In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

KnightExemplar

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby KnightExemplar » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:53 pm UTC

American Pharoah won the Triple Crown. First time a horse has done that in 37 years. American Pharoah is the twelfth horse in the Triple Crown's nearly hundred year history.

In case anyone follows horse racing, I figure it was worth reporting.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:46 pm UTC

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/louisia ... -for-mercy

Elected officials in Louisiana try, and fail, to convince private citizen with no official capacity (or residence) in Louisiana to give them permission to raise taxes to deal with their budget problems.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

sardia

Postby sardia » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:03 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/louisiana-gop-begs-grover-for-mercy

Elected officials in Louisiana try, and fail, to convince private citizen with no official capacity (or residence) in Louisiana to give them permission to raise taxes to deal with their budget problems.

You do realize that that description applies to any lobbying group.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:08 pm UTC

Lobbying groups usually influence legislation, but I don't think I know of a situation where elected officials had policy publicly dictated to them by a single individual who has no official power.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:37 pm UTC

Grover Norquist is the founder and president for Americans for Tax Reform. I think that the reason that we put him on par with, say, the entire NRA is that his name is more memorable than his organization's.

And he doesn't run the government. If he did, Ronald Reagan would be on the $10 bill. He just holds (Republican) politicians to the pledge they voluntarily took to never raise taxes to balance a budget. Those legislators can tear up or temporarily ignore the pledge anytime they want. If their reasoning is good enough for their constituents, they'll win the inevitable primary challenge and be free of the neocon lunacy.

KnightExemplar wrote:American Pharoah won the Triple Crown. First time a horse has done that in 37 years. American Pharoah is the twelfth horse in the Triple Crown's nearly hundred year history.

In case anyone follows horse racing, I figure it was worth reporting.

Just to add a spot of humor, here is why American Pharoah's name is misspelled.

“I guess I could’ve transposed the letters when I entered it. I can’t put blame on anyone, but I think it makes him more unique.”

Certainly wouldn't want him to be less unique.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:09 pm UTC

I am entirely okay with people being held accountable for ill-considered promises.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:31 pm UTC

Tirian wrote:Certainly wouldn't want him to be less unique.

I mean, he's pretty unique... but he could stand to be a little more unique, ya know?

ivnja
The spirit of things can bugger right off.

Postby ivnja » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:32 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Grover says no mercy.png

I'm sure most or all of the politicians involved are worried about a repeat of what happened to George HW Bush - going back on his "Read my lips: no new taxes" campaign pledge certainly did him no favors in the 1992 election. Norquist was involved in Bush's pledge then, too. There's obviously a significant anti-tax sentiment running through the American right or the pledge wouldn't be effective, but Norquist has had huge effect on the Republican party for decades.
Hi you.
she/her

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:40 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:I am entirely okay with people being held accountable for ill-considered promises.

I agree, although I tend to hold people accountable for their ill-considered promises when they make them. Grover Norquist famously said that he wanted government to become so small that it could drown in a bathtub. Why that is considered to be a cause worth following in certain circles has always been beyond me.

Every year, do your part to pass a responsible budget and let the voters decide whether they would prefer someone else to do that next time around. Even more unseemly than cowering in Grover Norquist's shadow is the thought that small state Republican legislators are worried about losing a primary. Makes them seem like they're career politicians instead of citizen-statesmen.

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:

I mean, he's pretty unique... but he could stand to be a little more unique, ya know?

There is such a thing as being too unique.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:48 pm UTC

Tirian wrote:
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:

There is such a thing as being too unique.

Unless you're uniquely unique.

Also, how do you catch an unique rabbit?

Spoiler:
You should know this. If not, just Google it.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:19 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:American Pharoah won the Triple Crown. First time a horse has done that in 37 years.

What won the other years? Ponies, camels?

WibblyWobbly
Can't Get No

Postby WibblyWobbly » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:24 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:
KnightExemplar wrote:American Pharoah won the Triple Crown. First time a horse has done that in 37 years.

Llamas. Crafty llamas.

ivnja
The spirit of things can bugger right off.

Postby ivnja » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:25 pm UTC

The Triple Crown is when a single horse wins all three of the major US horse races: the Kentucky Derby, the Preakness, and the Belmont Stakes (I think the UK may also have its own triple crown). So in the 36 years in between, there wasn't a single winner of all three races, and thus no Triple Crown awarded.
Hi you.
she/her

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:38 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:

As stated by ivnja, the "Triple Crown" is winning a series of races. There have of course been winners of the Kentucky Derby... there have been winners of the Preakness, and there have been winners of the Belmont Stakes.

But a single horse winning the whole series of races is quite uncommon. It is a crowning moment of achievement for American Pharoah, its trainers and the jockey.

People have begun to compare American Pharoah to Secretariat (for obvious reasons). Unfortunately, it isn't even close. Secretariat would have won against American Pharoah in all three of the races. Secretariat is still a legendary horse that has yet to be matched. Even Sham (the horse Secretariat beat in the three races) seems like it is faster than American Pharoah. Its like they say: Sham would have been a Triple Crown winner if it weren't for Secretariat.

Tirian wrote:
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:

There is such a thing as being too unique uniqeu.

FTFY.
Last edited by KnightExemplar on Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:48 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:46 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:

Glad I'm not the only one that thought of that.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:50 pm UTC

Tirian wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:I am entirely okay with people being held accountable for ill-considered promises.

I agree, although I tend to hold people accountable for their ill-considered promises when they make them. Grover Norquist famously said that he wanted government to become so small that it could drown in a bathtub. Why that is considered to be a cause worth following in certain circles has always been beyond me.

If its small and it works, great, I'm all for it. But of course, it's easy to promise the world, and backtrack later once you've got the job. Yes, of course they are so great that they can fit ten pounds in a five pound sack.

I suspect these folks need to be the examples of over-promising and failure that others should learn from.

sardia

Postby sardia » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:56 am UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:
Tirian wrote:

If its small and it works, great, I'm all for it. But of course, it's easy to promise the world, and backtrack later once you've got the job. Yes, of course they are so great that they can fit ten pounds in a five pound sack.

I suspect these folks need to be the examples of over-promising and failure that others should learn from.

That depends on what they were overpromising. That tax cuts solve everything? At it's core, it's still the problem that people like, no demand services, but hate paying for them. There's ways around them, but it involves restructuring our revenue base. There's just no easy way around it (unless the legislatures get wise and drop tax cuts as a promise). Once you realize that you can raise taxes at will, the math gets easier, and you can focus on who gets what (and who gets shafted).

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:10 am UTC

Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:43 pm UTC

For the MTG players out there...

Player is going Red/White burst in Modern Masters 2 Draft. 2nd pack is a Tarmogoyf. Player "money-drafts" the card, and later sells it for $14,900 USD.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2015/06/how-a- ... 1417712401

The drama is, Tarmogoyf is green and therefore doesn't fit his current strategy. There were better cards in his draft picks, but instead of playing "his best", he decided to go for the money card instead. In pro-gaming circles, you're supposed to play your best for the love of the game itself. So he did the MTG equivalent of 'selling out for money' (which made his own deck weaker).

But congrats on his Tarmogoyf pick, and congrats on him for managing to sell it for $14,900. A Foil Tarmogoyf is "only" worth $400 or $500 or so, but all the drama has made this particular card a hot item on Ebay. A few years from now, when all the drama is forgotten... the card won't be worth $14,900 for sure. It's still got an official stamp on it (proving that it is a tournament-card), but I can't imagine that it really should cost that much.

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:08 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:In pro-gaming circles, you're supposed to play your best for the love of the game itself. So he did the MTG equivalent of 'selling out for money' (which made his own deck weaker).

I blame Wizards of the Coast for not making their tournament prizes high enough for their professional players to want to play to win. (Also, half the money from the sale is evidently going to charity, so this is a relatively noble sell-out.)

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:17 pm UTC

Pretty funny that the card he passed up for the Tarmogoyf ended up in the deck that beat him in the semi-finals.

That said he sold the goyf for more than 3 times the top prize for the event. Even at just normal market value, I think the goyf has more expected value than a single card in a 40 card deck, when looking at the impact towards getting him the final prize.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:26 pm UTC

Chen wrote:Pretty funny that the card he passed up for the Tarmogoyf ended up in the deck that beat him in the semi-finals.

Not really "funny", but expected. All cards you pass up will be used against you by your opponents in the draft.

Tarmogoyf isn't a very good card in draft. Its an absolutely monstrous 2nd turn card in constructed, but without a careful balance of cards (ie: Sac-lands, Instants, Sorceries, Artifacts...) it doesn't actually pack a very strong punch in draft. Its not like you can Turn1 Sacland + Spellbomb / Turn2 `goyf / Turn 3 sac spell-bomb / lightning bolt / grapeshot swing with a 5/6 to the face during a draft. (Cards in graveyard: Sacland, Spellbomb (Artifact), Lightning Bolt (instant), Grapeshot (Sorcery), Opponent's creature (Creature))

So picking the `goyf was entirely a money play. I can't really blame a guy for picking out a $400 or $500 card though.

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:39 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:Not really "funny", but expected. All cards you pass up will be used against you by your opponents in the draft.

Tarmogoyf isn't a very good card in draft. Its an absolutely monstrous 2nd turn card in constructed, but without a careful balance of cards (ie: Sac-lands, Instants, Sorceries, Artifacts...) it doesn't actually pack a very strong punch in draft. (Its not like you can Turn1 Sacland + Spellbomb / Turn2 `goyf / Turn 3 sac spell-bomb / lightning bolt / grapeshot swing with a 5/6 to the face during a draft)

So picking the `goyf was entirely a money play. I can't really blame a guy for picking out a $400 or $500 card though.

Well its not necessarily expected to be in the deck that knocks you out of the tournament. And yeah its not even a good hate draft in that type of format. The fact its worth 1/10th of the first prize is kinda nutty in and of itself.

addams

Postby addams » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:00 pm UTC

That's funny.
I'm glad it doesn't happen to me.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:02 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:For the MTG players out there...

Player is going Red/White burst in Modern Masters 2 Draft. 2nd pack is a Tarmogoyf. Player "money-drafts" the card, and later sells it for $14,900 USD.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2015/06/how-a- ... 1417712401

The drama is, Tarmogoyf is green and therefore doesn't fit his current strategy. There were better cards in his draft picks, but instead of playing "his best", he decided to go for the money card instead. In pro-gaming circles, you're supposed to play your best for the love of the game itself. So he did the MTG equivalent of 'selling out for money' (which made his own deck weaker).

But congrats on his Tarmogoyf pick, and congrats on him for managing to sell it for $14,900. A Foil Tarmogoyf is "only" worth $400 or $500 or so, but all the drama has made this particular card a hot item on Ebay. A few years from now, when all the drama is forgotten... the card won't be worth $14,900 for sure. It's still got an official stamp on it (proving that it is a tournament-card), but I can't imagine that it really should cost that much.

I still don't get why this is drama. Expected value-wise, he absolutely made the right choice. One bad pick doesn't kill your odds of winning, mind you. It affects it a bit, sure, and pick one pack two is a little late to be splashing...but it's not at all unheard of. Even from a purely mechnical perspective, it's not a stupid play, and evaluated from a financial perspective(which I assure you, is utterly normal when playing at the professional level), it's certainly the right call.

I would have done exactly the same thing, and I've seen this exact scenario play out many, many times. It's pretty routine, actually. In many events, it's even normal(albeit not at GPTs) to drop if you crack a sufficiently valuable pack(for instance, goyf/foil goyf), keeping your packs instead of passing of valuable card. It results in you dropping from the event and no prizes, but if the payout is high enough, that's considered normal.

Grop

Postby Grop » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:24 pm UTC

addams wrote:

That's funny.
I'm glad it doesn't happen to me.

If that happened to me, I would expect it was a prank by some friends. But then I have no garden.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:26 pm UTC

Wait. Who's to say the gnomes didn't place themselves there?

Grop

Postby Grop » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:42 pm UTC

Not news but vaguely related stuff : Garden gnome liberationists.

addams

Postby addams » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:48 am UTC

Grop wrote:Not news but vaguely related stuff : Garden gnome liberationists.

Now, I want one...or two.
According to folklore, garden gnomes were willing to help in the garden at night. When no one is around, the folklore suggests the garden gnomes awaken from their ceramic state and work on the gardens and lawns in which they reside. In these stories they are said to touch plant life with their magic, causing flowers to bloom, leaves to change color, and streams to saturate the soil surrounding the plants.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:36 am UTC

The people have spoken.

US journalist Mark Dice has asked the people of San Diego to sign President Barack Obama’s “plan” to nuke Russia to “maintain America’s superiority.” The majority of beachgoers didn’t appear to get the joke, and signed the fake petition.

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:06 am UTC

Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:The people have spoken.

US journalist Mark Dice has asked the people of San Diego to sign President Barack Obama’s “plan” to nuke Russia to “maintain America’s superiority.” The majority of beachgoers didn’t appear to get the joke, and signed the fake petition.

I wonder how much footage was left on the cutting room floor in order to make this video.

Jose
(98% of selected responders agree with me)
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

addams

Postby addams » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:40 am UTC

I suppose it's funny.
It makes me feel a little ill.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:50 am UTC

ucim wrote:

I wonder how much footage was left on the cutting room floor in order to make this video.

And how many people were just in the state of "yes, random person approaching me in this public setting, I will sign this thing you're pushing at me if it'll make you go away".
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:43 am UTC

DaBigCheez wrote:
ucim wrote:

And how many people were just in the state of "yes, random person approaching me in this public setting, I will sign this thing you're pushing at me if it'll make you go away".

Also, just because someone signed doesn't mean they didn't recognize the petition as fake.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:20 am UTC

One should be very careful to sign off on such documents. Suppose the nuclear strike goes through, WW3 starts, there is huge carnage, and the survivors are pissed off. Our best experts estimate that these survivors will resemble Mad Max, Judge Dredd or Kevin Costner with gills.

These people will presumably look for the responsible parties of the war. At that point, you can't say 'I thought I was signing a fake petition' or 'I signed so they would leave me alone and I could spend a quiet day on the beach'

Or technically, you can say it but I doubt it will make much of an impression.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:01 pm UTC

i doubt many people believe that a petition has much relevance to nuclear first strikes, but yes reason won't save you when the post-apocalyptic badasses come for you!

Grop

Postby Grop » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:43 pm UTC

elasto

Postby elasto » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:02 pm UTC

Holy crap - Dennis Hope has made more than $10 million selling land on the moon and other bodies!

/boggle

Return to “News & Articles”