In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

addams

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby addams » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:40 am UTC

Drumheller769 wrote:Its sad, he doesnt even know if he killed it.

That's funny.
Many people are Freaked Out by spiders.
Even people that like spiders are Freaked Out by them.

In October the Spider Related Incidents go up.
I saw a woman break a telephone pole with an SUV.

She did it because of SPIDER!
So funny. She didn't kill the Spider, either.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:48 pm UTC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28331598

A woman in France wrote a blog post criticising a restaurant. The blog post appeared in the fourth position on Google when searching for the restaurants name. The blogger has been fined for damages caused to the restaurant by the prominence of her blog post in Google's search results.

So, it seems that writing the blog post criticising the restaurant wasn't in itself an offence, but having that post then get ranked highly by Google was.

A French lawyer and blogger who writes under the pseudonym Maître Eolas, said: "It seems to me that the judge did not understand the technical issues."

Technical issues such as, the blogger doesn't get to decide where in Google's search results her post gets ranked. Very bizarre case.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:53 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28331598

A woman in France wrote a blog post criticising a restaurant. The blog post appeared in the fourth position on Google when searching for the restaurants name. The blogger has been fined for damages caused to the restaurant by the prominence of her blog post in Google's search results.

So, it seems that writing the blog post criticising the restaurant wasn't in itself an offence, but having that post then get ranked highly by Google was.

A French lawyer and blogger who writes under the pseudonym Maître Eolas, said: "It seems to me that the judge did not understand the technical issues."

Technical issues such as, the blogger doesn't get to decide where in Google's search results her post gets ranked. Very bizarre case.

Don't mess with those 5-star restaurants. Them French take em seriously.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:54 pm UTC

Free speech: not in France.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:01 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:

While I agree Kennedy is overrated, I disagree with this point. It was never about the NUMBER of nukes aimed at us. It was about the distance. Shorter distance, shorter flight time to target, more difficulty responding to first strikes.

It's even stronger. In this case and at that time, distance did directly translate to numbers.

In 1962, the R7 was the only vehicle in the USSR that could target the US. That was a large complicated rocket, the predecessor of the Soyuz. It took half a day to prepare one for launch after the order to fire had been given. The few launch sites were large complexes, not the hardened silos of later years. The R7 failure rate at that time approached 50%, presumably higher for hurried launches. And the USSR only had only a few dozen ICBMs in total. The US had the launch sites targeted by missiles and bombers that most likely reach the sites before a missile could be fired.

The alterntive were Tu9t bombers, who didn't really stand a chance of making it through the defense lines. And of course, threaten to hit Europe and hope the Americans care enough

So medium range missiles in Cuba were a big deal. It would have been the first time that the USSR (or anybody) had a guaranteed nuclear strike capability at the mainland USA.

Well I admit I don't know the details about the exact capabilities of each country at the time of the crisis. But the analysis made by Excomm (the group of people who handled the crisis, including president, vice president, minister of defense, top military, etc) itself says that the soviet missiles wouldn't significantly alter the military balance, though they would alter the political balance, by giving the soviets perceived equality.

Basically: They are already able to destroy us, and being able to destroy us a bit more won't matter. But it will look as if they are a lot more dangerous.

I see no reason to doubt this analysis.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:09 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28331598

Relevant:
Under French law, a judge can issue an emergency order to force a person to cease any activity they find to be harming the other party in the dispute.

The summary decision is intended to be an emergency measure to protect the person deemed to be a victim and can be overturned or upheld if the parties go to a full hearing.

(...)

Ms Doudet added that, because the decision was taken at an emergency hearing, she did not have time to find legal representation, so had represented herself in court.

So it was a rushed decision made against someone who didn't bring a lawyer.

A strange and stupid case, but it's no reason to immediately start fearing for the future of free speech in France just yet. Fear about the quality of judges, perhaps, though.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Grop

Postby Grop » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:20 pm UTC

Quite an interesting blogger, btw. Does much to understand our laws and ustice system.

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:42 pm UTC

I wonder what impact on business this article will have for that restaurant.

Just checked Google and news stories about this case come up in the #4 spot when you search for this place.

Coming Up Next: Snooty Frenchman sues every media outlet in the world over news article. :D

Grop

Postby Grop » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:50 pm UTC

pkcommando wrote:I wonder what impact on business this article will have for that restaurant.

What I will remember: "the place to avoid in Cap-Ferret: Il Giardino". That, and that they can't take any criticism.

Not that I would be likely to go there in the first place. But I can't see how it can be good for that restaurant's PR to be known as the one that shouldn't be criticized.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:52 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:But the analysis made by Excomm (the group of people who handled the crisis, including president, vice president, minister of defense, top military, etc) itself says that the soviet missiles wouldn't significantly alter the military balance, though they would alter the political balance, by giving the soviets perceived equality.

There was a bigger issue at hand with the missile crisis than simply political appearance implications. Members of the ExComm, at various times, legitimately believed that mutual destruction with the Soviets over the missile crisis was inevitable.

Although it's a (sizably) biased source, especially with regards to JFK, I found Robert Kennedy's Thirteen Days to be an interesting examination of the crisis, seeing as RFK was both JFK's brother and a member of the ExComm. It does mean he's biased, yes, but he makes a reasonable case.

yurell

Postby yurell » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:17 pm UTC

Grop wrote:What I will remember: "the place to avoid in Cap-Ferret: Il Giardino". That, and that they can't take any criticism.

Not that I would be likely to go there in the first place. But I can't see how it can be good for that restaurant's PR to be known as the one that shouldn't be criticized.

Now instead of a single minor blog, when people search for the restaurant they will find every major media outlet in the western hemisphere; I can't imagine that being much of an improvement for them.

Edit: Oh, I forgot about all the sympathy reviews that they'd be getting now. Not from people sympathetic to the restaurant, mind.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

Crissa

Postby Crissa » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:37 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:A few points though:
- US troop numbers in Vietnam can easily be found via a dozen different sources.

It's an interesting page, but ultimately tells us nothing about a President's policy or what the troops were doing If you notice, the big buildout happens after the President's death.

Diadem wrote:I don't know where you got this "soviets where already placing missiles before the invasion" from

Me neither, because I didn't say that.

Diadem wrote:Quote sniping is seriously uncool. Cut it off.

Maybe you should use quote more. Since you're arguing things I did not say.

-Crissa

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:26 pm UTC

Todd Akin: ‘I should have said legitimate case of rape’

I... don't... even...

I didn't think someone could miss the point so viscerally.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:34 pm UTC

I wonder if politicians really have such high opinions of themselves that they think the only reason they could possibly be taking shit for something they said is that it was "misrepresented" or "taken out of context".
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:48 pm UTC

Summum ius, summa iniuria.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:50 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:Todd Akin: ‘I should have said legitimate case of rape’

I... don't... even...

"I should have said 'I am a horrible human being who for the good of the human race should never breed', and I'm sorry I did not say that when I had the chance."
Last edited by CorruptUser on Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:50 pm UTC

ahammel wrote:I wonder if politicians really have such high opinions of themselves that they think the only reason they could possibly be taking shit for something they said is that it was "misrepresented" or "taken out of context".

I'd never actually considered that. I always assumed the 'misrepresented' and 'taken out of context' statements were code for "it's what I actually believe, but that seems to be politically unpopular, so here's a backpedalling platitude". It didn't occur to me that maybe they just can't believe that people wouldn't agree with them if people correctly understood the statement.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:01 am UTC

Adacore wrote:
ahammel wrote:I wonder if politicians really have such high opinions of themselves that they think the only reason they could possibly be taking shit for something they said is that it was "misrepresented" or "taken out of context".

I'd never actually considered that. I always assumed the 'misrepresented' and 'taken out of context' statements were code for "it's what I actually believe, but that seems to be politically unpopular, so here's a backpedalling platitude". It didn't occur to me that maybe they just can't believe that people wouldn't agree with them if people correctly understood the statement.

It's and attitude I've encountered in the internet often enough.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

jareds

Postby jareds » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:56 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:"I should have said 'I am a horrible human being who for the good of the human race should never breed', and I'm sorry I did not say that when I had the chance."

The Onion did it.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:29 am UTC

Xeio wrote:Todd Akin: ‘I should have said legitimate case of rape’

I... don't... even...

addams

Postby addams » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:56 am UTC

jareds wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:"I should have said 'I am a horrible human being who for the good of the human race should never breed', and I'm sorry I did not say that when I had the chance."

The Onion did it.

It's the 21st fucking Century!
That man is a Powerful and Influential person.

I know both men and women sometimes believed what that man spoke.
In the 1700's and 1800's. Women were blamed for Not conceiving, too.

But; That was Then.
This is Now.

HELP!
Dear World; Dear God;
Will you look at our Leaders!

These men and women do not have enough education and understanding of Facts.
Left to their own devices they will lead us farther back into the Darker Ages.

We live in The Information Dark Age.
Drowning in Information.

I know for a fact that man's lie is such a sweet little White Lie in some families.
How loved a child feels when his parents tell him they wanted him.

How awful for a woman who was brutalized physically and can not receive proper medical care because, she got pregnant and well...
According to the Senator from the ,*%#*@%%*, State of Montana it can't be Rape, if she got pregnant.

Handy little test he has there.
Pregnant? Not Rape.
(fuck)

Hey! You are supposed to be funny.
That shit's not funny.

There are Puffed Up Rich Guys with no Brains, no Ethics and no Education setting the tone for my nation.
help. help.

*blurb--gack/gack--blurb*
That is the sound of a nation drowning in ignorance.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:21 am UTC

I don't think narcissicsm is required; just a bigoted mindset. Abortion is evil; therefore there must be a valid reason why rape cannot validate its use. Akin was not the first to state the "rape cannot cause pregnancy argument"; it is deeply involved in the abortion is evil argument (see A Canard That Will Not Die: 'Legitimate Rape' Doesn't Cause Pregnancy ).

In specific, I see absolutely no other justification for the "rape cannot cause pregnancy argument" since studies show the rate of pregancy due to rape is 5% (The claim that the incidence of rape resulting in pregnancy is ‘very low’}.

Compare the mindset of the man who killed women at random a while back. He had a bigoted belief in the duty of women to him, and punished them for "failure to deliver."
In all fairness...

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:34 am UTC

yurell wrote:
Grop wrote:What I will remember: "the place to avoid in Cap-Ferret: Il Giardino". That, and that they can't take any criticism.

Now instead of a single minor blog, when people search for the restaurant they will find every major media outlet in the western hemisphere; I can't imagine that being much of an improvement for them.

Edit: Oh, I forgot about all the sympathy reviews that they'd be getting now. Not from people sympathetic to the restaurant, mind.

Actually the publicity will probably result in them getting more bookings. I've seen this first hand when a "controversy" over something (in this case it was an album) resulted in so much exposure sales went through the roof. It also happens all the time in the games industry, outrage over games is literally manufactured to increase sales. So while it might make sense on the face of it that this story will reflect badly on the restaurant and reduce bookings, I'd actually bet on the opposite happening.

Grop

Postby Grop » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:29 am UTC

To be honest, I think nothing will change: they are a pizzeria in a rural place.

You don't lookup places before having a pizza, and you don't drive many kilometers to have one either. Or it could only be as Mutex said.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:20 am UTC

Grop wrote:To be honest, I think nothing will change: they are a pizzeria in a rural place.

You don't lookup places before having a pizza, and you don't drive many kilometers to have one either. Or it could only be as Mutex said.

In that case, it's possible it'll actually be good publicity. If it wasn't the kind of place that people sought out before, they've now had their name plastered all over the press, so some people will probably seek them out now.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:01 pm UTC

I think what Todd Akin was really trying to say was "Please make me relevant again; I have a book coming out."
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

addams

Postby addams » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:37 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:
yurell wrote:

Actually the publicity will probably result in them getting more bookings. I've seen this first hand when a "controversy" over something (in this case it was an album) resulted in so much exposure sales went through the roof. It also happens all the time in the games industry, outrage over games is literally manufactured to increase sales. So while it might make sense on the face of it that this story will reflect badly on the restaurant and reduce bookings, I'd actually bet on the opposite happening.

Yes. This story has made them interesting.
It is a dangerous game.

Now; They have to deliver Good Pizza.
They may not have time to Deliver any Pizza.

If they were Crap, they had better get better.
I went to a Resultant that was Famous for being Bad.

I was only a few hundred miles from it.
So, I drove out of my way to order and eat part of a piece of pie.

As I was eating it, I pealed back the crust to look at the filling.
It was covered with mold.

There was a mold growing between the Crust and the Filling.
The Bagdad Cafe, in Bagdad, Nevada.

Kilometers?
Someone wrote, "People will not drive kilometers out of their way.'
Americans will drive Hundreds of Miles for Nothing!

Out in the Middle of the US there are places with some of the most interesting Nothing, I have ever seen.
There are a lot of miles between one patch of Something and another patch of Something.

In between, there is Nothing.
Canada has some Nothing, too.

Driving across the Middle of Canada is a little like piloting a boat.
I had read descriptions. The Reality was stranger than I had expected.

After spending time in Eastern California and Western Nevada,
I thought I understood, Nothing. Things are better, today.

Canada has Wi-Fi in it's Nothing.
The US Nothing has Canyons.

No, Wi-Fi in Canyons, is there?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

elasto

Postby elasto » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:51 am UTC

Rhode Island accidentally decriminalized prostitution, and good things happened

One day the politicians will learn that it's better to work with human nature than against it when it comes to drugs and sex but not sure it'll be in my lifetime.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:56 am UTC

Prostitution was illegal in Rhode Island? I mean, every strip club is located next to a motel that charges by the hour. No sex in the champagne room, except in Rhode Island.

addams

Postby addams » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:17 am UTC

elasto wrote:Rhode Island accidentally decriminalized prostitution, and good things happened

One day the politicians will learn that it's better to work with human nature than against it when it comes to drugs and sex but not sure it'll be in my lifetime.

I agree that working With human nature is better.
I do not agree that it has to take More Generations of Shattered Lives.

Why did they close the LoopHole.
It seemed like a Nice one.

What consenting adults get up to is very rarely the business of the Police.
Did the Police lobby for a return of The Vice Squad? Fun Job?

(yuck) Police work can be messy.
When the people notice the mess, they usually call.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:28 am UTC

Widow wins $23B in lawsuit against Tobacco companies, after her husband died in 1996. It'll get appealed and slapped down to a few million at most, but still.

WilliamLehnsherr

Postby WilliamLehnsherr » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:45 am UTC

I always cringe when people sue tobacco companies. But I am from gen-y and have never known a time when there weren't horrific pictures and warnings on cigarette packs. 1996, though. No way did people not know the health risks years before then.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:48 am UTC

I originally had a diatribe against the people who still smoked cigarettes and then complained, but decided it was too crass.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:13 pm UTC

The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:00 pm UTC

WilliamLehnsherr wrote:I always cringe when people sue tobacco companies. But I am from gen-y and have never known a time when there weren't horrific pictures and warnings on cigarette packs. 1996, though. No way did people not know the health risks years before then.

The 1960s were when the big "cancer is bad" research became publicly available. It must be frustrating for people who became addicted in the 50s and early 60s, because by all accounts the cig companies were really trying to shut down or counter that research and so I think the companies hold a lot of the blame for the health problems those smokers later got. A teen who got addicted in 1960 and died at the relatively young age of 50 in 1996 has as good a case as any.

Obviously the damages should be more comparable to a life insurance payout though...
-Adam

Mallich

Postby Mallich » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:25 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:Obviously the damages should be more comparable to a life insurance payout though...
(If you're referring to the £16.8 million, ignore this post.)
If you're referring to the $23.6 billion figure, that's only the punitive fine. Punitive fines aren't compensation (and so it can't be compared to life insurance payouts) - it's intended as punishment. The compensatory damage is "only"* $16.8 million, 3 orders of magnitude closer to a life insurance payout.

Compensatory vs punitive damages
Spoiler:
Compensatory fine: "You've damaged this person's life. You should pay money to compensate for the physical/economic/psychological damage you've inflicted on the person."
Punitive fine: "However, we know full well that $16.8 million is small change compared to the money you gained from your actions. It's not going to deter you, or other companies like you, in the slightest. Hence the other $23.6 billion.
I am not a lawyer. Also, I know that the $16.8 million opens the door to multiple other suits and thus invalidates some of the previous 2 lines, but la la la I can't hear you.

*Yes, "only $16.8 million". Not a phase I expected to use. :P

addams

Postby addams » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:02 am UTC

The Fart humor is not so funny.
The Fact of English people aiming Farts at France Is funny.

What the heck did those people ever do to you?
I have spoken, in person, to English people that have an irrational reaction to anything French.

Why??
Something that happened in the 1500's.
Really??

No? Much more recent?
The 1700's. Almost Yesterday.

I suppose, it is easier to carry and old grudge than a new one.
It seems in the last few years the English have been taking their grudge lightly.

Who knows?
It is getting so small and unimportant, they might lose it.
It will leave a Grudge Vacuum. What ever would they do?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:33 am UTC

addams wrote:What the heck did those people ever do to you?

So, totally unfamiliar with Monty Python and the Holy Grail, I take it? I'll leave it to you to find and watch the skit about "The Insulting Frenchman" on Youtube; I'd provide a link but don't want to be a corrupting influence.
In all fairness...

addams

Postby addams » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:58 am UTC

Coyne wrote:
addams wrote:What the heck did those people ever do to you?

So, totally unfamiliar with Monty Python and the Holy Grail, I take it? I'll leave it to you to find and watch the skit about "The Insulting Frenchman" on Youtube; I'd provide a link but don't want to be a corrupting influence.

ech. Monty Python is to history what Fractured Fairy Tails is to Fairy Tails.
And; By the time Monty Python is done with history, it makes as much sense.

Besides; Monty Python is in English humor.
I don't understand the history nor the joke.

I think they are still mad about the US Revolution.
The way the Human mind works, they are angry at France.

They think the US is wonderful.
We don't speak French. See?

A few of us speak Spanish.
The English deal with that during Nelson Days.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Return to “News & Articles”