In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Thesh » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:45 am UTC

Coyne wrote:Frankly, looking at the situation as an outsider, I don't see any way out for Detroit. Flint doesn't trust Detroit's ability to continue to operate their system; that's why Flint is disconnecting. There's no one left to pay. The fundamental problem is that there's no work (14.5% unemployment) and the population that peaked at 1.85 million in 1950 was down to 714,000 in 2012 (Wikipedia says 681,000 in 2013).

There's always a minimum cost just for maintenance of a water system; for pipelines, valves, pumps, and etc. If Wikipedia is right, they've lost 33,000 people--4.6% of the population--in a year; I don't see how the people remaining can even pay the infrastructure costs. When Detroit can't do that anymore...no water for anyone.

Where do they go from here? Federal subsidy?

It needs federal help. An idea I came up with a long time ago (although I am probably not the first) as a general crime reduction/poverty reduction strategy is this:

Step one is a government program to subsidize repair and upgrades of homes, buildings and infrastructure in impoverished and high crime areas. This includes being homes and buildings up to code, cleaning up mold, leaks, improving the yards (possibly including a native plant or rock garden that doesn't require a lot of maintenance or water), painting homes, new carpeting, installing new doors and windows, low flow toilets, low flow shower heads, installing insulation, solar panels, energy efficient AC for homes with central air, etc. The goal is to improve health and safety, which can bring you some benefit with healthcare costs down the line, while also reducing utility consumption. Also, streets would be paved, sidewalks repaired, and just in the city property in-general cleaned up with some beautification efforts. You can also use the opportunity to lay fiber optic cable.

I suspect the psychological impact from going to a run-down neighborhood to a clean, well kept neighborhood would improve quality of life greatly while reducing crime. For doing all the work, the emphasis would be on hiring locally; this creates jobs, and makes sure a large portion of the money stays within the neighborhoods. You increase the value of property, while simultaneously increasing the incomes of the people who live there.

Step two is small business subsidies. Help impoverished people get money to open up small businesses within their cities. This, again, helps grow the areas while reducing poverty, and creating jobs. On top of this, you would subsidize job training and placement services, to help low income people find good paying jobs. You might also want to see about reducing school classroom sizes and doing whatever you can to improve the quality of the schools themselves. You could set up tutoring services for students that are behind, help people who have dropped out get their GEDs, etc.

Also, I was reading this article the other day where a similar idea was implemented:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... -gun-death
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:24 am UTC

Why not spend that money on some other city with the same size; what makes Detroit so fucking special? Cities exist for reasons. Detroit existed because of The Erie Canal, which connected all of the Great Lakes region to the rest of the world. Cattle and other produce would flow to Chicago, across the Great Lakes to Detroit, then to Buffalo, then across the canal to Albany, then down the Hudson to New York City, then to Europe. Goods would flow back to NYC, then all the way back to the farmers in the Midwest. Each city in effect became its own port, industries boomed, trade flourished, cultures became exposed to one another, Buffalo English becomes proper American English, immigration brought new ideas, new industries grew as a result, etc. This is why CMEX and NYSE are where they are. Anyway, the industries developed where they did.

Fast forward a hundred years or so. The canal is eventually made obsolete by rail and trucks starting in the 1950s (yes, that long). But the industries are where they are because that's where they were; inertia. Fast forward another 20 years. Massive incompetence in the auto industry causes Detroit to collapse. Blame pig-headed management, self-absorbed unions, incompetent accountants, greedy foreigners, whoever, doesn't matter. The industries are now gone, meaning the inertia is gone too. The reason the industries were there in the first place, being located along a major trading route, no longer exists. All that had kept Detroit alive after the Erie Canal became obsolete was inertia, and while inertia was a big reason, there is no more inertia. Rather than spend billions on bringing a million people back to a city for no reason than 'people used to be there', you could put those people in a place where there actually IS a good reason for them to be there. We have ores to mine, timber to harvest, farms to tend; put the people there, not the city with jack shit to do.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:33 am UTC

I don't think we should do it only for Detroit, I think we should do it for all impoverished areas, but a lot of the problems with Detroit is due to the social situation there. The crime and poverty is what caused a lot of people to leave, which reinforced the problems. Second, there are still people there; moving is expensive, and honestly I don't see why we should expect everyone to pack up and leave. Cities may have been created for a reason, but after hundreds of years those reasons cease to be important. The reason cities exist, in the end, is because a lot of people live there.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:58 am UTC

And not as many live there now. Detroit is no more important than any other city of the same number of people.

As for being forced to move? Tough shit; I had to move 3 times in the past few years before I got my permanent job. Oh, it's hard to move when you have family? I was unable to even start a family because I kept moving so much. You think it's easy to meet people when you move to a city with no friends, no relatives, no connections, etc, when virtually everyone else in that city has lived there since birth and already have all the friends they want?

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:27 am UTC

I'm sure if you go to an impoverished area in Detroit and explain how you had to move, they will feel so sorry for you. I mean, if you can do it, then why can't they? They still can afford food somehow, so they must be able to afford to move. But hey, fuck them, they're the ones who are living in a city that had economic problems. What's next? Helping starving people in Africa! Hey, move out of the desert, morons.

Crissa

Postby Crissa » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:33 am UTC

Moving is expensive. And basically impossible for someone who is poor or ever fell in a bad light with the law. Moving is desirable, but where would they go, and what work would they do when they got there?

If you think this is bad, realize that the undocumented immigrants come from places with unemployment rates of 50% or so.

-Crissa

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:17 pm UTC

And those 'undocumented workers' moved to a country whose language they don't even speak, with even less opportunity than the people already here, and they figure it out.

If you want to establish some sort of government program to help people find jobs in other cities, like providing transportation subsidies or something, yeah I could get behind that. Just not throwing more money at a city that died years ago.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:23 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:I don't think we should do it only for Detroit, I think we should do it for all impoverished areas, but a lot of the problems with Detroit is due to the social situation there. The crime and poverty is what caused a lot of people to leave, which reinforced the problems. Second, there are still people there; moving is expensive, and honestly I don't see why we should expect everyone to pack up and leave. Cities may have been created for a reason, but after hundreds of years those reasons cease to be important. The reason cities exist, in the end, is because a lot of people live there.

Crime and poverty do not spring from a vaccum. The economic reason for Detroit vanished. Well, that's not precisely right...Americans still love cars, they just don't love Detroit made cars. Places like Georgia are doin' fine at making cars. The economic strategy of jacking up prices to subsidize all of the things tends to fail hard when competing against more inexpensive options.

All the subsidization in the world will not fix that basic failing.

Thesh wrote:I'm sure if you go to an impoverished area in Detroit and explain how you had to move, they will feel so sorry for you. I mean, if you can do it, then why can't they? They still can afford food somehow, so they must be able to afford to move. But hey, fuck them, they're the ones who are living in a city that had economic problems. What's next? Helping starving people in Africa! Hey, move out of the desert, morons.

You CAN move, at least in America. I do not dispute that it may suck, but we have a great deal more options for mobility than starving folks in Africa, generally speaking. And yes, they DO move. Famine is a major cause of population movement.

In fact, the people of Detroit have been moving. It's not an instant process, but they are getting the hell out. The city has been bleeding people for quite some time. Obviously, the tradeoff of when it'll be worth moving is different for everyone, but Detroit has experienced a pretty massive loss of people.

addams

Postby addams » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:44 pm UTC

The people need help.
Yes. It is so awful some places the people would rather be anywhere else.

They come here.
For many reasons, they come here.

I am here and this place rocks.
I was born here. Birth right?

I see and speak to a lot of people that come here.
Refugees. Some are having a Very hard time.

I have spent time with mostly men that are Starving and have no where to turn.
I saw one this morning.

I am not feeling well. I needed a 7-up.
I went to the store. I saw one and I am too weak to stop and help.

The Police, once upon a time, helped those people get to where they need to be to get food and shelter.
The Police can't see them unless they commit a crime, these days.

He is like a ghost.
What the Hell is Wrong with the people of the US??

What kind of people are we?
Not very damn good is my first guess.

To be a good citizen takes education.
To be extraordinarily good takes education, training and team work.

We are such a bunch of individuals we will watch other human beings in despair and feel and think, Nothing.
I have reached out to people that show up. If God puts them in my hands, I do my best. Not good enough sometimes.

I smelled what I thought was alcohol and was wrong at least twice.
That smell is the smell of the body digesting its self.

When a man smells like that and is underweight,
Give that man the benefit of the doubt.

The one from this morning I can't help, because I am too ill myself.
You Europeans, esp. the Dutch, can sleep easy knowing your people work together toward something better than this.

Professionals are paid to help in Civilized Nations.
The US is Not a shining light on a hill.
The US is a dangerous and unkind place.
The views are extraordinary, if you get away from people.

If the people from New Jersey or Detroit show up without support,
It could get Ugly.

Those are tough people.
They will not come alone, like the guy from this morning did.

Anarchy is one of the Ugliest things I have ever seen.

Controlled Chaos is fun. It looks a little like Anarchy.
The difference is most people are smiling and there is a Go To Guy.

I have been the Go To Guy in Controlled Chaos.
It is fun, if my subordinates are trustworthy.

The people of Detroit can come here.
We have water. The food situation could be a bit difficult.

I know from Experience, the toilet situation would be a NightMare!
Our people are not Tame enough. Don't argue with me. I'll win.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Crissa

Postby Crissa » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:00 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Just not throwing more money at a city that died years ago.

That's dumb. We're building new cities why, exactly?

-Crissa

addams

Postby addams » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:26 pm UTC

Crissa wrote:

-Crissa

Maybe Detroit is like a field that needs to be left 'fallow' for a few years.
It can be rebuilt with all nice stuff while the people find new and interesting lives, ElseWhere.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:22 pm UTC

Crissa wrote:

-Crissa

Because the new cities have reasons why they are being on built where they are being built. Reasons a lot more compelling than "well, there used to be a city here". Reasons like "a lot of oil is here" or reasons like "this is a major trading port".

addams

Postby addams » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:52 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:
Crissa wrote:

-Crissa

Because the new cities have reasons why they are being on built where they are being built. Reasons a lot more compelling than "well, there used to be a city here". Reasons like "a lot of oil is here" or reasons like "this is a major trading port".

In the Middle East some guy built a Huge City, just because he could.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Crissa

Postby Crissa » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:24 am UTC

Those sound like terrible reasons to build a city. Oil is a boom commodity, it's there for a little while, then it's gone. And the major trading ports are already built. Detroit is in the middle of them.

-Crissa

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:43 am UTC

Crissa wrote:Those sound like terrible reasons to build a city. Oil is a boom commodity, it's there for a little while, then it's gone. And the major trading ports are already built. Detroit is in the middle of them.

-Crissa

1) People move to the city for work. Oil may not be there forever, but people need to live there while they do. And then, they are there for intertia. Read my post before commenting.
2) The ports are gone. No one uses the Erie Canal these day. Detroit is in the middle of nothing.

addams

Postby addams » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:59 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:
Crissa wrote:Those sound like terrible reasons to build a city. Oil is a boom commodity, it's there for a little while, then it's gone. And the major trading ports are already built. Detroit is in the middle of them.

-Crissa

1) People move to the city for work. Oil may not be there forever, but people need to live there while they do. And then, they are there for intertia. Read my post before commenting.
2) The ports are gone. No one uses the Erie Canal these day. Detroit is in the middle of nothing.

ok. xkcd has spoken.

Detroit is closed for Remodeling.
Where are the people going to go, again?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

WilliamLehnsherr

Postby WilliamLehnsherr » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:28 am UTC

I may not be abandoning Detroit, but I am abandoning the discussion on it.

If you're flying in or out of the UK, make sure your phone is charged: http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-pla ... 3bmod.html

I have to admit, it wasn't until I was about to click "submit" that I realised the point of this. It seems that security wants to be able to look through contacts so they can check there isn't a "call this number to detonate" listed.

Also, going by the fact that it blatantly says "and not just those on US-bound flights", I guess I was supposed to know that this already applied to people flying from the UK to US? Seeing as I'm Australian, I didn't. And seeing as it's an Australian website, it seems strange for them to assume I knew that.
Last edited by WilliamLehnsherr on Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:32 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:41 am UTC

WilliamLehnsherr wrote:Also, going by the fact that it blatantly says "and not just those on US-bound flights",I guess I was supposed to know that this already applied to people flying from the UK to US? Seeing as I'm Australian, I didn't. And seeing as it's an Australian website, seems strange for me to assume I knew that.

I saw an article about it being required for US-bound flights earlier this week on the BBC, so I'd assume that SMH ran a similar piece and this is a follow-up article. It probably didn't occur to the author/editor that not everyone who reads this story will have seen the previous one.

WilliamLehnsherr

Postby WilliamLehnsherr » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:59 am UTC

Yeah, good point.That's probably what happened.

Crissa

Postby Crissa » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:09 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:No one uses the Erie Canal these day. Detroit is in the middle of nothing.

You do know Detroit isn't in Pennsylvania or New York, right?

Basically, we can't just sell people homes in places jobs only exist for a few years. It's a huge waste. Capitalism does nothing to return realty to profitable use after it has been developed and there's no upward development to do - it just wastes it. To say it's a waste of money not to use government to redevelop it - or to constraint development - is just as or more wasteful than spending to efficiently disburse real estate.

-Crissa

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:22 am UTC

Aussie cop chases down dangerous driver, on foot.
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

addams

Postby addams » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:40 am UTC

Suzaku wrote:Aussie cop chases down dangerous driver, on foot.

That's funny.
Ausie English is funny.
“I it’s not all P-platers that are hoon drivers,” she said.

A P-plated hoon?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:28 pm UTC

Crissa wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:No one uses the Erie Canal these day. Detroit is in the middle of nothing.

You do know Detroit isn't in Pennsylvania or New York, right?

I can't tell if you are trolling or not.

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:20 pm UTC

WilliamLehnsherr wrote:I have to admit, it wasn't until I was about to click "submit" that I realised the point of this. It seems that security wants to be able to look through contacts so they can check there isn't a "call this number to detonate" listed.

Is that what it's for? I thought it was more to make sure the phones could be activated and weren't just metal cases that were full of something else (explosives and/or contraband). I've had to turn on my laptop when travelling for quite a while back now. They never looked at anything on the computer, just the fact that it could boot up. Again I assumed it was to make sure it wasn't just a hollow shell full of something illicit.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:25 pm UTC

Chen wrote:
WilliamLehnsherr wrote:I have to admit, it wasn't until I was about to click "submit" that I realised the point of this. It seems that security wants to be able to look through contacts so they can check there isn't a "call this number to detonate" listed.

Is that what it's for? I thought it was more to make sure the phones could be activated and weren't just metal cases that were full of something else (explosives and/or contraband). I've had to turn on my laptop when travelling for quite a while back now. They never looked at anything on the computer, just the fact that it could boot up. Again I assumed it was to make sure it wasn't just a hollow shell full of something illicit.

So I take a laptop, throw out everything inside the case, put in a mobile phone connected to the laptop screen, running windows 7, and fill the rest of the laptop with explosives. Perhaps too high-tech for your average terrorist, but it seems to me it's entirely feasible.

I do think you are right. They merely seem to want to check that the laptop / phone is real. I just wonder if this is in any way an adequate test.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:26 pm UTC

A city in decline is the best place to make investments. Detroit has homes that are getting sold at $1000, its the 5th cheapest city in the country to live in. High Tech startups are moving to Detroit because its cheaper to live and work there. (Cheaper labor, cheaper homes, cheaper living, cheaper wages). Seriously, there are like... 8-Bed / 4 Bath quad-plex houses that have a listing price of $1000.

All the doom and gloom around the city is starting to bring up excellent investment opportunities. I think in 20 years to 30 years... we might see Detroit as the new Silicon Valley. Write a House for example, has begun to take advantage of these $1000 homes... by giving them away to writers who move into the city. A startup culture has begun to take root in the city.

No, I don't live in Detroit. But I've been hearing relatively good news overall. Even the "bad news" some people have been talking about in this thread...

Coyne wrote:Frankly, looking at the situation as an outsider, I don't see any way out for Detroit. Flint doesn't trust Detroit's ability to continue to operate their system; that's why Flint is disconnecting. There's no one left to pay. The fundamental problem is that there's no work (14.5% unemployment)

14.5% unemployment sounds bad (and it really is bad in the great scheme of things)... but this is good news for Detroit. The city peaked at 30%+ unemployment a few years ago. That's "on the books" unemployment, if you include people who stopped looking for a job it was closer to 50% unemployment. So its unemployment has dropped by half. Dropping your official unemployment rate by 16% or so is quite an accomplishment... all else considered.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:48 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:A city in decline is the best place to make investments. Detroit has homes that are getting sold at $1000, its the 5th cheapest city in the country to live in. High Tech startups are moving to Detroit because its cheaper to live and work there. (Cheaper labor, cheaper homes, cheaper living, cheaper wages). Seriously, there are like... 8-Bed / 4 Bath quad-plex houses that have a listing price of $1000.

In abstract, yes, but owning property in a terrible area exposes one to liability. I don't much want to pay detroit level taxes for detroit level services. I would be better off buying a place literally in the middle of nowhere. Taxes will be generally lower, crime won't be such a concern, and there's much less risk, of say, losing power for ages.

Crissa wrote:

-Crissa

For the same reasons we build new houses instead of just using the old ones.

As for the cell phone text, for decades now, they have required that travelling electronics be able to display text. Which, yknow, isn't that great of a "not a bomb" test, but it doesn't worry me privacy wise.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:52 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:So I take a laptop, throw out everything inside the case, put in a mobile phone connected to the laptop screen, running windows 7, and fill the rest of the laptop with explosives. Perhaps too high-tech for your average terrorist, but it seems to me it's entirely feasible.

I do think you are right. They merely seem to want to check that the laptop / phone is real. I just wonder if this is in any way an adequate test.

Probably feasible, but you'd have to test the design quite a bit to make it look at least reasonably laptop-like on an x-ray scan.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:04 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:
KnightExemplar wrote:A city in decline is the best place to make investments. Detroit has homes that are getting sold at $1000, its the 5th cheapest city in the country to live in. High Tech startups are moving to Detroit because its cheaper to live and work there. (Cheaper labor, cheaper homes, cheaper living, cheaper wages). Seriously, there are like... 8-Bed / 4 Bath quad-plex houses that have a listing price of $1000.

In abstract, yes, but owning property in a terrible area exposes one to liability. I don't much want to pay detroit level taxes for detroit level services. I would be better off buying a place literally in the middle of nowhere. Taxes will be generally lower, crime won't be such a concern, and there's much less risk, of say, losing power for ages.

Buying in a place literally in the middle of nowhere has no growth potential. It'd be a good retirement strategy (to have a home to retreat to when you're done with life...), but not a good investment strategy. Now obviously, there are risks involved with the Detroit Real Estate market... but its still a basin of opportunity.

I'm simply pointing out that Entrepreneurs have noticed the opportunity in Detroit and they are moving in. The word entrepreneur literally means "risk taker". Taxes, Municipal Services, and all that are all part of the risk equation. Stepping out of the abstract for a minute... J. P. Morgan has just invested $100 Million into the city.

http://www.freep.com/article/20140521/B ... hase-Dimon

Google is also investing into Detroit, making it one of its 7 "tech hubs".
http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/09/30/ ... -hotspots/

And of course, all of that money is attracting entrepreneurs.
http://www.madisonblock.com/

Maybe the hundreds of millions of dollars of investment will be wasted. Or maybe not. No one knows, but people have begun to place major bets on Detroit. Who knows? Maybe you're right and the city is poised for rolling brownouts. But that's probably just another opportunity call to all of those Solar Panel startups in the city. You know, solving problems by making money. The American way.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:58 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:Maybe the hundreds of millions of dollars of investment will be wasted. Or maybe not. No one knows, but people have begun to place major bets on Detroit. Who knows? Maybe you're right and the city is poised for rolling brownouts. But that's probably just another opportunity call to all of those Solar Panel startups in the city. You know, solving problems by making money. The American way.

'salready an issue. Large chunks of traffic signals lack power.

I have nothing against people taking a chance on Detroit...I just think the downsides of doing so are pretty intense. After all, people didn't start jumping in until land was seriously almost free. That's a clear sign of the perception of risk.

addams

Postby addams » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:29 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:
Chen wrote:

So I take a laptop, throw out everything inside the case, put in a mobile phone connected to the laptop screen, running windows 7, and fill the rest of the laptop with explosives. Perhaps too high-tech for your average terrorist, but it seems to me it's entirely feasible.

Simply turning the device on may be standard operating procedure.
I have had devices taken and every bit of data on them copied.

Sometimes it is done in front of me.
Other times my device disappears with the uniform into The Back Rooms.

My data is boring.
In my experience that is a Job and some people like their Jobs.

My fear and discomfort seemed to cause Job Satisfaction.
They laugh and I fight tears. Not fun for me.

How long are we kept under surveillance?
When are those on The Lists, allowed to get on with a semblance of a life.

I have asked about my own status.
I had the word Privacy used to Shut That Door.

The word Privacy is used to keep Secrets.
I asked, "It is my my information and my file; Privacy protects it from Me?"

The answer to that question was, "Yes."
I never met a Secret I liked.

Everyone of those interactions left me feeling Helpless.
It is a feeling I know well. I still don't like it.

So funny.
They took so much from me.

If asked, I often talk about, the time they took my balls.
Because that is a light hearted, funny story. Such Jerks!

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:22 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:I have nothing against people taking a chance on Detroit...I just think the downsides of doing so are pretty intense. After all, people didn't start jumping in until land was seriously almost free. That's a clear sign of the perception of risk.

I could have sworn I read somewhere a few months or so ago that Chinese business people were investing heavily, and buying up the heart of Detroit huge sections at a time.
If you like Call of Cthulhu and modern government conspiracy, check out my Delta Green thread.
Please feel free to ask questions or leave comments.

addams

Postby addams » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:51 pm UTC

Yablo wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:I have nothing against people taking a chance on Detroit...I just think the downsides of doing so are pretty intense. After all, people didn't start jumping in until land was seriously almost free. That's a clear sign of the perception of risk.

I could have sworn I read somewhere a few months or so ago that Chinese business people were investing heavily, and buying up the heart of Detroit huge sections at a time.

Well...It might make a good investment if you have extra money to throw around.

What do you want, Honey?
Jewelry or a US city?

Like an African Orphan.
They can keep a photo of it to show guests.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:22 pm UTC

Vials of smallpox found in old storage facility.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:30 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:The word entrepreneur literally means "risk taker".

No it doesn't. It comes from the French verb 'entreprende' meaning 'to undertake'.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

addams

Postby addams » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:45 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:
KnightExemplar wrote:The word entrepreneur literally means "risk taker".

No it doesn't. It comes from the French verb 'entreprende' meaning 'to undertake'.

That's funny.
A lot of money has been made in burying businesses.

It sounds like a play on words to me.
Under takers bury people in some places.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:56 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:Vials of smallpox found in old storage facility.

So when the military sent me to Afghanistan back in 2006 one part of my medical preparation was a smallpox vaccine. This despite the fact there have been no reported cases worldwide since 1977.

I knew enough about smallpox to know it wasn't an actual thing anymore, so I asked the med tech why I was being vaccinated. What she told me, and I repeat this story for entertainment purposes only; I have no reason to believe it's true, is that as smallpox was being eliminated around the world the CDC began an ethical discussion of whether it was okay to deliberately cause the complete extinction of a species. To resolve this a few vials of smallpox were kept at the CDC, and the Soviets did the same at their commie equivalent of the CDC.

Then the USSR fell and when the dust settled no one could account for their vials of smallpox. The US military, fearing it may have found it's way into the hands of militants, started vaccinating deploying troops.

Again, the story is probably bullshit, but it's amusing and this article reminded me of it.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

addams

Postby addams » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:59 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:Vials of smallpox found in old storage facility.

I believe that story.
Still, the find was disturbing because for decades after smallpox was declared eradicated in 1980, world health authorities said the only known samples left were safely stored in super-secure laboratories in Atlanta and in Russia.

Officials said this is the first time in the U.S. that unaccounted-for smallpox has been discovered. At least one leading scientist raised the possibility that there are more such vials out there around the world.

I do not think the world needs to worry, too much.
I remember the Shit Storm over autoclaving the Last remaining bits.

This could have a back story.
There was One Guy that was certain that not all Small Pox should be destroyed.

He may have put it somewhere safe enough.
A gift to the future.

"In Fifty Years, we will be advanced, enough." he may have thought.
Hero or Villain? Simply a flawed human being, doing his best.

Stashed in 1981.
Unearthed in 2014.
33 years.

What is up with That Number?
Still..Closer to fifty than to ten.

A man left a Time Capsule.
It was labeled.

It must have been a Scientist.
Not a Terrorist.

We only had the vaguest idea about Terrorists, back 33 years ago.
We Had Commies or Something Else to Fear!

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:42 pm UTC

Yablo wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, while foreign investment, especially from China, is climbing, they have focused heavily on west coast areas. San Francisco and the like.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:44 pm UTC

Spambot5546 wrote:I knew enough about smallpox to know it wasn't an actual thing anymore, so I asked the med tech why I was being vaccinated. What she told me, and I repeat this story for entertainment purposes only; I have no reason to believe it's true, is that as smallpox was being eliminated around the world the CDC began an ethical discussion of whether it was okay to deliberately cause the complete extinction of a species. To resolve this a few vials of smallpox were kept at the CDC, and the Soviets did the same at their commie equivalent of the CDC.

There are certainly vials of Smallpox around. The reason for keeping them wasn't an ethical 'it would be wrong to completely destroy a virus' thing, though. They were kept for research, in many locations around the world. In the 1970s someone was infected by the virus in a British lab, died, and the lead scientist committed suicide. After that all known stocks were moved to two WHO labs, the US CDC, and the Russian State Research Center. The WHO concluded that stocks were unnecessary for research, and posed too big a risk, so recommended they all be destroyed. The US and Russia refused, on the basis that they could be useful for developing new vaccines or fighting future diseases (the WHO disagrees), so those two labs still have stocks.

Occasionally a few vials turn up in other laboratories that misplaced them and didn't move them to the approved labs in the 70s.

Return to “News & Articles”