Diamond Planet Discovered

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

quartrmster007
Location: Atlanta, Georgia...but if "home is where the heart is", London. <3

Diamond Planet Discovered

Postby quartrmster007 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:36 pm UTC

So, scientists have discovered a planet they believe to be solid diamond. It's 5 times the size of Earth, and 4000 light years away, orbiting a neutron star. Bloomberg

So, who's in favor of breaking off a rather large chunk of this rock, starting a massive outer space gemcutting operation to create a glorious spherical diamond, and replacing the moon with said rock?

It'd make solar eclipses rather interesting. :mrgreen:
SlightlyEvil wrote:
Heh, you just missed the forest and hit the tree head-on.

sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?

Re: Diamond Planet Discovered

Postby sourmìlk » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:39 pm UTC

If by "interesting" you mean "terrifying", then yes. but that would be awesome. Would it actually create a lens though, or is the opacity of diamond such that, even when clear and cut well, a few thousand miles is enough to black out any light going through it. Either way, it would be shiny.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:44 pm UTC

The real question is if the sheer size of this diamond would be enough to justify an expedition to harvest it, if FTL travel ever is invented.
Spoiler:

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:49 pm UTC

Internetmeme wrote:The real question is if the sheer size of this diamond would be enough to justify an expedition to harvest it, if FTL travel ever is invented.

YES IT WOULD BE. Also, I'd imagine that the density of a diamond is far higher than the average density of the moon: should we change its orbit or just use less? Or is that not necessary and I'm confused about how gravity works?
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

quartrmster007

Postby quartrmster007 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:50 pm UTC

That's what I was thinking...it could just come down to cutting it right so that it's not like, ya know, Icarus from Die Another Day. And yeah, sourmilk, another valid point...density is mass/volume...gravity is mass- and distance-dependent...so, we'd either have the same size moon farther away, or a smaller moon to compensate for the increased density...

On a related note...this is all just one big Pink Floyd reference, seeing as it was probably a star long ago...

"Remember when you were young...you shone like the sun....SHINE ON YOU CRAAAAAAAAAAZY DIAMOND..."
SlightlyEvil wrote:

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:10 pm UTC

If we managed to bring that thing here (without distorting gravity and fucking up THE WHOLE WORLD), I would imagine the fiscal value of diamonds would very quickly become less than that of toilet paper. Maybe...
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

quartrmster007

Postby quartrmster007 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:17 pm UTC

Well, you could put it into orbit close to Jupiter's...maybe 'diametrically' opposed to Jupiter, so that gravitational issues are to a minimum (if my understanding is correct)...so, it wouldn't screw up the whole world...just the diamond industry...

Another question to those reading this thread: odds of a hydrocarbon surface? And, would said theoretical hydrocarbons be oil? If so, that could be a REALLY useful planet, bar the "Oh, we've got shitloads of oil now, we don't need to pursue alternative energy..." response that would be apt to occur.
SlightlyEvil wrote:

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:25 pm UTC

thicknavyrain wrote:If we managed to bring that thing here (without distorting gravity and fucking up THE WHOLE WORLD), I would imagine the fiscal value of diamonds would very quickly become less than that of toilet paper. Maybe...

I don't see this as a problem. And all we have to do is use the diamond to knock the moon out of orbit. That way, the gravity change is fast enough that we've replaced it without anybody noticing.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:51 pm UTC

If half of mars is worth a diamond the size of a car, how much would a diamond the size of Mars be worth?

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:02 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:If half of mars is worth a diamond the size of a car, how much would a diamond the size of Mars be worth?

A car? Did I do it right?
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:23 pm UTC

No, 2 cars!

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:59 pm UTC

Shoot! I'll never get into Mars University at this rate.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:00 am UTC

quartrmster007 wrote:it wouldn't screw up the whole world...just the diamond industry...
Diamonds have already been held artificially expensive for years. I'm sure the cartel would find a way to maintain that monopoly even in the case of a planet's worth of the stuff...
Last edited by gmalivuk on Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:57 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

addams

Postby addams » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:17 am UTC

folkhero wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:If half of mars is worth a diamond the size of a car, how much would a diamond the size of Mars be worth?

A car? Did I do it right?

Yes.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Soralin

Postby Soralin » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:12 am UTC

quartrmster007 wrote:So, who's in favor of breaking off a rather large chunk of this rock, starting a massive outer space gemcutting operation to create a glorious spherical diamond, and replacing the moon with said rock?

No, instead, bring the whole thing back, stick it in Earth's orbit, and make Earth its moon. :)

Although it would be much easier to just manufacture all the diamond you want rather than bring material back over interstellar distances.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:13 am UTC

Soralin wrote:
quartrmster007 wrote:So, who's in favor of breaking off a rather large chunk of this rock, starting a massive outer space gemcutting operation to create a glorious spherical diamond, and replacing the moon with said rock?

No, instead, bring the whole thing back, stick it in Earth's orbit, and make Earth its moon. :)

Although it would be much easier to just manufacture all the diamond you want rather than bring material back over interstellar distances.

I like your idea, but I'm worried: would it substantially affect the environment? Or can we keep our current moon, in which case we're fine.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:18 am UTC

My first thought was Clarke's 2010. Well, my first thought once I'd deduced the topic of the article from the fucking ridiculous headline on my newspaper's website: "It's the big bling theory as astronomers discover a girl's best friend in the universe". Seriously, WTF.
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.

dumbzebra

Postby dumbzebra » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:59 pm UTC

Are diamonds for some weird linguistic reason considered metals in the english langauge? I see "planet out of hardest metal" all over the internet...
Also: Diamonds could be toilet paper cheap already if not for cartels. I mean, we can even artifically created diamonds pretty cheaply....
As the great philosopher Socrates once said: "No."

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:15 pm UTC

But artificial diamonds don't have the shine natural diamonds have.

...or so I've heard from some De Beers sponsored material.

Robert'); DROP TABLE *;

Postby Robert'); DROP TABLE *; » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:33 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
quartrmster007 wrote:it wouldn't screw up the whole world...just the diamond industry...
Diamonds have already been held artificially cheap for years. I'm sure the cartel would find a way to maintain that monopoly even in the case of a planet's worth of the stuff...

Do you mean artificially expensive? I don't see how artificially cheap would make any business sense.
...And that is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:44 pm UTC

My favorite thing about de beers is that they were able to convince the world that the South African diamonds, which are brownish, were superior to clear diamonds.

That's like convincing people that the wine with the chunks floating around is a better vintage.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:57 pm UTC

Robert'); DROP TABLE *; wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:
Diamonds have already been held artificially cheap for years. I'm sure the cartel would find a way to maintain that monopoly even in the case of a planet's worth of the stuff...

Do you mean artificially expensive? I don't see how artificially cheap would make any business sense.
Right. Fixed.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:03 pm UTC

dumbzebra wrote:Are diamonds for some weird linguistic reason considered metals in the english langauge? I see "planet out of hardest metal" all over the internet...
Also: Diamonds could be toilet paper cheap already if not for cartels. I mean, we can even artifically created diamonds pretty cheaply....

Diamonds are not metals in english. That's sort of the joke. It's a meme, based on how laughably stupid it is to call diamonds metals. See this.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:33 pm UTC

Just do what they did in 3001: Final Odyssey and declare all of that diamond to be "industrial-class diamond" which can only be used for construction purposes.

Also: If we can transport a planet of diamond that many light-years, I bet that we'll be able to just create the diamond. Unless we want to go there and use that as our forward outpost for colonization, creating ships out of diamond and so forth and launching them from there.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:46 am UTC

Internetmeme wrote:The real question is if the sheer size of this diamond would be enough to justify an expedition to harvest it, if FTL travel ever is invented.

I dunno. How much does magic cost?

(which is to say, the price of FTL travel is kindof a giant gaping "fucked if I know" in the middle of that analysis)
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:33 am UTC

Considering that an object traveling at a mere .9C has the equivalent energy of its mass being completely annihilated by antimatter, I'd say it'd simply be cheaper to put everyone on earth in suspended animation for a few hundred million years while physicists play galactic billiard with the planets to bring us a giant hunk of diamond.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:35 am UTC

The planet was discovered orbiting a dead star spinning hundreds of times a second

O_O

screw faster than light travel, at least figure out how to take off from the thing with any sort of accuracy?
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:00 am UTC

If you're going to try to land on, let alone take off from, a neutron star, the accuracy of your trajectory is the least of your worries.
---

(he/him/his)

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:23 am UTC

But I have an iron pickaxe! I will have all the diamond!

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:15 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:My favorite thing about de beers is that they were able to convince the world that the South African diamonds, which are brownish, were superior to clear diamonds.

That's like convincing people that the wine with the chunks floating around is a better vintage.

I thought the story was more the opposite. De Beers made brown diamonds unattractive, to make 'real' diamonds more rare. While Rio Tinto in Australia started the marketing campaign for brown diamonds, because they have lots of those and few of the others.

Iulus Cofield wrote:But artificial diamonds don't have the shine natural diamonds have.

...or so I've heard from some De Beers sponsored material.

I was recently reading an interview with the owner of a diamond-cutting firm, and he sounded quite enthusiast about artificial diamonds. He sold them under a different brand name, but his vision was a large market for artificial diamonds and a special market for natural diamonds, like for pearls.

For a diamond cutter, this must be a tricky balance. More diamonds means more business, but on the other hand people are willing to spends lots on the cutting because the stones themselves are even more expensive. If the stones are cheap, people will probably go for cheaper cuts too.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:44 pm UTC

Another object was found orbiting the dead star: two tickets to that thing you love.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Prefanity

Postby Prefanity » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:46 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:Another object was found orbiting the dead star: two tickets to that thing you love.

I've been thinking, "look again, that planet you love is now diamonds" for a few minutes now.

dustyshouri

Postby dustyshouri » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:22 pm UTC

As far as the science goes... how possible is this? I'm not an astrologist but I have never imagined such a thing occurring. Apparently it's not a planet, but a star that was once carbon-based and was eventually stripped leaving its core behind? How/why would a star pressurize its core into a solid material? Even if it is a planet, how does this occur? I'm quite interested in how an entire body of diamond could be out there but none of the articles seem to cover the details.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:49 pm UTC

The carbon was the heaviest element (well, major element) in the star, and as the hydrogen and helium burnt off and exploded out into space (dying stars do lose their mass like this after going supernova), all that was left was the heavier mass in the middle, which though intense heat and pressure was formed into a crystalline structure (may not actually be diamond).

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:54 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:The carbon was the heaviest element (well, major element) in the star, and as the hydrogen and helium burnt off and exploded out into space (dying stars do lose their mass like this after going supernova), all that was left was the heavier mass in the middle, which though intense heat and pressure was formed into a crystalline structure (may not actually be diamond).

Contains Genuine Imitation compressed Carbon products. Image on packaging is only suggestive of product appearance, actual diamond content may vary.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:22 pm UTC

dustyshouri wrote:I'm not an astrologist
Good, because astrology is crap. Astronomy, on the other hand...

How/why would a star pressurize its core into a solid material?
Gravity. The gas giants in our own solar system likely have solid cores, too. Only difference is none of them started out massive enough to become stars.
---

(he/him/his)

dustyshouri

Postby dustyshouri » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:57 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
dustyshouri wrote:I'm not an astrologist
Good, because astrology is crap. Astronomy, on the other hand...

Heh, sorry. I know the difference between the two and I'm not sure why I made the mistake! Apologies to any astronomers who were insulted!

Gravity. The gas giants in our own solar system likely have solid cores, too. Only difference is none of them started out massive enough to become stars.

Ah, I didn't think stars had solid cores, so that's interesting to learn!

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:02 pm UTC

Well I'm not sure most stars do, either, while they're still active. But it doesn't seem surprising that one might become solid after it stops producing so much heat, since it's the pressure from that which gives normal stars such low density.
---

(he/him/his)

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:26 am UTC

Well, the gas giants have "metallic hydrogen" cores, which is gas compressed until it behaves like a solid.

Kain

Postby Kain » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:47 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:
dumbzebra wrote:Are diamonds for some weird linguistic reason considered metals in the english langauge? I see "planet out of hardest metal" all over the internet...

Diamonds are not metals in english. That's sort of the joke. It's a meme, based on how laughably stupid it is to call diamonds metals. See this.

Sorry to get to this so late: while most cases of calling diamond a metal may be based on that meme, in some branches of astronomy it is actually a common practice to call everything other than Hydrogen and Helium "Metals"
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Return to “News & Articles”