In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
The Great Hippo
Swans ARE SHARP
Posts: 7368
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:43 am UTC
Location: behind you

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby The Great Hippo » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:32 pm UTC

ShootTheChicken wrote:I'll have to ponder the child abuse part some more as that phrase probably shouldn't be brandished so flippantly.
I think it's fine to brandish it so long as the people who you're claiming have been abused agree that they have been abused. That's always been the clincher for me; I'm comfortable administering labels when the people receiving them are okay with it. If we can imagine someone going through a situation like this and stating that they were abused, then it's probably okay. If we can't imagine it--then we might want to stop and think about it a little more.

I know people who have gone through this, and (as far as I'm aware--I've never actually asked) none of them would describe the situation as abusive, merely... very, very unfortunate, and more than a little frustrating. Hence my hesitation to apply the term. But there might be people who experienced it and parsed it as abuse (though I would expect it wouldn't just be the religious education--rather, I would expect the people who parse it as abuse have experienced a lot more than just the education, and they parse it as abuse because it's just one more block in an immense wall that represents an ongoing, lifetime assault on their identity and emotional well-being).

Arrian
Posts: 464
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 10:15 am UTC
Location: Minnesota

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Arrian » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:13 pm UTC

I wondered how the Loch Ness Monster would disprove darwinian evolution:

The Article wrote:He added: “The reason for that is they’re saying if Noah’s flood only happened 4,000 years ago, which they believe literally happened, then possibly a sea monster survived.

“If it was millions of years ago then that would be ridiculous. That’s their logic. It’s a common thing among creationists to believe in sea monsters.”


So, while this doesn't say anything about evolution through natural selection, I can sort of follow the logic that if there wasn't enough time for evolution to take us from dinosaurs to people, the current evolutionary narrative would fall apart. (Along with most of paleontology and probably a bunch of geology.) But, wait a second here, "if Noah’s flood only happened 4,000 years ago, ... then possibly a sea monster survived." Did they really think this one through? Wouldn't a flood be a heyday for sea monsters, not an extinction event?

User avatar
Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.
Posts: 7604
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:43 pm UTC
Location: Nederland

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Zamfir » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:33 pm UTC

Depends whether it's a salt water monster, and whether the flood itself was saltwater.

User avatar
LaserGuy
Posts: 4585
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:43 pm UTC

Arrian wrote:I wondered how the Loch Ness Monster would disprove darwinian evolution:

The Article wrote:He added: “The reason for that is they’re saying if Noah’s flood only happened 4,000 years ago, which they believe literally happened, then possibly a sea monster survived.

“If it was millions of years ago then that would be ridiculous. That’s their logic. It’s a common thing among creationists to believe in sea monsters.”


So, while this doesn't say anything about evolution through natural selection, I can sort of follow the logic that if there wasn't enough time for evolution to take us from dinosaurs to people, the current evolutionary narrative would fall apart. (Along with most of paleontology and probably a bunch of geology.) But, wait a second here, "if Noah’s flood only happened 4,000 years ago, ... then possibly a sea monster survived." Did they really think this one through? Wouldn't a flood be a heyday for sea monsters, not an extinction event?


I suppose it would be okay, since Loch Ness is a freshwater area. It depends a lot on how you think the temperature and salinity of the waters will be in the case of a global flood. I think the estimate is that, according to the narrative, the volume of water would greatly exceed that of the oceans, so the overall effect would be a single, considerably less salty ocean (which would probably kill most saltwater life). I'm not sure how much extra saltwater would get added from landforms though. Of course, plesiosaurs, based on known fossil distributions, are probably saltwater creatures that inhabit the tropics, so...

Anyway, evolution doesn't say that there can't be any dinosaurs at the same time as people, in principle. I mean, crocodiles date to the dinosaur era as well, yet here they are (RIGHT BEHIND YOU!), and if you put a Cretaceous era crocodile next to a modern one, you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference unless you have studied herpetology.

Darryl
Posts: 327
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:32 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Darryl » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:48 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:I was referring to non-Jesuit Catholic schools, and also cannot English very well.

Even so, in the US, it's not Catholicism that leads the anti-evolution brigade. It's primarily the hardline Protestant sects.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

webzter_again
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 4:37 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby webzter_again » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:49 pm UTC

Arrian wrote:So, while this doesn't say anything about evolution through natural selection, I can sort of follow the logic that if there wasn't enough time for evolution to take us from dinosaurs to people, the current evolutionary narrative would fall apart. (Along with most of paleontology and probably a bunch of geology.) But, wait a second here, "if Noah’s flood only happened 4,000 years ago, ... then possibly a sea monster survived." Did they really think this one through? Wouldn't a flood be a heyday for sea monsters, not an extinction event?


The whole fish/aquatic life part of the flood narrative is pretty sketchy. It seems fairly explicit in the NIV translation that the flood is constrained to just killing everything on the ground. But then it talks about every creature that has the breath of life in it being destroyed. I'm not sure where this leaves marine mammals.

And then we come to the actual flood. All of the springs burst forth and it rained, a lot. It seems that salinity across fresh and salt water is going to change rapidly. Since water covered all of the earth, we can only conclude, based on the story, that fresh and salt water mixed everywhere. I guess one should wonder how any aquatic life survived at all. There's not mention, in the NIV translation, of God providing a divine protection to them as well. Genesis 6:19 says two of all living creatures but Genesis 6:7 and 6:20 seem to limit that commandment to land-based creatures.

So, the broader question is why we have any surviving aquatic life. And, beyond that, why we only have one unconfirmed sea monster when we would expect them to be at least as plentiful as the larger whale species.
Spoiler:
Genesis 6 wrote:5 The Lord saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time. 6 The Lord regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled. 7 So the Lord said, “I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created—and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground—for I regret that I have made them. ” 8 But Noah found favor in the eyes of the Lord.


Genesis 6 wrote:17 I am going to bring floodwaters on the earth to destroy all life under the heavens, every creature that has the breath of life in it. Everything on earth will perish. 18 But I will establish my covenant with you, and you will enter the ark —you and your sons and your wife and your sons’ wives with you. 19 You are to bring into the ark two of all living creatures, male and female, to keep them alive with you. 20 Two of every kind of bird, of every kind of animal and of every kind of creature that moves along the ground will come to you to be kept alive.


[quote=Genesis 7"]11 In the six hundredth year of Noah’s life, on the seventeenth day of the second month —on that day all the springs of the great deep burst forth, and the floodgates of the heavens were opened. 12 And rain fell on the earth forty days and forty nights.[/quote]

User avatar
Virtual_Aardvark
Posts: 882
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:27 pm UTC
Location: The Final Frontier
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:58 pm UTC

omgryebread wrote:
Magnanimous wrote:I was referring to non-Jesuit Catholic schools, and also cannot English very well.
You're also just kinda making shit up. Catholic schools, no matter the order behind them, are supposed to teach evolution, at least in the US. In fact, several bishops have called for more strenuous teaching of evolution to correct anti-evolution views among Catholics. I'm willing to bet my science classes in high school were at least the equal of any public school districts in the country.


Ponies.

I went to three different highschools. One private, and two public. My friends in Catholic schools were not only given better science (and sex!) educations but were encouraged to pursue science degrees after HS. Beyond all ideology, Catholic schools have the best funding and are far more likely to have better classes.

This Nessie thing though is happening at a school on the voucher system. Some of the kids there may have had to choose between this and a Louisiana public school. Pretty shitty choice there.
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

DSenette
Posts: 2418
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:08 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby DSenette » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:48 pm UTC

omgryebread wrote:
Magnanimous wrote:I was referring to non-Jesuit Catholic schools, and also cannot English very well.
You're also just kinda making shit up. Catholic schools, no matter the order behind them, are supposed to teach evolution, at least in the US. In fact, several bishops have called for more strenuous teaching of evolution to correct anti-evolution views among Catholics. I'm willing to bet my science classes in high school were at least the equal of any public school districts in the country.

In general, religion stayed in the religion class and in school events. Exceptions were mostly off topic discussion.

yeah, also, adding to the fact that the article itself doesn't say SQUAT about the schools in question being catholic schools...which they're not. catholic schools don't follow the ACE program that's pushing this commotion....since they get their doctrinal teaching directives from the vatican, who, while being totally idiotic in their understanding of condoms and AIDS...are pretty well current on evolution. they're specifically talking about christian fundamentalists, which is not a term used to describe catholics.
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

User avatar
Diadem
Posts: 5654
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:03 am UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Diadem » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:59 pm UTC

DSenette wrote:they're specifically talking about christian fundamentalists, which is not a term used to describe catholics.

Actually there's plenty of fundamentalist catholics as well. It's just that these particular fundamentalists weren't.

The whole creationism debate is mainly waged by protestants. Mostly reformed and baptist groups, as far as I know. There are plenty of catholics who are creationists, but it's not in Rome's official teachings. And I have no idea how orthodox groups think about creationism, but you barely have any of those in the US or western Europe anyway.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

User avatar
Iulus Cofield
WINNING
Posts: 2917
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:31 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Iulus Cofield » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:26 pm UTC

Various Popes have been saying that evolution is entirely consistent with church doctrine since Darwin was still alive. There's no way you'd find this kind of ridiculousness in any Catholic school after 1700 AD.

User avatar
Djehutynakht
Posts: 1546
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:37 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:03 am UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:Various Popes have been saying that evolution is entirely consistent with church doctrine since Darwin was still alive. There's no way you'd find this kind of ridiculousness in any Catholic school after 1700 AD.


Mhm...

As far as Roman Catholicism goes, the current stance is that you can either take the story of Genesis as literal or you can interpret it as a metaphor and believe in Evolution.

Noah's Flood, however, so far as I know, is still technically supposed to be Canon doctrine. It's my own personal belief though that if it did happen, it was only over one specific part of the world (the flooding of part of Mesopotamia into the Persian Gulf perhaps?)

I dunno. Someone got flooded. Gilgamesh!
_______________________________________________


In other news, the clock tower which houses the bell named "Big Ben" (also often used to refer to the tower itself or the clock in it) is being renamed "Elizabeth Tower" in honor of Elizabeth II for her diamond jubillee. Appropriate, since the building's other tower is Victoria Tower.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-18592966

User avatar
Adacore
Posts: 2755
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:35 pm UTC
Location: 한국 창원

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Adacore » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:58 am UTC

Yeah, I approve of this renaming. 'Westminster Palace Clock Tower' wasn't exactly a terribly grandiose name for such an iconic structure. If Will and Kate's first child is a daughter, will they build a new tower to name after her in ~100 years time?

yedidyak
Posts: 954
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:24 pm UTC
Location: Israel

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby yedidyak » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:49 am UTC

Iran offering easy money!

“The Islamic Republic of Iran will pay for anybody who can research and find one single Zionist who is an addict,” Mr. Rahmini said. “They do not exist. This is the proof of their involvement in drugs trade.”

User avatar
Adacore
Posts: 2755
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:35 pm UTC
Location: 한국 창원

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Adacore » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:16 am UTC

Hold on, the fact that 'Zionists' don't use drugs is proof that they have drugs? Am I missing something here?

User avatar
folkhero
Posts: 1775
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:34 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby folkhero » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:20 am UTC

I guess the 'logic' is that one of the 'rules' of the drug trade is that you don't dip into the product. So, if the Zionists don't use drugs, the only possible explanation is that they are in the drug trade and following that rule. Why else would someone not be taking drugs all the time? Drugs are amazing, they trigger all these reward centers of the brain, and they make your feel real good, and it's just great... I'm sorry what were we talking about? Oh, yeah, so is Iran's vice president an addict or a drug trafficker? We all know that everyone has to be exactly one of those things otherwise his speech wouldn't make any sense.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

johnny_7713
Posts: 555
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:31 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby johnny_7713 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:50 pm UTC

Adacore wrote:Hold on, the fact that 'Zionists' don't use drugs is proof that they have drugs? Am I missing something here?


Presumably the 'logic' goes as follows: drugs are part of a Zionist plot to take over / control the world. Since Zionists are behind the plot they will make sure never to get a fellow Zionist addicted. Thus the absence of Zionist addicts is proof that Zionists control illegal drugs.

On the plus side, at least they're testing the hypothesis by attempting to falsify it.

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby emceng » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:11 pm UTC

http://www.sfgate.com/technology/articl ... 652999.php

Hmmm. Yes, better access is nice, but this is one of those situations(like the wheelchair pool mandate) that is just going to cause nothing good to happen. Either Netflix is going to lose a shit ton of money, or they're going to severely cut the amount of movies in their library. The deaf association, and the government via this ruling, are pushing for 'if I can't play with the toy, no one can'.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

User avatar
Sizik
Posts: 1260
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:48 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Sizik » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:27 pm UTC

above article wrote:Federal Communication Commission regulations will require captioning on Internet videos of all U.S.-produced, post-1996 programs by March 2014.

Would this apply to youtube videos?
she/they
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:30 pm UTC

emceng wrote:lose a shit ton of money
Citation (to use the trite expression) needed.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby emceng » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:35 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:
emceng wrote:lose a shit ton of money
Citation (to use the trite expression) needed.


Do you think all those videos are going to caption themselves? Netflix already has falling subscription numbers, raising rates to cover the cost will lose them even more.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5941
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Angua » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:38 pm UTC

Most dvds and videos produced for sale are already have a captioning option. It shouldn't be that difficult to get the movies with captioning.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster
Posts: 1366
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:01 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby bentheimmigrant » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:45 pm UTC

I'm sure there's a way for them to nab the subs from an avi site...
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Роберт » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:46 pm UTC

emceng wrote:http://www.sfgate.com/technology/article/Netflix-may-have-to-provide-closed-captions-online-3652999.php

Hmmm. Yes, better access is nice, but this is one of those situations(like the wheelchair pool mandate) that is just going to cause nothing good to happen. Either Netflix is going to lose a shit ton of money, or they're going to severely cut the amount of movies in their library. The deaf association, and the government via this ruling, are pushing for 'if I can't play with the toy, no one can'.

Woohoo! Good to see things moving in the right direction.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

iamspen
Posts: 487
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 2:23 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby iamspen » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:47 pm UTC

The FCC apparently likes getting smacked down in court, as I can't imagine that rule will be upheld, if for no other reason that the absolute impossibility of enforcement.

User avatar
Diadem
Posts: 5654
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:03 am UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Diadem » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:59 pm UTC

Subtitles already exist for almost all tv movies and films. It shouldn't be too hard to implement them in netflix.

Obviously, applying this to youtube would be sheer madness, or all video in general, would be sheer madness. But I don't see why certain classes of videos couldn't be required to offer subtitles. Say all commercially produced videos with a budget of over 1 million.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

User avatar
omgryebread
Posts: 1393
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:03 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby omgryebread » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:22 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:Obviously, applying this to youtube would be sheer madness
Uh. "Sheer madness" might be stretching just a little. Youtube already has auto-captioning on some videos.
avatar from Nononono by Lynn Okamoto.

User avatar
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen
Posts: 5101
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:12 am UTC
Location: C:\Users\Xeio\
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Xeio » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:30 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:Obviously, applying this to youtube would be sheer madness, or all video in general, would be sheer madness.
Depends on what the requirements actually are, is there an accuracy limitation, does it require captions for non-voice sounds? Because for speech google has the auto-captioning, however hilarious the results can be sometimes.

I don't think the requirement is unreasonable unless the movies themselves do not provide said subtitles (does this requirement already exist for movies? What about independent films?). I do think it's unreasonable to require Netflix to actually produce subtitles if they are otherwise unavailable.

User avatar
natraj
Posts: 1895
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:13 pm UTC
Location: away from Omelas

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby natraj » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

emceng wrote:http://www.sfgate.com/technology/article/Netflix-may-have-to-provide-closed-captions-online-3652999.php

Hmmm. Yes, better access is nice, but this is one of those situations(like the wheelchair pool mandate) that is just going to cause nothing good to happen. Either Netflix is going to lose a shit ton of money, or they're going to severely cut the amount of movies in their library. The deaf association, and the government via this ruling, are pushing for 'if I can't play with the toy, no one can'.


wow, yeah, that's exactly what disability rights advocates want when we push for equality for people with disabilities. we're just trying to make sure everyone has a miserable sad joyless existence because we are miserable sad joyless people.

i am pretty psyched about the ruling (as a fun-hating deaf person who wants you all to suffer like i do) although i am skeptical of whether it will ever come into effect. it is not the first ruling of its type although it is the most far-reaching.

and the last time they ruled on this, they applied it only to... any american-produced media produced after 1996 i think? because that was when rules came into effect that everything on tv HAD to be produced with captions, so all the stuff the ruling affected would have already been captioned, by law, when it was made.

if this is similar then i don't see how this is going to bankrupt anyone; as people said, the captions are already out there, they just haven't cared enough about Deaf/HoH people to put it out along with their content.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

Heisenberg
Posts: 3789
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 8:48 pm UTC
Location: Uncertain

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Heisenberg » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:53 pm UTC

natraj wrote:if this is similar then i don't see how this is going to bankrupt anyone; as people said, the captions are already out there, they just haven't cared enough about Deaf/HoH people to put it out along with their content.
Ponsor said that the FCC's timeline "reflects only minimum compliance standards" and that a court could invoke the ADA to order closed captioning at an earlier date on all videos.
Seems like the court could order Netflix to provide captions on all streaming video. In that case, I'd imagine it would be more cost-effective to pull all the Columbo episodes rather than go through and caption them all.

User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30450
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Belial » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:59 pm UTC

natraj wrote: last time they ruled on this, they applied it only to... any american-produced media produced after 1996 i think? because that was when rules came into effect that everything on tv HAD to be produced with captions


Man, I remember television. Before deaf people bankrupted it and it was never seen again.

That happened, right?
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26821
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:01 pm UTC

Heisenberg wrote:I'd imagine it would be more cost-effective to pull all the Columbo episodes rather than go through and caption them all.
Columbo was produced slightly before 1996...
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

morriswalters
Posts: 7073
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:21 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby morriswalters » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:47 pm UTC

Well it looks like Netflix has already complied, at least with Columbo and the oldest western I could find, one from the thirties.

Heisenberg
Posts: 3789
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 8:48 pm UTC
Location: Uncertain

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Heisenberg » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:51 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:I'd imagine it would be more cost-effective to pull all the Columbo episodes rather than go through and caption them all.
Columbo was produced slightly before 1996...

That's what I'm saying. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the quote at the end of the article seems like the judge is saying that Netflix could be ordered to caption all of its video, not just the video that already has captions.

Of course, with DVD releases the older shows probably have captions now, but the fact remains that if Netflix is ordered to only stream video with captions, one option will be to only stream video that's already been captioned.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26821
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:01 pm UTC

Reread with natraj's interpretation. "At an earlier date" is not the same as "from an earlier date", for one thing.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
Ashlah
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:31 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Ashlah » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:06 pm UTC

Keep in mind that adding captions is a one-time expense. If they chose to remove everything they didn't feel like captioning because it would just be too much work/money, they would likely see a decrease in customers who are disappointed by the lack of content. Obviously this depends on the amount of content we're talking about, but I highly doubt they would choose to just get rid of it all instead of captioning it, and I highly doubt it would bankrupt them or increase costs all that much. It really doesn't seem like that much of a hassle in order to make Netflix more accessible. Hell, it's widening their customer base!

User avatar
buddy431
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:21 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby buddy431 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:28 pm UTC

Researchers in Japan have created a Robot that always wins a game of rock-paper-scissors. The video's pretty impressive - the robot looks like it's playing pretty fairly, but still manages to judge its opponents choice fast enough to bring out the winning throw.
Gellert1984 wrote:Also, bomb president CIA al qaeda JFK twin towers jupiter moon martians [s]emtex.

willaaaaaa
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:09 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby willaaaaaa » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:48 pm UTC

Moral for humans: High-speed cheating doesn't count as cheating. ;)

Super cool though!
"If you can't control your peanut butter, you can't expect to control your life." - Bill Watterson

User avatar
Iulus Cofield
WINNING
Posts: 2917
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:31 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Iulus Cofield » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:17 am UTC

From the developers website:

This technology is one example that show a possibility of cooperation control within a few miliseconds. And this technology can be applied to motion support of human beings and cooperation work between human beings and robots etc. without time delay


Can you say, "Remote control of humanoid battle robots"?

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:27 am UTC

Or robotic squad-mates reading your body language to know when to give covering fire or take up new positions.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

User avatar
Iulus Cofield
WINNING
Posts: 2917
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:31 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Iulus Cofield » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:30 am UTC

You want autonomous robots with guns!? I thought Hollywood had firmly disproved the viability of that.


Return to “News & Articles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dauric, Zamfir and 16 guests