In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:39 pm UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:Naked woman breaks into Texas home and plants herself in bathtub, authorities say

And when cops questioned why she was wearing only her smile, she told them she honestly didn't believe she had done anything wrong.


I like to imagine that when they found her she said, "Sup."

A facebook friend of mine was arguing about how absurd the door to door search in Boston was during the manhunt last week, and said 'Here in Texas we handle home intruders not by calling 911, but with a 9mm! I'm armed right now'. So I linked this and said he was full of shit.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Tyndmyr
Posts: 11443
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:38 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Tyndmyr » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:57 pm UTC

Well, different situations warrant different responses. Naked lady showing up in your house, while puzzling, isn't quite the same as a crazed bomber.

User avatar
ahammel
My Little Cabbage
Posts: 2135
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:46 am UTC
Location: Vancouver BC
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby ahammel » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:59 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:A facebook friend of mine was arguing about how absurd the door to door search in Boston was during the manhunt last week, and said 'Here in Texas we handle home intruders not by calling 911, but with a 9mm! I'm armed right now'.
So, basically, 'you guys are all pussies for not engaging a multiple murder in single combat'?

I have to commend your relative lack of profanity in responding to that.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

User avatar
LaserGuy
Posts: 4581
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby LaserGuy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:51 pm UTC

The root cause of terrorism is terrorists.

User avatar
ahammel
My Little Cabbage
Posts: 2135
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:46 am UTC
Location: Vancouver BC
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby ahammel » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:02 pm UTC

Does that mean that terrorists are the uncaused cause?
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid
Posts: 1075
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:17 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:03 am UTC


mike-l
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:16 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby mike-l » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:50 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:The root cause of terrorism is terrorists.


What a spectacularly stupid interview.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

User avatar
Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!
Posts: 11265
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 9:16 pm UTC
Location: Prince George In A Can
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:57 pm UTC

mike-l wrote:
LaserGuy wrote:The root cause of terrorism is terrorists.
What a spectacularly stupid interview.

Ladies and gentlemen, THAT is the party currently in elected office in Canada.

Oi.

mike-l
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:16 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby mike-l » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:45 pm UTC

Yeah, sadly I know. We really need electoral reform - having a majority government that received less than 40% of the vote is a major flaw (not that this is in any way unique to the conservative party).
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

User avatar
folkhero
Posts: 1775
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:34 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby folkhero » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:01 pm UTC


I've actually read about this before, not sure how I stumbled on it. Interesting to see that it's been confirmed. While abstract expressionism isn't my favorite art, I'll take it over dreary socialist realism any day of the week.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

User avatar
Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!
Posts: 11265
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 9:16 pm UTC
Location: Prince George In A Can
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:33 pm UTC

mike-l wrote:Yeah, sadly I know. We really need electoral reform - having a majority government that received less than 40% of the vote is a major flaw (not that this is in any way unique to the conservative party).

It still amuses me that there was an investigation into massive electoral and voter fraud, the fraud was confirmed, the perpetrators came forward and admitted what they did and that it was official party policy... AND THEN THE INVESTIGATION STOPPED.

...

I may not like Trudeau, but I may vote for him simply because he isn't a colossal dick.

User avatar
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad
Posts: 3038
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Steax » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:14 am UTC

LaserGuy wrote:The root cause of terrorism is terrorists.


“There is no question that this happened because there is someone who feels completely excluded,” Trudeau said. “Completely at war with innocents. At war with a society. And our approach has to be, where do those tensions come from?"


That might be the most succinct form of the argument from that side of the debate, actually. Very elegantly worded... And very stupidly replied to.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

mike-l
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:16 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby mike-l » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:12 am UTC

Here's the actual statement by Justin

PETER MANSBRIDGE (HOST, CBC’S “MANSBRIDGE ONE ON ONE“):
(Ottawa – Yesterday) Let me try to ask this as fairly as I can, because it’s only a couple of hours after something has happened that clearly was not an accident, in Boston. People have died, many people are injured. You’re the Canadian prime minister, what do you do?
JUSTIN TRUDEAU (LEADER OF THE LIBERAL PARTY OF CANADA):
First thing, you offer support and sympathy and condolences and, you know, can we send down, you know, EMTs or, I mean, as we contributed after 9/11? I mean, is there any material immediate support we have we can offer? And then at the same time, you know, over the coming days, we have to look at the root causes. Now we don’t know now whether it was, you know, terrorism or a single crazy or, you know, a domestic issue or a foreign issue, I mean, all of those questions. But there is no question that this happened because there is someone who feels completely excluded, completely at war with innocents, at war with a society. And our approach has to be, okay, where do those tensions come from? I mean, yes, we need to make sure that we’re promoting security and we’re, you know, keeping our borders safe and, you know, monitoring the kinds of, you know, violent subgroups that happen around. But we also have to monitor and encourage people to not point fingers at each other and lay blame for personal ills or societal ills on a specific group, whether it be the West or the government or Bostonians or whatever it is, because it’s that idea of dividing humans against ourselves, of pointing out that they’re not like us and, you know, in order to achieve our political goals we can kill innocents here. That’s something that no society in the world that is healthy, regardless of ideology, will accept.


Of course the conservatives keep hammering that he didn't say exactly what he said in his first 2 sentences.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

User avatar
LaserGuy
Posts: 4581
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby LaserGuy » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:57 am UTC

I love the reactions of the two people sitting next to him.

Paradigm_Arsonist
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:14 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Paradigm_Arsonist » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:31 am UTC

mike-l wrote:Yeah, sadly I know. We really need electoral reform - having a majority government that received less than 40% of the vote is a major flaw (not that this is in any way unique to the conservative party).


In the UK, the first-past-the-poll system does benefit the Conservative Party and perhaps the Labour Party too. When the Lib Dems tried to get electoral reform in the coalition government, they could only persuade the Tories to get a referendum on whether or not to switch to AV -- they couldn't have proportional representation on the menu. Then to Tories and Labour spread a load of FUD, getting some people out to the polls to vote against it, and the rest of the population didn't really care. Then, many members of the Labour Party spoke messages to try to win the sympathy of Lib Dem and AV supporters, despite having attacked AV.

So the two biggest parties have chosen to support, by misinforming the nation, the system that keeps them in power against the general will of the population. This raises questions about how much these parties really care about democracy.

User avatar
Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs
Posts: 6569
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:55 am UTC
Location: Colorado

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Thesh » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:52 am UTC

In the US, the only thing the major political parties agree on is the two party system (including that minor presidential candidates shouldn't be allowed to participate in the main presidential debates). Major political parties do not care about democracy or will of the people, they care about power and their own ideology; I'm sure this holds no matter where you go.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Tyndmyr
Posts: 11443
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:38 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Tyndmyr » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:46 pm UTC

ahammel wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:A facebook friend of mine was arguing about how absurd the door to door search in Boston was during the manhunt last week, and said 'Here in Texas we handle home intruders not by calling 911, but with a 9mm! I'm armed right now'.
So, basically, 'you guys are all pussies for not engaging a multiple murder in single combat'?

I have to commend your relative lack of profanity in responding to that.


Cultural difference. It's the land where posse's and such were a normal way of enforcing the law not all that long ago. Hell, they still have such organizations about from place to place. Texas tends to have very particular cultural attitudes about firearms and crime.

On the flip side, in Mass, only about 1/33 houses even has a firearm.

So yeah, they're gonna react totally differently. Each culture might well see the other's reaction as strange, because to them, it is.


Also, agreed w/regard to two party system and democracy.

User avatar
Wnderer
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:10 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Wnderer » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:26 pm UTC

You can see Saturn from a helicopter.

http://us.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c3#/vid ... -views.cnn

I think the explanation to why the Earth doesn't block the sun light to Saturn is funny.

Princess Marzipan
Posts: 7717
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 5:28 am UTC
Location: neither a road, nor an island

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Princess Marzipan » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:00 am UTC

Wnderer wrote:You can see Saturn from a helicopter.

http://us.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c3#/vid ... -views.cnn

I think the explanation to why the Earth doesn't block the sun light to Saturn is funny.
The weather forecast says it'll be a chilly 212 degrees Celsius.

...
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

User avatar
Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs
Posts: 6569
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:55 am UTC
Location: Colorado

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Thesh » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:07 am UTC

The sign is kind of like mass: you can drop it from an equation or result and it doesn't matter.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

User avatar
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad
Posts: 3038
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Steax » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:51 am UTC

Wnderer wrote:You can see Saturn from a helicopter.

http://us.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c3#/vid ... -views.cnn

I think the explanation to why the Earth doesn't block the sun light to Saturn is funny.


"Nine and a half times the size of earth"

They really should specify that is' the darn diameter, not like 9 earths lumped into one.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

User avatar
folkhero
Posts: 1775
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:34 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby folkhero » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:54 am UTC

Steax wrote:
Wnderer wrote:You can see Saturn from a helicopter.

http://us.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c3#/vid ... -views.cnn

I think the explanation to why the Earth doesn't block the sun light to Saturn is funny.


"Nine and a half times the size of earth"

They really should specify that is' the darn diameter, not like 9 earths lumped into one.

Nine and a half, eight-hundred fifty seven; it's pretty much the same thing.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

User avatar
LaserGuy
Posts: 4581
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:02 am UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:
ahammel wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:A facebook friend of mine was arguing about how absurd the door to door search in Boston was during the manhunt last week, and said 'Here in Texas we handle home intruders not by calling 911, but with a 9mm! I'm armed right now'.
So, basically, 'you guys are all pussies for not engaging a multiple murder in single combat'?

I have to commend your relative lack of profanity in responding to that.


Cultural difference. It's the land where posse's and such were a normal way of enforcing the law not all that long ago. Hell, they still have such organizations about from place to place. Texas tends to have very particular cultural attitudes about firearms and crime.

On the flip side, in Mass, only about 1/33 houses even has a firearm.

So yeah, they're gonna react totally differently. Each culture might well see the other's reaction as strange, because to them, it is.


Also, agreed w/regard to two party system and democracy.


On the plus side, you probably don't have to put up with door-to-door salespeople/religious proselytizers in Texas.

User avatar
Coyne
Posts: 1100
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:07 am UTC
Location: Orlando, Florida
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Coyne » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:25 am UTC

folkhero wrote:
Steax wrote:
Wnderer wrote:You can see Saturn from a helicopter.

http://us.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c3#/vid ... -views.cnn

I think the explanation to why the Earth doesn't block the sun light to Saturn is funny.


"Nine and a half times the size of earth"

They really should specify that is' the darn diameter, not like 9 earths lumped into one.

Nine and a half, eight-hundred fifty seven; it's pretty much the same thing.


Probably the best part of all is that, given the relative size of the Sun and Earth, the Earth's shadow is a cone. So, at the distance of Saturn, Earth's shadow wouldn't cover a golf ball.
In all fairness...

User avatar
PolakoVoador
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:11 pm UTC
Location: Brazil

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby PolakoVoador » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:29 am UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:
Wnderer wrote:You can see Saturn from a helicopter.

http://us.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c3#/vid ... -views.cnn

I think the explanation to why the Earth doesn't block the sun light to Saturn is funny.
The weather forecast says it'll be a chilly 212 degrees Celsius.

...


Of all the dumb things said, this one hurt me the most.

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5494
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby KnightExemplar » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:05 am UTC

PolakoVoador wrote:
Princess Marzipan wrote:
Wnderer wrote:You can see Saturn from a helicopter.

http://us.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c3#/vid ... -views.cnn

I think the explanation to why the Earth doesn't block the sun light to Saturn is funny.
The weather forecast says it'll be a chilly 212 degrees Celsius.

...


Of all the dumb things said, this one hurt me the most.


Maybe. But according to a quick google check... the average surface (erm... "cloud") temperature of Saturn is

The temperature at the top of Saturn's clouds averages -285° F (-175 °C). The core of Saturn is much hotter, estimated at around 11,700 °C.


So "-212 degrees Celsius" is closer to the real temperature of Saturn, which is both chilly here and over there.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5494
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby KnightExemplar » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:27 am UTC

Sorry for double-post, but its a new issue anyway.

Microsoft puts free WiFi router into every Forbes Magazine as part of advertizing stunt: http://designtaxi.com/news/357287/Micro ... nt-Issues/ . Microsoft purchased thousands of wireless routers (and T-Mobile is providing the free connection). A ridiculous advertizing stunt, sure, and proof that we are living in the future.

In a related issue, Entertainment Weekly included a full (disposable) Android Phone... http://mashable.com/2012/10/02/ew-has-s ... ne-inside/ . The purpose of it was to connect to twitter and show live-tweets while you're reading the magazine.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Ubik
Posts: 1016
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:43 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Ubik » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:09 am UTC

That seems wasteful, most of those are going to be just thrown away once they stop working.

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5494
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby KnightExemplar » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:34 am UTC

Ubik wrote:That seems wasteful, most of those are going to be just thrown away once they stop working.


Precisely my point.

It has become cheap enough for mass-electronics to be made, that they're making literally disposable twitter-feeds and routers for advertizements now.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

User avatar
bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster
Posts: 1366
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:01 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby bentheimmigrant » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:13 am UTC

Game developers develop game developing game; release cracked version for pirates to see what it feels like.
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott

Chen
Posts: 5571
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Chen » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:21 pm UTC

bentheimmigrant wrote:Game developers develop game developing game; release cracked version for pirates to see what it feels like.


Those statistics are pretty painful to look at actually. 93% of the versions pirated? I like the fact they included code so they could determine that though and made it so the game got unplayable in said pirated version which is kinda funny.

User avatar
LaserGuy
Posts: 4581
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:29 pm UTC

The 93% figure is for day one release... Not at all surprising, esp. for an indie game with minimal marketing.

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Роберт » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:34 pm UTC

bentheimmigrant wrote:Game developers develop game developing game; release cracked version for pirates to see what it feels like.

That's actually pretty funny.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 10493
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:37 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:
Ubik wrote:That seems wasteful, most of those are going to be just thrown away once they stop working.


Precisely my point.

It has become cheap enough for mass-electronics to be made, that they're making literally disposable twitter-feeds and routers for advertizements now.


But sadly, electronics use small amounts of rare earths which are a pain to mine. I wouldn't mind a deposit on all electronics, like $20 for phones and $50 for computers, that you get back when you recycle the electronics. That way we can produce electronics slightly cheaper with less pollution and landfill space used. I assume melting down a phone for materials is less energy and pollution intensive than mining/processing palladium and so forth.

User avatar
Diadem
Posts: 5654
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:03 am UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Diadem » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:38 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:The 93% figure is for day one release... Not at all surprising, esp. for an indie game with minimal marketing.

Yeah, let's not forget that many people use pirating as a kind of free trial. They will pirate a few dozen games then buy the ones they like. I don't think that kind of piracy costs the game industry anything.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

User avatar
PeteP
What the peck?
Posts: 1451
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:51 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby PeteP » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:47 pm UTC

Chen wrote:
bentheimmigrant wrote:Game developers develop game developing game; release cracked version for pirates to see what it feels like.


Those statistics are pretty painful to look at actually. 93% of the versions pirated? I like the fact they included code so they could determine that though and made it so the game got unplayable in said pirated version which is kinda funny.

Eh it's not really surprising. Take people who go around passing out brochures or tiny bibles, I wouldn't give them a single cent, but since they pass them out for free I take them and look at a few pages of the brochure or roll my eyes at some bible pages before throwing them out.
It's not quite the same as starting a torrent, but both take almost zero effort and no money so even people who have never heard of the game and have almost no interest might download it if the torrent appears.
Also, I don't think all that many people have actually heard about the game, so the number of people just buying it on day one is very low.
I would find the statistics much more interesting if they said how long people actually used the game after pirating it.


That aside I wouldn't call it pirated in this case. The people thought they were pirating it, but if you go around giving out your own product, then I would call it a gift.:P

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5494
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby KnightExemplar » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:07 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:The 93% figure is for day one release... Not at all surprising, esp. for an indie game with minimal marketing.


That is the best case scenario actually.

If someone is pirating the "real" game, then it would be included in the ~6% statistics. And considering that the game is DRM-free, uploading a real copy is extremely easy to do. So we know the piracy rate is AT LEAST 93%. It can be far greater in this case, especially when the real pirates out there start uploading the legitimate copy.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

mousewiz
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:50 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby mousewiz » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:11 pm UTC

PeteP wrote:
Chen wrote:
bentheimmigrant wrote:Game developers develop game developing game; release cracked version for pirates to see what it feels like.


Those statistics are pretty painful to look at actually. 93% of the versions pirated? I like the fact they included code so they could determine that though and made it so the game got unplayable in said pirated version which is kinda funny.

Eh it's not really surprising. Take people who go around passing out brochures or tiny bibles, I wouldn't give them a single cent, but since they pass them out for free I take them and look at a few pages of the brochure or roll my eyes at some bible pages before throwing them out.
It's not quite the same as starting a torrent, but both take almost zero effort and no money so even people who have never heard of the game and have almost no interest might download it if the torrent appears.
Also, I don't think all that many people have actually heard about the game, so the number of people just buying it on day one is very low.
I would find the statistics much more interesting if they said how long people actually used the game after pirating it.


That aside I wouldn't call it pirated in this case. The people thought they were pirating it, but if you go around giving out your own product, then I would call it a gift.:P

Indeed. It's a crippled demo with an interesting gimmick being used to market the full version.

Fire Brns
Posts: 1114
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:25 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Fire Brns » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:18 pm UTC

I'm pretty sad because half my friends openly admit they never pay for digital media unless they think the creator deserves it*. I pay for my games, albeit half the time secondhand...
But I don't understand the argument for pirating as a demo: I can easily find an actual demo, game play videos, or borrow it from a friends house first for virtually any game.

*never
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

User avatar
PeteP
What the peck?
Posts: 1451
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:51 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby PeteP » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:43 pm UTC

Fire Brns wrote:I'm pretty sad because half my friends openly admit they never pay for digital media unless they think the creator deserves it*. I pay for my games, albeit half the time secondhand...
But I don't understand the argument for pirating as a demo: I can easily find an actual demo, game play videos, or borrow it from a friends house first for virtually any game.

*never

They still make demos? (Well yes some still do.) But counter question why do that if you can just download it? I consider pirating it and borowing it from a friend as morally equivalent. Now you might work from different axioms, but that in itself is an answer: Because they don't share your morals.


Return to “News & Articles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests