Page 254 of 379

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:46 pm UTC
by addams
I don't have a horse in the race, either.
I do know being threatened by a bunch of Thugs is damned un-fucking-nerving.

I think the White Unicorn shows such restraint on the part of Anonymous.
If not a Black Unicorn, then why not that Beautiful Black Man that did the 'Butt What' song?

I think that would be hysterical.
Every time anyone opened any computer link of any KKK site or the page of any of its members,
That person would face 'Butt What' man. For Racist Homophobes, that shit would be off putting.

I'll see if I can find a link to 'Butt What' man.

See?
That's why The Gods have seen fit to Not give me computer SuperPowers.
'Butt What' man would be EveryWhere!

EDIT: I found it!
NSFW
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbGkxcY7YFU

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:47 pm UTC
by Mallich
addams wrote:I don't have a horse unicorn in the race, either.
Fixed that for you.

On a less happy note:
Citizens of Thailand use Hunger Games three-fingered salute to protest against a government they claim is Capitol-level evil.
Government responds by being Capitol-level evil.
Link.
"Highlights" include:
Protesters being sent to a military camp to get an "attitude adjustment".
Police detain protesters, police Colonel says that "we are just inviting them to talk".

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:08 am UTC
by Coyne
Mallich wrote:Police detain protesters, police Colonel says that "we are just inviting them to talk".


Talk. Right. Under influence of the rack, no doubt.

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:24 am UTC
by yurell
Massive storm in Brisbane ... temperature dropped 15 degrees (C) in fourteen minutes, 141 km/hr wins, 20mL of rain in ten minutes (40 mL in 25 mins), 80k customers without power ...

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:31 am UTC
by Angua
Wow! Stay safe.

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:49 am UTC
by yurell
Hailstones were the size of golf balls, too, and up to the size of cricket balls; there are tonnes of windows that were completely destroyed all over the city.

Since I can't figure out how to get the image to be a thumbnail, here's a panorama of the storm rolling in: http://i.imgur.com/VqL1fqZ.jpg

Edit: For a news link, click here

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:09 am UTC
by Carlington
yurell wrote:Massive storm in Brisbane ... temperature dropped 15 degrees (C) in fourteen minutes, 141 km/hr wins, 20mL of rain in ten minutes (40 mL in 25 mins), 80k customers without power ...
This is the first I've seen/heard about this! If I remember right you're not up that way, though you might be - if so, hope you weren't hit too hard! Looks much, much worse than the ones down here the other week.
Mallich wrote:On a less happy note:
Citizens of Thailand use Hunger Games three-fingered salute to protest against a government they claim is Capitol-level evil.
Government responds by being Capitol-level evil.
Link.
"Highlights" include:
Protesters being sent to a military camp to get an "attitude adjustment".
Police detain protesters, police Colonel says that "we are just inviting them to talk".
On a more happy note:
Police have lain down their gear and taken down the barricades in solidarity with the protesters, which seems to mark a serious shift in the balance of power.
link

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:14 am UTC
by yurell
Carlington wrote:This is the first I've seen/heard about this! If I remember right you're not up that way, though you might be - if so, hope you weren't hit too hard! Looks much, much worse than the ones down here the other week.


I moved up here a couple of months ago for uni ... certainly the biggest storm I've ever seen, although I'm sure all the northerners with their constant TCs would just laugh at me.

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:58 am UTC
by PolakoVoador
Carlington wrote:
Mallich wrote:On a less happy note:
Citizens of Thailand use Hunger Games three-fingered salute to protest against a government they claim is Capitol-level evil.
Government responds by being Capitol-level evil.
Link.
"Highlights" include:
Protesters being sent to a military camp to get an "attitude adjustment".
Police detain protesters, police Colonel says that "we are just inviting them to talk".
On a more happy note:
Police have lain down their gear and taken down the barricades in solidarity with the protesters, which seems to mark a serious shift in the balance of power.
link


On a less happy note, this was about 1 year ago, during the protests and confrontations that culminated in the last coup. Unfortunately, I guess protesters are still being invited to "talk" and get an "attitude adjustment"..

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:43 pm UTC
by CorruptUser
yurell wrote:
Carlington wrote:This is the first I've seen/heard about this! If I remember right you're not up that way, though you might be - if so, hope you weren't hit too hard! Looks much, much worse than the ones down here the other week.


I moved up here a couple of months ago for uni ... certainly the biggest storm I've ever seen, although I'm sure all the northerners with their constant TCs would just laugh at me.


We call 'em Nor'easters. 'Cause they come from the Nor' and least till Easter. I remember the Winter o' 94...

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:11 am UTC
by addams
yurell wrote:Hailstones were the size of golf balls, too, and up to the size of cricket balls; there are tonnes of windows that were completely destroyed all over the city.

Since I can't figure out how to get the image to be a thumbnail, here's a panorama of the storm rolling in: http://i.imgur.com/VqL1fqZ.jpg

Edit: For a news link, click here

What interesting weather.
I live a world away.

140 kilometer is only 90 miles an hour.
The Storm Front looks a lot like the storm front that hit the US northeast last week.
The World Wide Communication Systems allow us to see in near real time what our grandparents rarely heard of.

May we have more photos?

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:02 am UTC
by addams
I found something funny on the Internet.
Then I followed from link to link, giggling.

All of a sudden, it was not so funny anymore.
Lives are being destroyed because of Stupidness.

Back to the Weather.

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:26 pm UTC
by Sizik
China bans puns.

This time, the East has gone too Far.

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:41 pm UTC
by addams
Sizik wrote:China bans puns.

This time, the East has gone too Far.

Maybe, I'm too Far East Positive.

I don't think they are going too far.
In Media, if a person says, "If you are not part of the solution; You are part of the precipitate."
A whole discussion of our shared cultural legacy begins.

No matter what the Talking Heads and Egg Heads say,
The Moms will keep saying the same things their Moms said. (i hope)

I hope the Moms don't learn "Go the Fuck to Sleep."
ech. They already know "Go the Fuck to Sleep".
It, just, sounds different, when they say it.

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:47 pm UTC
by mousewiz
Sizik wrote:China bans puns.

This time, the East has gone too Far.


I wonder how many people there enjoy Kool-Aid, drink of the children.

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:51 pm UTC
by Deva
Sizik wrote:China bans puns.

This time, the East has gone too Far.

The Future.png
Questionable Content 1410
The Future.png (11.38 KiB) Viewed 8803 times

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:59 am UTC
by addams
mousewiz wrote:
Sizik wrote:China bans puns.

This time, the East has gone too Far.


I wonder how many people there enjoy Kool-Aid, drink of the children.

I don't know about Kool-Aid.
Idioms are funny.
It's fun to mess with idioms, too.

The Weather is Here.
I wish you were Beautiful.

That's not the Original.

There was another idiom of sorts that seemed to make sense.
It says,
Once you have Mastered a Form;
You are Free to Improvise.


Maybe, the Social Action Warriors of the Far East want the Children to learn and consider the context of the Original.
Before they learn the Fractured Fairy Tale. The Cynics View.

I talk too much and I know squat about Chinese languages.
Spoiler:
"The Weather is Beautiful."
"I wish You were Here."

Is a beautiful, heart felt idiom.
It is easy for people to understand and share in the Thoughts and Feelings of that idiom.

In less formal environments,
"The Weather is Here."
"I wish You were Beautiful."

Is also heartfelt and easy to understand.
Maybe, they want the children to understand the first one, before they are told about their parent's divorce.

The second one explains so much about divorce.
It's all you really need to say to a child.
That child knows you.

I doubt the Chinese Police are going to be arresting people in Pubs for Unauthorized Limericks.
What?? Are they copying the Old Timey Russians. It didn't work for Russia. It won't for China.

From what I understand, when Russia tried to put a lid on the kinds of humor people could indulge in, Russia developed a Hysterical Sense of Humor.
That shit backfires.

I suppose, I do not see limits as an affront to freedom.
It is within limits we find the best stuff.

I am limited to English.
Learning Chinese and Chinese idioms would be so much work.
It's easier for a Chinese person to learn, Coke is the Real Thing!

I think they might be Right.
Learn your own Form, then decide between Coke and Pepsi.

Levis?
Why Levis?

Because two horses can tear them apart?
How often does that come up for you?

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:43 am UTC
by Thesh
Sizik wrote:China bans puns.

This time, the East has gone too Far.


Spoilered for way too late to the party:
Spoiler:
Sounds like homophobia is spreading from Russia.

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:00 am UTC
by addams
I have no idea if it is funny or not.
Australia is busy making laws to make its self safe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj_Z4wmPKng

Is it going to be safe, like the US is safe?

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:52 pm UTC
by LaserGuy
Nobel Laureate James Watson is apparently auctioning off his Nobel Prize.

The scientist has apparently been disgraced from the academic community for several years as a result of some fairly racist commentary he has made.

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:39 pm UTC
by CorruptUser
Edit redacted

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:01 pm UTC
by LaserGuy
Is that in response to me?

If so, I guess I have no idea. I'm not sure why I should be researching it.

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:12 pm UTC
by CorruptUser
Wow sorry wrong thread.

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:55 pm UTC
by addams
LaserGuy wrote:Nobel Laureate James Watson is apparently auctioning off his Nobel Prize.

The scientist has apparently been disgraced from the academic community for several years as a result of some fairly racist commentary he has made.

One of the world’s best-known scientists is selling his Nobel Prize medal in a bid to allow him to “re-enter public life” after being shunned for the past seven years for his comments linking race and intelligence.

What the Hell does that sentence mean???
It's a bid? A bid?
A bid for what?

To "re-enter public life"; Inside quote marks.
What?

I Googled it.
"re-enter public life" means to serve the Government in some capacity.
(fuck) A man wants to serve his nation, after he said the N-word during sex with a straight male intern.

The PR is going to Cost him. (ok. I get it.)
He wants Money to place a Bet on a PR Firm.

If he wins, he gets to work for the US Government and serve her people.
If he loses, ...What happens, if he loses?

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:36 pm UTC
by SlyReaper
One has to wonder how he thinks selling a nobel prize will help him re-enter public life. All it does is give him a bit of extra cash and a bit of extra scorn for being so mercenary. I mean, for one thing, who would even buy it? What's the point of having a nobel prize if you didn't earn it through your own work? Also, I didn't know they were transferable. Thought they were like titles and just stuck with whomever it was first bestowed upon. Is there a trophy or something?

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:44 pm UTC
by Krealr
SlyReaper wrote: Is there a trophy or something?


As the article states, he's selling the medal they give you. (They've been sold before, for quite a lot, though usually after the persons death)

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:04 pm UTC
by yurell
Wasn't he lamenting that he couldn't even buy some ridiculously expensive artwork?

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:08 pm UTC
by CorruptUser
What's the point of owning OJ's Heisman Trophy if you didn't win it? Yet someone did, and got to have OJ break into his house as a bonus!

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:11 am UTC
by bigglesworth
I hope that someone buys it and displays it next to a list of the names Crick, Franklin, Watson and Wilkins.

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:41 am UTC
by Diadem
SlyReaper wrote:One has to wonder how he thinks selling a nobel prize will help him re-enter public life. All it does is give him a bit of extra cash and a bit of extra scorn for being so mercenary. I mean, for one thing, who would even buy it? What's the point of having a nobel prize if you didn't earn it through your own work? Also, I didn't know they were transferable. Thought they were like titles and just stuck with whomever it was first bestowed upon. Is there a trophy or something?

There is a medal. It's made of solid gold. So it's worth quite a bit from weight alone. But they are apparently very valuable to collectors. Nobel prices have been sold before for several millions. Also, not all discoveries rewarded with Nobel prices are equally important, and this is one that is definitely near the top of the list.

I read an interesting story somewhere about getting a Nobel price through airport security. A solid gold medal shows up very clearly in a scanner, and it's not something they will encounter every day or easily recognize.

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:27 pm UTC
by Zamfir
SlyReaper wrote:One has to wonder how he thinks selling a nobel prize will help him re-enter public life. All it does is give him a bit of extra cash and a bit of extra scorn for being so mercenary.

Yeah, the scorn is the goal. As yurell notes, he is going the extra mile to make clear that he doesn't need the money. It's only to piss people off.
I mean, for one thing, who would even buy it? What's the point of having a nobel prize if you didn't earn it through your own work? Also, I didn't know they were transferable. Thought they were like titles and just stuck with whomever it was first bestowed upon. Is there a trophy or something?

It's catnip for rich collectors. It's a famous object, unique, tied to Capitalized World History. Also, geeky, which adds to the appeal to people who made their fortune in some technological business. The controversy might even add to the appeal.

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:41 pm UTC
by CorruptUser
Diadem wrote:Also, not all discoveries rewarded with Nobel prices are equally important, and this is one that is definitely near the top of the list.


Not to mention his name. If I were to tell you the prize was for the Law of Photoelectric Effect, you might not care, but if I were to tell you it was Einstein's prize (NOT relativity), you definitely would.

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:40 pm UTC
by ahammel
CorruptUser wrote:
Diadem wrote:Also, not all discoveries rewarded with Nobel prices are equally important, and this is one that is definitely near the top of the list.


Not to mention his name. If I were to tell you the prize was for the Law of Photoelectric Effect, you might not care, but if I were to tell you it was Einstein's prize (NOT relativity), you definitely would.

Which was the one that was dissolved in aqua regia to hide it from the Nazis and then recast after the war? I'll have that one, please.

Watson is an ass.

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:50 pm UTC
by CorruptUser
Franck (laws governing impact of electrons in atoms) and Laue (diffraction of X-rays by crystals). You can have one I'll take the other.

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:55 pm UTC
by addams
Is it a Right Thing to do?
To declare a hard working Human Being an Ass, or anything else, on the basis of an Internet Rumor?

Besides; What business is it of ours?
If we can disgrace his name, can we and future generations get out of understanding his work?

Remember the guy with the Valences Guess?
If we can remember his name and drag it through the Mud, can little Art Majors stop fretting about Valences?

Why would any of the Posters into this Thread, give a flying fuck, one way or the other?
Will he need to hire a PR Firm to tidy up his reputation, before his Wife will have lunch with him.

Jeeze. Poor Famous People.
Mr. Clinton, the ex-President, needed a PR firm to make an appointment for him to speak to His Wife.
The rumor I heard was, The Dog was the only person that would talk to him, for a while.

Cocker Spaniels are a very understanding breed.

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:02 pm UTC
by CorruptUser
Addams, Watson is an ardent supporter of Eugenics. Yes we get to call him an ass. Just because you did a great thing doesn't mean you didn't do a bad thing. Otherwise you run into the argument 'Well, Cosby's work is more important than the dozen or so women he raped, so we should let him go'. Sorry, no, we shouldn't let you go. Primarily because if we let people go 'because they are a net positive', it gives an excuse for 'good' people to do bad things.

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:23 pm UTC
by mathmannix
bigglesworth wrote:I hope that someone buys it and displays it next to a list of the names Crick, Franklin, Watson and Wilkins.

Watson and Crick are the two names I recognized. I had to look up the others...
How can you say someone is great if he's never been on bubblegum cards?

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:27 pm UTC
by bigglesworth
That's why I hope that someone with that inclination buys it.

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:42 pm UTC
by addams
bigglesworth wrote:That's why I hope that someone with that inclination buys it.

How many of those does the Smithsonian have?
Those people want the weirdest things.

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:57 pm UTC
by poochyena
The UK has banned the production of some types of porn
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/a- ... 97174.html

Spoiler:
Spanking

Caning

Aggressive whipping

Penetration by any object "associated with violence"

Physical or verbal abuse (regardless of if consensual)

Urolagnia (known as "water sports")

Female ejaculation

Strangulation

Facesitting

Fisting

The final three listed fall under acts the BBFC views as potentially "life-endangering".