In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Mutex

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Mutex » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:04 am UTC

Car careers off road, flies through the air and destroys an entire bedroom on the top floor of a house. Driver suffers some broken ribs and a dislocated shoulder.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-li ... e-28460739

Mallich

Postby Mallich » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:11 am UTC

UK MP suggests incorporating astrology into healthcare.
At no point in the story does the journalist talk to any skeptics. Oh, and the MP is the "vice-chairman of the government's herbals working group".

The "related stories" section on that page lists these 3 articles:
- How astrology helps Indian business
- Free horoscopes for Chogm leaders
- China: Firms 'use star signs' to pick job applicants

It's funny... right until you realise that there's a chance of this guy succeeding.
Thoughts?
I think the BBC is trying to copy the Huffington Post. :?

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:22 am UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:Creepy porcelain look-alike dolls showing up on doorsteps of young girls they resemble.

Police are investigating a strange case in a California community, where porcelain dolls are being left on the doorsteps of girls they hold an eerie resemblance to.

At least eight families have received the dolls in the Talega community of San Clemente, with all of the girls targeted around 10 years old.

Families began filing police reports about the dolls as early as June 16, but the mystery of their origin continues.

This is either some kindhearted and touching anonymous gesture that just happens to come off as slightly creepy or something straight out of a horror movie.

Kill it! Kill it with fire!

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:29 pm UTC

Solved, apparently.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:35 pm UTC

morriswalters wrote:Solved, apparently.

I guess the moral of the story is, if you're going to leave porcelain dolls on girls' doorsteps that look like them, leave a note.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:50 pm UTC

I was imagining it'd end in some sort of Alma scenario.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

Mambrino

Postby Mambrino » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:34 pm UTC

BBC: Russia loses control of gecko sex experiment satellite
A Russian satellite containing geckos, fruit flies and mushrooms could plummet to earth if control is not regained, according to reports. (...)

...what a week.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:32 am UTC

So, could someone read this article and tell me what thought jumps out at them.... I need to know if it's just me :P

It's about a new virus found in the human gut http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-28440006
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

addams

Postby addams » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:49 am UTC

I don't know.
Tell us.

What is funny about the Phage?

Clicking links from your posts took me to this:
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-28493469

Is it funny or tragic?
Skinny dipping can get a person on the Registry of Sex Offenders.

Skinny dipping is not all that great.
People should have an opportunity to determine that for themselves.

But, No.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:23 am UTC

Angua wrote:So, could someone read this article and tell me what thought jumps out at them....

My first thought from reading the headline: OK, so if it's already "abundant in humans" then it's obviously not a problem... if it was, like, dangerous to be infected by this thing we probably would have noticed it by now.

My first thought from reading the actual article: Tee hee, "ass phage"... I think I've seen that video...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

elasto

Postby elasto » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:28 am UTC

phlip wrote:My first thought from reading the headline: OK, so if it's already "abundant in humans" then it's obviously not a problem... if it was, like, dangerous to be infected by this thing we probably would have noticed it by now.

We may very well have noticed it but not realized bacteria are anything to do with it - like how it was for ages with ulcers.

There are a number of diseases/syndromes that have risen rapidly in recent decades and maybe this is an important factor for one of them...

Link

Postby Link » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:34 am UTC

phlip wrote:My first thought from reading the actual article: Tee hee, "ass phage"...

Yep, same here. Gotta love scientists with a sense of humour!

Also, upon seeing the picture, my first thought was "ha, gut flora". Followed by VITSSÅGEN, JA!

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:54 pm UTC

Link wrote:
phlip wrote:My first thought from reading the actual article: Tee hee, "ass phage"...

Yep, same here. Gotta love scientists with a sense of humour!

Also, upon seeing the picture, my first thought was "ha, gut flora". Followed by VITSSÅGEN, JA!

Yeah, that's what I was getting at.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

addams

Postby addams » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:36 pm UTC

Have you ever listened to anyone Wax Poetic about the role of Virus in Cancer?
We don't know why some people get it and other people don't and it runs in Families and Well.....

I listened to someone speak to the issue.
He was an Oncologist.

I was not part of the Research Team.
He was helping us to understand who we care for.

Victims that are Victims of a very strange disorder.
Cancer sometimes Charges Down the Evolutionary Ladder at a Run.

Then veers off to making it's own Growth Hormone.
All because of a Virus?

(shrug) My sense of humor must be Broken.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:28 pm UTC

Angua wrote:So, could someone read this article and tell me what thought jumps out at them.... I need to know if it's just me :P

It's about a new virus found in the human gut http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-28440006

Well, what leaps out at me is the part about a CrAssphage. Is that just a crass phage? Or is that a Cr Butt Phage? Hmmm....and associated with the human gut, too. What a coincidence. Oh, and I forgot to mention the assterisk shape.
In all fairness...

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:59 pm UTC

Wikipedia bans US Congressional trolling editors.

Wikipedia administrators have imposed a ban on page edits from computers at the US House of Representatives, following "persistent disruptive editing".

The 10-day block comes after anonymous changes were made to entries on politicians and businesses, as well as events like the Kennedy assassination.

The biography of former US defence secretary Donald Rumsfeld was edited to say that he was an "alien lizard".

It's always the House.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:21 pm UTC

Hitchbot successfully completes small part of 6,000km trip across Canada.

Hitchbot's homepage: http://www.hitchbot.me/
Hitchbot's twitter: https://twitter.com/hitchBOT

Neat experiment. I look forward to being disappointed by the news that a random drunken schmuck in Saskatchewan kicked Hitchbot to pieces 'round about October. :/
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:45 pm UTC

poxic wrote:Hitchbot successfully completes small part of 6,000km trip across Canada.

I find it ironic. Usually, we build robots for the purpose of largely becoming dependent on their functions, and here's one built to be dependent on us.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:44 am UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:
poxic wrote:Hitchbot successfully completes small part of 6,000km trip across Canada.

I find it ironic. Usually, we build robots for the purpose of largely becoming dependent on their functions, and here's one built to be dependent on us.

Interesting concept.
In all fairness...

addams

Postby addams » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:30 am UTC

Mutex wrote:Car careers off road, flies through the air and destroys an entire bedroom on the top floor of a house. Driver suffers some broken ribs and a dislocated shoulder.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-li ... e-28460739

That is Funny News!
No shoot out at the ok Corral.

Armageddon.
That is so funny.

The English think a little traffic disorder is Armageddon.
Flying Cars are, just, unusual. Not That unusual.

Any news about How it happened?
That neighborhood did not look like the sort of place a person could gain Lift Off speeds in a boxy little English car.

In the US we have Loads of Roads with Lift Off speeds considered common.
Therefore we do not consider Flying Cars, Armageddon.

Thank you for that one.
I needed a laugh.
Djehutynakht wrote:Wikipedia bans US Congressional trolling editors.

Wikipedia administrators have imposed a ban on page edits from computers at the US House of Representatives, following "persistent disruptive editing".

The 10-day block comes after anonymous changes were made to entries on politicians and businesses, as well as events like the Kennedy assassination.

The biography of former US defence secretary Donald Rumsfeld was edited to say that he was an "alien lizard".

It's always the House.

On A Roll!
So funny the way you report it.

Then I read the article.
Not so funny.

Don't read the article.
Take Djehutynakht's word.

It's always the House.
The Senate acts with perfect propriety, at all times.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

chris857

Postby chris857 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:24 pm UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:Wikipedia bans US Congressional trolling editors.

Strictly speaking, the addresses are merely blocked. A ban implies that the IP addresses of the US House of Reps are never welcome. A block is simply a preventative technical measure to block disruptive editing.

On Wikipedia, ban =/= block.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:07 am UTC

"Paramount Pictures apologises over a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles poster featuring the characters jumping from an exploding skyscraper alongside the release date of 11 September."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-28560042

To be fair it was a poster in Australia, but you still have to wonder how they didn't make the connection before putting up the poster.

yurell

Postby yurell » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:28 am UTC

I didn't even see the date and didn't even register the background as a skyscraper exploding, much less recognise it as a New York one. Even if the date were more prominent, I don't think I would have connected it to the 11th of September attacks, which are often referred to only as '9-11'
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:33 am UTC

I don't get how they decided it's a NY building either. It's a large skyscraper-ish building for sure though.

As for the impact of the date in Aus, I'm from the UK and the date sticks out in my mind quite a bit, so I'd have thought the same would apply there?

krogoth

Postby krogoth » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:44 am UTC

9/11 Is almost proper noun now, however we(I) normally wouldn't see the date on a sign/poster as a connection unless it was advertising for November.

However, in this case, it looks more like a short office building(cubic) with an explosion on top than a tower (once again to me) so outside of the date connection not much I can see. We aren't allowed to release movies on historically tragic dates now? We are gonna run out of usable dates for doing things really fast.
R3sistance - I don't care at all for the ignorance spreading done by many and to the best of my abilities I try to correct this as much as I can, but I know and understand that even I can not be completely honest, truthful and factual all of the time.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:56 am UTC

krogoth wrote:9/11 Is almost proper noun now, however we(I) normally wouldn't see the date on a sign/poster as a connection unless it was advertising for November.

However, in this case, it looks more like a short office building(cubic) with an explosion on top than a tower (once again to me) so outside of the date connection not much I can see.

To me the fact you can't see the bottom of the building suggests it's a tall building. And the explosion looks like it's coming out of the building. Interpretations will vary but seeing it as an exploding skyscraper seems valid to me.

krogoth wrote:We aren't allowed to release movies on historically tragic dates now?

I don't think anyone is saying "don't release films on 11th September", nor are they saying "don't put exploding buildings on posters". The point is more "Really? You combined those two things without making a connection to 9/11?"

krogoth

Postby krogoth » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:36 am UTC

If 'for an American to not make this connection' is your concern, that validity is up to you to decide as someone of that culture. Other cultures take things differently and don't all associate every thing they see to some American event.

If The_Forest_(video_game) got released on september 11 this or next year, would that also be offensive? remember the towers weren't the only places planes crashed that day.

Can you remember the date off the top of your head when MH17 was shot down? I can't and even if it wasn't as many people it was still a heck of a lot.
Can you remember the dates the US bombed Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

The date was only made important because Americans made it so.

As I said, news groups(I assume) decided to call the event 9/11, It doesn't make the day special.

More over even if you do make that connection, What does it matter? Unless the movie is suggesting anything itself about those events, causing them or tipping the proverbial hat to them.

This probably sounds like it's written angrily, it's not my intention, but I suppose it's culture to think everyone should get offended at the same things they are.
R3sistance - I don't care at all for the ignorance spreading done by many and to the best of my abilities I try to correct this as much as I can, but I know and understand that even I can not be completely honest, truthful and factual all of the time.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:28 pm UTC

yurell wrote:I didn't even see the date and didn't even register the background as a skyscraper exploding, much less recognise it as a New York one.

Mutex wrote:I don't get how they decided it's a NY building either. It's a large skyscraper-ish building for sure though.

Probably because the turtles live in NYC.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:34 pm UTC

If I understand your first line correctly, you think I'm American? I'm actually from the UK. The date still stands out in my mind quite a lot in my mind.

Part of the reason the date is memorable is very probably because the event was named after its date. If the MH17 crash was called the "17/7" disaster more people would remember the date.

Part of it is also because it was a very large scale, shocking event that immediately caused a war between the US and its allies and Iraq and Afghanistan, followed by their protracted occupation, and defined the political situation we have in the middle east today. So it's not (yet) valid to compare that to MH17, regardless of the number of deaths.

Another part is because it happened right in the middle of a very large, busy city and so there were huge numbers of witnesses and lots of footage of the disaster that was played on loop on news channels following the event. It wasn't just an attack against America, it was an attack against the west. So I'd be surprised if the event didn't make an impact in Aus.

I'm sure a lot of Japanese people do still remember the dates of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and putting up a movie poster in the US depicting a nuclear explosion over a city with a release date of the 6th August would probably cause outrage from Japanese people.

Not that I actually care either way. That's why I posted the link in this thread.

@pseudoidiot - that would make sense.

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:40 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:I don't get how they decided it's a NY building either. It's a large skyscraper-ish building for sure though.

As for the impact of the date in Aus, I'm from the UK and the date sticks out in my mind quite a bit, so I'd have thought the same would apply there?

Well, Ninja Turtles IS set in NY, so whatever Michael Bay decides to explode in this movie, will be from NY.

Since everything in Michael Bay's movies is made of explodium (WARNING: TvTropes), I'm sure a good share of NY buildings will suffer. But they didn't have to put an explosion in the poster, as I believe one can make rather badass posters featuring only the turtles.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:53 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:I'm sure a lot of Japanese people do still remember the dates of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and putting up a movie poster in the US depicting a nuclear explosion over a city with a release date of the 6th August would probably cause outrage from Japanese people.

While this is true, there was also that movie about a Japanese Monster that was born out of a nuclear meltdown caused by an earthquake, which was released just around 3 years after the Fukushima disaster.

Godzilla (2014) wasn't released on the same date as Fukushima... and arguably Godzilla's origin story was always tied to a recent tragedy. Godzilla 1954 was only 9-years after the bomb. (For comparison, TMNT is going to be released over 13-years after 9/11). So... perhaps its appropriate for a Godzilla movie to be about something so recent.
Last edited by KnightExemplar on Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

elasto

Postby elasto » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:54 pm UTC

Mom arrested and charged for letting her son walk to the local park alone

Anyone else have parents who'd be serving life sentences if this kind of policing had been commonplace during their childhood?

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:06 pm UTC

elasto wrote:Mom arrested and charged for letting her son walk to the local park alone

Anyone else have parents who'd be serving life sentences if this kind of policing had been commonplace during their childhood?

Generally speaking, we walked around our neighborhood, grabbing honey-suckles from neighbor's plants and complaining about the "high schoolers" who 'bullied' us around 2:00pm. (In hindsight, I wouldn't consider it bullying today. But we were kids and probably didn't understand the concept. We always called them bullies, but they never picked on us or even interacted with us...).

Beyond that, I distinctly remember many kids walking home by themselves, although this was closer to 5th grade or so (age of 10). I think 7 might be a bit young, but nothing criminal.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

addams

Postby addams » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:57 pm UTC

elasto wrote:Mom arrested and charged for letting her son walk to the local park alone

To the Park?
The World is Dangerous.

A Boy should have a Dog.
Dogs are a Great Distraction.

Then Mom could have said, "He was not alone. The Dog was with him."
It's like sending a kid out with a really bad Mime/Hennie Youngman.

Dogs tend to have Hearts of Gold.
They are innocent.

*(raises hand)*
I was allowed to be Feral.
Spoiler:
My brother yelled at me, one time.
I walked five miles to the Dump.

I played in the Fiber Glass.
It was Pretty!

I walked five miles back.
I crawled up into my Brother's lap.

He noticed the Fiber Glass in my hair.
He wanted to know where I had been.

When I told him he Yelled at me.
"Don't Go To The Dump!!"

Then he gave me a Bath.
I was five.

Humans have a Wide Range.
Don't worry. I had a dog.

My Sister brushed the dog.
She wanted to do the easy part.

Where did you go?
Did you get Yelled at?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Grop

Postby Grop » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:10 pm UTC

The officer wrote in the report that Dominic was unsupervised at the park and that "numerous sex offenders reside in the vicinity."

Therefore the mother should go to jail.

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:35 pm UTC

It's Florida.

Dammit, that works just as well for both sides of this.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:53 pm UTC

Grop wrote:
The officer wrote in the report that Dominic was unsupervised at the park and that "numerous sex offenders reside in the vicinity."
That's the only way to keep people safe these days. Since there are so many robbers and sex offenders outside, we need to keep the women and children in jail. It's for their own good.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:06 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:
Grop wrote:
That's the only way to keep people safe these days. Since there are so many robbers and sex offenders outside, we need to keep the women and children in jail. It's for their own good.

The article doesn't say if the father is around. If not, and she goes to jail, what happens to the child, he gets taken into care?

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:16 pm UTC

I'm also from the UK, but I don't immediately associate september the 11th with 9/11. Like krogoth says, it's effectivel a proper noun. I was only 7 at the time though which might affect it.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:09 pm UTC

At the risk of dating myself, if they'd treated parents like this when I was a kid, we all would have been visiting our parents in jail. Every single kid I knew.
In all fairness...

Return to “News & Articles”