In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

CorruptUser

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:45 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:Florida never ceases to have interesting news items.

Somewhat related: I've been under the assumption that the brain is better with penetrating wounds, like a spear, than being slashed or cut. Not sure where I got that from, probably one of those stories about people with pipes lodged in their cranium.

With penetrating/piercing wounds, when the object is still lodged in there the damage is already done. Removing the object can restart the bleeding or risk tearing up the damaged area. The main issue with wounds in the brain is that the blood has nowhere to go. With objects lodged in the brain, there is less bleeding than with a cut. Still wouldn't want a stab to the brain.

buddy431

Postby buddy431 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:23 pm UTC

Gellert1984 wrote:Also, bomb president CIA al qaeda JFK twin towers jupiter moon martians [s]emtex.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:48 am UTC

You need to flog that dolphin until the squid gets off. Also, naughty tentacles.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:17 am UTC

NASA gets two better than Hubble telescopes from the CIA. Apparently these pristine instruments were just lying around in a warehouse somewhere, unused, or something. They aren't complete--they still need some instrumentation, but it's still pretty remarkable.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:29 am UTC

Technically they got them from the NRO, which, IIRC, is under the DOD. At first, it sounds great since these could replace the cancelled WFIRST project. Unfortunately, NASA doesn't have the budget to launch them until at least FY 2024 because our reps are cutting the funding and the POTUS isn't able to make ground. GG congress.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:31 am UTC

Very strange news. That really sounds like the US military saying "Oh, those, yeah, older models. We got two dozen better ones up in space". Makes you wonder what toys the US military has.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:46 am UTC

The best toys.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:12 am UTC

The optics of the Hubble itself also came from the NRO, or at least the manufacturing knowledge and facility. So in the 1980s Hubble was probably already somewhat old-fashioned by military standards, since they wouldn't have exposed their best systems to the public.

It's hardly surprising, if you think about it. According to wiki:
BudgetNRO derives its funding both from the US intelligence budget and the military budget. In 1971, the annual budget was estimated to be around $1 billion (inflation adjusted US$ 5.7 billion in 2012).[9] By 1994, the annual budget had risen to $6 billion (inflation adjusted US$ 9.4 billion in 2012),[29] and for 2010 it is estimated to amount to $15 billion (inflation adjusted US$ 16 billion in 2012).[27] This would correspond to 19% of the overall US intelligence budget of $80 billion for FY2010.[30] For Fiscal Year 2012 the budget request for science and technology includes an increase to almost 6% of the NRO budget after it had dropped to just about 3% of the overall budget in recent years.[27]

So that's one to several Hubbles worth of funding each year for the last 50 years or so. They existed before 1971 in secret, presumably with ample funding already. That was Gary Powers time, images of the Soviet Union were a national priority of the very first order.

It would be rather embarassing if that didn't give them far superior results.

EDIT: Wiki even has a list of NRO launches in the last decades here. Based on that, "we have several dozen better ones up in space" sounds like an accurate description of the situation. Not all of them are optical imaging satellites though.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:12 am UTC

Or in other words, our defense budget is hilariously inflated.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:31 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:So that's one to several Hubbles worth of funding each year for the last 50 years or so. They existed before 1971 in secret, presumably with ample funding already. That was Gary Powers time, images of the Soviet Union were a national priority of the very first order.

It would be rather embarassing if that didn't give them far superior results.

EDIT: Wiki even has a list of NRO launches in the last decades here. Based on that, "we have several dozen better ones up in space" sounds like an accurate description of the situation. Not all of them are optical imaging satellites though.

All true. But it's a sad truth. The Hubble has done so many amazing things for humanity. Just imagine what we could do with a dozen better space telescopes.

If we poured the total world wide defence spending into science for just a few years, we'd be able to nail fusion, build a permanent Moon base, explore Mars, maybe even finally develop Quantum Gravity.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:46 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:[
All true. But it's a sad truth. The Hubble has done so many amazing things for humanity. Just imagine what we could do with a dozen better space telescopes.

My guess is we aren't currently pointing them away from earth.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Zamfir

Postby Zamfir » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:02 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:If we poured the total world wide defence spending into science for just a few years, we'd be able to nail fusion, build a permanent Moon base, explore Mars, maybe even finally develop Quantum Gravity.

Or not. After all, all that military funding is not generating miracles either. There are no military fusion reactors, or military moon bases. It's mostly pushing a little further into the zone of diminishing returns, so you get the same advances a few years earlier then a more nautral pace.

If you were to slush all that money into other projects, odds are that you would run into sharply diminishing returns as well. The mythical man-month, times a million.

And there's another thing: suppose Hubble had been significantly better. Some of the current astronomical questions would probably have been answered, and some new questions raised. People would still want an even better telescope to answer the new questions, and they would have been exactly as happy/unhappy as they are now.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:11 pm UTC

Well to offer a counter-point, the military needs things that have a good chance of working in a war situation (so less experimental), and duplication of things that wouldn't be needed for just science.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:31 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:
And there's another thing: suppose Hubble had been significantly better. Some of the current astronomical questions would probably have been answered, and some new questions raised. People would still want an even better telescope to answer the new questions, and they would have been exactly as happy/unhappy as they are now.

This is kind of irrelevant though. All scientific progress raises more questions. The point is to have accumulated more data, to have more answers regardless of how many questions it raises.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:25 pm UTC

For what it is worth, I've seen and had access to satellite images from the NIA from the early 1980s/late 1970s that you can count the golf balls in the Moscow golf course - and these were degraded images.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Zamfir

Postby Zamfir » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:33 pm UTC

Dauric wrote:
Zamfir wrote:

This is kind of irrelevant though. All scientific progress raises more questions. The point is to have accumulated more data, to have more answers regardless of how many questions it raises.
Too a large degree, the social function of astronomers is to produce entertaining knowledge for people who like that kind of stuff. So the optimal rate of discoveries should be high enough that there's a flow of New and Exciting stuff. But faster doesn't add much . The people who care are already happy but want more. No matter how much discoveries you make, they will stay happy but wanting more.

It's like sports. You want to watch top matches played by people who try their best. But raising the absolute level of play doesn't add much entertainment. Increases in quality are a side effect from the desire to see the best athletes try their best.

In similar way, it 's pleasant to hear that people solved some of the riddles of the universe. And it s no fun if they solve the same riddles over and over again, we want to experience progress. But to a large extent, the feeling of ongoing progress is the real benefit.

sigsfried

Postby sigsfried » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:38 pm UTC

So is that all you think science is, a way of finding out weird stuff to keep people entertained?

wahtermelon

Little Johnny No-Plates

Postby wahtermelon » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:10 pm UTC

This article reminded me of the Little Johnny Tables strip so much I had to create an account to share it here.

Basically a guy choose "NO PLATE" as his vanity plate and ended up receiving thousands of tickets due to the DMV system matching him to citations where cars were actually missing plates. Sounds like... opportunity? :twisted:

http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/noplate.asp

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:15 pm UTC

Chen wrote:
Zamfir wrote:The photos make it pretty clear that they had no interest in telling the story, or anything like it. They just made signs saying "religion is a myth", and pictures of santa claus and devils.

There's that and the fact that the nativity story is pretty intrinsically linked to religion. Its not like it was a general Holiday display or anything. I mean I can see not having a public entity creating an religious display, but in practice would it be different the church simply asked the city government if they could put up nativity scenes to celebrate the holiday? One that a good portion of the city likely celebrates for the same religious reason?

Yeah. My impression would be treat Christmas/nativities like any other event. So if you have a BBQ cookoff, people are welcome to put up signs, or whatever. If there is limited space, the city can limit the number and location. Having a bunch of people trolling with 'BBQ sucks' signs isn't useful at all. The city isn't putting up the nativities, just providing a space for a particular event.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:00 pm UTC

Rodion Raskolnikov
Alyona Ivanovna knows what you did last summer

Postby Rodion Raskolnikov » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:29 pm UTC

Yo Rodja's kind of a dick, those are the facts / He murdered a pawnbroker with an axe
Now Dosoyevsky is here to teach you / About his problems with the philosophy of Nietzsche

~ ahammel

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:34 pm UTC

*facepalm*
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

yurell

Postby yurell » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:57 pm UTC

*Headdesk* I really wish legal action could be taken for that.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:12 am UTC

LOL. I don't see the harm in this, really. Given a few years, I expect most of those students to discover that the Loch Ness Monster is indeed a myth/hoax and that realization will significantly damage their confidence in the theological nonsense they were taught, thus ultimately having the opposite effect intended.

That's assuming most students don't already know the Loch Ness Monster isn't real and don't immediately go to the "what is this bullshit" stage.

yurell

Postby yurell » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:16 am UTC

Blatant lies in science textbooks that aren't made for purposes of simplification (e.g. Lewis Dot Structure of an atom) annoy the shit out of me. It's false advertising at it's worst; you're expecting science like it claims but instead get a book full of propaganda. Even worse, you're paying the school for a science class, and get religious indoctrination instead.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:23 am UTC

Solution: spread around literature pointing out how Nessie is obviously a demon and all those who have seen her/ think she is real but harmless have strayed from the light and need praying for.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby ShootTheChicken » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:20 am UTC

yurell wrote:you're paying the school for a science class, and get religious indoctrination instead.

The horrible excuses for parents that send their children to religious schools like this are not paying for a science class.
SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:11 am UTC

ShootTheChicken wrote:The horrible excuses for parents that send their children to religious schools

Not all religious people hate science with a passion. I could point out quite a few ultra-devout Christians that have made great contributions to science (Mendel and Newton). I could also point to many religious parents who do right by their children. Merely enrolling your child in a religious school is not child abuse.

Some people think competitive sports are bad, because they promote quasi-fascism, have a risk of injury, and a whole slew of other problems. Would those people be right in calling you a horrible excuse for a parent for letting your child play soccer?

That said, teaching non-science and claiming it's science should be considered fraud.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:50 am UTC

Ehhhh. Mendel and Newton were in a completely different social and religious atmosphere than many modern American Christianity. I guess I'm just kind of weary of the traditional, "Not all Christians are like this therefore no fault is present."

That said, wanting your children to reject verifiable science is not, by itself, horrible parenting.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:10 am UTC

Jesuits are pretty cool, as far as Christian schools go, in that they encourage scientific thought and questioning. But most religious schools in the US are Catholic, so... not so much.

lutzj

Postby lutzj » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:29 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:Jesuits are pretty cool, as far as Christian schools go, in that they encourage scientific thought and questioning. But most religious schools in the US are Catholic, so... not so much.

A major proportion of the Catholic schools in the US are Jesuit, including many of the most prestigious ones (Boston College, Georgetown, Gonzaga, Xavier, etc.).

ninja edit: this is less pronounced at the university level
addams wrote:I'm not a bot.
That is what a bot would type.

Darryl

Postby Darryl » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:52 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:Jesuits are pretty cool, as far as Christian schools go, in that they encourage scientific thought and questioning. But most religious schools in the US are Catholic, so... not so much.

Umm... Jesuits ARE Catholic. That's like saying "Squares are pretty cool, as far as quadrilaterals go, but rectangles, not so much." Because Jesuits are, quite literally, a subclass of Catholicism.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:14 am UTC

I was referring to non-Jesuit Catholic schools, and also cannot English very well.

Ghostbear

Postby Ghostbear » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:03 am UTC

I'm not exactly sure how this shit is legal. On the other hand: it's Louisiana, so I'm not that surprised.

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:14 pm UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:Ehhhh. Mendel and Newton were in a completely different social and religious atmosphere than many modern American Christianity. I guess I'm just kind of weary of the traditional, "Not all Christians are like this therefore no fault is present."

That said, wanting your children to reject verifiable science is not, by itself, horrible parenting.

Yeah, but there are a lot of denominations that actively accept evolution. For example, from the United Methodist's website:
The official statement on Science and Technology says in part, "We find that science’s descriptions of cosmological, geological, and biological evolution are not in conflict with theology."

The Church also opposes introducing theories such as Creationism or Intelligent Design into public school curriculum.

Granted, Methodists tend to be a bit more liberal than some when it comes to science.
Heck, one person I knew at my church growing up (awesome guy by the way) was a paleontologist! He doesn't go on digs anymore (funding's rough and he has two relatively small children) but he works at the local science center as some sort of director. He also did some interesting talks about science and religion and at vacation bible school there was sometimes a science segment - although always used for some sort of metaphore for 'god's love' or something similar, but the science was real. While I'm more or less agnostic at this point, he's still pretty dang cool.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:33 pm UTC

From a UK perspective, the idea of a Christian rejecting Evolution is pretty damn weird. It happens, but it's not the norm.

ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby ShootTheChicken » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:05 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:
ShootTheChicken wrote:The horrible excuses for parents that send their children to religious schools

Not all religious people hate science with a passion. I could point out quite a few ultra-devout Christians that have made great contributions to science (Mendel and Newton). I could also point to many religious parents who do right by their children. Merely enrolling your child in a religious school is not child abuse.

Some people think competitive sports are bad, because they promote quasi-fascism, have a risk of injury, and a whole slew of other problems. Would those people be right in calling you a horrible excuse for a parent for letting your child play soccer?

That said, teaching non-science and claiming it's science should be considered fraud.

I've mulled it over for a bit and I think I stand by what I said. First I'd like to point out that you cut my quote off two words short: I said 'religious schools like this', as in schools that go for that awesome fundamentalist approach. Also, pointing out scientists who also happen to be christian is not a refutation of my point in any way. Re: child abuse, I think that one day, probably quite soon, we will look back at the wilful miseducation of children as child abuse.

Re: soccer, that's a pretty obtuse comparison which doesn't deserve a response.

So yeah, I re-assert that parents who want this for their children are shitty parents.

omgryebread

Postby omgryebread » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:16 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:I was referring to non-Jesuit Catholic schools, and also cannot English very well.
You're also just kinda making shit up. Catholic schools, no matter the order behind them, are supposed to teach evolution, at least in the US. In fact, several bishops have called for more strenuous teaching of evolution to correct anti-evolution views among Catholics. I'm willing to bet my science classes in high school were at least the equal of any public school districts in the country.

In general, religion stayed in the religion class and in school events. Exceptions were mostly off topic discussion.
Last edited by omgryebread on Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
avatar from Nononono by Lynn Okamoto.

The Great Hippo
Swans ARE SHARP

Postby The Great Hippo » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:18 pm UTC

ShootTheChicken wrote:So yeah, I re-assert that parents who want this for their children are shitty parents.
I don't think that's entirely fair. I can think of at least one pair of parents who are absolutely fantastic at their job--providing a wealth of emotional (and financial!) support for their children--doing everything in their power to ensure that their children succeed and prosper, and become more responsible, well-rounded adults in the process. They just happen to also be fundamentalist Christians who gave their children a religious education rather than a secular one.

I think it's totally fair to call that specific decision a 'shitty parenting move', but I don't think it's fair to pass judgment on the totality of their parenting because of one very glaring mistake on their record (even if that mistake is one they've yet to realize was a mistake). People are complex--they deserve better than to be dismissed based on a decision like this.

But I agree with the spirit of what you're saying (i.e., this is definitely a shitty thing to do to your children, and I wish people wouldn't do it), just not the label. And that's just because I've met and interacted with parents who did this to their children, but were otherwise exceptionally good at their job.

(I also am not comfortable describing it as child abuse, largely because the children and adults who have gone through it probably wouldn't describe it as such, and I think that their input is the critical information we need to make that decision)

ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby ShootTheChicken » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:28 pm UTC

The Great Hippo wrote:
ShootTheChicken wrote:So yeah, I re-assert that parents who want this for their children are shitty parents.

I think it's totally fair to call that specific decision a 'shitty parenting move', but I don't think it's fair to pass judgment on the totality of their parenting because of one very glaring mistake on their record (even if that mistake is one they've yet to realize was a mistake). People are complex--they deserve better than to be dismissed based on a decision like this.

I agree with this, that was a huge oversight in the wording of my previous posts.

I'll have to ponder the child abuse part some more as that phrase probably shouldn't be brandished so flippantly.

Return to “News & Articles”