Texas governor hosts Christian rally

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Texas governor hosts Christian rally

Postby Lazar » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:25 pm UTC

From CBS News: Texas governor and likely Republican presidential candidate Rick Perry is hosting a Christian-only "prayer and fasting event" in Houston today. Much of the event's funding comes from the homophobic and Islamophobic American Family Association; speakers include an unsurprising, though disheartening, crew of pro-theocrats and "Oprah Winfrey is the Antichrist" types (not kidding). On the bright(ish) side, only about ten thousand people have registered to attend.

His invitational video from June: "With the economy in trouble, communities in crisis, and people adrift in a sea of moral relativism, we need God's help. That's why I'm calling on Americans to pray and fast like Jesus did and as God called the Israelites to do in the Book of Joel."

Perry earlier in June: "I think in America from time to time we have to go through some difficult times - and I think we’re going through those difficult economic times for a purpose, to bring us back to those biblical principles of you know, you don’t spend all the money. You work hard for those six years and you put up that seventh year in the warehouse to take you through the hard times. And not spending all of our money. Not asking for Pharaoh to give everything to everybody and to take care of folks because at the end of the day, it’s slavery. We become slaves to government."
Last edited by Lazar on Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:45 pm UTC, edited 7 times in total.
Exit the vampires' castle.

podbaydoor

Re: Texas governor hosts Christian rally

Postby podbaydoor » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:27 pm UTC

Atheist Association lost the lawsuit to keep Perry from attending in official governor capacity. Also he has insisted that no tax dollars are being used, but has not made the financing public.

It makes me want to vomit.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:06 pm UTC

If the US government is supposed to be representative of the people, is it really slavery to give a shit about other people than yourself?

qetzal

Postby qetzal » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:13 pm UTC

I'd very much like to see someone photoshop Perry's face next to 4 or 5 of the looniest speakers at that rally, with some of their bizarre and hateful quotes. Like the guy who thinks Oprah is the Antichrist, and the one who says that the Statue of Liberty is a demonic idol.

I'd like to see such an image go viral right around the time Perry announces his candidacy.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:14 pm UTC

I'm not against public prayers by a governor per say... or even governors who publicly admit that they're especially religious.

But I'm against blatantly invoking God's name for political gains.

podbaydoor wrote:Atheist Association lost the lawsuit to keep Perry from attending in official governor capacity. Also he has insisted that no tax dollars are being used, but has not made the financing public.

It makes me want to vomit.

I think we can trust Perry on it. Politicians are especially good at raising private money to host events. Its kind of their specialty. My guess is that he's keeping it private because he is pulling it from his campaign funds or something really fishy... but nothing illegal.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:16 pm UTC

This is good, it means anyone who isn't a fundie us going to know to not vote for him for a potential presidential run
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:18 pm UTC

I get the feeling we're going to be that complacent every time a super religious politician starts stepping onto the national stage, and we'll be right, every time, until the one time we're wrong and we lose any semblance of not being a theocracy.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:21 pm UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:I get the feeling we're going to be that complacent every time a super religious politician starts stepping onto the national stage, and we'll be right, every time, until the one time we're wrong and we lose any semblance of not being a theocracy.

I'd have to disagree with your statement... Even if a guy like Perry becomes President, I don't think we'd be anywhere near a theocracy yet. There is no political will to turn the United States into a "Christian State". (There's a lot of push back against "Sharia Law"... but no one pushing for religious unity across States or anything I'd expect from a theocracy)

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:33 pm UTC

Just wondering, but does the Christian belief for fasting apply specifically around this time of year? I mean, this so happens to coincide pretty well with the Muslim fasting month...
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:38 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure the only fasting Christians do is lent, and that's only (non-fish-)meat on Fridays, and is in spring. Or at least, that's the only widely spread one. This just seems to be a general "ooo, fasting is good, right? Lets do that".

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:40 pm UTC

What's that, hard fundamentalists are similar?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:43 pm UTC

Steax wrote:Just wondering, but does the Christian belief for fasting apply specifically around this time of year? I mean, this so happens to coincide pretty well with the Muslim fasting month...

No, Perry says he called for the event because the country is at a particular moment of crisis. (More realistically, he will be announcing his presidential bid soon, and he's decided to go all-in crazy in order to maximize his support among fundamentalist primary voters.) The Islamic calendar uses a year of 12 lunar cycles, so Ramadan moves back by 11 or 12 days each Western year.
Last edited by Lazar on Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:52 pm UTC, edited 9 times in total.

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:44 pm UTC

That's specifically a Catholic thing (about the fish and all), but yeah, Lent is the only time in Western Christianity specifically associated with fasting. The Eastern Orthodox Church has a lot more fasting, but I doubt that's relevant here.
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:18 pm UTC

TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:That's specifically a Catholic thing (about the fish and all), but yeah, Lent is the only time in Western Christianity specifically associated with fasting. The Eastern Orthodox Church has a lot more fasting, but I doubt that's relevant here.

Catholic Fasting is so easy compared to everyone else. :D Only two days / year are actually fasting... and you can still eat one full meal on those days. You have to eat vegitarian for those "days of Abstinence", but Fish is apparently a vegetable.

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:20 pm UTC

Still a lot more days than most Protestants.
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:54 pm UTC

Lazar wrote:
Steax wrote:Just wondering, but does the Christian belief for fasting apply specifically around this time of year? I mean, this so happens to coincide pretty well with the Muslim fasting month...

No, Perry says he called for the event because the country is at a particular moment of crisis. (More realistically, he will be announcing his presidential bid soon, and he's decided to go all-in crazy in order to maximize his support among fundamentalist primary voters.) The Islamic calendar uses a year of 12 lunar cycles, so Ramadan moves back by 11 or 12 days each Western year.

I'm well aware of that, since I'm fasting myself right now (well, I will be in 3 hours or so). I was just wondering why he seemed keen on fasting, and wondering if there was a historical/religious/whatever significance that the two religions have in common, causing them to want to fast at the same time. Apparently, the answer is no.

So... I guess it's a coincidence.

Also, fish is a vegetable. That way you get to spend the day eating sushi.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:09 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:This is good, it means anyone who isn't a fundie us going to know to not vote for him for a potential presidential run

Like people knew not to vote for Dubya (twice)?
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:14 pm UTC

Steax wrote:I'm well aware of that, since I'm fasting myself right now (well, I will be in 3 hours or so).

Oh, sorry. I completely overlooked your signature. ;)

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:00 pm UTC

Dear United States of America,

I apologize in advance for Rick Perry, and the depressing fact that not enough people could get off their butts in years past to vote this nutcase out of Texas Governorship.

Cathy
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:37 pm UTC

Steax wrote:
Lazar wrote:

I'm well aware of that, since I'm fasting myself right now (well, I will be in 3 hours or so). I was just wondering why he seemed keen on fasting, and wondering if there was a historical/religious/whatever significance that the two religions have in common, causing them to want to fast at the same time. Apparently, the answer is no.

So... I guess it's a coincidence.

Also, fish is a vegetable. That way you get to spend the day eating sushi.

There is the connection that with fasting comes a higher sense of holiness. It isn't done very often in Catholicism, and it does seem even less prevalent in Protestants... but the idea is still there. Ironically, "a day of Prayer and Fasting" will probably have a potluck or some other feast in the lineup. We all know that fasting makes you holier, its just that we're really really bad at it.

"Fasting" is just a word that is thrown around, and unfortunately doesn't have the same weight as when other religions use the word. Generally speaking, priests and monks probably will keep the fast. But the general lay people (in my experience) don't seem to follow it as often.

LtNOWIS

Postby LtNOWIS » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:37 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:This is good, it means anyone who isn't a fundie us going to know to not vote for him for a potential presidential run

Oh please. There are a lot of non-fundamentalists who don't really care about this. Especially in Republican primaries, which is his first hurdle. There are a lot of Americans who aren't especially religious, but don't have a problem with people who are.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:06 pm UTC

Religions are like genitalia. It's OK to have them, but don't whip them out in public, don't argue about whose is better, and keep them away from my kids.

Levi

Postby Levi » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:39 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:don't argue about whose is better

I can't agree with this. What the hell would I use my genitalia for if not as a point of contention?

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:07 am UTC

I am not particularly upset about this. In fact, I would go as far as to say that I don't care whatsoever. Then again, I'm not going to vote unless I see an unmarried atheist candidate that seems to have a chance of actually winning. Hell, I'll settle for just unmarried or just atheist.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:09 am UTC

Thesh wrote: Hell, I'll settle for just unmarried or just atheist.

We've had both before, but never both at the same time.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:13 am UTC

We have that in a Prime Minister right now! And she's a woman!

...It doesn't solve as many problems as you might think.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:22 am UTC

What president did we have that was atheist?

I don't think it would be possible for an unmarried and/or atheist candidate to get elected today. Until that is possible, I think too many American voters have their priorities wrong, and I'll vote when they wake up and get their heads out of their asses.

It's not necessarily because I think they would do a better job. It's just that I would take it as a sign people in the US have woken the fuck up.

EDIT: Note that I will run in 2020 under the guns, drugs, prosititution, and gambling party. I'll likely still be single and atheist during that time, although something tells me I won't win.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:29 am UTC

Thesh wrote:What president did we have that was atheist?

I've seen people claim that Jefferson, Lincoln and others were atheists based on some anti-religious quotations, but it's impossible to confirm.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:39 am UTC

Lazar wrote:
Thesh wrote:What president did we have that was atheist?

I've seen people claim that Jefferson, Lincoln and others were atheists based on some anti-religious quotations, but it's impossible to confirm.

Yeah, I was thinking Jefferson and Lincoln. Although there is no hard statement, Jefferson was fairly anti-religion and skeptic in general. At the very least we know he wasn't a Christian, and that he requested in all his letters regarding his views on religion, to be discreet and not share those views. Which makes it hard to find specific examples where his views are known. Given that he thought his views were a political liability and his general skepticism... I think atheism was most likely.

Jefferson wrote:Fix Reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve the homage of reason than of blindfolded fear. ... Do not be frightened from this inquiry by any fear of its consequences. If it end in a belief that there is no God, you will find incitements to virtue in the comfort and pleasantness you feel in its exercise and in the love of others which it will procure for you
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:52 am UTC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB_wBoHM ... r_embedded

And from the same rally a call for Jews to cast away their blindness and come to the true faith of Christianity.

I didn't think they would be so stupid as to openly condescend to Jewish people; but, hey, crossing my fingers that it makes the news and they have to go into PR mop-up mode as they try to clear themselves of anti-Semitic charges.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

Low Caliber

Postby Low Caliber » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:01 am UTC

Steax wrote:
Lazar wrote:
Steax wrote:Also, fish is a vegetable. That way you get to spend the day eating sushi.

Also, beavers are fish! So you can still eat beavers!

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:19 am UTC

Lucrece wrote:And from the same rally a call for Jews to cast away their blindness and come to the true faith of Christianity.

I have seen the light!

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:52 am UTC

Low Caliber wrote:
Steax wrote:Also, fish is a vegetable. That way you get to spend the day eating sushi.

We can easily classify mammals as a special case of land fish....

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:08 am UTC

The Reaper wrote:
Low Caliber wrote:

We can easily classify mammals as a special case of land fish....

Too bad most aquatic-only mammals are endangered/protected (dolphins, whales, etc)....
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:15 am UTC

What I often find ironically interesting is when people who bitch about the Jewish run media then go out of their way to be offensive to Jews.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:15 pm UTC

Consistency? In MY far-right religious extremism?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:51 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:What I often find ironically interesting is when people who bitch about the Jewish run media then go out of their way to be offensive to Jews.

While at the same time being adamantly pro-Israel. Ya know, so the Apocalypse can happen.

Odd_nonposter

Postby Odd_nonposter » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:35 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Religions are like genitalia. It's OK to have them, but don't whip them out in public, don't argue about whose is better, and keep them away from my kids.

I find this siggable.
CorruptUser wrote:Religions are like genitalia. It's OK to have them, but don't whip them out in public, don't argue about whose is better, and keep them away from my kids.

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:26 pm UTC

The no-meat-but-fish-on-Friday thing was a means of supporting the Catholic fishermen, IIRC.

natraj

Postby natraj » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:56 pm UTC

EsotericWombat wrote:The no-meat-but-fish-on-Friday thing was a means of supporting the Catholic fishermen, IIRC.

Out of curiosity, do you have a source on that? It is one of those myths I hear now and then that nobody can ever actually cite any facts behind.

Personally I blame fish-on-Fridays for so many people who ask "you're vegetarian? Well do you eat fish?" :evil:

/off topic
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

Return to “News & Articles”