In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

sardia

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Postby sardia » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:08 pm UTC

ucim wrote:... and they get away with it because to the actual decisions most people make in life, it doesn't matter what shape the earth is. Unless you are a tanker ship captain in the southern hemisphere or a GPS systems designer for example, you can get by believing the earth is banana shaped.
Alas, what people believe the shape of the earth is shows what the shape of the earth is in.
e

Pffft, the doom Sayers have been whining about the quality of present day since forever. Prove it that the shape of the Earth is getting worse with some metrics that span hundreds or thousands of years. And no cheating by saying global warming.

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:23 pm UTC

Zohar wrote:It is enough to just get on a tall building and verify to can see farther off to prove the world is not flat. Maybe it's oblong, maybe it changes from places to place, but it would definitively prove it's not flat.

Nah, clearly that's just due to the atmosphere being thinner at higher altitudes, so from higher up you can see further because the blanket of air isn't as thick and takes longer to start obstructing your line of sight.

...Right?
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:07 pm UTC

Can you see Aconcagua from Everest?
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:44 am UTC

Sableagle wrote:Can you see Aconcagua from Everest?

Everest is at 27°59′17″N 86°55′31″E, Aconcagua is at 32°39′12.35″S 70°00′39.9″W (Wikipedia).

Using this great circle mapper yields 6945 miles surface distance between them on the surface. The Earth is a 360 degree sphere, and the angle between the center of the Earth in the two mountains can be computed as a proportion of the circumference of the Earth. So 6945/24900×360° yields about a 100° angle.

Now compute the height of the triangle formed by the center of the Earth and the two points using the radius of 3960 miles. Chop triangle in half to form two right triangles, radius is hypotenuse and the vertical distance is the adjacent of the 50 degree half angle, 3960 cos 50° is about 2545 miles.

So if you look straight from tippy top to tippy top, through the Earth, the bulge of the Earth would stick up above your line of sight about 3960-2545 or 1,414 miles. I would think that would sort of block your view, even from those heights.

Now if I just did everything right...
In all fairness...

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:20 am UTC

DaBigCheez wrote:
Zohar wrote:It is enough to just get on a tall building and verify to can see farther off to prove the world is not flat. Maybe it's oblong, maybe it changes from places to place, but it would definitively prove it's not flat.

Nah, clearly that's just due to the atmosphere being thinner at higher altitudes, so from higher up you can see further because the blanket of air isn't as thick and takes longer to start obstructing your line of sight.

...Right?

We have a horizon because that *isn't* happening.
Notice how, when it's misty/foggy, you don't have a sharp horizon.

Now obviously this won't win you any arguments with a flat-earther; they'll just claim that's just large billboards tracking your movement, setup by the Secret Government Agency.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:58 pm UTC

Coyne wrote:
Sableagle wrote:Can you see Aconcagua from Everest?

Everest is at 27°59′17″N 86°55′31″E, Aconcagua is at 32°39′12.35″S 70°00′39.9″W (Wikipedia).

Using this great circle mapper yields 6945 miles surface distance between them on the surface. The Earth is a 360 degree sphere, and the angle between the center of the Earth in the two mountains can be computed as a proportion of the circumference of the Earth. So 6945/24900×360° yields about a 100° angle.

Now compute the height of the triangle formed by the center of the Earth and the two points using the radius of 3960 miles. Chop triangle in half to form two right triangles, radius is hypotenuse and the vertical distance is the adjacent of the 50 degree half angle, 3960 cos 50° is about 2545 miles.

So if you look straight from tippy top to tippy top, through the Earth, the bulge of the Earth would stick up above your line of sight about 3960-2545 or 1,414 miles. I would think that would sort of block your view, even from those heights.

Now if I just did everything right...
...you can ask a flat-earther the same question, and see what answer you get. I couldn't see Denali from up here, or Africa out of the other windows, but I'm curious how they'd try to explain that.

speising

Postby speising » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:00 pm UTC

oh please, that's easy. Einstein has proven that gravity affects light. Ergo, light from distant objects gets deflected downwards, which *looks* like the earth were curved.

HES

Postby HES » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:04 pm UTC

speising wrote:Eminem has proven that gravity affects light.

How I read that.
He/Him/His Image

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:10 pm UTC

speising wrote:oh please, that's easy. Einstein has proven that gravity affects light. Ergo, light from distant objects gets deflected downwards, which *looks* like the earth were curved.

Any perceived planetary curvature is the result of the ends of the Earth being curved like a table edge:

Where's your precious Science, now!?
"The Universe is for raptors now!" say Raptors, as they take over all of Universe.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:34 pm UTC

HES wrote:
speising wrote:Eminem has proven that gravity affects light.

How I read that.

right on.
"We have met the enemy, and we are they. Them? We is it. Whatever."
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:42 pm UTC

I'd sooner be taught physics by Professor M Mathers than the ICP clowns. Magnets...

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:54 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:I'd sooner be taught physics by Professor M Mathers than the ICP clowns. Magnets...

ok but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMFPe-DwULM
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:58 pm UTC

HES wrote:How I read that.
Headline today:
UN attacks forced civilian relocations
... which only made sense after I read the first paragraph. Turns out civilian relocations happened, they were forced ones, and the UN has issued a fatwa against them or something, not that civilians relocations were made necessary by attacks by the UN.

karhell

Postby karhell » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:21 am UTC

Oh wow. Talk about misleading headlines... I had to re-read that several times to parse it properly
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:43 am UTC

From my first view of this news report, I find it humorous (and perhaps borderline unreconstructed-man/undiscovered-fetishist?) that the headline picture of her in her official 'work gear' is far more revealingly salacious than the sample image demonstrating why she was dismissed.

(Maybe they picked worst-of vs. best-of, a lower 'work' photo has a slightly more modest costume featured.)

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:29 pm UTC

Watch a sunset while laying on your belly. As soon as the last rays of the sun disappear from your view, quickly stand up. If the Earth is round, this slight change in viewing angle should be enough to let you see the tiniest little sliver of the sun. A more rigorous form of the same experiment can be done with 2 cameras and a ladder. The same thing in reverse is why the bottom of a ship sailing away disappears before the top.

What always annoys me about these types of conspiracy theories is that they have no explanation on how they would start. There was a point in time where no one know the shape of the Earth, so they did experiments to figure it out. Since they already had no idea, they would have no reason to alter the published results.

elasto

Postby elasto » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:36 pm UTC

jewish_scientist wrote:Watch a sunset while laying on your belly. As soon as the last rays of the sun disappear from your view, quickly stand up. If the Earth is round, this slight change in viewing angle should be enough to let you see the tiniest little sliver of the sun.

Wouldn't the same thing be observed if the earth were flat with a rounded edge though (as per pkcommando's pic)?

(As ucim says, sunsets themselves seem to pose the bigger problem: It's trivial for any geographically scattered group to confirm that sunset for each of them happens hours apart, which doesn't make any sense if we're all looking at the same sun and the earth is flat.)

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:49 pm UTC

If space (the Earth) isn't bent, then perhaps time (local 'nowness') is bent, like Christopher Priest's Inverted World (or differently, but a similar distortion logic). Or tied to 'latitude' so that as you walk clockwise/widdershins around a pole-centred disc you experience a linear time-dilation-like effect. That wraps to match +0.5 days against -0.5 days.

With a fudge around the pole (and polar rim).

Probably 'easier' to just have a Sun looping around the mid-radius 'equator' with a complex helical counter-distortion of all light rays specifically designed to make it look like a spherical Earth. And, needs a) temporal delay of light across to the further reaches, b) a solar 'orbit' (or adjustment of warping mechanism) that makes for a larger apparent mid-'latitude' circling during Southern Summer, plus c) speedtrap that light across to opposite where the Sun 'is', while fastlining Southern Summer Sunlight all round that rim (noting that Scott-Amundsen Base and the immediate surrounds is on the soundstage next to the Apollo 11 one) while diverting light away from the Northern Winter Darkness (and vice-versa, dragging the smaller-circling Sun light away from the rim during Southern Winter).

It's basically needing to be designed to fake what is apparent reality (see Terry Pratchett's Strata), enough to fool all us shills (and thus needs far fewer actual co-conspiritors to keep the Truth away from honest scientists who can be taken in by the Designed-In Conspiracy). Also, it needs a Designer. But if you're cutting the throat of Occam with a razor you pretty much have to bring your own barber-surgeon to do it.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:53 pm UTC

Speaking of hard to parse headlines, what would you guess this one (from the BBC) is about?

'Deeply sorry' Labour disputes chief quits

Spoiler:
The chief of the Labour party's disputes panel has quit, saying she is deeply sorry.

Grop

Postby Grop » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:53 pm UTC

I wouldn't know how to parse disputes panel.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:09 am UTC

Grop wrote:I wouldn't know how to parse disputes panel.

(Assuming natural grammatical unfamiliarity, and taking "Location: France" as the cue…)
"Panneau des Différends", apparently. A panel for the handling of disputatious concerns.

(If it's a comment about the garden-pathness of the 'explanatory' phrase…)
"The chief of the Labour party's disputes panel has quit," is of course different from "The chief of the labour party disputes panel has quit", where someone denies that the dissolution of an entire panel has happened. ;)

karhell

Postby karhell » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:55 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
Grop wrote:I wouldn't know how to parse disputes panel.

(Assuming natural grammatical unfamiliarity, and taking "Location: France" as the cue…)
"Panneau des Différends", apparently. A panel for the handling of disputatious concerns.

(If it's a comment about the garden-pathness of the 'explanatory' phrase…)
"The chief of the Labour party's disputes panel has quit," is of course different from "The chief of the labour party disputes panel has quit", where someone denies that the dissolution of an entire panel has happened. ;)

Except that unless there's some subtlety that escaped me, "panneau" is specifically a signpost-type panel. Something like "commission des litiges" would be more accurate.
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

Grop

Postby Grop » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:34 am UTC

To be honest I actually did parse that phrase as a noun phrase made of two nouns that I would have to look up. Obviously it is some organisation responsible for handling disputes, which I assume to be legal ones.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:26 pm UTC

karhell wrote:Except that unless there's some subtlety that escaped me, "panneau" is specifically a signpost-type panel. Something like "commission des litiges" would be more accurate.

You'd be right. Mr Google sounded so confident (including in reverse, for a basic sanity check) and Mr French Teacher, decades ago, never ever got me up to a standard good enough for me to second-guess that. ;)

(If I ever correct a foreign anglophone's English, unsolicited, it's because I know they care and are trying. Mostly though I find myself correcting an anglospheric anglophone where they obviously don't care/aren't trying. Not here, though. This forum is blessedly free of "could of"s, etc. Here I can just try to fill the gaps before the real experts realise that something I've answered can be answered better, across all subjects I deign to poke my nose into.)

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:10 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote: This forum is blessedly free of "could of"s, etc.

Challenge excepted.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:11 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:

Challenge excepted.

I effected you're deliberate mis-take their so, its a mute point.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:17 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:

Challenge excepted.

That should be

Code: Select all

raise Exception("Challenge")

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:27 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:From my first view of this news report, I find it humorous (and perhaps borderline unreconstructed-man/undiscovered-fetishist?) that the headline picture of her in her official 'work gear' is far more revealingly salacious than the sample image demonstrating why she was dismissed.

(Maybe they picked worst-of vs. best-of, a lower 'work' photo has a slightly more modest costume featured.)

I liked Kareem Abdul Jabbar's take on the situation, referring to the rules for cheerleaders as Jane Crow laws:

The NFL’s plan to protect America from witches
[This] encapsulates exactly what’s wrong with NFL management: They insist on being the self-appointed guardians of America’s mythological vision of itself. Malt shops on every corner, Pat Boone crooning on the jukebox, and modestly dressed virgins sitting around with knees clamped together waiting to be asked to prom. This 1950s, Father Knows Best soundstage fantasy doesn’t stop with paternalistic and puritanical gender stereotypes, but also promotes simplistic notions about race and patriotism. The NFL’s anachronistic fancies aren’t just a misguided attempt to pander to what they think their traditionalist fans want, but also projects the hard-core conservative values of the mostly rich, white one-percenters who own the teams. We must live in their Disneyland – or else.

[...]

In their Pleasantville fantasy, athletes still “Shut up and dribble” (or, in their case, “Shut up and tackle”). That’s because the majority of those athletes who speak up or kneel down in the real world are people of color calling attention to profound life-and-death inequities across the country, daily humiliating and life-threatening inequities that most these owners never have to face and therefore have no personal stake in. Attempts to silence players who refuse to accept their assigned roles fits right in with owners’ smarmy manipulation of the women cheerleaders through discriminatory Jane Crow “laws”.

The country would be outraged if a team’s rules stated that if a black player was eating at a restaurant and a white player walked in, the black player would have to leave the restaurant. Yet, those are the rules for Saints’ cheerleaders, who must leave a restaurant they are eating at if a Saints player arrives. We would be equally outraged if a company demanded that office personnel address top executives only with “hello” and “you’re wonderful”. Yet the Saints’ cheerleaders are restricted to saying only “hello” and “great game” to players. Other restrictions about weight, makeup, body hair, tampon use and forbidding sweatpants in public make it seem as if the Saints watched The Handmaid’s Tale and thought, “They just don’t go far enough.” In other words, shut up and jiggle.

elasto

Postby elasto » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:39 pm UTC

Can't say I disagree with that.

The US is a mass of contradictions in so many ways. A serious distrust of government oversight and fierce defence of personal autonomy and right to free speech - and yet seemingly total apathy when it comes to private organisations restricting the personal liberty of its employees on 'moral grounds' in ways that should have gone out of fashion in the Victorian era.

I was astonished to see the list of restrictions applied to the ladies - but not the guys, obviously, because it's the ladies that are the evil temptresses - it was Eve that caused Adam's downfall dontchaknow...

addams

Postby addams » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:24 pm UTC

umm. To be mildly pedantic;
There is not much funny in the way those women are treated.

MaMa Bear;
We might have been better served if you posted That in the Dark News Thread.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:22 am UTC

elasto wrote:Can't say I disagree with that.

The US is a mass of contradictions in so many ways. A serious distrust of government oversight and fierce defence of personal autonomy and right to free speech - and yet seemingly total apathy when it comes to private organisations restricting the personal liberty of its employees on 'moral grounds' in ways that should have gone out of fashion in the Victorian era.

I was astonished to see the list of restrictions applied to the ladies - but not the guys, obviously, because it's the ladies that are the evil temptresses - it was Eve that caused Adam's downfall dontchaknow...

An interesting article I happened upon seeks to explain that. "Why White Evangelism is so Cruel".

Many Christian movements take the title “evangelical,” including many African-American denominations. However, evangelicalism today has been coopted as a preferred description for Christians who were looking to shed an older, largely discredited title: Fundamentalist. A quick glance at a map showing concentrations of adherents and weekly church attendance reveals the evangelical movement’s center of gravity in the Old South. And among those evangelical churches, one denomination remains by far the leader in membership, theological pull, and political influence.

There is still today a Southern Baptist Church. More than a century and a half after the Civil War, and decades after the Methodists and Presbyterians reunited with their Yankee neighbors, America’s most powerful evangelical denomination remains defined, right down to the name over the door, by an 1845 split over slavery.

Not sure how much of it I agree with, but the thesis of the article presents an interesting line of thought, IE: the contradictions resolve themselves through the lens of a slave-owning society.

(And yeah, it's a bit of a dark turn in the responses to an article someone thought humorous) .
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:16 pm UTC

Man kicks moose – and gets similar treatment

The end of a long winter is a tricky time for moose, Marsh said. They're worn out and nutritionally stressed — maybe a little grumpy.
If you like Call of Cthulhu and modern government conspiracy, check out my Delta Green thread.
Please feel free to ask questions or leave comments.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:36 am UTC

And the moral of the story is, don't go around kicking mooses (meese?).

Also TIL a moose is a kind of cow. Makes sense if you imagine them without the antlers.

Raidri

Postby Raidri » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:51 am UTC

Mutex wrote:And the moral of the story is, don't go around kicking mooses (meese?).

Also TIL a moose is a kind of cow. Makes sense if you imagine them without the antlers.

The plural of moose is also moose.
And a female moose is a called a cow while a male moose is called a bull (like in a lot of other ungulates).

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:41 pm UTC

Raidri wrote:
Mutex wrote:And the moral of the story is, don't go around kicking mooses (meese?).

The plural of moose is also moose.
And a female moose is a called a cow while a male moose is called a bull (like in a lot of other ungulates).

Yep, don't kick a moose. Especially, don't kick several moose. Absolutely never kick a herd of moose.
In all fairness...

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:49 pm UTC

TIL death is no obstacle to campaigning for peace:
That's what we need, more murder victims fighting to stop violence.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:05 pm UTC

He was lucky it was a cow. If it was a Bull Moose, there wouldn't have been enough of him left to identify.

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:47 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:He was lucky it was a cow. If it was a Bull Moose, there wouldn't have been enough of him left to identify.

That would have been one Rough Ride.
If you like Call of Cthulhu and modern government conspiracy, check out my Delta Green thread.
Please feel free to ask questions or leave comments.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:47 pm UTC

Moose are actually quite dangerous. They attack humans far more frequently than bears, for example (though moose are generally less likely to kill you, they can still deal a lot of damage). It's also apparently a bad idea to hit one with your car.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:02 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:Moose are actually quite dangerous. They attack humans far more frequently than bears, for example (though moose are generally less likely to kill you, they can still deal a lot of damage). It's also apparently a bad idea to hit one with your car.

I suspect that is true because most people see bears as dangerous, and moose...not. Which is an incorrect assumption.
In all fairness...

Return to “News & Articles”