In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

CorruptUser

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:09 pm UTC

Why not just undo Carter's tariffs on imported sugar and just use cane sugar instead of HFCS, as HFCS doesn't tell your body it's 'full'? It's kind of the cause of the obesity epidemic, but corn is harvested when it's as high as the elephant in the room's eye...

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:36 pm UTC

But what would all the poor corn farmers do then?

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:37 pm UTC

Ethanol, cow feed, tortillas chips. Corn prices are high enough right now, they could use a dip (as could the tortillas).
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:41 pm UTC

There are several types of corn grown in the U.S., with the major types including field corn, sweet corn, and popcorn. All are of the species, Zea mays, and can cross pollinate. Field corn (also known as dent corn or simply, corn) occupies the majority of the corn acres in the United States, with 93.6 million acres planted in 2007 and 86.0 million acres in 2008. Of the 14.4 billion bushels produced in the United States in 2007, 42% went to animal feed, 22% to produce ethanol, 17% to export, 9% for domestic food uses, and 10% surplus. In comparison, there were only approximately 380,000 acres of sweet corn grown nationwide in 2007, with the crop used as corn on the cob or for processing as canned or frozen corn.

Most corn they grow is not for people-food.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:45 pm UTC

Yeah, ethanol is a good use, but I doubt that corn is the most efficient plant to grow for that, however.

I really wish that we had a law making it illegal for a corporation to donate to politicians or to organizations that donate to politicians.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:49 pm UTC

Ethanol is only a good use if your only metric is "how much use can we get out of this corn". Replace that with "how much use can we get out of this farmland" and ethanol corn suddenly becomes a terrible waste. Tillable farmland is not something we have a gross excess of. Corn decidedly is.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:50 pm UTC

Unless you want to drink that ethanol.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:07 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Yeah, ethanol is a good use, but I doubt that corn is the most efficient plant to grow for that, however.

I really wish that we had a law making it illegal for a corporation to donate to politicians or to organizations that donate to politicians.

Ethanol is a horrible fuel. It exists using "going green" as an excuse to subisidize the corn industry. It's craptastic in terms of actually transferring power to vehicles, required huge redesigns of vehicles at much expense, requires lots and lots of fuel to grow, process and move, because it decreases the energy capacity of the gasoline it's mixed with...I would not be at all surprised if the whole ethanol mandate was a net loss for the planet.

bigglesworth wrote:I guess the amount of cancer from the plastic is outweighed by the benefit of not drinking bacteria-filled water.

The whole BPA thing only applies to certain types of plastic, and in any case, the one study that showed a correlation involved forcing a ridiculously large amount of BPA on rats, and IIRC, used a very small sample size of rats so the whole thing was in doubt.

At most, it shows that ingesting a liquidified plastic slurry in vast quantities may be bad for you at some point way down the road. The amount you get from drinking out of a plastic bottle is ludicrously irrelevant.

Also, if you want to do this, not all types of plastic are equally UV transparent. Look for a 1 in the recycling symbol on the bottom of the bottle. Additionally, use a filter. Certain large organisims can survive decent doses of UV, and in any case, you need the water to be fairly clear for the UV light to work properly.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:24 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:Yeah, ethanol is a good use, but I doubt that corn is the most efficient plant to grow for that, however.

Ethanol is a horrible fuel.
Maybe, but it's a great drink.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:34 pm UTC

boingboing
Bus driver Alexei Volkov, aka "The Punisher," is famous in Russia for exacting revenge on the rude drivers in the city of Zelenograd by simply not slowing down when they cut him off. Volkov claims to have been involved in more than 100 accidents in his career and the clips from his dashcam.

Watch the video. It's brilliant, in an understated way.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:01 pm UTC

Fire Brns wrote:
Mr. Bloomberg wrote:It would be irresponsible not to try to do everything we can to save lives,

BREAKING NEWS: TEEN OD's AFTER INJECTING 17 OZ OF MOUNTAIN DEWS.

But seriously, he is just trying to project a national image by being a busybody lawmaker. Too many people want their names in legislation and on monuments.

Three ban even applies to diet soda, which health effects are minor compared to the normal Sodas.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:04 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:[url=boingboing.net/2013/03/12/russian-bus-driver-enjoys-puni.html]boingboing[/url]
Bus driver Alexei Volkov, aka "The Punisher," is famous in Russia for exacting revenge on the rude drivers in the city of Zelenograd by simply not slowing down when they cut him off. Volkov claims to have been involved in more than 100 accidents in his career and the clips from his dashcam.

This is amazing, it's such an honest "I will not bow to jerks on the road" that should keep roads polite.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:08 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:
Fire Brns wrote:
Mr. Bloomberg wrote:It would be irresponsible not to try to do everything we can to save lives,

BREAKING NEWS: TEEN OD's AFTER INJECTING 17 OZ OF MOUNTAIN DEWS.

But seriously, he is just trying to project a national image by being a busybody lawmaker. Too many people want their names in legislation and on monuments.

Three ban even applies to diet soda, which health effects are minor compared to the normal Sodas.

That's especially ridiculous. Diet soda isn't the reason we're fat. We're fat because we stuff our faces with cheeseburgers and deep fried chicken. Seriously, look at the quintessentially american foods. Kind of a lot of them are pretty terribly unhealthy, and it's not like we are utterly unaware of this.

Has anyone ever said "damn, I thought that deep fried twinkie was GOOD for me."? Nah, we know exactly what we're doing.

So, the ban would mostly result in someone ordering two sodas instead of one. Probably at a two for one deal. Net difference: An extra cup gets wasted.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:13 pm UTC

Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

yurell

Postby yurell » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:27 pm UTC

Isn't there a social pressure to eat everything you've ordered in the US? I know there is (or seems to be) one here (not to the extent one is obliged to do so, though).
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:34 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:

Ethanol is a horrible fuel. It exists using "going green" as an excuse to subisidize the corn industry. It's craptastic in terms of actually transferring power to vehicles, required huge redesigns of vehicles at much expense, requires lots and lots of fuel to grow, process and move, because it decreases the energy capacity of the gasoline it's mixed with...I would not be at all surprised if the whole ethanol mandate was a net loss for the planet.

Ethanol has roughly 2/3 the energy of gasoline; ethanol mixed in with gasoline might get less total miles per gallon, but that doesn't that you get less mileage from the gasoline part of the gallon.

As for huge redesign, no, not really; Brazil has already done it.

Growing and processing ethanol does require fuel. So does mining and refining oil. The question becomes, at the end of the day, after fertilizers, transportation, manufacture, maintenance, etc, are taken into account, do you have more fuel out than you put in. Even with corn, the answer is yes. If we could make 'grassahol' from the corn stalk instead of just the seeds, it'd be incredibly efficient.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:35 pm UTC

Somewhat. My grandfather, who grew up in the Depression, ingrained into me the need to never waste food. It's stereotypical to remember being told as a child to finish your plate "because there are children starving in Africa."

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:35 pm UTC

yurell wrote:Isn't there a social pressure to eat everything you've ordered in the US? I know there is (or seems to be) one here (not to the extent one is obliged to do so, though).
Well, people would be hungry after ordering fast food but there was the social stigma initially of going back to order more. So they decide to offer larger meals so that people could just buy more food to start with. And now XL rather than Small is the new norm.

Or the pressure I remembered to finish a plate:
Mom wrote:Kids in Africa would be happy to eat a McDouble.
But I have an amazing metabolism.
Edit:ninja'd

Sizik

Postby Sizik » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:41 pm UTC

The way I'd see it, if you don't eat everything you ordered, you're wasting money.
she/they
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

dudiobugtron

Postby dudiobugtron » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:26 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:

Ethanol is a horrible fuel.
Maybe, but it's a great drink.

No, it's a terrible drink. It's a pretty desirable drug (or at least widely desired), but as drinks go it's pretty sub par.

Some drinks with ethanol in them are pretty good though.

Dark567
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:31 pm UTC

Did any of those look at soda specifically, because, at least in the US(where refills are generally free), I actually doubt this applies for soda. People will routinely order smaller 12 oz sodas, and then make multiple runs to refill. I suspect at least part of the portion size that comes into play with other foods is that you have to buy them again(or cook them again).

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:36 pm UTC

Why would they order two then?

Dark567

Postby Dark567 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:37 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Why would they order two then?
They guess when I read his statement it wasn't "going to the counter to order two" but "ordering a soda, drinking a soda, and in the same sitting ordering another(for free)" which is completely routine.

EDIT: Rereading it, I guess he was pointing out a 2-for-1 deal, which means my point didn't actually make much sense.....

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:19 am UTC

I know, personally, I am much more likely to finish a large soda when I don't really need more to drink than I am to get a refill on a small soda. As yurell says, it's the psychological and social pressure to finish everything you have in front of you. If I'm not thirsty and have an empty small cup then ordering a refill of a drink seems foolish and wasteful, but if I'm not thirsty and have a half-full large cup then not finishing it seems wasteful. The same reasoning applies to food - I always try to finish everything I order, and feel guilty when I don't manage it. This means I sometimes over-eat when portions are large, but that still feels like a better option than the guilt of leaving a lot of uneaten food.

nitePhyyre

Postby nitePhyyre » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:33 am UTC

Fire Brns wrote:
Zamfir wrote:[url=boingboing.net/2013/03/12/russian-bus-driver-enjoys-puni.html]boingboing[/url]
This is amazing, it's such an honest "I will not bow to jerks on the road" that should keep roads polite.
Do the two of you not drive cars? Half of those are completely acceptable lane changes. In one case, the car makes a perfectly fine lane change and the driver SPEEDS UP so that he can ram the other car.
sourmìlk wrote:Monopolies are not when a single company controls the market for a single product.

You don't become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard you become great in the process.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:57 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:

Ethanol has roughly 2/3 the energy of gasoline; ethanol mixed in with gasoline might get less total miles per gallon, but that doesn't that you get less mileage from the gasoline part of the gallon.

Growing and processing ethanol does require fuel. So does mining and refining oil. The question becomes, at the end of the day, after fertilizers, transportation, manufacture, maintenance, etc, are taken into account, do you have more fuel out than you put in. Even with corn, the answer is yes. If we could make 'grassahol' from the corn stalk instead of just the seeds, it'd be incredibly efficient.

The energy return on energy invested (EROEI) of corn ethanol is about 1.3. Compare that to domestic oil, which is around 15 these days. Anything with an EROEI of less than 1 should never make it to the market; 1.3 is borderline, and from a financial perspective I'm reasonably sure it wouldn't survive without the substantial government support the industry receives. There is a reason the rest of the world uses crops like sugarcane.

As for cellulosic ethanol, I've been waiting for it for the better part of a decade and I still haven't seen any appreciable developments. It has my full support if it ever gets off the ground but after this long, I am cynical.

kiklion

Postby kiklion » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:16 pm UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:Somewhat. My grandfather, who grew up in the Depression, ingrained into me the need to never waste food. It's stereotypical to remember being told as a child to finish your plate "because there are children starving in Africa."

I heard a lot of the same stuff from my parent's. However, luckily they changed the message as I grew up from 'eat everything on your plate' to 'don't take more from the serving plates then you need' to 'cook/order food that you can store and reheat well'.

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:24 pm UTC

Hawknc wrote:As for cellulosic ethanol, I've been waiting for it for the better part of a decade and I still haven't seen any appreciable developments. It has my full support if it ever gets off the ground but after this long, I am cynical.

Yeah, most cellulosic stuff is still lab-scale, as far as I can tell. I was at a lecture from one of the higher-ups in a company called TMO Renewables a while back, and their process is pretty far along in scale-up. But obviously it's hard to know how confident to be in the optimism of someone in the company (though it was more of a scientific lecture than a sales pitch).
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:27 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:

Er, we already did the redesign and ate those costs. A lot of older vehicles had severe problems during the mandatory inclusion of some ethanol into our gasoline. Going 100% ethanol would require another one, but the logic of "another nation did it" does not demonstrate that it is a good solution.

I like the convincing no math at all there. Cornell University estimated that it currently takes 1.3 gallons of oil to make a gallon of ethanol via corn. Corn takes a lot of fertilizer and what not to grow. Those are heavily oil derived. It gets planted and harvested via tractors running on oil.

And the corn to ethonol conversion is pretty terrible. You're looking at 450 lbs of corn to fill the tank of your SUV with ethonol. Thus, even small oil inputs into corn production rapidly become a serious problem.

Switching the US over to 100% corn-based ethanol would require more farmland than the US has. It's a pretty terrible use of resources.

Non-corn ethanol could be better, but that's not what we're using right now, and basing current policy on tech that we're not actually using is kind of silly.

Dark567 wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:Why would they order two then?
They guess when I read his statement it wasn't "going to the counter to order two" but "ordering a soda, drinking a soda, and in the same sitting ordering another(for free)" which is completely routine.

EDIT: Rereading it, I guess he was pointing out a 2-for-1 deal, which means my point didn't actually make much sense.....

Free refills are also a common cultural practice in the US, but my logic was that since soda is so cheap that it's commonly given away in large amounts to create the impression of a better deal, and the 2 for 1 deal is also really common in the US...nothing in the law stops them from doing a "buy one 16 oz, get one free" deal instead of selling you a 32 oz.

Jofur

Postby Jofur » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:30 pm UTC

kiklion wrote:
Iulus Cofield wrote:Somewhat. My grandfather, who grew up in the Depression, ingrained into me the need to never waste food. It's stereotypical to remember being told as a child to finish your plate "because there are children starving in Africa."

I heard a lot of the same stuff from my parent's. However, luckily they changed the message as I grew up from 'eat everything on your plate' to 'don't take more from the serving plates then you need' to 'cook/order food that you can store and reheat well'.

Yeah I had the same thing as lulus Cofield after living with my grandmother. But now I agree a lot with kiklion. I really do just hate waste. I absolutely despised working at restaurants because of how much was thrown away. (Entire plates of food!)

So while I do try to buy less/prepare less/eat leftovers I do feel a lot of pressure to eat everything that's on my plate to avoid waste.
Granted, I am also one of those bastards with a rediculous metabolism.
Everybody is doing it and nobody knows why.

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:41 pm UTC

Yeah, and there are other factors. We were told to finish our meals, usually because it was 'leave the green beans uneaten, then beg for ice cream in an hour'.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:49 pm UTC

Trigger Warning:

Delhi accused 'regularly raped'

So... Much... Irony....

P.S. My Mama taught me I should always finish my food, otherwise I get the belt.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:19 pm UTC

Nylonathatep wrote:Trigger Warning:

So... Much... Irony....

P.S. My Mama taught me I should always finish my food, otherwise I get the belt.

Prison rape is terrible and we should do what we can to stop it.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:20 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:

So... Much... Irony....

Step 1: Stop doings things so heinous that not only do we get sent to prison, but everyone else there wants to rape us.
Step 2: Hey, we're done already!

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:42 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Step 1: Stop doings things so heinous that not only do we get sent to prison, but everyone else there wants to rape us.

Notice the headline: "Dehli accused". They haven't been convicted.

So:
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Step 1: Don't ever get accused of doing something heinous

FTFY

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:48 pm UTC

I was referring to the general problem with it... as, I assume, you were as well.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

I was saying prison rape is not some amusing and good form of vigilante justice.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:28 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
Роберт wrote:

So... Much... Irony....

Step 1: Stop doings things so heinous that not only do we get sent to prison, but everyone else there wants to rape us.

Making jokes about blaming the victim regarding prison rape? In poor taste.

yurell

Postby yurell » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:42 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Stop doings things so heinous that not only do we get sent to prison, but everyone else there wants to rape us.

That's a disgusting display of victim-blaming, whether you were joking or not.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

Return to “News & Articles”