his mind is a place of unadulterated idiocy.
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott

Max™

Postby Max™ » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:07 pm UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18715684

Lifeguard fired for saving drowning man's life.

Definition of irony. Or bureaucracy. Even for lifeguards, I suppose.

Wouldn't irony be a lifeguard drowning a man?
mu

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:08 pm UTC

Why can't the company that fired him be charged with "reckless endangerment" or something?

lutzj

Postby lutzj » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:16 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Why can't the company that fired him be charged with "reckless endangerment" or something?

What the company did is legally sound and they might even have a point in that Lopez left his assigned section of the beach and could have endangered others. It's still incredibly stupid, and apparently several other lifeguards resigned in protest when they heard the news.
addams wrote:I'm not a bot.
That is what a bot would type.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:28 pm UTC

This part:

She added that the stretch of Hallandale Beach that Mr Lopez was supposed to be patrolling on Monday was being protected by other lifeguards who were on the phone to emergency operators at the time.

I wonder if that means "he left, knowing that the other lifeguards were busy on the phone with 911 (and thus unable to guard the beach)" or "he left, knowing that other lifeguards knew of the situation (and thus able to look after the beach as he left)." Or even "emergency services already knew of the issue, but he unnecessarily went there" (but the article did saya that only he and a nurse were on the scene, so this seems unlikely). It sounds like the first one, which only supports his decision to leave.

The other lifeguards quitting also seems to support the notion that they were aware of what was happening.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:42 pm UTC

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:42 pm UTC

Mr Lopez has no regrets about losing his $8.25-an-hour (£5.30; 6.60 euros) job.

Wow, lifeguards get paid so little? I guess it's not a highly educated job, but it's a job with a fairly high degree of both responsibility and risk. That is a really shitty wage. Far below minimum here in NL.

Also, regarding the 'leaving his post' bit. Doesn't he do that anyway every single time he runs out to rescue someone. If there's only 1 lifeguard, and there are 2 swimmers in danger at the same time, one of them gets shafted anyway. The only difference is this time the person he was rescuing was outside his official perimeter. But to another person who might be in need of rescue at the same time, that makes no difference.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:59 pm UTC

All of those types of jobs have crap pay. EMTs get paid minimum to get spat on or assaulted by the very people they are trying to help. Most firefighters are volunteer (aka paid 0/hr).

It's because they actually want to save lives that they are willing to work for so little. No one wants to file papers, which is why accountants make more.

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:05 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:All of those types of jobs have crap pay. EMTs get paid minimum to get spat on or assaulted by the very people they are trying to help. Most firefighters are volunteer (aka paid 0/hr).

It's because they actually want to save lives that they are willing to work for so little. No one wants to file papers, which is why accountants make more.

WTF, it ate my post.

Long story short - volunteer firemen still get a little cash. Think it was like $15 per call in the early 90s.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Dason

Postby Dason » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:26 pm UTC

Apparently San Diego's 18 minute fireworks show was condensed to about 15 seconds. I would have loved to have been there.

Amazing
double epsilon = -.0000001;

kiklion

Postby kiklion » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:59 pm UTC

emceng wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:All of those types of jobs have crap pay. EMTs get paid minimum to get spat on or assaulted by the very people they are trying to help. Most firefighters are volunteer (aka paid 0/hr).

WTF, it ate my post.

Long story short - volunteer firemen still get a little cash. Think it was like $15 per call in the early 90s.

And private lifeguards get paid better from my experience. These were lifeguards hired through some agency for a public beach AFAIK. Working in a private pool, my friends have received up to $15 / hour.

adho

Postby adho » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:10 am UTC

Ugh, I saw this in the paper. Private contractors? Ew.
I grew up in a union town in Australia, so our lifeguards are all well paid professionals employed directly by the local council. It's a tough job, some of the time.
Seems to be utterly bananas that leaving the protected area would be grounds for firing.
kiklion wrote:And private lifeguards get paid better from my experience. These were lifeguards hired through some agency for a public beach AFAIK. Working in a private pool, my friends have received up to $15 / hour.

Wow, I am never moving to America. Pool lifeguards here usually get well over $20, with penalties etc. on top.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:55 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:

Wouldn't it be much easier and politically acceptable to say

See, that would possibly be a good response if Joe Walsh had actually done useful stuff while in office. Which is why it wouldn't work.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:02 pm UTC

adho wrote:Wow, I am never moving to America. Pool lifeguards here usually get well over $20, with penalties etc. on top.

It all depends where you go. Some lifeguards make $50k/yr, most make shit. Average is about $23k, according to the internet. Even at the relatively meager pay of $50k/annum it's not easy since it's an intensely competitive job, as there are a lot more athletic people who dream of being paid to be at the beach all day while being the fantasy of bikini-clad women.

Back on topic, I still say the managers of that company should face criminal charges, or at the very least lose the contract (and having to forfeit all they were paid, since their policies were recklessly endangering the beach-going public. I understand there are rules and such, but what they did was at best, Lawful Stupid.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:32 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:
adho wrote:Wow, I am never moving to America. Pool lifeguards here usually get well over $20, with penalties etc. on top.

It all depends where you go. Some lifeguards make $50k/yr, most make shit. Average is about $23k, according to the internet. Even at the relatively meager pay of $50k/annum it's not easy since it's an intensely competitive job, as there are a lot more athletic people who dream of being paid to be at the beach all day while being the fantasy of bikini-clad women.

Back on topic, I still say the managers of that company should face criminal charges, or at the very least lose the contract (and having to forfeit all they were paid, since their policies were recklessly endangering the beach-going public. I understand there are rules and such, but what they did was at best, Lawful Stupid.

damn you all to heck, i just got sucked into TVTropes for the better part of two hours. (sigh)
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:33 pm UTC

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:27 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:How'd you get out, was it the Air Vent Passageway? Bathroom Break-Out? Convenient Decoy Cat?

Air vent. Thankfully, i had my Swiss army knife.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Return to “News & Articles”