In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Djehutynakht

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:13 pm UTC

Hershey's seeks to rid the US of British chocolate.

Honestly, I feel this is just a jackass move on the part of Hershey's. If British-made chocolate was a huge main-market competitor, maybe... but it really isn't.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:26 pm UTC

The only things "quality" that comes to mind when I think of "British" is humour humor and literature. Not foodstuffs nor engineering.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:40 pm UTC

It's the absence of butyric acid that's the draw, I gather.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:43 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:The only things "quality" that comes to mind when I think of "British" is humour humor and literature. Not foodstuffs nor engineering.

I don't think that argument is very relevant when the alternative is Hershey's.

And yeah, +1 for the free market.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:51 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:The only things "quality" that comes to mind when I think of "British" is humour humor and literature. Not foodstuffs nor engineering.

I don't think that argument is very relevant when the alternative is Hershey's.

And yeah, +1 for the free market.

Even in the US, there's a nice assortment of better chocolates than Hershey's. I share CorruptUser's cyncism about British food, but honestly, this makes me want to find nice US alternatives to Hersheys out of spite.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:18 am UTC

http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=128034

WASHINGTON, Jan. 26, 2015 – The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff has established a research and essay competition in honor of Saudi Arabia’s King Abdullah Bin Abdul-Aziz hosted by the National Defense University.

The king, who died Jan. 23 at age 90, oversaw the modernization of his country’s military during the time he spent as commander of the Saudi Arabian National Guard, a position he held from 1963 until he became king in 2005.

Army Gen. Martin E. Dempsey said the essay competition is a fitting tribute to the life and leadership of the Saudi Arabian monarch.

Lifetime Supporter of U.S.-Saudi Alliance

The king was a lifetime supporter of his country’s alliance with the United States. Abdullah ruled Saudi Arabia from 2005 to his death, and served as regent of the country from 1995. He is succeeded by King Salman Bin Abdul-Aziz.

“This is an important opportunity to honor the memory of the king, while also fostering scholarly research on the Arab-Muslim world, and I can think of no better home for such an initiative than NDU,” Dempsey said in a statement announcing the competition.

The competition will focus on issues related to the Arab-Muslim world and is designed to encourage strategic thinking and meaningful research on a crucial part of the world. The program will be in place at NDU for the next academic year, officials said.

‘A Man of Remarkable Character and Courage’

Dempsey first met Abdullah in 2001, when he was a brigadier general serving as the U.S. advisor to the Saudi Arabian National Guard. “In my job to train and advise his military forces, and in our relationship since, I found the king to be a man of remarkable character and courage,” Dempsey said.

Marine Corps Maj. Gen. Frederick M. Padilla, the president of the National Defense University, welcomed the opportunity to challenge future students while honoring the late king.

“This scholarly research competition presents NDU students with a unique opportunity to focus their research and writing efforts on relevant issues at the intersection of U.S. security interests and the Arab-Muslim world,” he said.

Yes, he was such a remarkably horrible human being; from jailing homosexuals to executing rape victims, just an exemplary example of how horrible people can be.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

sardia

Postby sardia » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:33 am UTC

Shut up, he has oil.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:41 am UTC

You forgot the part where his family used that oil money to fund all the Salafi madrassas throughout the Islamic world, including quasi-indirectly the Muslim Brotherhood and the Qtubis. For those that don't know much about the Mid-East, Salafism is Sunni fundamentalism, Wahhabism is the Saudi version though they call themselves Salafi; "Wahhabi" is the term non-Saudi Salafis use for the Saudis as a bit of an insult. Oh, the reason for the Salafi-Wahhabi split? The Salafis think the Saudis are too liberal.

Grop

Postby Grop » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:56 am UTC

It is important for Hershey to protect its trademark rights and to prevent consumers from being confused or misled when they see a product name or product package that is confusingly similar to a Hershey name or trade dress

What many Britons and British-chocolate lovers are most incensed about is the difference in taste between chocolate made in Britain and chocolate made in the United States.

:lol:

Too bad they didn't say "protect customers from being confused".

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:49 pm UTC

Nobody, in the history of ever, has accidentally purchased a cadbury bar or similar and been confused and dismayed that it is not Hersheys.

Or if they have, they are bad people.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:41 pm UTC

My local game store sold some imported Hersheys chocolate a little while back. For a bit, it sold reasonably well, as people were curious and wanted to try something new... but then once people had actually tried it, it stopped selling. Because it was miserable.

It's no wonder Americans wage war all the time, if that's what they have to live with instead of chocolate...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:56 pm UTC

phlip wrote:My local game store sold some imported Hersheys chocolate a little while back. For a bit, it sold reasonably well, as people were curious and wanted to try something new... but then once people had actually tried it, it stopped selling. Because it was miserable.

It's no wonder Americans wage war all the time, if that's what they have to live with instead of chocolate...
This made me smile. :D

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:09 pm UTC

phlip wrote:My local game store sold some imported Hersheys chocolate a little while back. For a bit, it sold reasonably well, as people were curious and wanted to try something new... but then once people had actually tried it, it stopped selling. Because it was miserable.

While the majority of Hershey's products aren't very good IMO, I do have a soft-spot for:

1. Hershey's Symphony
2. York Peppermint Patties
3. Hershey's Hugs (white chocolate mixed with their milk chocolate)

We don't know the European brands, but generally speaking "European Chocolate" commands a higher price in the States.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:29 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:

While the majority of Hershey's products aren't very good IMO, I do have a soft-spot for:

1. Hershey's Symphony
2. York Peppermint Patties
3. Hershey's Hugs (white chocolate mixed with their milk chocolate)

We don't know the European brands, but generally speaking "European Chocolate" commands a higher price in the States.

Hugs are indeed amazing. =)

If you dislike Hershey's chocolate, I suggest trying their ice cream for maximizing misery. Mmmm, chalky aftertaste.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:34 pm UTC

Screw you all, cookies n cream is awesome!

addams

Postby addams » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:53 am UTC

morriswalters wrote:

This made me smile. :D

this is so funny.
My working theory for Why England went out and conquered the world: "They were looking for something Good to eat."
When the found India they stopped. They were done. They had Curry. They knew they could take food and go home.

They made the Indians subject of the Crown, on paper.
Those Indians took some Tangori and followed the English Home.

It's a simplistic view.
Occum's Razor.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:41 am UTC

Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:57 pm UTC

http://time.com/3663506/flight-supersonic-speed/
A passenger plane in a jetstream almost hits the "speed of sound".
What they don't mention is that it was flying at the normal airspeed, and thus no closer to actually breaking the sound barrier.
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:44 am UTC

2004 BL86 has a moon.

As asteroid 2004 BL86 made its nearest approach to earth (1.4 million kilometers) Goldstone was mapping it with radar. It turns out the asteroid has a moon.

(Or maybe that's a reconnaissance ship for the upcoming alien invasion...)

But maybe this is old news, since, "In the near-Earth population, about 16 percent of asteroids that are about 655 feet (200 meters) or larger are a binary (the primary asteroid with a smaller asteroid moon orbiting it) or even triple systems (two moons)."

Learn something every day: 1 in 6 asteroids 655 feet or bigger have moons...and here I thought this was a rare thing. Which means (just free associating here) that is is kind of odd neither Mercury nor Venus has any moons. I don't know how much searching they've done on Mercury, but I remember reading somewhere that they had ruled out rocks larger than 1 meter in orbit around Venus.
In all fairness...

addams

Postby addams » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:13 am UTC

That's good.
I'd have thought having a moon would be rare, too.
The Universe is so strange.

Fun to watch.
For me, it's a little scary knowing I'm in The Game.
I am a fucking Small Player in the Cosmic Game.

I have been thinking about Venus, too.
She is our Sister Planet.

We are so much alike; Earth and Venus.
Have you done the Ten Point Check List?

Why is our Planet so delightfully cool and groovy?
Was Venus ever like us. Before....Before...

Before, (da-da-da-dum) Runaway GreenHouse Effect.
What could tip the scale and send This Rock down That Rock's atmospheric path?
With all the Global Warming discussions, I can't help but let it cross my mind.

If that is The Future, we don't have a worry in the world.
Nothing that looks even vaguely like us will live in That.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus
Spoiler:
Venus is a terrestrial planet and is sometimes called Earth's "sister planet" because of their similar size, mass, proximity to the Sun and bulk composition. However, it has also been shown to be radically different from Earth in other respects. It has the densest atmosphere of the four terrestrial planets, consisting of more than 96% carbon dioxide. The atmospheric pressure at the planet's surface is 92 times that of Earth's. With a mean surface temperature of 735 K (462 °C; 863 °F), Venus is by far the hottest planet in the Solar System, even though Mercury is closer to the Sun. Venus has no carbon cycle that puts carbon into rock, nor does it seem to have any organic life to absorb carbon in biomass. Venus is shrouded by an opaque layer of highly reflective clouds of sulfuric acid, preventing its surface from being seen from space in visible light. It may have possessed oceans in the past,[13][14] but these would have vaporized as the temperature rose due to a runaway greenhouse effect.[15] The water has most probably photodissociated, and, because of the lack of a planetary magnetic field, the free hydrogen has been swept into interplanetary space by the solar wind.[16] Venus' surface is a dry desertscape interspersed with slab-like rocks and periodically refreshed by volcanism.

Why don't the other inner rocky planets have moons?
I don't know. We are just Lucky, I guess.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:09 am UTC

Coyne wrote:
Learn something every day: 1 in 6 asteroids 655 feet or bigger have moons...and here I thought this was a rare thing. Which means (just free associating here) that is is kind of odd neither Mercury nor Venus has any moons. I don't know how much searching they've done on Mercury, but I remember reading somewhere that they had ruled out rocks larger than 1 meter in orbit around Venus.

I thought Venus and Mercury were too close to the sun to have moons. Due to gravity of the sun being stronger there or something.

This may have been a 'lie to children'.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:16 pm UTC

Poop On Gym Floor Results In Underwear Inspection At Elementary School

I don't know if this belongs in the humorous or bad news thread, but a kid pooping on the gym floor is funny to me, so here you go.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:58 pm UTC

Angua wrote:I thought Venus and Mercury were too close to the sun to have moons. Due to gravity of the sun being stronger there or something.

It doesn't depend on closeness to or gravity of the Sun, but on the Hill sphere: either Mercury or Venus should be able to retain moons inside their respective spheres. While Mercury's sphere is comparatively small (see graph)--probably less than 200,000 km, it's hard to tell on the graph--the sphere for Venus is the size of the sphere for Mars, and both of those are on the same order of size as that for Earth.

The article even points out that a Mercury-crossing asteroid, (66391) 1999 KW4 has a moon within its 22 km Hill sphere. The asteroid diameter is just 1.3-1.5 km and it's moon is estimated to be 360 meters.

So what's the deal with planets having no moons, but asteroids do?
In all fairness...

Vahir

Postby Vahir » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:59 pm UTC

We won't all be murdered by AIs, says Microsoft

Hooray! Time to get out of your nuclear bunkers, everyone!

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:03 pm UTC

Vahir wrote:We won't all be murdered by AIs, says Microsoft

Yes we will, says Bill Gates.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:04 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Vahir wrote:We won't all be murdered by AIs, says Microsoft

Yes we will, says Bill Gates.

False alarm, everyone back in the bunkers.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:05 pm UTC

The Microsoft guy who said we were safe was clearly an AI construct trying to lull us into a false sense of security.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

addams

Postby addams » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:10 am UTC

Will it be a better world when they get us cleaned up and out of the way?

Maybe, That has been our Mission all along.
Spoiler:
Our species is a steward species.

Something is fucking Wrong with us.
We know deep down inside,
"We are stewards. We're doing this Wrong."

So; We create AI that can and will do The Job.
The Job we can't and won't do.

The AI notice, we are The Problem.
As we make mistakes, we die.

"Nothing new under the sun."
The Movie Clip shows Paradise.
Eden is Perfect. No HumanKind.

It could happen.
But, not today.

It is a common human Fairy Tale.
Told and re-Told.

Don't Worry.
Be Happy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PlgN0ta6E8

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:42 pm UTC

Planet J1407b appears to have a ring system 200 times the size of Saturn's.

The article shows an artist's impression of the rings in Earth's sky, if the planet were in Saturn's orbit. They would appear wider than the moon.
In all fairness...

addams

Postby addams » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:16 pm UTC

How is it funny?
It is simply amazing.

The scale is so large.
How many planets in that Solar System?

Just the one?
A spoiled only child?

It has all the moons.
It has all the rings.
It has all the mass.

What is that system called?
Exo-Hydrogen?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:08 pm UTC

addams wrote:How is it funny?

The title of this thread is: In other news...(humours news items, etc). Though funny is better, it seems to be hard to find, in today's furrowed-brow world.

The full official name of the system containing J1407b is, kid you not, "1SWASP J140747.93-394542.6" (J140747.93-394542.6 is its right ascension and declination and 1SWASP refers to the SuperWASP program). J1407 will do for casual conversation.

They only know of the one planet for sure. But a planet as big as J1407b appears would be kind of greedy and, yes, spoiled. And a domineering control freak. There's a suggestion of a large moon that might be close to the size of Earth or Mars, for example.

---

Public and Scientists Views on Science and Society (PDF) from Pew Research Center has a graph (page 6) showing the difference between the opinions of American Association for the Advancement of Science members and typical American adults. Some commonalities toward the bottom, but boy do we differ, by 40 points or more on:

Safe to eat genetically modified foods
Favor use of animals in research
Safe to eat foods grown with pesticides

I generally agree with the scientists, except for GMO's (don't trust companies with a profit motive and poor morals) and pesticides (don't trust farmers to use them safely).
In all fairness...

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:02 am UTC

addams wrote:Will it be a better world when they get us cleaned up and out of the way?

You'll be happier when you realize there is no mission. Or maybe you won't, anyhow those rings are pretty.

Spoiler:
If an AI were to evolve, why would he want to stay here, a sitting target for whatever the random thing the Universe might do. He could go into deep space and think deep thoughts. And go look at those rings. Imagine the view.

addams

Postby addams » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:41 am UTC

morriswalters wrote:
addams wrote:Will it be a better world when they get us cleaned up and out of the way?

You'll be happier when you realize there is no mission. Or maybe you won't, anyhow those rings are pretty.

You may not have a mission.
Maybe, you should.

Have you ever had a mission?
Did you have a good time?

We have new rings to consider.
I wasn't quite done with the old rings.
https://www.google.com/search?q=the+rin ... 200%3B2400

The new ones look like that.
Only Bigger.

This one is better.
https://www.google.com/search?q=the+rin ... 766%3B1364

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

K-R

Postby K-R » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:41 am UTC

Coyne wrote:GMO's (don't trust companies with a profit motive and poor morals)

I got into an argument about GMO's with my mother the other day. Her entire argument was yelling "thalidomide" over and over.

addams

Postby addams » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:01 am UTC

K-R wrote:

I got into an argument about GMO's with my mother the other day. Her entire argument was yelling "thalidomide" over and over.

ok.
That's funny news.

Your mom was yelling "thalidomide".
That has absolutely nothing to do with GMO's.

That's a Drug vs No Drug argument.
Not a GMO argument.

Is your Mom a Back to Earth Nut?
Do you have these discussions over cups of Dandelion Tea she harvests from the meadow?

Family arguments can be so silly.
Blood relatives that share not only genes but also language, culture, educational system
and a bathroom cannot define the terms of the conversation. That's funny stuff.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:22 pm UTC

K-R wrote:

Actually, although her argument isn't very detailed, she has a point. The thalidomide problem arose because of drug companies with a profit motive and poor morals, which is the same objection I currently have to GMOs.

These days, I don't trust new drugs either. Hasn't been on the market for 10 years? Not interested.

If you need clarification of my concerns, see this page of someone testing the first bulletproof vest. The main difference between that and today's GMO/drug companies is this: They make us wear the vest for the test.

Edit to add:
This is what I mean about a company with a profit motive and poor morals: Thalidomide’s big lie overshadows corporate apology. Chemie Grünenthal was operated in such a way that they clearly didn't care whether thalidomide might risk birth defects; that when it began to become clear it did, they worked to cover it up. They just wanted the profit and didn't care how it affected humanity.
In all fairness...

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:44 pm UTC

You wouldn't be able to get FDA approval or EMA assent for asprin or paracetamol if you discovered them today. Modern drugs tend to be safe, just of questionable efficacy. You're not wearing the bulletproof vest, thousands of poor people (usually Indians) wear the vest first.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

mousewiz

Postby mousewiz » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:07 am UTC

Coyne wrote:Public and Scientists Views on Science and Society (PDF) from Pew Research Center has a graph (page 6) showing the difference between the opinions of American Association for the Advancement of Science members and typical American adults. Some commonalities toward the bottom, but boy do we differ, by 40 points or more on:

I find it curious that nearly half of the non-scientists are opposed to animal testing, but not nearly half of non-scientists are vegan. Unless most people were thinking animal testing of random vanity products while forgetting about the life saving stuff? Because as a vegan, I don't think I'd turn down lifesaving treatment that was tested on animals.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:11 am UTC

People be dumb. The fact that there are anti vaxxers out there and in enough numbers that the US no longer has herd immunity is proof enough that we should consider exams before letting people breed. Hey, the whole point of marriage licenses was to stop the spread of syphillis, back when we pretended people didn't have sex before marriage anyway, why not an exam to detect the stupids?

Eh, a bit of a hyperbole, but I just really hate it when other people have to suffer from someone else's stupidity.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:59 pm UTC

Student suspended from Texas school for threatening another student with the One Ring.

"I assure you my son lacks the magical powers necessary to threaten his friend's existence," Aiden's father wrote in an email. "If he did, I'm sure he'd bring him right back." Principal Roxanne Greer declined to comment on the school's zero tolerance policy on magic rings.

The child already has a reputation as a troublemaker. Two of the disciplinary actions this year were in-school suspensions for referring to another classmate as 'black', and bringing his favorite book to school: "The Big Book of Knowledge."

“He loves that book. They were studying the solar system and he took it to school. He thought his teacher would be impressed,” his father said.

But the teacher learned the popular children’s encyclopedia had a section on pregnancy, depicting a pregnant woman in an illustration, he explained.

Return to “News & Articles”