Mayor Runs over Car With Armored Personel Carrier

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 pm UTC
Contact:

Mayor Runs over Car With Armored Personel Carrier

Postby Jahoclave » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:00 am UTC

Vilnius mayor goes over the top in crackdown on parking violators

Honestly, I'm pretty sure he just wanted to have an APC crush things.

Tirian
Posts: 1891
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:03 pm UTC

Re: Mayor Runs over Car With Armored Personel Carrier

Postby Tirian » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:31 am UTC

The car, Juskenaite added, was bought specifically for the stunt.


Wow, Guardian, way to bury the most relevant piece of information in the last sentence of the article.

nitePhyyre
Posts: 1280
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:31 am UTC

Re: Mayor Runs over Car With Armored Personel Carrier

Postby nitePhyyre » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:30 am UTC

That looks like fun! My turn!
sourmìlk wrote:Monopolies are not when a single company controls the market for a single product.

You don't become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard you become great in the process.

User avatar
folkhero
Posts: 1775
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:34 am UTC

Re: Mayor Runs over Car With Armored Personel Carrier

Postby folkhero » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:39 am UTC

So is this guy a supervillain or superhero?

edit: either way he's awesome.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

User avatar
rigwarl
Posts: 759
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:36 pm UTC

Re: Mayor Runs over Car With Armored Personel Carrier

Postby rigwarl » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:39 pm UTC

Tirian wrote:
The car, Juskenaite added, was bought specifically for the stunt.


Wow, Guardian, way to bury the most relevant piece of information in the last sentence of the article.


This pretty much.

User avatar
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad
Posts: 3038
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Re: Mayor Runs over Car With Armored Personel Carrier

Postby Steax » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:38 am UTC

The true nature of the whole thing was indeed hidden in two uses of the word "stunt", and that last line. The rest of the article implies he actually drove over real cars parked there by other people.

/shakes head and walks away
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

User avatar
Arancaytar
Posts: 1642
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:54 am UTC
Location: 52.44°N, 13.55°E
Contact:

Re: Mayor Runs over Car With Armored Personel Carrier

Postby Arancaytar » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:18 pm UTC

Real-life Black Hat Guy!
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.
Image

User avatar
Elvish Pillager
Posts: 1009
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:58 pm UTC
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.
Contact:

Re: Mayor Runs over Car With Armored Personel Carrier

Postby Elvish Pillager » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:01 am UTC

Real life person playing at being Black Hat Guy.

The real Black Hat Guy would probably find some way to epically pwn this guy at his own game.
Also known as Eli Dupree. Check out elidupree.com for my comics, games, and other work.

GENERATION A(g64, g64): Social experiment. Take the busy beaver function of the generation number and add it to your signature.

User avatar
Vieto
Posts: 1558
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:44 pm UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Mayor Runs over Car With Armored Personel Carrier

Postby Vieto » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:34 am UTC

folkhero wrote:So is this guy a supervillain or superhero?

edit: either way he's awesome.


He is the mayor of Vilnius, which sounds villainous to me.

User avatar
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Mayor Runs over Car With Armored Personel Carrier

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:59 am UTC

Vieto wrote:
folkhero wrote:So is this guy a supervillain or superhero?

edit: either way he's awesome.


He is the mayor of Vilnius, which sounds villainous to me.

There was also that bribery or whatever it was scandal.

User avatar
Triangle_Man
WINNING
Posts: 1500
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 8:41 pm UTC
Location: CANADA

Re: Mayor Runs over Car With Armored Personel Carrier

Postby Triangle_Man » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:34 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:
Vieto wrote:
folkhero wrote:So is this guy a supervillain or superhero?

edit: either way he's awesome.


He is the mayor of Vilnius, which sounds villainous to me.

There was also that bribery or whatever it was scandal.


So...

Real Life Supervillian?

At least he isn't as evil as Sunnydale's Mayor was...
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

User avatar
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Mayor Runs over Car With Armored Personel Carrier

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:41 am UTC

Triangle_Man wrote:
Jahoclave wrote:
Vieto wrote:
folkhero wrote:So is this guy a supervillain or superhero?

edit: either way he's awesome.


He is the mayor of Vilnius, which sounds villainous to me.

There was also that bribery or whatever it was scandal.


So...

Real Life Supervillian?

At least he isn't as evil as Sunnydale's Mayor was...

Well, back in the county were I grew up they were having a contest to see which mayor could be the most corrupt. I do believe my city's won with the federal bribery charges. Then again, he was completely a stooge for the Anheiser Busch family anyways.

User avatar
folkhero
Posts: 1775
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:34 am UTC

Re: Mayor Runs over Car With Armored Personel Carrier

Postby folkhero » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:58 am UTC

Vieto wrote:He is the mayor of Vilnius, which sounds villainous to me.

Good point.
Jahoclave wrote:here was also that bribery or whatever it was scandal.

Bribery sounds like a pretty mundane form of villainy, not really very super-villainous.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

User avatar
Arancaytar
Posts: 1642
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:54 am UTC
Location: 52.44°N, 13.55°E
Contact:

Re: Mayor Runs over Car With Armored Personel Carrier

Postby Arancaytar » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:00 am UTC

Elvish Pillager wrote:Real life person playing at being Black Hat Guy.

The real Black Hat Guy would probably find some way to epically pwn this guy at his own game.


Anti-tank mine hidden in the car's trunk?
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.
Image

User avatar
Deep_Thought
Posts: 857
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:58 pm UTC
Location: North of the River

Re: Mayor Runs over Car With Armored Personel Carrier

Postby Deep_Thought » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:18 am UTC

Tirian wrote:Wow, Guardian, way to bury the most relevant piece of information in the last sentence of the article.

Isn't this how all newspaper articles work though? I almost want to read most of them backwards these days.

User avatar
Elvish Pillager
Posts: 1009
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:58 pm UTC
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.
Contact:

Re: Mayor Runs over Car With Armored Personel Carrier

Postby Elvish Pillager » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:19 pm UTC

Arancaytar wrote:
Elvish Pillager wrote:Real life person playing at being Black Hat Guy.

The real Black Hat Guy would probably find some way to epically pwn this guy at his own game.


Anti-tank mine hidden in the car's trunk?

Yes. That.
Also known as Eli Dupree. Check out elidupree.com for my comics, games, and other work.

GENERATION A(g64, g64): Social experiment. Take the busy beaver function of the generation number and add it to your signature.

Tirian
Posts: 1891
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:03 pm UTC

Re: Mayor Runs over Car With Armored Personel Carrier

Postby Tirian » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:13 pm UTC

Deep_Thought wrote:
Tirian wrote:Wow, Guardian, way to bury the most relevant piece of information in the last sentence of the article.

Isn't this how all newspaper articles work though? I almost want to read most of them backwards these days.


Back in the day, when newspapers were printed on paper, I was taught that journalists had to front-load the information because they never knew how many paragraphs the editor would have to trim to make it fit on the page. I don't know if online media ushered in a different consideration or if newspapers outside the United States never used this rule. My reaction has generally been to stop reading newspapers altogether if they are more interested in perpetuating hoaxes than in debunking them.

User avatar
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Mayor Runs over Car With Armored Personel Carrier

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:37 pm UTC

Tirian wrote:
Deep_Thought wrote:
Tirian wrote:Wow, Guardian, way to bury the most relevant piece of information in the last sentence of the article.

Isn't this how all newspaper articles work though? I almost want to read most of them backwards these days.


Back in the day, when newspapers were printed on paper, I was taught that journalists had to front-load the information because they never knew how many paragraphs the editor would have to trim to make it fit on the page. I don't know if online media ushered in a different consideration or if newspapers outside the United States never used this rule. My reaction has generally been to stop reading newspapers altogether if they are more interested in perpetuating hoaxes than in debunking them.

Well, also, I think when you're writing fluff pieces your journalistic considerations aren't all that high. The problem is when all the pieces become fluffy and not cute.


Return to “News & Articles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests