In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Mambrino

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Mambrino » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:03 pm UTC

Australia to compete in the 2015 Eurovision Song Contest in Vienna, Austria.

This year, the Eurovision Song Contest celebrates its 60th anniversary. To give the anniversary celebrations an extra dimension and to walk the talk on this year’s theme Building Bridges, the EBU and host broadcaster ORF invited Australia to compete in the Grand Final of the 2015 Eurovision Song Contest. This brings the total amount of represented countries to 40.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:08 pm UTC

But not the US. Oh well, American Idol it is. Also we'd be voted to last...

Grop

Postby Grop » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:19 pm UTC

Eurovision wasn't a silly thing before that. Not at all.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:21 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:But not the US. Oh well, American Idol it is. Also we'd be voted to last...

It's not like Australia has any real chance of winning.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:15 am UTC

PeteP wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:But not the US. Oh well, American Idol it is. Also we'd be voted to last...

It's not like Australia has any real chance of winning.

I reckon we'll get a few of the "At least they're not <INSERT COUNTRY HERE>" votes. Also, it depends on what kind of act we put forward - I've seen suggestions ranging from Tim Minchin to the cast of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert to Kevin Bloody Wilson, all of whom seem to fit into some part of the Eurovision spectrum (or we could send the Hilltop Hoods and really confuse people).
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:36 am UTC

ConMan wrote:Also, it depends on what kind of act we put forward - I've seen suggestions ranging from Tim Minchin to the cast of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert to Kevin Bloody Wilson, all of whom seem to fit into some part of the Eurovision spectrum (or we could send the Hilltop Hoods and really confuse people).

Talking like there isn't one clear choice...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:05 am UTC

I'd second that, phlip. While they don't quite fit the usual image of Eurovision, they're definitely very Australian. Just...just don't even joke about sending the Hilltop Hoods.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:17 am UTC

Oh yeah, Tripod were mentioned too. I think they're a good (and obvious) choice, but what about the Kransky Sisters?
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:31 am UTC

I just realized that I can't name a single Australian band not mentioned here (none of them I had heard of before this thread).
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:43 am UTC

Well, the obvious answer to 'name an Australian band' is AC/DC. I doubt they'd play Eurovision, though.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:46 am UTC

Thesh wrote:I just realized that I can't name a single Australian band not mentioned here (none of them I had heard of before this thread).

Almost all of the ones named here are comedy acts, and except for Tim Minchin few of them have much in the way of international fame. The Hilltop Hoods are probably Australia's most popular hiphop group at the moment but I have no idea what their international profile is like. And AC/DC are a classic rock band who did get famous internationally.
pollywog wrote:

Rodion Raskolnikov
Alyona Ivanovna knows what you did last summer

Postby Rodion Raskolnikov » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:39 pm UTC

Kylie would seem to fit the Eurovision bill quite perfectly.

Yo Rodja's kind of a dick, those are the facts / He murdered a pawnbroker with an axe
Now Dosoyevsky is here to teach you / About his problems with the philosophy of Nietzsche

~ ahammel

oxoiron

Postby oxoiron » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:55 pm UTC

Adacore wrote:Well, the obvious answer to 'name an Australian band' is AC/DC. I doubt they'd play Eurovision, though.
Oh, I didn't think of them. My obvious answer was Midnight Oil. And ditto on the Eurovision thing.
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect)."-- Mark Twain
"There is not more dedicated criminal than a group of children."--addams

WilliamLehnsherr

Postby WilliamLehnsherr » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:54 pm UTC

Don't Eurovision acts always in some way try to reflect their country's culture? I'm already cringing at the thought of a bunch of white guys in khaki singing about the beach and beer to the sound of 70s pub rock with didgeridoos thrown in as a superficial acknowledgement of Indigenous Australians.

Anyway, there's a petition for TISM to reform to play in Eurovision. For everyone outside of Australia who has no idea who they are, they made this family friendly pop song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-mLIdLZZeI

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:32 am UTC

On a more serious note, here's a (mostly) forgotten Australian classic from 1978:
One Long Day (/ One Lonely Night) - Cold Chisel.

One of my favourite tracks from the early 1970s:
Golden Miles - Healing Force. They were an Aussie band, but their lead singer (Charlie Tumahai) was from New Zealand.

An Oz psychedelic hit from 1969:
The Real Thing - Russell Morris.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:11 am UTC

http://billingsgazette.com/news/governm ... e9398.html

HELENA — A Montana lawmaker is seeking to strengthen the state’s indecent exposure law, stopping just short of his wish to outlaw yoga pants.

Rep. David Moore on Tuesday introduced House Bill 365 in the House Judiciary Committee in response to a group of naked bicyclists who rolled through Missoula in August.

The proposal would expand indecent exposure law to include any nipple exposure, including men’s, and any garment that “gives the appearance or simulates” a person’s buttocks, genitals, pelvic area or female nipple.

The Republican from Missoula said tight-fitting beige clothing could be considered indecent exposure under his proposal.

“Yoga pants should be illegal in public anyway,” Moore said after the hearing.

Mambrino

Postby Mambrino » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:56 am UTC

WilliamLehnsherr wrote:Don't Eurovision acts always in some way try to reflect their country's culture? I'm already cringing at the thought of a bunch of white guys in khaki singing about the beach and beer to the sound of 70s pub rock with didgeridoos thrown in as a superficial acknowledgement of Indigenous Australians.

Maybe in 70s? Okay, occasionally some participant country still does that, but usually they're then trying to win with the votes from the weird/funny category (or at least it ends up looking like that, if not intentional).

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:36 am UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:On a more serious note, here's a (mostly) forgotten Australian classic from 1978:
One Long Day (/ One Lonely Night) - Cold Chisel.

One of my favourite tracks from the early 1970s:
Golden Miles - Healing Force. They were an Aussie band, but their lead singer (Charlie Tumahai) was from New Zealand.

An Oz psychedelic hit from 1969:
The Real Thing - Russell Morris.

For me, its the mid eighties,
Wide Open Road -The Triffids.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:41 am UTC

Thesh wrote:http://billingsgazette.com/news/government-and-politics/montana-lawmaker-seeks-to-outlaw-yoga-pants/article_71538ba2-d529-5ec3-a289-108de20e9398.html

HELENA — A Montana lawmaker is seeking to strengthen the state’s indecent exposure law, stopping just short of his wish to outlaw yoga pants.

Rep. David Moore on Tuesday introduced House Bill 365 in the House Judiciary Committee in response to a group of naked bicyclists who rolled through Missoula in August.

The proposal would expand indecent exposure law to include any nipple exposure, including men’s, and any garment that “gives the appearance or simulates” a person’s buttocks, genitals, pelvic area or female nipple.

The Republican from Missoula said tight-fitting beige clothing could be considered indecent exposure under his proposal.

Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:44 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:http://billingsgazette.com/news/government-and-politics/montana-lawmaker-seeks-to-outlaw-yoga-pants/article_71538ba2-d529-5ec3-a289-108de20e9398.html

*boggle*

What's this guy's address? I wanna send him a hijab. Clearly, he's a fan.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:57 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:
The proposal would expand indecent exposure law to include any nipple exposure, including men’s,

Wouldn't this make mankinis mandatory when swimming?

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:20 pm UTC

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:48 pm UTC

Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:46 pm UTC

http://journalstar.com/news/local/911/a ... 7dc5d.html

Bomb squad called in after reports of a suspicious banana hanging in a tree.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:48 pm UTC

Well, you know they are fish who hunt divers on land.

Can't trust em.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:10 pm UTC

Ironically, the movie avoids showing real buttholes, almost Austin Powers style.

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:39 pm UTC

Quercus wrote:
Thesh wrote:
The proposal would expand indecent exposure law to include any nipple exposure, including men’s,

Wouldn't this make mankinis mandatory when swimming?

I would assume so, though as this law would only apply to Montana, I'm okay with it.
If you like Call of Cthulhu and modern government conspiracy, check out my Delta Green thread.
Please feel free to ask questions or leave comments.

benefluence

Postby benefluence » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:03 am UTC

Thesh wrote:

Thankfully, the response to the bill was almost literally, "lol, no"
Although members of the committee giggled about the bill, no discussion was allowed before a [unanimous] voice vote to table it.
http://billingsgazette.com/news/governm ... z3RZanu51K

I swear we're not all crazy

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:07 am UTC

benefluence wrote:I swear we're not all crazy

Says the jester to the congress of fools.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:04 am UTC

Background: Boundary Changes A New Scheme To Steal An Election Says Brantley

I took the trouble to dig this out because St. Kitts and Nevis allow anyone to be a citizen, no matter where they live. See Citizenship by Investment Program. I had wondered if this boundary change was a move by "investors" to secure their votes.

For more background yet, read up on 'Bitcoin Jesus' Renounced His American Citizenship — So Now The US Isn't Letting Him In. I think this is humorous: he renounced his U.S. citizenship, bought a citizenship in St. Kitts and Nevis, and lives...well, I don't actually know where he lives; though I've seen Japan identified as his home in one article.

But he applied for an entry visa to the U.S. through the embassy at Barbados. His application was turned down because "he has insufficient ties to a nation of residence"...which means he can live wherever in the world he wants; and if he came to the U.S., he might try to live here again.

But I think the problem is more fundamental: He has a criminal record and, when he was ours we had to put up with him, but now he's theirs.
In all fairness...

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:50 am UTC

No, most of the citizens by investment don't live here and don't vote. The boundaries were changed because different villages tend to vote one way or the other. The people flying in (or, being flown in) for our elections are all people who are from here.

There have been problems with the publication of the voters list as well. That will be a matter for another court case.

We also had a great time with a 100 year old bridge being painted red over night (colour of the labour party who are in charge). After elections were called, it got painted half yellow. A few days later, it got repainted red and the words 'you can't stop labour' on the road beneath.

It's been interesting.
GNU Terry Pratchett

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:29 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:http://journalstar.com/news/local/911/article_446f922b-c7c9-535b-9cab-bd352927dc5d.html

Bomb squad called in after reports of a suspicious banana hanging in a tree.

Best part:
Around 2:30 p.m. a voice alerted dispatchers: Schweitzer has custody of the banana.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:24 pm UTC

GNU Terry Pratchett

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:08 am UTC

Anything that can be claimed without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:21 am UTC

hahaha, it's Crick suggesting that. :roll:

Let's start by saying that his PhD's in physics and his nobel prize is for him doing physics (that happened to be useful to biologists not physicists) and that since then he's used his fame to act like a biological expert and make all sorts of unfounded racist claims which have been discredited amongst actual biologists for a very long time; let's also note that he recently sold his nobel prize (the medal at least), because people no longer gave him any attention because they all think he's a racist for some reason.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he's just doing this to get in the news.

Also, the university of Buckingham? It's not exactly a bastion of rigorous research (in 2008, it was awarded "limited confidence" by the quality assurance agency). Unrelatedly, it's also pretty much the only private university in the UK (unless the New College for the Humanities has actually happened yet).
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:32 am UTC

eSOANEM wrote:hahaha, it's Crick suggesting that. :roll:

Let's start by saying that his PhD's in physics and his nobel prize is for him doing physics (that happened to be useful to biologists not physicists) and that since then he's used his fame to act like a biological expert and make all sorts of unfounded racist claims which have been discredited amongst actual biologists for a very long time; let's also note that he recently sold his nobel prize (the medal at least), because people no longer gave him any attention because they all think he's a racist for some reason.

Since when was Circk a physicist? I thought his nobel prize was for him and Watson discovering structure of DNA. I think you are thinking of Watson - Crick has been dead for a decade.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:45 am UTC

eSOANEM wrote: and that since then he's used his fame to act like a biological expert and make all sorts of unfounded racist claims which have been discredited amongst actual biologists for a very long time; let's also note that he recently sold his nobel prize (the medal at least), because people no longer gave him any attention because they all think he's a racist for some reason.

You're entangling Crick and Watson - Watson is a geneticist by training who recently sold his Nobel medal and has espoused transparently racist views. Crick was a physicist by training (more latterly a neuroscientist) and it's him who came up with the idea of directed panspermia. He died in 2004 and AFAIK never expressed a racist view in his life.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:49 am UTC

You're thinking of Watson, eSOANEM. Crick has been dead a few years.

(Oops, ninja'd by Quercus.)

His field was definitely physics, though. Rosalind Franklin (and Raymond Gosling) did the legwork in actually gathering the data (producing the best quality X-ray diffraction images of DNA at the time), some of which Watson and Crick then took and used to deduce the structure of DNA, which was published without her consent. On top of that, Watson and Crick themselves had struggled with finding a proper model for the structure, and Franklin told them personally that their models were wrong and, crucially, that the backbones of the structure had to be on the outside, not the inside as they had previously thought.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:13 pm UTC

Ah, so I am. I assumed it was the one who was still alive.

They were both physicists though, at that point, x-ray diffraction was fairly cutting-edge physics and they were being supervised by someone in the physics department (which is also where all the equipment was).

Amusingly, their PhD supervisors kept telling them off for messing around with this unrelated stuff rather than getting on with diffraction they were meant to be doing.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:38 pm UTC

Since one other person here seemed vaguely interested in our elections, this seems to be a very well written and comprehensive article about how our current elections/political kerfuffles compare with the rest of the Caribbean.

http://www.nationnews.com/nationnews/news/63542/people-st-kitts-poll-buck-trend#sthash.oFiJPVsV.dpuf
GNU Terry Pratchett

Return to “News & Articles”