In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Coyne

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Coyne » Tue May 31, 2016 4:24 pm UTC

ObsessoMom wrote:In my non-expert opinion, the GIF that shows some bright spots continuing to shine after that part of Ceres has rotated into shadow suggests phosphorescence.

Or a plume that reaches well above the surface.

I recollected there was a suggestion of a plume from Herschel telescope images from 2014. So I did a search and also found this, which I did not remember, and which suggests a plume, from Dawn in March 2015. Note especially:
"The question is whether Ceres has an active surface or not," said Dr Nathues, the camera team leader from the Max Planck Institute for Solar System Research.

"Interestingly, this feature is located in a crater of 80km diameter... you can see that feature when the rim is very likely in front of the line of sight."

Seeing the feature when the rim should be in the foreground suggests considerable height above surface.

Ceres is leaking!
In all fairness...

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Tue May 31, 2016 4:27 pm UTC

"Interestingly, this feature is located in a crater of 80km diameter... you can see that feature when the rim is very likely in front of the line of sight."

Clearly, it's a bioluminescent version of that worm-thing from The Empire Strikes Back.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Tue May 31, 2016 4:58 pm UTC

commodorejohn wrote:

Clearly, it's a bioluminescent version of that worm-thing from The Empire Strikes Back.

Or the Klingon solar-powered mining operation.
In all fairness...

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:12 am UTC

Stormed a vegan café. Brandished meat. Holds a neo-Nazi group responsible.
Spoiler:
BBC wrote:A vegan cafe in Tbilisi has appealed for public solidarity after being invaded by ultra-nationalists wielding grilled meat and sausages.

More than a dozen men stormed into the Kiwi cafe in the Georgian capital on Sunday evening, the cafe said, shouting and throwing meat at patrons. A brawl erupted but the attackers fled before police arrived. Police are now investigating, and say they have questioned the attackers and cafe staff. Nobody has been arrested.

The cafe has appealed for public support, saying it was no prank but a case of intimidation by neo-Nazis. The attackers wore strings of sausages round their necks and threw chunks of meat onto customers' plates, the BBC's Rayhan Demytrie reports from Tbilisi.

They are known as the Bergmann group, and a social media page shows their attacks on people of Arab or African origin, our correspondent reports. One photograph shows members making the Nazi salute.

The Kiwi cafe is in a traditional part of old Tbilisi, and is popular among young people sporting unconventional hairstyles, tattoos and body piercings. Most Georgians are Orthodox Christians and many see unorthodox lifestyles as a corrupting influence from the West. The cafe said it had drawn some local hostility because of "the way we look, music that we listen to, ideas we support, and the fact that we don't eat meat" and backing of causes such as rights for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people.

"During these hard times you can support us just by visiting our cafe, we will be very grateful if you come to show everyone that here are a lot of us who care about the issue!" the Kiwi cafe said in a statement on Facebook.

It later told the BBC it had received strong messages of solidarity - from Georgia and abroad - but that people had also left angry comments trying "to defend those fascists". It said it was also appealing for financial contributions to install security cameras in case of repeat incidents.

The incident comes amid growing concerns about the rise of far-right nationalism in Georgia. Last week, hundreds of nationalists marched through central Tbilisi - waving Georgian flags and anti-communist banners, reports said - to mark independence from the Soviet Union in 1991.

Homophobia is also commonplace in Georgia, correspondents say. The country made world headlines in 2013 when a small group of LGBT activists were attacked by a large mob led by an orthodox priest.

The cafe statement blames Sunday's incident on the group of men who came into the premises, talking loudly, throwing meat and smoking, and then "yelling, laughing, and talking to us sarcastically". These people "were neo-Nazis... who support fascist ideas", the cafe said.

Some minor injuries were sustained.

The police arrived only after the attackers had left, but the cafe said even some of those officers behaved aggressively, "yelled with anger, said that we are guilty of what had happened".

Sounds strange, but terrifying. Is throwing your meat around (and wearing it) the conventional lifestyle? Did someone mistranslate "mete"?
Changes its form depending on the observer.

SDK

Postby SDK » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:09 pm UTC

As in, to meat out justice? Ha.

I'm confused what meat has to do with anything here, really.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:19 pm UTC

BBC wrote:They are known as the Bergmann group, and a social media page shows their attacks on people of Arab or African origin, our correspondent reports. One photograph shows members making the Nazi salute.

Heil Heifer!
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:56 pm UTC

SDK wrote:I'm confused what meat has to do with anything here, really.

Attracts people with unconventional ideas. Attacked one of many. Chose the obvious common denominator. Commanded them to conform, essentially. (Implied that in the article, at least.)
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:07 pm UTC

This week in "how could YouTube's copyright enforcement system possibly become any more of a fucking joke?", a Warner Brothers video posted on a Warner Brothers channel has been removed due to a copyright claim by Warner Brothers.
Exit the vampires' castle.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:14 pm UTC

I understand that anything less automated would require massive amounts of work considering the amount of request they probably have to deal with, but their automatic system is just an exploitable mess.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:41 am UTC

PeteP wrote:I understand that anything less automated would require massive amounts of work considering the amount of request they probably have to deal with, but their automatic system is just an exploitable mess.

Not only that, but anything less automated would not be so perfect!
In all fairness...

addams

Postby addams » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:31 am UTC

Deva wrote:Stormed a vegan café. Brandished meat. Holds a neo-Nazi group responsible.
Spoiler:
BBC wrote:A vegan cafe in Tbilisi has appealed for public solidarity after being invaded by ultra-nationalists wielding grilled meat and sausages.

More than a dozen men stormed into the Kiwi cafe in the Georgian capital on Sunday evening, the cafe said, shouting and throwing meat at patrons. A brawl erupted but the attackers fled before police arrived. Police are now investigating, and say they have questioned the attackers and cafe staff. Nobody has been arrested.

The cafe has appealed for public support, saying it was no prank but a case of intimidation by neo-Nazis. The attackers wore strings of sausages round their necks and threw chunks of meat onto customers' plates, the BBC's Rayhan Demytrie reports from Tbilisi.

They are known as the Bergmann group, and a social media page shows their attacks on people of Arab or African origin, our correspondent reports. One photograph shows members making the Nazi salute.

The Kiwi cafe is in a traditional part of old Tbilisi, and is popular among young people sporting unconventional hairstyles, tattoos and body piercings. Most Georgians are Orthodox Christians and many see unorthodox lifestyles as a corrupting influence from the West. The cafe said it had drawn some local hostility because of "the way we look, music that we listen to, ideas we support, and the fact that we don't eat meat" and backing of causes such as rights for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people.

"During these hard times you can support us just by visiting our cafe, we will be very grateful if you come to show everyone that here are a lot of us who care about the issue!" the Kiwi cafe said in a statement on Facebook.

It later told the BBC it had received strong messages of solidarity - from Georgia and abroad - but that people had also left angry comments trying "to defend those fascists". It said it was also appealing for financial contributions to install security cameras in case of repeat incidents.

The incident comes amid growing concerns about the rise of far-right nationalism in Georgia. Last week, hundreds of nationalists marched through central Tbilisi - waving Georgian flags and anti-communist banners, reports said - to mark independence from the Soviet Union in 1991.

Homophobia is also commonplace in Georgia, correspondents say. The country made world headlines in 2013 when a small group of LGBT activists were attacked by a large mob led by an orthodox priest.

The cafe statement blames Sunday's incident on the group of men who came into the premises, talking loudly, throwing meat and smoking, and then "yelling, laughing, and talking to us sarcastically". These people "were neo-Nazis... who support fascist ideas", the cafe said.

Some minor injuries were sustained.

The police arrived only after the attackers had left, but the cafe said even some of those officers behaved aggressively, "yelled with anger, said that we are guilty of what had happened".

Sounds strange, but terrifying. Is throwing your meat around (and wearing it) the conventional lifestyle? Did someone mistranslate "mete"?

Deva; You have done it!

That is Real News.
And; That is Funny.

...People Act Stupid,
Always have/Always will.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:35 am UTC

Bro Nazis and bratwurst. There's a joke in there.

Also my phone corrected "neo" to "bro". Leaving that in...

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:58 pm UTC

A cowboy lassoes a bicycle thief outside a Walmart. That's totally a thing that actually happens in America.

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:26 am UTC

And that's what makes this country great.
- Bjarne Stroustrup

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:12 pm UTC

Burglar changes his Facebook status to 'Doing over Tescos'. And that's what makes this country great. (and the level of intelligence that may result in us leaving the European Union).
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

Grop

Postby Grop » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:32 pm UTC

Jumble wrote:(and the level of intelligence that may result in us leaving the European Union).

Well In all frankness I doubt this decision will make you guys more or less intelligent. Also I didn't want to link any article about English hools in Marseille (which could also be articles about French police).

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:01 pm UTC

Point well made. The only intelligible argument I've heard so far for leaving is that, following the behaviour of our football fans, frankly Europe is better off without us. I accept that it appears from the news coverage that the Russian fans initiated last nights problems, but old fashioned UK thugs had been disgracing us on previous days at that point.

I think the UEFA line of 'either side try that again and you're out' is absolutely right. I hope they stick to it.
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:24 pm UTC

Yeah, but getting kicked out of the Euros will stir up a lot more anti-Euro sentiment here at an inopportune time.

As for Russia... it's getting hosted there next time round, isn't it?
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

Grop

Postby Grop » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:11 pm UTC

Whatever happens, I doubt any country will be kicked out of the euro football thing.

But I am amazed there is a Northern Ireland team, and a Northern UK team or something, and so many UK teams. There is no South West and North East or whatever French teams, and we could certainly argue that such places really have names.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:37 pm UTC

Not sure if you're joking, but that's because the UK is four different countries in a union. Northern Ireland is a different country to Ireland. By "Nothern UK" I can only imagine you mean Scotland?

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:59 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:Not sure if you're joking, but that's because the UK is four different countries in a union. Northern Ireland is a different country to Ireland.

Well that's not the whole of it – the Soviet Union and Yugoslavia only had one team each. The British home nations are grandfathered in because football originated there, and they competed separately from the start of international play.

sardia

Postby sardia » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:00 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:Not sure if you're joking, but that's because the UK is four different countries in a union. Northern Ireland is a different country to Ireland. By "Nothern UK" I can only imagine you mean Scotland?

Does anyone take that seriously? I mean it's like calling Crimea a country, or the states of the US a country.

Grop

Postby Grop » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:01 pm UTC

That was a joke indeed (well I mean the phrasing of Scotland as North UK). But it is obvious to me that every country in the world can be divided into historical parts.

And I don't see how Scotland or Northern Ireland are more relevant as international teams than say Bavaria or Provence.

(I will say again, that I have no interest in football).
Last edited by Grop on Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:09 pm UTC

Sure, but I advise you not to say that if you visit either of those countries.

To be honest I'd prefer us to just have a UK team, it would make the country (the UK) feel more unified - less rivalry between England and Scotland for example.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:11 pm UTC

Grop wrote:And I don't see how Scotland or Northern Ireland are more relevant as international teams than say Bavaria or Provence.

See my above comment. They're grandfathered in because they competed separately from the start of international football.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:15 pm UTC

From Wikipedia it seems the difference is England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are actually separate countries, and the UK is some kind of state made up of them. As opposed to say, the states of the US, which are now part of one country. I'm not sure what the actual difference is in practice though, seems to mostly be a difference in labelling.

Grop

Postby Grop » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:18 pm UTC

Yes of course that is historical.

And Mutex of course I wouldn't say that while traveling. That wouldn't be safe and polite. It is generally safe to not discuss football or politics at all with strangers (while rugby and any other sports are safe).

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:24 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:From Wikipedia it seems the difference is England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are actually separate countries, and the UK is some kind of state made up of them. As opposed to say, the states of the US, which are now part of one country. I'm not sure what the actual difference is in practice though, seems to mostly be a difference in labelling.

"Country" is a customary term with no precise legal definition. In reality the United Kingdom is simply a unitary state, while the United States is a federal state (itself composed of states). The kingdoms of Scotland and Ireland were fully legally extinguished by their respective acts of union.

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:46 pm UTC

Jumble wrote:Burglar changes his Facebook status to 'Doing over Tescos'. And that's what makes this country great. (and the level of intelligence that may result in us leaving the European Union).

Hey! America is the world leader in using social media to incriminate oneself.
"You are not running off with Cow-Skull Man Dracula Skeletor!"
-Socrates

kingofdreams

Postby kingofdreams » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:02 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:Sure, but I advise you not to say that if you visit either of those countries.

To be honest I'd prefer us to just have a UK team, it would make the country (the UK) feel more unified - less rivalry between England and Scotland for example.

amen
theres already plenty sufficient tribalism in the post-thatcher era
I think the state of the union would benefit from the home nations pulling an olympics and sending one squad
Picard- I shall appoint you my executive officer in charge of radishes

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:57 am UTC

Mark Zuckerberg claims not to be a lizard person. Yeah, sure.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:05 am UTC

Lazar wrote:Mark Zuckerberg claims not to be a lizard person. Yeah, sure.

But inquiring minds are still inquiring: Is he an alien gray?
In all fairness...

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:22 pm UTC

Woman survives being stalked by an angry wolf in the wilderness by running into a bear.

thunk

Postby thunk » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:01 pm UTC

Rare Antarctic rescue mission underway to save sick South Pole scientists.

This happens only rarely. It's now just about midwinter at the South Pole, and it'll be pitch black for another three months. Landing on the ice, done by Twin Otter ski-planes is extremely dangerous due to the extreme cold and utter lack of light. But they're getting better at it. Good luck!

Current Progress
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:59 am UTC

South Pole Station - News

Hard to find anything new, though, and the FlightAware link seems to have tapped out. Or else the planes are still in Central America, which is unlikely.
In all fairness...

sardia

Postby sardia » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:35 pm UTC

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/arc ... nt/487649/

Wisconsin Congresswoman is asking: Shouldn’t the wealthy have to prove their worth for all the government benefits they receive, too?

Congresswoman Gwen Moore (D-WI) is introducing the Top 1% Accountability Act of 2016, which would require drug testing for all tax filers claiming itemized deductions totaling over $150,000. Moore’s bill would require those with the higher itemized deductions to submit a clear drug test to the IRS or take the standard deduction, which is lower. The bill is intended to highlight the fact that it’s not just the poor who receive aid, even if they’re the ones asked to prove their standing. Aid to the wealthy comes mostly in the form of tax breaks, which allow them to keep money that they would otherwise be required by law to pay to the government.

While it won't pass, it's ironic that a substantial portion of the ultra wealthy wouldn't pass drug tests. The rich abuse all sorts of drugs, opiates Adderall, etc etc. They just don't get caught.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:56 pm UTC

I don't think it would pass Constitutional muster, even if it passed.

What I have thought of before, and would like to see, is that the executive staff (VP and above) and the board members of any company receiving a subsidy be subject to a similar requirement. Not to mention routine and more open audits.
In all fairness...

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:03 pm UTC

The point of drug testing for welfare recipients is not to reduce drug use, it's to shame people for needing help. Rich people don't need help so why should we shame them? They are basically hand chosen by God to be the money bearers of society, and are thus the most righteous people in society.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:20 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:Woman survives being stalked by an angry wolf in the wilderness by running into a bear.

You say that like its a bad thing.

thunk wrote:Rare Antarctic rescue mission underway to save sick South Pole scientists.

This happens only rarely. It's now just about midwinter at the South Pole, and it'll be pitch black for another three months. Landing on the ice, done by Twin Otter ski-planes is extremely dangerous due to the extreme cold and utter lack of light. But they're getting better at it. Good luck!

Current Progress

I was going to make a joke about The Thing; however, this article was just too awe-inspiring.

sardia wrote:http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/06/drug-tests-for-the-1-percent/487649/

I will not comment on this because if I do I will fill 2 pages with ranting. The very short summary: "Sorry sir, you tested positive for illegal drugs. We must stop helping you and your family. However, if you fill out this form and take it to the desk over there, then a program designed to provide financial assistance to recovering drug addicts and their families may be able to help you."

Thesh wrote:The point of drug testing for welfare recipients is not to reduce drug use, it's to shame people for needing help. Rich people don't need help so why should we shame them? They are basically hand chosen by God to be the money bearers of society, and are thus the most righteous people in society.
In other words Moral = Money. I think that accurately descriptions the root causes of ~50% of the U.S.'s/ the world's problems. What is the strangest about that is every formal system of morality that I can think of (except Ian Rand's) views gathering wealth as a bad or a neutral character trait.
"You are not running off with Cow-Skull Man Dracula Skeletor!"
-Socrates

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:25 am UTC

jewish_scientist wrote:
Thesh wrote:The point of drug testing for welfare recipients is not to reduce drug use, it's to shame people for needing help. Rich people don't need help so why should we shame them? They are basically hand chosen by God to be the money bearers of society, and are thus the most righteous people in society.
In other words Moral = Money. I think that accurately descriptions the root causes of ~50% of the U.S.'s/ the world's problems. What is the strangest about that is every formal system of morality that I can think of (except Ian Rand's) views gathering wealth as a bad or a neutral character trait.

See prosperity theology, promoted by most televangelists in the United States. Probably to justify the lavish lifestyles of the pastors themselves, which fly in the face of so much Biblical talk about caring for the poor, widows and orphans, etc.

Return to “News & Articles”