Anthony Weiner

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Роберт

Anthony Weiner

Postby Роберт » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:50 pm UTC

News Article. He confessed that he lied about his twitter account being hacked, it really was just him.
Spoiler:
Rep. Anthony Weiner, D-N.Y., held a news conference in New York. He said he lied last week when he claimed that his Twitter account had been hacked by someone who sent photos of a man's crotch to a young woman in Seattle. At the time, he said he could not say "with certitude" whether the photo was of him.

Updated at 4:45 p.m.: When he told his wife, he said she said she was "unhappy," disappointed and said they would "get through this."

Update at 4:42 p.m.: When asked how he thought this may affect him politically, Weiner said of his constituents, "I will work hard to win back their trust and try to persuade them. I have worked very hard for my constituents ... Nothing about this should reflect on my official duties or on my oath of office ... I certainly used bad judgement here."

Updated at 4:38 p.m.: When asked if he had phone sex with any of the six women, Weiner said that he would not answer because he wants to respect the privacy of the women. He said he has never had sex outside of his marriage.

Updated at 4:37 p.m.: He said some of the communication dated back three years and that his wife knew about it before they were married. He said she did not know he lied about sending last week's Twitter photo.

Update at 4:35 p.m.:
"I was embarassed and I didn't want this to lead to other embarassing things. It was a dumb thing to do to tell lies about it because it just led to more lies."

Update at 4:34 p.m.:

"The last thing on this day when I've done this harm to my wife and my family. is thinking of this or next year's election. The first thing I need to do is make sure this never happens again"

"I'm not blaming anyone. This is my own personal mistake. This is a deep weakness I have demonstrated and for this I apologize."

Updated at 4:32 p.m.: When asked if he would apologize to conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart, he said he is "first and foremost" sorry to his wife. He said the two have no plans to divorce. His wife did not appear at the press conference with him.

Updated at 4:31 p.m.: Weiner says that he had inappropriate communication with mostly women he met on Facebook.

Updated at 4:29 p.m.: "I do not have knowledge of every single communication, but I do not believe I used government resources."

Updated at 4:28 p.m.: Weiner says "To be clear, I am deeply regretting what I have done and I am not resigning."

Updated at 4:26 p.m.: Rep. Weiner says he would like to clear up questions and "take full responsibility for his actions." He says he sent the photo last week as a joke and after he sent it on Twitter, he panicked. He also admits to having inappropriate conversations with women online and one the phone and says he did not have any physical relationship with these women.

Updated at 4:13 p.m.: In a strange turn of events, Andrew Brietbart, the conservative blogger who published alleged new photos of Weiner Monday, took to the podium at the Sheraton hotel in New York where reporters have been waiting for Weiner to speak. "I'm here for vindication," Brietbart said, saying he was upset about being "accused of being a hacker against a congressman."

Our original post:

Weiner's appearance comes after more photos of the Democratic congressman surfaced Monday on Big Government, a website affiliated with conservative writer Andrew Brietbart. The website said the photos were provided by a woman who said Weiner sent them to her last month.

Last week, Weiner denied sending a lewd photo of a man's crotch to a young woman in Seattle via Twitter, claiming he was the victim of a prankster. But he declined to confirm or deny whether the photo was of him.

Among the photos posted Monday on Big Government is an image of a bare-chested man, flexing his muscles. He is visible only from the nose down and appears to be in an office, with a series of framed photos behind him. In another photo, Weiner is sitting on a sofa with two cats by his side.

Last year, Weiner, 46, married Huma Abedin, a veteran aide to Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Heh, heh, Weiner.

I wonder if his marriage is threatened by Gay Marriage(tm)? Wait, he's a democrat? That's a surprise.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

podbaydoor

Re: Anthony Weiner

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:52 pm UTC

Sigh. At least he wasn't a family values politician. It sounds like he's owning up to it and not trying to weasel out of it and his subsequent lying.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:53 pm UTC

A better response from him would have been
Lol, yea, that's me. Wanna see it? I think it's pretty awesome.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:00 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:Wait, he's a democrat? That's a surprise.

No see, democrats do lewd acts with a woman and then lie. Republicans get exposed out of the closet seeking lewd acts with men. :P

Garm

Postby Garm » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:04 pm UTC

Wonder what it would have taken for John Ensign to get this level of coverage.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:13 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Sigh. At least he wasn't a family values politician. It sounds like he's owning up to it and not trying to weasel out of it and his subsequent lying.

Yeah, I'm glad he realized that his lying and weaseling wasn't working.
broken_escalator wrote:

No see, democrats do lewd acts with a woman and then lie. Republicans get exposed out of the closet seeking lewd acts with men. :P

Good point. Let me think... Bill Clinton, Mark Foley. Yep.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:16 pm UTC

I feel like he would have been better served by just owning up to it immediately. From a personal point of view, this wouldn't make any difference to me as a voter (not that I would be voting for or against him, anyway), and the "family values" types wouldn't be voting for a Democrat, regardless.

NonSequitur

Postby NonSequitur » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:28 pm UTC

The worst part about this is having to admit that Andrew Breitbart was right all along.
The greatest trick Russell's teapot ever pulled was convincing the world it doesn't exist.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:32 pm UTC

NonSequitur wrote:The worst part about this is having to admit that Andrew Breitbart was right all along.

No we don't. His labeling a bunch of young women as sluts for political gain and then trying to drag them through the mud was never right. We just have one more misogynist to add to the story now.

Besides, Weiner never did deny that it was his prick.

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:32 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:
podbaydoor wrote:Sigh. At least he wasn't a family values politician. It sounds like he's owning up to it and not trying to weasel out of it and his subsequent lying.

broken_escalator wrote:

Don't forget Eliot Spitzer. There are also Demcrats who do not-lewd acts with women who happen to be not their wives (John Edwards, Gary Hart, John Kennedy?).

But I think the most relevant data point is the most related and the most recent, which is Chris Lee, a representative from the other end of New York State who sent a shirtless photo to a woman he had met on Craigslist, and resigned the day he got called out over it. I like Anthony Weiner just fine, but I think he's going to have to fall on his sword over this and he'd be better off acting like it was his idea.

thc

Postby thc » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:36 pm UTC

He has a nice bod. I'd want to show it off too, if I were him!

jakovasaur

Postby jakovasaur » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:37 pm UTC

So he's saying the boner picture he sent to that girl was solicited? Because she said it was not.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:40 pm UTC

Was this in time to make the daily show today? I hope it was, they've been playing this out a week already. MUST SEE CONCLUSION. :P

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:43 pm UTC

Tirian wrote:
Роберт wrote:

broken_escalator wrote:

Don't forget Eliot Spitzer. There are also Demcrats who do not-lewd acts with women who happen to be not their wives (John Edwards, Gary Hart, John Kennedy?).

But I think the most relevant data point is the most related and the most recent, which is Chris Lee, a representative from the other end of New York State who sent a shirtless photo to a woman he had met on Craigslist, and resigned the day he got called out over it. I like Anthony Weiner just fine, but I think he's going to have to fall on his sword over this and he'd be better off acting like it was his idea.

There's still the difference that he didn't claim to be a family values candidate. Which, is generally the reason the scandals on the right tend to be bigger deals.

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:03 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:News Article. He confessed that he lied about his twitter account being hacked, it really was just him.

Imo this was obvious from the moment he said, "I can neither confirm nor deny whether the photo is of me."
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:13 pm UTC

skeptical scientist wrote:
Роберт wrote:News Article. He confessed that he lied about his twitter account being hacked, it really was just him.

Imo this was obvious from the moment he said, "I can neither confirm nor deny whether the photo is of me."

Yeah, that's certainly suspicious.

It is certainly not as much of a problem for him as it is for someone who campaigned as family values. If he didn't break the law, I see no reason for him to resign.

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:16 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:There's still the difference that he didn't claim to be a family values candidate. Which, is generally the reason the scandals on the right tend to be bigger deals.

I don't think it much matters. The wiener jokes are going to be an anchor on him and everything he holds dear, and there very quickly comes a time when someone you like can do your job better than you can even if your constituents continue to support you. And the opposition only needs to find one woman who received these pictures and didn't appreciate it bwfore this takes a skeezy turn, and given his apparent lack of discretion I'm not sure whether that will be hard for them. He knows better than I ever hope to how much of the story remains untold, but I'm sure not going to defend him while the facts continue to drip out on Andrew Breitbart's schedule.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:19 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:
skeptical scientist wrote:

Yeah, that's certainly suspicious.

It is certainly not as much of a problem for him as it is for someone who campaigned as family values. If he didn't break the law, I see no reason for him to resign.

Unfortunately it's ammunition enough for his enemies that they could bog him down in PR garbage which makes it difficult to impossible to actually get any work done.

This is IMO why we will end up with Robot Overlords. They won't have to invade or rebel or anything like that, It's that robots will be the only candidates that will pass the impossibly high 'moral standards' that people expect of people in charge. They'll have a Regan-esque Teflon coating, or maybe literally coated in Teflon, so that nothing will stick, rhetorically or physically.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:24 pm UTC

"This was me doing a dumb thing, and doing it repeatedly, then lying about it," Weiner said.
I lied because... I didn't want to get caught.

One of the better, more honest sounding apologies.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:54 pm UTC

Tirian wrote:
Jahoclave wrote:There's still the difference that he didn't claim to be a family values candidate. Which, is generally the reason the scandals on the right tend to be bigger deals.

I don't think it much matters. The wiener jokes are going to be an anchor on him and everything he holds dear, and there very quickly comes a time when someone you like can do your job better than you can even if your constituents continue to support you. And the opposition only needs to find one woman who received these pictures and didn't appreciate it bwfore this takes a skeezy turn, and given his apparent lack of discretion I'm not sure whether that will be hard for them. He knows better than I ever hope to how much of the story remains untold, but I'm sure not going to defend him while the facts continue to drip out on Andrew Breitbart's schedule.

I was just pointing out why the reaction to this is different than that of most right-wing scandals.

I'm also quite annoyed that people who become quite vocal about the rights of the working class are tending to be douchey pricks. Seriously, I'm looking at you Edwards.

NonSequitur

Postby NonSequitur » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:46 am UTC

Another bit of unintentional comedy: CNN attributes Weiner's wife's statements to Nancy Pelosi.

At his press conference later that day, the New York Democrat said that Pelosi was "not happy" but "also told me that she loved me and wanted us to ... pull through this."

http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/06/06/ ... l.fallout/
The greatest trick Russell's teapot ever pulled was convincing the world it doesn't exist.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:19 am UTC

Tirian wrote:
Роберт wrote:

broken_escalator wrote:

Lee resigned because not only was he seeking a woman, his post was seeking kinky sex with a transsexual woman who still had male genitals. He wasn't going to be getting votes after that and his party would be dragged through the mud if he refused to resign and courter more coverage.

With that said, people do sure like to cut some slack to politicians they like. If this had been a Republican, the uproar and indignation ove refusal to resign would've been much louder.

This guy always seemed fishy to me given that he felt like he needed to yell and berate whenever given one of his speeches. He was more concerned with putting up a theater for his progressive base than truly seeking to win votes.

Now that he's caught as a fraud who used his position to slander Breitbart (even assholes should be protected from what Weiner did), the healthcare reform movement is going to sport one hell of a shiner thanks to having one of its iconic advocates fall into disgrace. For that, I hope he rots.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

Garm

Postby Garm » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:29 am UTC

Lucrece wrote:With that said, people do sure like to cut some slack to politicians they like. If this had been a Republican, the uproar and indignation ove refusal to resign would've been much louder.

Just to beat a dead horse, you'd think the John Ensign (R - NV) scandal would have been in the news and tabloids for ever but it wasn't. The guy had his parents pay hush money to a former staffer and wife. Sex, bribery, graft, corruption... it had it all... but nothing. Lee's case was unusual because he stepped down so promptly. It was hilarious because he wrote an op-ed about not putting pictures on the internet (link has been taken down). If you want to look at equivalancies, Dems come out on the bad end of sex scandals while Repubs do not. Here's a handy list provided by blogger Steve Benen:

...sex scandals just don't hurt Republicans the way they hurt Democrats. Consider the recent evidence -- Ensign (adultery), Sanford (adultery), Vitter (prostitutes and adultery), Craig (gay adultery), Gibbons (adultery), Giuliani and Gingrich (a lot of adultery) all had sex scandals during their tenure in public service. Not one resigned in the wake of the revelations.

Among Democrats, we have Spitzer (prostitutes and adultery), John Edwards (adultery), Massa (sexual harassment), and McGreevey (gay adultery), all of whom either resigned or are persona non grata in Dem circles.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:35 am UTC

The best part of the whole ordeal is Stephen Colbert's twitter feed:
<StephenAtHome> I cannot say with certitude that this is not part of my body. http://yfrog.com/h49aw2j #ivebeenhacked
<StephenAtHome> I cannot say with certitude that this is not part of my body. http://tinyurl.com/3mejspv #ivebeenhacked
<StephenAtHome> I cannot say with certitude that this is not part of my body. http://tinyurl.com/4v2gueb #ivebeenhacked
<StephenAtHome> I cannot say with certitude that this is not part of my body. http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lg11m ... o1_500.jpg #ivebeenhacked
<StephenAtHome> I cannot say with certitude that this is not part of my body. http://tinyurl.com/2fvzta7 #ivebeenhacked
<StephenAtHome> I cannot say with certitude that this is not part of my body. http://tinyurl.com/3t7k8oj #ivebeenhacked
<StephenAtHome> I cannot say with certitude that this is not part of my body. http://tinyurl.com/3292rjd #ivebeenhacked
<StephenAtHome> I cannot say with certitude that this is not part of my body. http://tinyurl.com/4xf4v6z #ivebeenhacked
<StephenAtHome> I cannot say with certitude that this is not part of my body. http://tinyurl.com/3lh3yq7 #ivebeenhacked
<StephenAtHome> I cannot say with certitude that this is not part of my body. http://tinyurl.com/3ok3kw8 #ivebeenhacked
<StephenAtHome> I cannot say with certitude that this is not part of my body. http://tinyurl.com/2u6zz87 #ivebeenhacked
<StephenAtHome> I cannot say with certitude that this is not part of my body. http://tinyurl.com/6cj5sog #ivebeenhacked
<StephenAtHome> I cannot say with certitude that this is not part of my body. http://tinyurl.com/3ujk6fh #ivebeenhacked
<StephenAtHome> I cannot say with certitude that this is not part of my body. http://bit.ly/kdAFKB #ivebeenhacked
<StephenAtHome> I cannot say with certitude that this is not part of my body. http://bit.ly/mQs36J #ivebeenhacked
<StephenAtHome> I cannot say with certitude that this is not part of my body. http://tinyurl.com/3s6oslx #ivebeenhacked
<StephenAtHome> I cannot say with certitude that this is not part of my body. http://tinyurl.com/5wqaeqt #ivebeenhacked
<StephenAtHome> ( )( ) ... Oh no! I think I just accidentally tweeted an emoticon of my ass! #ivebeenhacked

(The first one was posted during the show... the rest gradually over the course of the following day.)

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Garm

Postby Garm » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:59 am UTC

I especially like the last one. Who knew parentheses were so versatile.
- JFK

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:23 am UTC

...sex scandals just don't hurt Republicans the way they hurt Democrats. Consider the recent evidence -- Ensign (adultery), Sanford (adultery), Vitter (prostitutes and adultery), Craig (gay adultery), Gibbons (adultery), Giuliani and Gingrich (a lot of adultery) all had sex scandals during their tenure in public service. Not one resigned in the wake of the revelations.

Among Democrats, we have Spitzer (prostitutes and adultery), John Edwards (adultery), Massa (sexual harassment), and McGreevey (gay adultery), all of whom either resigned or are persona non grata in Dem circles.

Well, John Edwards definitely took a heck of a hit, but frankly, I think Repubs take a bigger hit because they have this nasty tendency to run on "family values" platforms.
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:42 am UTC

Heh, Weiner's weiner.

Pity though; I like his debating style.

THE GENTLEMAN WILL SIT!
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

Silknor

Postby Silknor » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:50 am UTC

Garm wrote: If you want to look at equivalancies, Dems come out on the bad end of sex scandals while Repubs do not. Here's a handy list provided by blogger Steve Benen:

The summary conveniently leaves out the examples of Clinton and Rep. Chris Lee. And Ensign ended up resigning.
Nikc wrote:Silknor is the JJ Abrams of mafia modding

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:10 am UTC

Arancaytar wrote:Heh, Weiner's weiner.

THE GENTLEMAN WILL SIT!

When your balls are that big, you gotta show'm to someone.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:36 am UTC

The Reaper wrote:

THE GENTLEMAN WILL SIT!

We only know about his dick, so we can't say with certitude that his balls are big. Perhaps we should ask him to tweet a confirmation.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:40 am UTC

Lucrece wrote:
The Reaper wrote:

THE GENTLEMAN WILL SIT!

We only know about his dick, so we can't say with certitude that his balls are big. Perhaps we should ask him to tweet a confirmation.

I just assumed they were attached to the bottom of his dick.... ;-;

Chuff
CHOO CHOO I'M A TRAIN

Postby Chuff » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:41 am UTC

THE GENTLEMAN WILL SIT!

THE GENTLEMAN IS CORRECT IN SITTING!
The Great Hippo wrote:The internet's chief exports are cute kittens, porn, and Reasons Why You Are Completely Fucking Wrong.
addams wrote:How human of him. "If, they can do it, then, I can do it." Humans. Pfft. Poor us.

LtNOWIS

Postby LtNOWIS » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:45 am UTC

Garm wrote: If you want to look at equivalancies, Dems come out on the bad end of sex scandals while Repubs do not. Here's a handy list provided by blogger Steve Benen:

Ensign's name is mud and his career is over. Even before he resigned, he was too unpopular to seek re-election. Gibbons also had to retire at the end of his term, although he had a ton of other scandals going on.

Stanford's future prospects were shattered. His chosen successor Nikki Haley went to last in the polls and had to claw her way back while distancing herself from him. He was censured and almost impeached.

Craig was publicly disgraced and couldn't seek re-election.

Giuliani and Gingrich's problems probably make it impossible for them to win Republican presidential primaries, although it's not the top issue.

David Vitter's really the only guy in national politics from either party who just shrugged off a major sex scandal, although that's probably because it was some years past when the truth came out, and some more years before he was up for re-election.

As for Weiner, he might just be toast. His Queens seat isn't nearly as safe as Charlie Rangel's Harlem seat.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:50 am UTC

The Reaper wrote:
Lucrece wrote:
The Reaper wrote:

THE GENTLEMAN WILL SIT!

I just assumed they were attached to the bottom of his dick.... ;-;

Such a lack of observation! Qualitative analysis is separate for each, obviously.

Prefanity

Postby Prefanity » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:09 am UTC

LtNOWIS wrote:Ensign's name is mud and his career is over. Even before he resigned, he was too unpopular to seek re-election.

I don't know. Given a less litigious result, I wouldn't have been surprised if we voted him in again. Name recognition seems to count for way too much in this state. (Then again, I was surprised when Sandoval won the nomination over Gibbons.)

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:14 am UTC

I've got some questions, but I don't know if I'm that interested in getting answers because the whole story is getting to the point where I am completely sick of hearing about a thing.

First off, why does anyone ever feel the need to add -gate to something already as concise and self explanatory as Weiner Picture?

More relevantly, why is Brietbart in the middle of this? Did the recipient of the picture specifically go to him and say "here's this, put it up on your site and make a huge deal of it"? Is it ok for him to just take and republish it?

For that matter, people keep reposting it. I haven't been watching real news, but multiple news blogs put it up, and Comedy Central had no problem putting it on t.v., it kinda... takes away from the scandalous-ness. Still embarrassing, inappropriate, behavior that may be very ass-holish in nature, but showing the audience the picture kinda clashes with saying that showing the picture to someone is very wrong.
Is it criminally ass-holish? I have no idea.

The complete lack of context makes me not want to think about it very much. I don't The Twitter, so I'm wondering if he took it down immediately after, is it like e-mail and it still went to the lady in Seattle, or is it like a blog and we only know about it because some one else saved it for us?

The lack of precedent also make this all weird. Some people were calling for the FBI to get involved if it was an actual hack; Why?
Others are saying he used his "Work Twitter" which is a concept my brain does not even know what to do with.

This is only tangentially related, but I'm fucking sick of "pranks" in political discourse.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:29 pm UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:First off, why does anyone ever feel the need to add -gate to something already as concise and self explanatory as Weiner Picture?

Watergate Scandal was one of the first 'modern' media-driven political scandals. During Franklin Delano Roosevelt's term the media was complicit in concealing his polio from the public. Kennedy was supposed to have had 'indiscretions' with Marylin Monroe, but the whole thing remained fairly hush-hush and didn't have a major effect on Kennedy's administration (as opposed to Clinton's impeachment) and media outlets rarely went 'digging' for scandals. That media 'cooperation' with the office of the President, and any/all other politicians for that mater, changed with the investigation and media following of events surrounding the burglary of the DNC headquarters at the Watergate building. Ever since then any political scandal tends to be referred to as <scandal>gate.

As to the rest of your questions: It's because of something that media outlets discovered with the coverage of the Watergate scandal, and why media outlets went from cooperative with political offices to mud digging smut-seekers: People love gossip. The worse the gossip about someone the more eyeballs it draws, and eyeballs are what advertisers pay for.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:39 pm UTC

Breitbart is involved because he wants to, quote, "save Weiner's family." Really, it's just pure altruism at work here.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School

Postby Radical_Initiator » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:18 pm UTC

Dauric wrote:This is IMO why we will end up with Robot Overlords. They won't have to invade or rebel or anything like that, It's that robots will be the only candidates that will pass the impossibly high 'moral standards' that people expect of people in charge. They'll have a Regan-esque Teflon coating, or maybe literally coated in Teflon, so that nothing will stick, rhetorically or physically.

"If the esteemed Senatron 9000 from Delaware will please readjust his optical sensor arrays for maximum resolution, he would be able to process the notion that this Senatron 9500 is clearly covered by an ultrahydrophobic layer of polyhedral oligomeric silsesquioxanes, thus his attempts at propelling semi-liquid combinations of water and/or soil in my direction will most certainly fail, as they cannot adhere to me. Thus, the Senatron must yield the floor."
I looked out across the river today …

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:21 pm UTC

Radical_Initiator wrote:"If the esteemed Senatron 9000 from Delaware will please readjust his optical sensor arrays for maximum resolution, he would be able to process the notion that this Senatron 9500 is clearly covered by an ultrahydrophobic layer of polyhedral oligomeric silsesquioxanes, thus his attempts at propelling semi-liquid combinations of water and/or soil in my direction will most certainly fail, as they cannot adhere to me. Thus, the Senatron must yield the floor."

"THE SENATRON WILL YEILD THE FLOOR.
THE SENATRON WILL YIELD THE FLOOR.
THE SENATRON WILL YIELD THE FLOOR."

Return to “News & Articles”