In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:58 pm UTC

I think you mean North America there.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:06 pm UTC

You do realize you forgot German, right? The Amish speak it, and a few Texans do as well. Since Texas didn't have enough black people to harass, the KKK used to beat up German immigrants and force them to speak English. This would be hilarious if it wasn't so horrible.

firechicago
Location: One time, I put a snowglobe in the microwave and pushed "Hot Dog"

Postby firechicago » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:26 pm UTC

Really, you go straight to German, which has maybe 100,000 native speakers in North America (half of them recent immigrants), and not something like Nahuatl (1.5 million native speakers) or Haitian Creole (9.6 million speakers, and something like half a million in the US) or Yucatec Maya (800,000 speakers)?

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:43 pm UTC

You are off by a factor of 10. 1.08 million people speak German as their primary language in the US. Most aren't immigrants; like I said, a fuckton of Amish. More of you include Yiddish and other variants, while the Native American languages are less than 400,000 combined. Can't link on phone, just google "census language use in US".

Oh, nearly 3m Chinese speakers!

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:07 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:I think you mean North America there.
It was early and I was impaired. You are correct.
CorruptUser wrote:You do realize you forgot German, right?
No, I didn't miss it, but compared to English and Spanish speakers the numbers are minor. Compare the situation to the one in Europe. In a somewhat smaller area you have a number of active languages and transportation system tying them together. On a train you could pass through 8 to ten different nations using entirely different languages without ever needing a passport. Most people here will only see German used in rural areas, Chinese on either coast, and the rest spread out, hell, west and crooked. In other words mostly they will hear English and Spanish.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:15 pm UTC

I hear German every single time I go to NYC.

Grop

Postby Grop » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:51 pm UTC

morriswalters wrote:This isn't the Continent. And foreign languages suffer as a result in the US, particularly in K through 12. You don't get the confidence that comes from being in many unfamiliar language experiences.

morriswalters wrote:No, I didn't miss it, but compared to English and Spanish speakers the numbers are minor. Compare the situation to the one in Europe. In a somewhat smaller area you have a number of active languages and transportation system tying them together. On a train you could pass through 8 to ten different nations using entirely different languages without ever needing a passport.

While the facts may be true, in the everyday life of most Europeans, we don't get exposed to many foreign languages, especially ones that are not English. Because most people don't travel all the time and English is spoken everywhere (well people from the UK and the US may not be aware of that because of the big conspiracy against them).

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:29 pm UTC

Damn, I knew it was true...
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:44 pm UTC

Grop wrote:While the facts may be true, in the everyday life of most Europeans, we don't get exposed to many foreign languages, especially ones that are not English. Because most people don't travel all the time and English is spoken everywhere (well people from the UK and the US may not be aware of that because of the big conspiracy against them).
I can't speak for the UK, but US citizens are isolated. And ignorant of that isolation. Despite CorruptUser's hearing German in NYC, the fact is that in the US English is dominant to the point drowning out everything else. We have nothing like Belgium and we can travel coast to coast and never see a street sign in any language but English. You can start at the Mexican border and go to the North Pole as well. It is in part why we seem to be as arrogant as we are, everything close to us is like us, English speaking. And I would guess that possibly your average US citizen doesn't know that French is the official language of Quebec.

firechicago
Location: One time, I put a snowglobe in the microwave and pushed "Hot Dog"

Postby firechicago » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:32 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:You are off by a factor of 10. 1.08 million people speak German as their primary language in the US. Most aren't immigrants; like I said, a fuckton of Amish. More of you include Yiddish and other variants, while the Native American languages are less than 400,000 combined. Can't link on phone, just google "census language use in US".

Oh, nearly 3m Chinese speakers!

Huh, I made the mistake of assuming that speakers of certain dialects represented a majority of speakers. Now I'm really curious where all those other German speakers are coming from, since even if we assume all the Amish are L1 German speakers, that's only about 300,000, per Wikipedia, and Texas German is a dying language/dialect, with something like 10,000 living speakers. Are they from old enclaves like New Ulm MN, or are they new immigrants?

(And for the record, I was under the impression that we were talking about North America, so while L1 speakers of native languages are a rounding error in the overall US population, they're a large minority in Mexico and Central America, adding up to 10's of millions of speakers.)

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:47 am UTC

This recent story on California immigrants from Mexico who don't speak Spanish well (or at all) may be of interest:
http://ww2.kqed.org/stateofhealth/2015/ ... ry-fields/

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:30 am UTC

From this BBC article about Blatter and Platini being banned from soccer for 8 years, Greg Dyke, the chairman of the English FA is quoted as saying:

Greg Dyke wrote:This story of corruption has been around for a long time, the weird thing about so many members of Fifa is that they were prepared to go along with it. When I was trying to persuade people not to vote for Blatter last time, a lot of people just said to me that Blatter had been very good to them. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Blatter stood again tomorrow that he couldn't get 51% of the members to vote for him despite all this.

Is it just me, or does "a lot of people said he'd been very good to them" seem like a euphemism for "Blatter straight up bribed at least half the FIFA members"?

sardia

Postby sardia » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:10 am UTC

A lot of these countries these people are from are really poor. What do you call a poor district where the congress man gets arrested for corruption? A man who's been really good to his district. Same thing here. He may have been bad but he took care of his constituents.

elasto

Postby elasto » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:53 am UTC

Some 'happy' terrorist news:

A group of Kenyan Muslims travelling on a bus ambushed by Islamist gunmen protected Christian passengers by refusing to be split into groups, according to eyewitnesses. They told the militants "to kill them together or leave them alone", a local governor told Kenyan media.

At least two people were killed in the attack, near the north-eastern village of El Wak on the Somali border. The Somali based al-Shabab group says it carried out the attack. The group often carries out attacks in Kenya's north-east.

When al-Shabab killed 148 people in an attack on Garissa University College in April, the militants reportedly singled out Christians and shot them, while freeing many Muslims.

Last year, a bus was attacked near Mandera by al-Shabab militants, who killed 28 non-Muslims travelling to Nairobi for the Christmas holidays.

"The locals showed a sense of patriotism and belonging to each other," Mandera governor Ali Roba told Kenya's private Daily Nation newspaper: "The militants decided to leave after the passengers' show of unity", he added.

An employee of the Makkah bus company, who had spoken to the driver involved in the attack, confirmed to the BBC that Muslims had refused to be separated from their fellow Christian passengers.

The passengers on the bus showed great bravery, but there was another quality revealed by their surprising decision to stand up to the gunmen: Frustration.

The majority of the local population in the north-east are Kenyan Muslims of Somali descent, and they have been hit hard by the consequences of al-Shabab attacks, even if non-Muslims are supposedly the main target of the Somali militant group.

An attack last year in Mandera, in which Christians were killed after being separated from Muslims, caused the departure of more than 2,000 teachers, as well as many health workers who had come from other parts of the country.

Perhaps the passengers felt that the region could simply not afford another such attack.

It will be interesting to see if their actions embolden local populations to increase their resistance to al-Shabab, which has attacked the area several times.

link

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:13 pm UTC

Ah, the "I am Sparticus" gambit.

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:07 pm UTC

ObsessoMom wrote:This recent story on California immigrants from Mexico who don't speak Spanish well (or at all) may be of interest:
http://ww2.kqed.org/stateofhealth/2015/ ... ry-fields/

That is really worring. Even a simple question like 'Do you have any allergies?' are life and death matters in a hospital. The idea that there is no government funding for medical interpreters is shocking.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-35151967 wrote:The militants decided to leave after the passengers' show of unity, he added.

That sounds like something that would happen in a corny kids T.V. show. You know, the kind where 'the power of friendship' or 'love' ultimately defeats the enemy. I wish life were more like those cartoons.
Last edited by jewish_scientist on Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:13 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
"You are not running off with Cow-Skull Man Dracula Skeletor!"
-Socrates

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:30 pm UTC

Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:03 pm UTC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzF1KySHmUA

Just an internet blacksmith who was getting tired of the 9/11 Conspiracy Theorists. Not that this video will "prove" anything to them, but hey, at least we got a GIF of weakened steel in action.

The blacksmith heated the steel bar to 1800F, which is higher than jet fuel, but is approximately the peak temperature that the World Trade Center was at on that fateful day (There was only enough jet fuel to burn for 10 minutes). In any case, he demonstrates how solid steel becomes grossly weaker at high temperatures (but still several hundred degrees below the melting point).

If anyone wants to lose their minds, read the comment section of that video.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:32 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:If anyone wants to lose their minds, read the comment section of that video.

There's already a 19 minute (note his original video was 2 minutes) "debunking" of his argument in the sidebar.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:20 pm UTC

Obviously, he's part of the conspiracy. Notice you can't see any wind in that video? That's because there's no wind on the moon. They had to fake the moon landing to cover up their secret studio there where they fake physics. That's why they can bend metal there, because stuff breaks down at lower heat when you're high up. It's just like boiling water when you're at a high altitude. And where is the moon? High up.

Beat that, sheeple.

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:32 pm UTC

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:06 am UTC

Exit the vampires' castle.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:04 pm UTC

WTF? WTF keeping the name WTF for this long is a definitely wtf moment.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:11 pm UTC

The mystery of India’s deadly exam scam

It's only a tiny little scandal, with 2,235 arrests by July this year, 31 dead (admittedly 5 of "suicide" and 11 of road accidents) and looks like it is set to bring down "Shivraj Singh Chouhan, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) chief minister of Madhya Pradesh."

With the police in possession of Mohindra’s spreadsheet and a ready list of suspects, the case seemed to be heading to a speedy closure. But in February this year, the opposition Congress party – which had been demanding for months that Chouhan resign over the scam – made a startling claim. The police taskforce, they alleged, had tampered with the spreadsheet of conspirators [found on an arrested conspirator's computer] to remove the name of the chief minister and replace it with the names of his rivals. The changes were made in “at least 48 places”, the Congress leader Digvijaya Singh – another former chief minister of Madhya Pradesh – claimed when we met in his office in New Delhi. “The chief minister’s name was either removed all together, or replaced with the name of Uma Bharati.”

Methodology:
  • Paid test taking (that is, smart kid takes test in rich kid's place)
  • "Mohindra" would alter the computer record of a scanned test, then request the original--to make a copy--and change it to match the answers (discovered because the students were supposed to leave the test blank, but one didn't, so Mohindra had to use whiteout to change the answers)
  • "Trivedi" would seal the answer key in an envelope while watched by observers; then later would open the envelope, take the answers out and copy them, then seal the answers in a new envelope

Sounds like a grand new profit enterprise. I know we have some of those here in the USA; not so widespread maybe?

Anyway, you'll need popcorn while reading the article. Talk about your he-said/she-said fest.
In all fairness...

sardia

Postby sardia » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:32 am UTC

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/29/upsho ... ref=health
Drug companies make more money prolonging your death than they do via preventative treatments that prevent your death. More market failures that doesn't have simple answers like "less government".
If the private market isn't coming up with the solution, I'm not sure if redesigning the system to make the private firms act in the public interest is worth the hassle. Is it that much harder to do a grant based system where you look where research is needed but not funded?

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:37 pm UTC

sardia wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/29/upshot/why-preventing-cancer-is-not-the-priority-in-drug-development.html?ref=health
Drug companies make more money prolonging your death than they do via preventative treatments that prevent your death. More market failures that doesn't have simple answers like "less government".
If the private market isn't coming up with the solution, I'm not sure if redesigning the system to make the private firms act in the public interest is worth the hassle. Is it that much harder to do a grant based system where you look where research is needed but not funded?

Uh, they credit it to the FDA's approval system and the government's patent system. So, yeah, even your SOURCE is directly blaming government for it three sentences in. I know you hate capitalism, but not everything has to be about how the 1%'s are driven by dollars and hatred.

Also, this sort of line has been spouted by "alternative medicine" folks for ages. The fact is, preventing cancer is fairly hard. Cancer is a whole lot of different, related things. Yeah, commercialization lag is a problem with the FDA's system, and a 7.5 yr approval time is going to have a huge hidden cost in lives, but that isn't a cancer prevention specific problem. It's a generic problem. People will always see the people that die because stuff gets through the process and demand more stringent controls. People who die because of things NOT being fixed are "normal", and do not provoke an outcry. So, government incentives always trend towards adding more restrictive testing at the cost of more approval time. That's why it takes so many years in the first place.

This is why giant government systems are a problem, and why just layering on more won't in any way fix it.

sardia

Postby sardia » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:10 pm UTC

When they cite the problem stemming from governmental rules, all you took out off it was" government bad. " I dunno why you let your anger against government blind you. the idea that government sets the framework for the market place to function is not new or controversial. You can't just blindly remove regulation here, especially when it's the patents that maintain the value of new drugs. But you rather issue a personal attack when I suggested more research funding.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:21 pm UTC

Look, even if you ignore money entirely, an increasing trend of years to market is a problem. 7.5 years is a long time.

Even if you cheerfully accept longass testing times, and increase patent protection to compensate, you still have longer time without the treatment. This costs lives.

speising

Postby speising » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:43 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:Look, even if you ignore money entirely, an increasing trend of years to market is a problem. 7.5 years is a long time.

Even if you cheerfully accept longass testing times, and increase patent protection to compensate, you still have longer time without the treatment. This costs lives.

That depends on how many drugs are rejected in those 7.5 years because they find out they have fatal side effects. If you pushed those into the market earlier, that'd cost lives, too. I wish i had numbers on this.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:49 pm UTC

speising wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:Look, even if you ignore money entirely, an increasing trend of years to market is a problem. 7.5 years is a long time.

That depends on how many drugs are rejected in those 7.5 years because they find out they have fatal side effects. If you pushed those into the market earlier, that'd cost lives, too. I wish i had numbers on this.

Well, things like "dietary supplements" are allowed on the market with jack-all for testing, so...there's really no barometer for safety that really makes sense with regards to the FDA's testing requirements.

sardia

Postby sardia » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:56 pm UTC

The ideas suggested was to somehow use better metrics that determine efficacy and safety faster. Not impossible, but not easily done either.
Extending the patent time was another solution, but that runs into the Trans Pacific pact. We agreed we wouldn't extend patents too much.
This is a complicated issue and simple rules won't help regardless of if reducing or increasing regulation from the government. That's why I suggested more federal research money be spent.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:48 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:
speising wrote:

Well, things like "dietary supplements" are allowed on the market with jack-all for testing, so...there's really no barometer for safety that really makes sense with regards to the FDA's testing requirements.

Well, Tom Harkin is no longer Senator, so we might be able to finally get rid of DSHEA. And OCCAM and NCCAM. Fuck all three of those, and fuck Tom Harkin. With a cactus.

elasto

Postby elasto » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 am UTC

Drunken-driving charges against a woman in upstate New York have been dismissed based on an unusual defence: her body is a brewery.

The woman was arrested while driving with a blood-alcohol level more than four times the legal limit. She then discovered she has a rare condition called “auto-brewery syndrome”, in which her digestive system converts ordinary food into alcohol, her lawyer Joseph Marusak said.

A town judge in the Buffalo suburb of Hamburg dismissed the charges after Marusak presented research by a doctor showing the woman had the previously undiagnosed condition in which high levels of yeast in her intestines fermented high-carbohydrate foods into alcohol.

The rare condition, also known as gut fermentation syndrome, was first documented in the 1970s in Japan, and both medical and legal experts in the US say it is being raised more frequently in drunken-driving cases as it is becomes more known.

During the long wait for an appointment, Marusak arranged to have two nurses and a physician’s assistant monitor his client for a day to document she drank no alcohol, and to take several blood samples for testing.

“At the end of the day, she had a blood-alcohol content of 0.36% without drinking any alcoholic beverages,” Marusak said. He said the woman, who cannot be named for reasons of medical confidentiality, also bought a breath test kit and blew into it every night for 18 days, registering around 0.20% every time.

The legal threshold for drunkenness in New York is 0.08%.

While people in cases described by Cordell sought help because they felt drunk and did not know why, Marusak said that was not true of his client. “She had no idea she had this condition. Never felt tipsy. Nothing,” he said.

Maybe she should bottle her biome and open a brewery!

link

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:22 am UTC

In which case she should have her license permanently revoked. After all, if epileptics can't get licenses...

elasto

Postby elasto » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:48 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:In which case she should have her license permanently revoked. After all, if epileptics can't get licenses...

To me it emphasises the flaw of a blood-alcohol test. It has the (admittedly overwhelming) advantage of being quick and objective - however if BAC doesn't map to actual driving impairment then that seems like a major flaw.

I mean, what if it's literally true that she drives better 'drunk' than 90% of people drive sober - through her metabolism being adjusted to being permanently tipsy or whatever...

It highlights questions about the whole purpose of this law: It ought to be about can someone drive with a minimum objective level of risk/safety but that's not practical - and people would regard it as 'unfair' (what if, for example, Lewis Hamilton was allowed a higher BAC limit than you or I because of his vastly better driving skill?)

Instead, in some respects we demand people do nothing to increase risk (strict legal limits on alcohol) and in other respects the law does nearly nothing (driving tired impairs as much as driving drunk but there's no roadside test for tiredness), which is pretty much a mess - though understandably so.

Anyhow, all this will be solved when our robotic car overlords take over...

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:21 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:In which case she should have her license permanently revoked. After all, if epileptics can't get licenses...

If she's capable, she's capable. .36 is pretty high, normally, but this ain't normal, and if she is actually acting responsibly because that's her normal, well, *shrug*

It's frigging odd, but if she's not actually a danger, I have no problem with it. Presumably she had this condition when she got her license, right?

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:15 pm UTC

elasto wrote:

To me it emphasises the flaw of a blood-alcohol test. It has the (admittedly overwhelming) advantage of being quick and objective - however if BAC doesn't map to actual driving impairment then that seems like a major flaw.

I mean, what if it's literally true that she drives better 'drunk' than 90% of people drive sober - through her metabolism being adjusted to being permanently tipsy or whatever...

It highlights questions about the whole purpose of this law: It ought to be about can someone drive with a minimum objective level of risk/safety but that's not practical - and people would regard it as 'unfair' (what if, for example, Lewis Hamilton was allowed a higher BAC limit than you or I because of his vastly better driving skill?)

Instead, in some respects we demand people do nothing to increase risk (strict legal limits on alcohol) and in other respects the law does nearly nothing (driving tired impairs as much as driving drunk but there's no roadside test for tiredness), which is pretty much a mess - though understandably so.

Anyhow, all this will be solved when our robotic car overlords take over...

I see three, practical solutions.
1: We find every condition that can lead to someone being unable to drive and create a fast, accurate test for each one to use when someone is pulled over for driving dangerously.
2: We create a fast, accurate test that can be used in the field that can determine how well a person can drive a.k.a. a driver's license test.
3: People learn to stop driving when impaired.
-Socrates

curtis95112

Postby curtis95112 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:01 pm UTC

I expect self-driving cars will take off long before any of those three possibilities happen.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:
Роберт wrote:Sure, but at least they hit the intended target that time.

Well, if you shoot enough people, you're bound to get the right one eventually.

Thats the best description of the USA ever.

sardia

Postby sardia » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:40 pm UTC

http://www.nature.com/news/mummies-reve ... ld-1.12568
Paleontology reveals that all natural diets also had heart disease. Suck it paleo dieters!

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:02 pm UTC

Even if self driving cars become commercially available today, it would still take years, maybe even decades, until they became the majority of cars driven. Therefor, we need to research and pursue these goals. Just like the idea that every car on the road will be self driving 100% of the time is probably never going to happen, achieving these goals is probably never going to happen. Still, good can come from trying to reach these 4 goals.

P.S. I could argue that everyone having a self-driving car is a way to reach goal number 3, but I think that argument would be a little pointless.
-Socrates

Return to “News & Articles”